Reporting bugs is important to improve the quality of Lubuntu and of all the software included. Before you can report bugs, if you not have a Launchpad account please do follow These Instructions.
Where to report bugs ?
Bug on a specific component
If you find a bug on a specific component, run in a terminal "ubuntu-bug the_name_of_the_component".
If ubuntu-bug is not available, you need to install apport ("sudo apt-get install apport"). See: Enabling Apport
Names of important component :
- the panel : lxpanel
- the filemanager : pcmanfm
- the login manager : lightdm (lxdm before 12.04).
- the windows manager : openbox
- the music player : audacious
- the video player : gnome-mplayer
You also can see the detailled list of applications on Lubuntu.
Request for adding a new program or a new package
Please report a bug against lubuntu-desktop package, using this command "ubuntu-bug lubuntu-desktop"
Missing translation, or bugs
Please refer to the Lubuntu/Translations page directly.
Don't know where to report ?
In the case you still don't know where to report a bug, please use "ubuntu-bug lubuntu-desktop" command in a terminal.
Improve bug reports
Use up-to-date packages
When people report bug against stable version of Lubuntu, it's interesting to test with an up-to-date package. You can find packages from unstable Lubuntu versions in LXDE PPA. If you want to test against the newest upstream version, you can try the testing LXDE PPA
When a program crash, it's useful to report a backtrace of the crash. To do so, follow those instructions :
- Install gdb with "sudo apt-get install gdb"
- Install useful debug packages with "sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-0-dbg libgtk2.0-0-dbg"
Install the debug package of the program you want to debug. See the wiki instruction
Generate the Backtrace using the wiki instruction
- You can also pass --g-fatal-warnings inside gdb to debug gobject criticals
Enable automatic reports
- Install apport : "sudo apt-get install apport"
Follow the instructions on the wiki.
Managing bugs with others teams
TODO : adding lubuntu tag ?