Meeting Chair: Martin Owens (doctormo)
Meeting Minutes by: Michael Terry (mterry)
The following agenda items were proposed for this meeting:
- Introductions (everyone)
Review of last month's Action Items
- Ubuntu Learning group, update (doctormo)
- Technical Plan for Community Centers (leftyfb)
- Website, problems with it (leftyfb)
- Reporting about the Anime convention (mterry)
- Star Trek Event (felicia)
- Open Floor (everyone)
The following team members were present during this meeting:
- Michael Terry (mterry), A Canonical OEM Developer
- Martin Owens (doctormo), Group Leader
- Felicia, User from Cape Cod
- Mike Rushton, leftyfb, system admin, gadget geek
- Sara Abbot, makes cake, is leftyfb's bf
- Doc Kinne (kinnerc), works with astronomical databases, has big plans to take over the world
- Randy Cole, Programming and Systems Administration
- Aaron (guinea-pig)
- Lizzie (|izzie)
- Bill (BillN1VUX)
See progress for Action Items here
- Martin to confirm location of Meeting Location for next month.
- MTerry to investigate the Wainwright Bank's community rooms.
- MTerry to email mailing list about anime convention.
- Martin to order pizza for next meeting.
- Mike to investigate "Boston Linuxfest"
To contact StrataCenter at MIT as a location
- To get together a team of people to see if the event is possible.
To contact potential sponsors -> Items handed of to team.
- we're looking for new meeting location
- this place (tech center) is ok, but a little busy
- doc dislikes varied venues (different places to meet)
- we're looking for a solid long term place
- mterry will look into wainwright room
- they let out community rooms
- 'wainwright bank' that is
- other locations? no...
- party review?
- release party was midling awesome
- would have been nice to have more, we needed more organization time
- try to organize 2 months in advance
- need more advertising
- looking into press releases
- how to get to press? we suck at that
- cake: was awesome
- as were strawberry jackalopes
- We got jaunty cds, yay
- thanks to sean for schwag
- thanks to mterry for sending out notices to lists
- topic: ubuntu learning group
- what is it?
- mike notes we should order pizza for these thigs
- ulg: create learning tools/plans to technical teachers
- ulg: conglomeration of people from community, like forums, user help
- ulg: egalitarian
- ulg: lets anyone in world organize classrooms, virtual or no
- ulg: may conflict with canonical paid-for training
- ulg: cautious of annoying canonical?
- ulg: canonical's stuff is non-commercial (NC)
- ulg: so we can't use it
- ulg: we need to charge small nominal fee
- ulg: why charge?
- ulg: experience is that charging small fee means people are committed
- ulg: makes people think there is value in class
- ulg: can we work around it? (order pizza, charge for that plus)
- ulg: martin says no, cc is pretty clear
- ulg: maybe canonical did it to prevent competition
- ulg: point is, we need a better license or a new thing
- ulg: 'thing' being training materials
- ulg: teaching right now is seat-of-pants, would help to have formal advice
- ulg: questions?
- felicia: martin doing curriculum?
- martin: yar
- martin: more people should be involved
- doc: can download material, but can't use it for us?
- martin; can't use it in schools, colleges, community center where we charge
- martin: can't give back in launchpad, it doesn't accept NC
- doc: sys admin curriculum: are we looking to redo their work?
- martin: sys admin stuff is new, not related. it's safe for commercial
- martin: is showing the wiki page for ulg
- martin: we just need to recreate their stuff from scratch
- martin: licensing discussion on may 9th (it's on the wiki page above)
- doc lives and breathes UTC
- OK, topic change
- technical plans for technical center
- mike: I'm talking about what?
- mike: evergrowing technical plans
- martin: some student wiped his comp with ubuntu accidentally
- center was not happy
- martin: being able to roll out images good
- mike: not getting into imaging, something about installers instead
- martin: can we install dual boot?
- mike: we're not doing windows
- mike: can't do network install of windows
- mike: not doing imaging of windows either
- mike: b/c that means licensing
- mike: not here to help windows
- mike: can install ubuntu over network, which lets us dual boot
- mike: can fix student thing if here
- martin: can we do in-place update of ubuntu?
- mike: we should fresh installs, not updates
- mike: just backup files to server
- martin: we need to be advanced about how we delete these machines
- mike: config is up to center
- mike: they've already got a fab thing
- One minute break
- do dum do
- hmmm hmm
- la la la
- 'fab thing' is some user call fab
- mike: we're not touching windows unless we break it
- randy came in a while ago, btw
- Hi liz, this is mterry being secretary
- lizzie: hiya, yes, i scrolled back.
- martin back, we're back on the clock
- now we're backseat secretary-ing
- martin: too much info better than less
- mike: we could set up ldap
- (back on tech center)
- mike: to get a pixie(?) server, custom packages, ldap, possibly nfs home dir.
- mike: hmm, but we want each login to have own login
- mike: is thinking about these hard problems so we don't have to, mterry is glad
- mike: has backup script
- martin: topic: web site
- mike: great idea, w00t, but don't remove info at all
- mike: martin removed mailing list archives
- martin is surprised we had one
- mike: how does a user get to mailing list?
- mike: no way to sign up from web site
- mike: been removed from wiki too
- martin and doc think he's on crack, it's right there
- mike: too hard for me to find, too hard for users
- martin: meh
- martin: stuff is on wiki, that's good
- martin: mailing list isn't quite for public
- mike: i thought we wanted mailing list to be for everyone
- martin: no, it's internal chatter
- mike: is in the disagreement box
- martin: mailing list is too crappy for users
mike & doc: eh, all mailing lists are like that, it's the expectation of users
- martin: has issues with interface to mailing list
- martin: mailman sucks
- mike: everyone knows it
- martin: techies do, not normals
- mike: list lets people lurk
- martin: that's cool, but prefers 2 mailing lists
- martin: one for chatter, one for announcements
- doc: likes announcements
- mike: also ok with announcements
- mike: wants prominent links to lists
- mike: likes how it was on wiki, is resistant to change
- martin: wiki has links that weren't good for website, so moved this to web site
- mike: liked flow of wiki
- mike: like contact us
- PLAN: put mailing list link on 'contact us'
- mike: if info not on web site, don't remove from wiki
- martin agrees
- mike: likes all info on the 'team contact' page
- martin and mike hug and make up
- mike: this page looks like a list of 'important people' in loco (in scare quotes)
- martin: these people are barely involved
- mike: like put me there
- martin: you are there
- mike: wants a more user friendly list of contacts for loco
- mike: my contact info looks businessy, wants a page for people to see where they can get all contact info for loco
- doc: "small weasels"
- I'm not sure what that meant
- mike: community updates page is cryptic
- mike: who made this page? for the love of god
- mike: this page should have like, when was last meeting, last release
- martin: no problems with changes to page
- martin: i'm weird and british
- martin: accepts help for wording
- mike: i know what normals want
- mike: refuses to touch bzr to change page
- martin: that's how you do it!
- mike: i just want to tell you to do it
- martin: volunteers to push his suggestions? anyone? beuler?
- mike: use a CMS, not bzr
- mike: web site is inadequate, illogical
- martin: then modify it, but you're not willing to do work, or write suggestions down
- martin: it's hard to take your position and do someting with it
- martin suggests lizzie
- |izzie: are you asking me to redesign?
- martin: she already found lots of stuff
- martin is redirecting mike's energy to lizze
- lizzie, yeah, expect a communique from mike
- new topic: anime convention
- so anime is good kind of geek, we have manga
- its' on teh 22nd of may to 24th
- we have manga to distrbiute
- they have flyer table to drop them on
- anyone want to go?
- martin is willing to go with partner
- no takers...
- mterry: out of town
- mike is washing hair
- PLAN: let's put it in calander for next year
- PLAN: let's throw it on mailing list too for this year
- |izzie: what is manga?
- if we can get other people
- manga is a japanese-style comic book
- new topic: star treck
- felicia: natick, 7PM, 7 nights a week
- felicia: date to go: send to mailing list, see if we get complaints
- |izzie: are you scratching 3D?
- felicia: jordon's imax
- |izzie: yes
- martin: proposes monday
- mike says no monday or tuesday
- mike: sylar for the win
- martin makes some reference that only doc gets
- martin: talking about hot fuzz now
- martin: and shaun of the dead
- doc: waiting for sylar to kill someone with finger
- martin: is talking about startrek sg1? what a reference
- martin: new topic: open board
- sara bought stuff from staples
- sara got such a good deal
- sara bought generic raffle tickets
- sara can give out at install fests
- sara: we've wanted to do something with these
- martin: anyone want to do install fest?
- mike: i think we need them
- mike: for ourselves
- mike: has long been on installfest wagon
- mike: good for people off the streets
- mike: not amazing, but pretty good events
- mike: fun for us
- martin: we're not doing them b/c we don't have someone to run them
- mike: who has run in past?
- martin: me, steve and mike
- martin: we're all too busy now
- mike: would love to see a big thing
- mike: bought bostonlinuxfest.org
- martin: would cost a large amount
- mike: hmm, doubt it, we could get sponsors
- martin: takes so long, too much organnization
- martin: loves work of art gallery in brookline, two girls there are awesome at organizing
- martin: they are too busy to help us
- sara: what about gnu peeps?
- martin: talking about the fsf
- mike: scratch that, not blu
- martin: blu like helping themselves, we're about advocacy
- mike: they aren't welcoming
- blu means boston linux user group
- BillN1VUX: BLU is accepting of BSD , BLU means Boston Linux Unix
- randy suggess blue is like a lecture series, followed by social hour
BillN1VUX: so yeah it's not UbuAdvocacy and not FSF pure either
- BillN1VUX: the meeting are, yes
- mike: ohio linux fest is great
- BillN1VUX: with Q*A before too
- martin: fsf can help us organize stuff
- martin: does canonical have help for this?
- mterry doesn't know
- BillN1VUX: BLU installfests are clinical, no demo, no music, no games, no cake
- BillN1VUX: and i am youngest not oldest ... not quite but ...
Deviousdragen> that works for them however
- install fest should be like mardi gras
guinea-pig> whoa, what's all the talk about?
BillN1VUX> Yes, diversity is good
- beads for installing computer
- we're in a meeting, i'm taking notes
- can we get expo center, we want that size for an install fest
- martin: this requires way too much organization
- randy: do it in university gym?
- mike: bigger than that
- mike: like ohio linux fest
- mike: wants to be like them
BillN1VUX> we tried linux world in New expo ctr, it was last in boston
- martin: need like a year to plan
- mike: i've got domain name!
- doc: tell me about ohio
- mike: sponsors, like all the major foss companies
- doc: demonstrations, classes
- mike: if annual, people might hold announcements til expo
- martin: wants it to be 'boston foss fest'
Deviousdragen> if anyone has dos 6 he would love it for next week...if anyone had it culd bring it to him. but if not sorry for the interruption
- mike: likes boston linux fest
- Deviousdragen: ok
Deviousdragen> i like boston linux fest
Deviousdragen> i know and have heard of a linux, i don
mike: linux isn't limiting, we can have other things
Deviousdragen> i dont heard of a foss
guinea-pig> i don't like the word fest. i thought we were moving away from that?
- martin: you're misusing linux word
- mike: i'm ok with that
- doc: foss is more accurate, bad marketing
- mike: don't listen to guinea-pig
Deviousdragen> no intallfest we moved away from because it made it sound like you HAVE TO INSTALL, but it was meerly a suggestion
- mike: mocks 'exploration ubuntu'
- felicia: normal people even know what install fest is
- felicia: i didn't know foss, but knew linux
guinea-pig> i don't believe people think there's anything festive about installing
- mike: wants Sugar people there
Deviousdragen> no i am friends with a lot of normal peiople and it was a long explanation and them cringing at the thought
- guinea-pig: we're doing it wrong then
guinea-pig> actually, i agree, there isn't anything festive about installing
guinea-pig> it's using that's festive
|izzie> there is about installing ubuntu
|izzie> compare to other os's
guinea-pig> compare to other os's ... it's pretty much the same
mike: linux and install fest are known, good marketing terms
guinea-pig> anyway, i'm jumping in the middle of the discussion here
guinea-pig> what are we actually talking about?
- guinea-pig: about running a fest
- guinea-pig just arrived home from work
- guinea-pig: and what's involved
Deviousdragen> we were hoping to draw people in with a new name was the problem...which didnt happpen...
guinea-pig> doctormo: we've done them before... have we forgotten?
- doc: i don't know much, but... let's not shove whole watermellon down throats, let's cut it into smaller pieces
|izzie> ubuntu fest ?
guinea-pig> freedom fest
doc: BarCamp Boston 4 was nice, 300 people,
- BillN1VUX mocks 'exploration ubuntu' too
Deviousdragen> free festival
- doc: The scheduling fell apart after dinner on saturday, think the good weather had something to do with it.
- randy was there too
- doc: was at mit
guinea-pig> also, are we talking about whether or not we are doing one, or have we moved on to more specific details?
- doc: expo center too big, we could do mit though
- guinea-pig: just what's involved, can we even do it with our time/resources
- mike: we don't have resources, but let's get sponsors
- martin: we need organization skills
guinea-pig> we need resources?
- doc: to deal with bay side, we need to show legitimacy with running events
- guinea-pig: need to organize and get space
- doc: could get stata center at mit that though
- doc: start small
Deviousdragen> we cant even get a place to hold meetings or installfests
guinea-pig> we've done small. expo center seems like too big a jump in size
- doc: stop injecting reality sara
- doc: it's not fair
guinea-pig> who is doc?
guinea-pig> oh, i thought it was a thing
BillN1VUX> my lappie is in a dock
BillN1VUX> i work on a pier, however.
- now we're back on meeting space
- because sara made us sad
|izzie> tsk tsk tsk
guinea-pig> err, was there an outcome of the fest discussion?
- mike: we need a space where we can just say, 'we need last thursday, indefinitely'
- guinea-pig: nope!
guinea-pig> doctormo: why not?!
- guinea-pig: We're not a focused group
- martin: agrees with doc that we should start small like mit for fest
- mike: should i try to get sponsors first?
Deviousdragen> perhaps we could span to a differnt college because mit already knows linux.....
guinea-pig> Deviousdragen: seconded
- martin: it's not for the college, jsut a meeting place
- mike: everyone uses term 'linux fest', works so well, people know it
Deviousdragen> i don't spend much time outside at these events but most of the people i talked to out there said they already run it...
guinea-pig> i thought she was referring to fests?
Deviousdragen> i mean to fest at
- yeah, that's what martin meant, bad notes
Deviousdragen> but check out the place mike terry suggested, a bank...with free rooms
guinea-pig> i admit, when 'exploration ubuntu' was first proposed, i thought it was not the best...
- martin tries to stick mike with organizing job
guinea-pig> but it leaves it open to much more than just installing
- mike: what should event be?
- mike: install fest, or a big linux fest like event with shops and sponsors
- Deviousdragen wishes the ibprofine will kick in and the fresh air will make my stumic from making me feel ill
- mike: will look at stata center
- martin: can we book room, cost, etc?
- mike: ok, is interested in spearheading
- mike is impressed with look of stata center
- mike like shiny things
Deviousdragen> mike likes to spend too much money also...
- mike: is it big?
- doc: small expo size
- doc: conference size, convention size
- doc: large common area, 5/6 smaller classrooms
- mike: will contact ohio peeps
- mike: parking sucks
guinea-pig> in ohio?
- doc: "are you insane? also, there is a parking garage"
guinea-pig> i don't care about parking in ohio :P
- guinea-pig: ohio peeps run big linux fest
- martin: need space, media organization
- martin: what is our loco goign to bring to table? cds, table we're manning?
- mike isn't listening
- mike: we'll be there as a vendor and a spearheader
- martin: that's what i'm saying
- martin: might want to have mike focus on spear, others do vending
- doc: this is more than mike job
- doc; this is whole loco
- doc: meetings are just this from now on, if we do this
- mike: no...
- doc: yes!
- doc: need committee, need to assign tasks
- doc: has been through this before
- mike: again, will ask ohio peeps about what is involved
- doc: could contact my old friends that did this before too
guinea-pig> whatever you're planning sounds like it's much bigger than an installfest
guinea-pig> it sounds like a con
- guinea-pig: sort of
guinea-pig> at least on that scale and style, even if not subject matter
- mterry: why are we doing this?
- mike: cause i want to
- mike: install fests not good b/c of marketing
- mike: this could be as big as other linux fests
guinea-pig> because *you* want to, or because the loco wants to?
- mterry: if this takes over loco, we need loco buy in
- mterry: this is bigger than mike pet project
- mike: let's investigate, but not commit anything then come back
- mike: this helps loco because we can be a big part of a thing, good recognition
- mike: these things are announced in papers
doc: boston won't have papers in a year
guinea-pig> as for a timeline... i'd wager something of this scale should be at least 6 months out if not a year
- mike: install fests too small
- guinea-pig: yeah, at least a year
- mike: wants loco to be part of something big
guinea-pig> perhaps contact some people who run cons in the area, for advice, and see if they want to help?
- guinea-pig: yeah, ohio and doc's peeps
- mike: wants to do this, if loco isn't helping, would try to get others, represent loco alone
- martin: organization is biggests challenge
guinea-pig> but also local con organisers, as they might have contacts... and if interested can help in person, too
- felicia: must master small first
- mike: this would bring us stuff we don't have right now, adverts, recognition, partnerships
guinea-pig> what do our previous events count as?
- guinea-pig: small?
guinea-pig: but have we mastered them?
guinea-pig> i wouldn't say we've mastered them, but we could've done a lot worse.
- martin: we need to do more digging
guinea-pig> i think we did well enough to try a little bigger. but not full-sized con
- mike: is real excited
- mike: will look into it, but doesn't have time
- martin: would only have time if he dropped rest of life
- mike: "no one wants to go to wilmington"
guinea-pig> just a thought
- sara; is there shriner's in boston, good size building?
- mike: how's stata compared to shriner's?
- mike: shriner's is good
guinea-pig> is this a loco meeting, or a event-specific meeting? i think they need to be seperated, once we've determined we're going to do an event
- sara: we can sell ubuntu cookies
- mike: no matt demonstrating ubuntu gaming
- martin: not a problem
- doc: you're both saying you don't have time
guinea-pig> nobody has time
guinea-pig> but nobody has to do everything
guinea-pig> unless everyone else does nothing
- doc: but you're thinking you're going to do everything
- doc: but that's now how this works
- doc: we need a buy-in committee, and split load
guinea-pig> divide and conqour
- mike: yar, i have time to contact other people and talk about it
- doc: you have to delegate
- martin: we don't have enough people in group
- mike: we'd get help outside of group
- mike: it's a linux fest
- mike: might even draw interest in oru group
guinea-pig> organise, people, please.
- mike: the event would be related to our core focus: advocacy, etc
- mike: surprised a boston linux fest hasn't been organized yet
- martin: again, you investigate, send a message to list, other boston lists that are relevant, invite people to a crack committee
- mike: spark interest first
- martin: yar
- martin: special non-loco meetings
- martin: see if we have enough peeps
- mike: our loco, fsf, blu
- mike: enough people to do it
- martin: is that all?
- martin: i call the meeting
anthrocite_> barcamp from last weekend venue info was: http://wiki.barcampboston.org/index.php?title=2009_Venue
Open Floor (All)
- There is lots to do.