Launchpad Entry: foundations-lucid-apt-netrc-mechanism
Packages affected: apt
The goal is provide a way to store username/password information for apt in a secure location (600). Currently the password needs to be stored in the sources.list and that file is by default world readable (644).
TBD. It is mandatory.
Storing the authentication information is useful for environments that use private PPAs.
A netrc parser is added to libapt that is then used accross all the download backends that apt supports.
The following steps needs to be taken
- implement netrc parser (Dir::Etc::netrc)
- add a dir.d directory (Dir::Etc::netrcdir)
- setup test environment / regressions/unit tests
- look into using for proxy passwords as well
- the "machine" keyword is not flexible enough, we need host+baseurl there (for e.g. ppa.launchpad.net with multiple archives)
- a UI in softare-center/software-properties should be added that can read/write the netrc file/dir
Some code available in lp:~mvo/apt/netrc it needs to be cleaned up and tests needs to be added to ensure its working properly.
Should cover changes required to the UI, or specific UI that is required to implement this
Add apache config that
* ubuntu-one may be interessted in doing syncs of those passwords
- at some point, but not right now for lucid