Revision 1 as of 2010-08-03 21:29:37

Clear message


Items we will be discussing:

  • Review ACTION points from previous meeting
  • Maverick development (jib)
    • Alpha3 subcycle status (ttx)

    • Alpha3-milestoned bugs (ttx)
    • Alpha3 ISO testing (ttx)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)

  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)

  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)

    • Skipped due to absence
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Community Team (kim0)

  • Weekly SRU review (zul)
  • Server papercuts (ttx)
    • Alpha3 retrospective
    • Beta nominations
  • Open Discussion
  • Announce next meeting date and time
    • Tuesday 2010-08-10 at 1800 UTC - #ubuntu-meeting


Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, April 14th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.


[19:02] <mathiaz> #startmeeting
[19:02] <MootBot> Meeting started at 13:02. The chair is mathiaz.
[19:02] <MootBot> Commands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]
[19:02] <mathiaz> Today's amazing agenda:
[19:02] <mathiaz> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting#preview
[19:02] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] # Review ACTION points from previous meeting
[19:02] <MootBot> New Topic:  # Review ACTION points from previous meeting
[19:03] <mathiaz> SpamapS to work with mathiaz on a proposal, and send proposal to -devel on ruby gems in ubuntu
[19:03] <mathiaz> work in progress
[19:03] <jiboumans> any progress to report? it's been moved twice so far
[19:03] <mathiaz> I think we've got something ready - SpamapS ?
[19:04] <SpamapS> Its just about done
=== ghostcube_ is now known as ghostcube
[19:04] <SpamapS> mathiaz provided me with valuable feedback, and I've been working on getting it just right
[19:04] <mathiaz> [ACTION] SpamapS to send ruby gems proposel to ubuntu-devel
[19:04] <MootBot> ACTION received:  SpamapS to send ruby gems proposel to ubuntu-devel
[19:04] <mathiaz>  Daviey & kirkland to review http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/uec.html
[19:04] <kirkland> mathiaz: done!  looks good to me, sommer
[19:04] <SpamapS> BTW, my messages to ubuntu-devel seem to take an average of 7 - 10 days to arrive in my inbox
[19:05] <kirkland> SpamapS: you need to get ubuntu membership ;-)
[19:05] <mathiaz> SpamapS: it may be held for moderation
[19:05] <SpamapS> Would be nice if somebody can moderate them through quicker than that.
[19:05] <hggdh> moderation, I guess
[19:05] <mathiaz>  entire team to fix your papercuts by end-of-the-week
[19:05] <kirkland> mathiaz: did mine ;-)
[19:05] <Daviey> membership doesn't give you whitelisting on that list, it's upload rights that does it.
[19:05] <SpamapS> Still waiting for my collectd MIR guidance email to come through, though cjwatson did tell me he moderated it yesterday.
[19:05] <mathiaz> MootBot: did mine as well
[19:06] <ttx> I'll come back to that later
[19:06] <jiboumans> ttx: did anyone miss their papercut?
[19:06] <mathiaz> I think we'll come back to the papercut later
[19:06] <ttx> some did, yes.
[19:06] <mathiaz> SpamapS and ScottK to reivew Kolab php5 patches
[19:06] <zul> GDAY
[19:06] <ttx> but it will bite them back with a vengeance
[19:06] <ttx> as it'll be back in beta :P
[19:07] <mathiaz> SpamapS: I've seen some progress on this topic - Kolab php5 patches
[19:07] <SpamapS> mathiaz: I believe the uw-imap patches have been uploaded..
[19:07] <SpamapS> mathiaz: the php5-imap patches will come w/ 5.3.3
[19:07] <SpamapS> zul: right?
[19:07]  * mathiaz o^5 SpamapS 
[19:07] <zul> no...after alpha
[19:07]  * mathiaz o^2*5 zul 
[19:08] <ttx> that gets dirty
[19:08] <mathiaz> Anything else related to last week meeting?
[19:08] <SpamapS> and upstream has committed to importing the patches
[19:08] <SpamapS> upstream, meaning php. :)
[19:09] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Maverick development (jib)
[19:09] <MootBot> New Topic:  Maverick development (jib)
[19:09] <jiboumans> We were quite overcomitted for Alpha3, so unfortunately another round of postpones had to be done. Please see http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick/canonical-server-maverick-alpha-3.html for the latest chart.
[19:09] <jiboumans> several items will be done first thing during the beta, before feature freeze, but for the following specs, we dropped most of the work:
[19:09] <jiboumans> cloud-libs, daily-vcs and uec-monitoring as they won't be able to be done before FF
[19:10] <jiboumans> they remain targets of opportunity of course, but we dont expect them to be completed
[19:10] <ttx> cloud-libs is completed
[19:10] <ttx> I did it last week
[19:10] <jiboumans> eh, cloud-config
[19:10] <ttx> ... ?
[19:10]  * jiboumans is probably confused today
[19:10]  * jiboumans goes and looks
[19:10] <jiboumans> cloud-utils, thank you very much
[19:11] <ttx> ack
[19:11] <jiboumans> let's all pretend i said that very eloquently in one go :)
[19:11]  * ttx looks the other way
[19:11] <jiboumans> we've also added blueprints to track ongoing work like ISO testing and triaging, just to provide more insight, so those will be in the tracker as well starting the beta cycle
[19:12] <zul> umm..blueprint for triaging?
[19:12] <hggdh> and testing?
[19:12] <jiboumans> most blueprints should be scoped for the beta workloads now, so please have a look and make sure there are no anomalies
[19:12] <cjwatson> SpamapS: I think there was some network problem - should be through now
[19:12] <jiboumans> zul, hggdh: as per the outcome of our prague sprint, yes
[19:12] <ttx> one work items for each daily triage
[19:12] <ttx> we'll see if it helps
[19:13] <jiboumans> i think that's all regarding alpha3 scope & beta plans
[19:13] <jiboumans> ttx, floor's all yours
[19:13] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] #
[19:13] <mathiaz> Alpha3 subcycle status (ttx)
[19:13] <MootBot> New Topic:  #
[19:13] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Alpha3 subcycle status (ttx)
[19:13] <MootBot> New Topic:  Alpha3 subcycle status (ttx)
[19:13] <ttx> well, I think that one got covered quite well by Jos
[19:13] <ttx> Alpha3-milestoned bugs
[19:13] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Alpha3-milestoned bugs (ttx)
[19:13] <MootBot> New Topic:  Alpha3-milestoned bugs (ttx)
[19:14] <ttx> the remaining bugs were retargeted to beta, since I managed to run an instance on topology1 with euca2.0 out of the box
[19:14] <ttx> but other topologies and loadtesrting are still very broken
[19:14] <SpamapS> cjwatson: thanks it just arrived. :-D
[19:14] <ttx> Alpha3 ISO testing:
[19:14] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Alpha3 ISO testing (ttx)
[19:14] <MootBot> New Topic:  Alpha3 ISO testing (ttx)
[19:15] <ttx> the current candidate was smoketested enough to have good confidenbce it behaves. We'll have a eucalyptus commit later today, and a respin early tomorrow
[19:15] <ttx> so you should concentrate your ISO testing efforts on tomorrow's
[19:15] <ttx> on the cloud images side...
[19:16] <ttx> smoser: you smoketested them and caught a bug that warrants a respin there as well
[19:16] <ttx> ?
[19:16] <smoser> yes.
[19:16] <smoser> i've caught some other bugs in the ec2 images also.
[19:17] <ttx> do you think you can respin and launch a test before your eod today ?
[19:17] <smoser> none that seem likely to be fixed by tomorrow, but dont stop alpha.
[19:17] <smoser> i'm starting re-spin.
[19:17] <ttx> ok -- then just remember your area of ISo testing, it's marked down on the corresponding work item
[19:17] <ttx> I'll help on the UEC side probably
[19:18] <Daviey> \o/
[19:18] <ttx> since ccheney is away
[19:18] <hggdh> yes!
[19:18] <hggdh> more blood on the arena
[19:18] <Daviey> ttx: That is *greatly* appreciated
[19:18] <hggdh> although there will not be much to test
[19:18] <ttx> I can take on a triceratops with my bare hands and the power of my look
[19:18] <jiboumans> ttx++ # organizer of things
[19:19] <jiboumans> ttx: you may have heard science proved triceratops didn't actually exist
[19:19] <ttx> when I look at bugs, they fly away :)
[19:19]  * Daviey has witnessed this
[19:19] <ttx> jiboumans: dammit
[19:19]  * hggdh wishes ttx would look at UEC
[19:19] <mathiaz> I guess that we can move given the last comments...
[19:20] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] #
[19:20] <MootBot> New Topic:  #
[19:20] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)
[19:20] <MootBot> New Topic:  Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)
[19:20] <SpamapS> o/ # ?
[19:20] <ttx> # #
[19:20] <hggdh> nothing new here, except that Eucalyptus only works in all-in-one
[19:20] <mathiaz> SpamapS: it's when I cut and paste from firefox
[19:20] <SpamapS> Oh, I thought the new topic was something about hashing. ;)
[19:21] <SpamapS> I asked before, but just to confirm, we should expect ISO's in the next couple of days right?
[19:21] <mathiaz> hggdh: how is the QA team doing?
[19:21] <hggdh> good. Almost up-to-date on all tasks, no real news
[19:21] <mathiaz> ok - any questions to the QA team?
[19:21] <Daviey> SpamapS: When you wake up tomorrow, there should hopefully be a fresh ISO to test :)
[19:22] <mathiaz> let's move on
[19:22] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)
[19:22] <MootBot> New Topic:  Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)
[19:22] <jjohansen> so we have switch to a 2.6.35 pv-ops kernel
[19:22]  * ttx wishes that the old bug list was still present on the agenda
[19:22]  * ttx recovers
[19:22] <jiboumans> jjohansen++ # awesome
[19:23] <jjohansen> ah yeah, I was just looking for the load bug #
[19:23] <SpamapS> jjohansen: any news on the high load for idle instances on ec2?
[19:23] <SpamapS> hah me too
[19:23] <ttx> jjohansen: bug 574910 is getting out of control
[19:23] <ubottu> Launchpad bug 574910 in linux-ec2 (Ubuntu) "High load averages on Lucid while idling" [Undecided,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/574910
[19:23] <ttx> jjohansen: great fix on bug 599450 !
[19:23] <ubottu> Launchpad bug 599450 in linux (Ubuntu Maverick) "[apparmor] getattr handled incorrectly in 2.6.35-6.7" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/599450
[19:23] <jjohansen> its definitely a really bug and I have started "bisecting" it
[19:24] <mathiaz> SpamapS: is this bug 611272?
[19:24] <ubottu> Launchpad bug 611272 in tomcat6 (Ubuntu) "clean tomcat6 install causes load to go up" [Low,Incomplete] https://launchpad.net/bugs/611272
[19:24] <SpamapS> no 574910
[19:24] <mathiaz> SpamapS: rather - is bug 611272 a duplicate of 574910?
[19:24] <ttx> mathiaz: that one might be a dupe
[19:24] <jjohansen> ttx: agreed that the bug is out of control
[19:25] <SpamapS> mathiaz: yeah thats entirely possible, seems like it for sure.
[19:25] <SpamapS> actually..
[19:25] <SpamapS> I see a high load on my idle VMware instance too now that I think about it
[19:25] <jjohansen> hopefully we will have a resolution to it soon, however its not a clean bisect situation
[19:25] <smoser> SpamapS, don't get started. the bug is ec2 bug. if you have others, please open other bugs.
[19:26] <smoser> its metabug with loads of irrelavent info already.
[19:26] <jjohansen> hehe, right even if its the same bug :)
[19:26] <SpamapS> smoser: agreed. I just wonder if the same issue is causing the problem.
[19:26] <smoser> i do think 611272 is probably a duplicate, although i've never seen load go up to 1
[19:26] <SpamapS>  11:26:53 up  1:46,  1 user,  load average: 1.09, 1.15, 1.15
[19:27] <smoser> it is interesting to me that we've no evidence of this mystic load on "real hardware"
[19:27] <SpamapS> Thing has been sitting there doing nothing.. top shows nothing.
[19:27] <SpamapS> occasionally gmond or vmtoolsd pops up as doing something
[19:27] <mathiaz> ok - I think we should move on
[19:27] <mathiaz> and keep debugging later on
[19:28] <mathiaz> jjohansen: anything else from the kernel team?
[19:28] <ttx> I think jjohansen and smoser welcome all help, but not more confusion on that bug :)
[19:28] <smoser> what color is your laptop, SpamapS ?
[19:28] <jjohansen> I am looking at the pv-on-hvm drivers, and smoser found a few bugs with pv-ops
[19:29] <SpamapS> smoser: Silver unless it gets really hot, then it turns red ;)
[19:29] <smoser> that was probably off topic. but an example of the off topic content in the bug.
[19:29] <SpamapS> lol
[19:29] <mathiaz> anything else *for* the kernel team?
[19:29] <SpamapS> kernel team: keep on rockin in the free world. :)
[19:29] <jjohansen> I think I am done
[19:30] <mathiaz> jjohansen: great - thanks !
[19:30] <mathiaz> let's move on
[19:30] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)
[19:30] <MootBot> New Topic:  Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)
[19:30] <mathiaz> hm - noone around
[19:30] <mathiaz> so move on
[19:30] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] #
[19:30] <MootBot> New Topic:  #
[19:30] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the Community Team (kim0)
[19:30] <MootBot> New Topic:  Weekly Updates & Questions for the Community Team (kim0)
[19:30] <jiboumans> no kim0 it seems
[19:30] <jiboumans> the topic got added recently
[19:31] <ttx> it's quite late in Egypt
[19:31] <mathiaz> ok - I've pinged kim0 - he may stop by later
[19:31] <mathiaz> let's move on
[19:31] <mathiaz> ah...
[19:31] <mathiaz> kim0: o/
[19:31] <jiboumans> speak of the devil
[19:31] <ttx> kim0 never sleeps
[19:31] <kim0> hehe
[19:32] <kim0> so whats up
[19:32] <mathiaz> kim0: anything to report from the community team to the server team?
[19:32] <kim0> hmm .. well the updates are
[19:32] <kim0> We're basically fighting with IS to release the maps app for the 10.04.1 release
[19:32] <kim0> on time
[19:32] <kim0> hopefully this week
[19:32] <Daviey> Hi.. i've just had a power failure - meaning i'm connecting throw 3g - which is currently very slow...
[19:33] <ttx> we'll.. speak... slowly
[19:33] <SpamapS> kim0: you could always just pool together your EC2 allowance for the month and run it on EC2. ;)
[19:33] <Daviey> through*
[19:33] <kim0> SpamapS: I don't really know how this allowance thing works
[19:33] <Daviey> Can we discuss atop until my power returns please? :)
[19:33] <kim0> but jono didn't seem too excited
[19:33] <kim0> so I'm not doing that
[19:33] <kim0> If anyone is interested in the cloud portal specs
[19:34] <kim0> I've updated the docs at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CloudPortalSpecs
[19:34] <mathiaz> kim0: cool - thanks
[19:34] <kim0> check it out and let us know opinions
[19:34] <kim0> that's basically all from my side
[19:34] <mathiaz> anything to ask to the community team?
[19:34] <jiboumans> kim0: let us know if and when the app is up and we'll blog/mail/tweet about it
[19:35] <kim0> jiboumans: sure thingie
[19:35] <jiboumans> thanks
[19:35] <kim0> if it's not up by this thursday
[19:35] <kim0> I'll go the ec2 route
[19:35] <kim0> coz that'd be the final week
[19:35] <SpamapS> yes, we need to unleash a blog-pocalypse when its released
[19:35] <kim0> Yes hehe
[19:35] <mathiaz> ok - anything else to add?
[19:35] <kim0> nope that's all
[19:36] <mathiaz> let's move on
[19:36] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Weekly SRU review (zul)
[19:36] <MootBot> New Topic:  Weekly SRU review (zul)
[19:36] <zul> im still catching up from beeing back on holiday
[19:36] <mathiaz> zul: I'm not sure what we're supposed to do here
[19:36] <mathiaz> as the nominations should be done by email now
[19:37] <zul> neither am i...since its done by email now
[19:37] <zul> if it were up to me i would remove it from the agenda
[19:37] <mathiaz> http://people.canonical.com/~chucks/SRUTracker/sru-tracker-bugs.html
[19:37] <MootBot> LINK received:  http://people.canonical.com/~chucks/SRUTracker/sru-tracker-bugs.html
[19:37] <mathiaz> is working again
[19:37] <SpamapS> I have one that is sort of in question..
[19:37] <mathiaz> who's looking after that? and making sure things are moved along?
[19:37] <SpamapS> bug #611695
[19:38] <ubottu> Launchpad bug 611695 in mysql-5.1 (Ubuntu) "mysqlhotcopy produces error about log tables" [Low,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/611695
[19:38] <zul> mathiaz: i try to review it every friday
[19:38] <ttx> "319" days assigned : should probably be unassigned
[19:38] <zul> agreed
[19:39] <ttx> there is also a "362" :)
[19:39] <ttx> if we remove the cruft, it will be reviewable during the meeting
[19:39] <zul> anything above a 300 should be removed
[19:39] <zul> ill do it this friday
[19:39] <mathiaz> or worked on ASAP :D
[19:39] <ttx> i'd argue that stuff assigned for > 150 days should be removed as well
[19:39] <SpamapS> removed meaning not SRU'd?
[19:40] <mathiaz> I'd argue stuff assigned for > 30 days
[19:40] <ttx> SpamapS: no
[19:40] <mathiaz> at some point down the line
[19:40] <Daviey> Maybe it's a really complex and requires a year of development! :)
[19:40] <ttx> SpamapS: removced as in no longer assigned to someone that does not make it happen
[19:40] <SpamapS> got it
[19:40] <mathiaz> there is some backlog then
[19:40] <mathiaz> there is some backlog *now*
[19:40] <ttx> We should strive for no red in there
[19:41] <mathiaz> but once you've cleared things up there shouldn't be any red
[19:41] <ttx> and only have the stuff we intend to do short-term
[19:41] <ttx> mathiaz: I hope so
[19:41] <mathiaz> any question wrt to the SRU process?
[19:41] <mathiaz> or SRU?
[19:42] <SpamapS> the bug I mentioned earlier..
[19:42] <ttx> maybe action people to clean up their SRU abandon items ?
[19:42] <mathiaz> ttx: we should probably prod them
[19:42] <mathiaz> ttx: as most of them are not in the meeting
[19:42] <ttx> ok
[19:42] <mathiaz> [ACTION] zul to clean up the SRU assigne list by prodding people on status
[19:42] <MootBot> ACTION received:  zul to clean up the SRU assigne list by prodding people on status
[19:42]  * zul gets out the cattle prod
[19:42] <mathiaz> let's move on
[19:42] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Server papercuts (ttx)
[19:42] <MootBot> New Topic:  Server papercuts (ttx)
[19:43] <ttx> yay
[19:43] <ttx> Final status for alpha3 :https://launchpad.net/server-papercuts/+milestone/maverick-alpha-3
[19:43] <ttx> some fixes are considered committed, that is the work on them is done, but the fix didn't come back from debian yet
[19:44] <ttx> i expect the assignees to followup on those
[19:44] <ttx> Beta cycle is here : https://launchpad.net/server-papercuts/+milestone/maverick-beta
[19:44] <ttx> There are the two that Dave hadn't had time to finalize, plus 10 others
[19:44] <ttx> pick yours  :)
[19:45] <ttx> cycle starts 2010-08-06
[19:45] <ttx> ends 2010-08-25
[19:45] <mathiaz> anything else to add on the papercut project?
[19:46] <ttx> nothing from me
[19:46] <mathiaz> let's move on then
[19:46] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Open Discussion
[19:46] <MootBot> New Topic:  Open Discussion
[19:47] <ttx> ...
[19:47] <SpamapS> o/
[19:47] <mathiaz> I ran into the following project last week: http://www.eurekastreams.org/
[19:47] <ttx> kirkland: how is Montreal's summer ?
[19:48] <kirkland> ttx: way cooler than Austin, temperature wise :-)
[19:48] <ttx> mathiaz: I had trouble to see what it does more than a regular twitter-like
[19:48] <mathiaz> seems like a great way to get activity/status report within the team
[19:48] <kirkland> i'm hoping to see the aurorae borealis tonight, if we're far enough north....
[19:48] <jiboumans> "The coldest winter I've ever spent was a summer in Montreal" -- Dustin Twain
[19:48] <mathiaz> ttx: what I found interesting is the concept of plugin
[19:48] <SpamapS> mathiaz: I took a look at it, very interesting tool.. I wonder if it would be useful for UDS sessions
[19:48] <kirkland> http://news.discovery.com/space/incoming-the-sun-unleashes-cme-at-earth.html
[19:48] <MootBot> LINK received:  http://news.discovery.com/space/incoming-the-sun-unleashes-cme-at-earth.html
[19:48] <kirkland> jiboumans: something like that :-)
[19:48] <mathiaz> ttx: so we could have LP plugins
[19:48] <ttx> mathiaz: so twitter + dashboards ?
[19:49] <mathiaz> ttx: whenever you upload something in LP in gets into your stream
[19:49] <jiboumans> mathiaz: i checked out the demo. it seems it really shines with many users
[19:49] <mathiaz> ttx: yes
[19:49] <SpamapS> it seems to have some of the coolness of webnumbr too
[19:49] <ttx> mathiaz: what I've been missing recently is some presence tool, would that address that ?
[19:49] <zul> kirkland: doubt it you will see it in montreal
[19:49] <kirkland> zul: darn :-(
[19:50] <kirkland> zul: will you see it in Ottawa?
[19:50] <ttx> being able to tell people are "at work". Crosscheking with calendars doesn't really help me
[19:50] <stas_> !time
[19:50] <ubottu> Information about using and setting your computer's clock on Ubuntu can be found at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime - See https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/NTP.html for information on usage of the Network Time Protocol (NTP)
[19:50] <mathiaz> ttx: right
[19:50] <ttx> but I guess we could solve that with a specific status message
[19:50] <zul> but hggdh loves notpdate
[19:50] <mathiaz> ttx: IMO if I'm not I work I'm not IRC
[19:51] <mathiaz> ttx: it's the easiest way to see whether I'm online
[19:51] <mathiaz> however people have different opinion on this
[19:51] <ttx> mathiaz: you're easy ;)
[19:51] <ttx> predictability is also good. Since you travel, your work hours change
[19:52] <jiboumans> i second that btw
[19:52] <jiboumans> but whatever we use, it has to low impact
[19:52] <mathiaz> ttx: so you'd like to have both real-time presence and expected presence
[19:52] <SpamapS> ttx: I'd love to have a presence tool as well
[19:52] <SpamapS> I try ot remember to set /away on irc but I often forget
[19:52] <ttx> for expected presence the calendar is ok
[19:52] <Daviey>  /j #server  ; sleep 10h ; /part #server
[19:53] <ttx> mathiaz: for example, I don't think you disconnect from IRC when you go out to eat
[19:53] <mathiaz> ttx: that's true
[19:53] <Daviey>  XMPP!
[19:53]  * SpamapS suggests GPS ankle bracelets for all Ubuntu members
[19:53] <jiboumans> .... someone will say google wave soon
[19:53] <mathiaz> ttx: however I may take more than 1 hour to answer a ping on IRC
[19:53] <Daviey>  Jabber could be ideal for this.
[19:53] <ttx> SpamapS: I like that. With electrical shocks when your velocity goes down
[19:53] <stas_> hi guys, loco council is doing reapproval meeting today?
[19:53] <SpamapS> just setup a collage of webcams from all our home offices
[19:54] <Daviey> stas_: perhaps.. this this currently the server meeting
[19:54] <nuvolari> o/ tumbleweed :D
[19:54] <ttx> I think webcam/mumble is not appropriate to do presence
[19:54] <stas_> Daviey: how long this is gonna take?
[19:54]  * mathiaz agrees
[19:54] <mathiaz> stas_: a couple more minutes
[19:54] <zul> considering if you are sitting in your briefs
[19:55] <stas_> ah, ok, srry, carry on :)
[19:55] <mathiaz> stas_: until the begining of next hour as outlined on the fridge calendar
[19:55]  * SpamapS watches the train slowly derail
[19:55] <ttx> anyway, I'm not opposed to trying out eurekastreams
[19:55] <mathiaz> it was just food for though
[19:55] <ttx> it just might be slightly overkill :)
[19:56] <mathiaz> ttx: agreed - we should try it out to get a feeling about it ;)
[19:56] <SpamapS> user: ping! seems to work for active communication
[19:56] <mathiaz> anything else to add before we wrap up?
[19:56] <ttx> nope
[19:57] <mathiaz> SpamapS: http://err.no/personal/blog/tech/2006-10-10-12-05_contentless_pings.html
[19:57] <mathiaz> let's wrap up then
[19:57] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Announce next meeting date and time
[19:57] <MootBot> New Topic:  Announce next meeting date and time
[19:57] <mathiaz> next week, same place, same time?
[19:57] <mathiaz> Tuesday 2010-08-10 at 1800 UTC - #ubuntu-meeting
[19:57] <mathiaz> ^^ ?
[19:58] <kirkland> +1
[19:58] <mathiaz> all right - so next week, same place, same time
[19:58] <mathiaz> #endmeeting