20110405

Agenda

  • Review ACTION points from previous meeting
    • Daviey to talk with wider docs team regarding translations (deferred, carry over)
    • Daviey to post another followup one euca-dhcp bug. (carry over)
    • SpamapS to put his version of ubuntuserver-minutes in directions for writing minutes
    • ALL: Please review the current documentation (for Natty release)
    • Daviey to talk with docs team about new submissions (New documentation for cluster stack)
  • Natty Development
  • Ubuntu Server Team Events
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)

  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb)

  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)

  • Weekly Updates & Questions from the Ubuntu Community

  • Open Discussion
  • Announce next meeting date and time
    • Tuesday, April 12th 2011 16:00 UTC

Minutes

Meeting Actions

  • Daviey to submit UDS-O topic for translations and docs
  • jamespage to helpout with verification of euca-dhcp bug
  • jamespage to discover process/location for fixing ubuntu server documentation

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

  • Daviey to talk with wider docs team regarding translations (deferred, carry over)
  • Daviey to talk with docs team about new submissions (New documentation for cluster stack)
    • Daviey has discussed this with the documentation team; most Ubuntu documentation is facing the same issue that the server documentation set is (i.e. lack of resource).
    • [ACTION] Daviey actioned to raise a UDS-O topic to discuss server team documentation and the how this is taken forwards.
  • Daviey to post another followup one euca-dhcp bug. (carry over)
    • Progress on this issue; bug applied but needs verification.
    • [ACTION] jamespage to help out with verification that this issue is resolved.
  • SpamapS to put his version of ubuntuserver-minutes in directions for writing minutes
    • DONE
  • ALL: Please review the current documentation (for Natty release)
    • Some review; however team are unclear on how to fix documentation for the release.
    • [ACTION] jamespage to find out and report back/email.

Natty Development

Focus is now on bug fixing rather than development.

Daviey asked that any blockers, issues or concerns be raised as soon as possible in the run up to beta-2

Smoser raised two bugs that required MIR approval:

Ubuntu Server Team Events

  • SpamapS: Apr. 13,14 I will be at the MySQL Users' Conference in Santa Clara, CA
  • jamespage: I'll be attending puppet camp europe on the 28/29 April in Amsterdam
  • zul: Apr 25 - 29 I will be at the Openstack summit, Santa Clara, CA

Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)

  • Current investigating:
    • Launchpad bug 746751 in linux (Ubuntu) "kernel: [Firmware Bug]: the BIOS has corrupted hw-PMU resources (MSR 38d is 30)" [Critical,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/746751

  • Kernel SRU tests are throwing up security failures, compiler stracktraces etc...

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb)

  • Launchpad bug 634487 in linux (Ubuntu Natty) "t1.micro instance hangs when installing java" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/634487

    • Latest natty works fine on smb test rig; however not in ec2.
    • The bug seems to be some interaction between xen hypervisor and the kernel. And it looks like newer Xen works.
    • Just need Amazon to upgrade.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)

Not present

Weekly Updates & Questions from the Ubuntu Community

None

Open Discussion

None

Announce next meeting date and time

  • Tuesday, April 12th 2011 16:00 UTC

Log

Started logging meeting in #ubuntu-meeting
[11:02:06] <jamespage> [TOPIC] Review ACTION points from previous meeting
[11:02:18] <jamespage> Daviey to talk with wider docs team regarding translations (deferred, carry over)
[11:02:26] <Daviey> Okay, i briefly spoke with dpm
[11:02:26] <jamespage> Any progress on this one Daviey?
[11:02:48] <smoser> o/
[11:02:49] <Daviey> It seems something to table for the next cycle.
[11:02:57] <Daviey> (until the next cycle)
[11:03:28] <jamespage> OK; so is that going to need a UDS topic?
[11:03:33] <SpamapS> Daviey: was there any mention of the greater problem of nobody actually working on the server guide this cycle? :-/
[11:03:38] <Daviey> jamespage, yes
[11:03:53] <Daviey> SpamapS, what you said + s/server guide/docs/
[11:04:01] <Daviey> The whole platform docs are lacking this cycle.
[11:04:05] <SpamapS> Daviey: *ouch*
[11:04:35] <Daviey> As in, there currently isn't really any activity this cycle.
[11:06:10] <jamespage> [ACTION] Daviey to submit UDS-O topic for translations and docs
[11:06:13] <Daviey> Ta
[11:06:24] <jamespage> Next: Daviey to post another followup one euca-dhcp bug. (carry over)
[11:07:57] <jamespage> Daviey?
[11:09:10] <jamespage> Hmmm; might need to come back to that one
[11:09:25] <jamespage> SpamapS : to put his version of ubuntuserver-minutes in directions for writing minutes
[11:09:45] <SpamapS> Done 2 weeks ago, its in the comments of the meeting page.
[11:10:06] <jamespage> Right-oh looks like the actions might not quite be right - I'll take it off.
[11:10:16] <SpamapS> no I skipped last week ;)
[11:10:18] <SpamapS> it was a carry over
[11:11:24] <Daviey> jamespage, It is making it progress..
[11:11:45] <Daviey> It looks fixed, but requires verification
[11:11:50] <Daviey> ..
[11:12:40] <jamespage> OK - do you need any action from this team? I'm happy to have a go at testing it
[11:13:20] <Daviey> jamespage, testing is MUCHLY appreciated
[11:13:30] <Daviey> There is a known upgrade issue, which is currently being worked on
[11:13:44] <Daviey> but fresh install testing would be really beneficial
[11:13:50] <jamespage> [ACTION] jamespage to helpout with verification of euca-dhcp bug
[11:14:16] <Daviey> thanks!
[11:14:18] <jamespage> Next: ALL: Please review the current documentation (for Natty release)
[11:14:36] <Daviey> Euca is currently looking adequate.
[11:15:02] <jamespage> Anyone else managed to find some time to review docs?
[11:16:08] <jamespage> Well I know that I've not managed to; suggest that we carry that action
[11:16:21] <hallyn> jamespage: once again, for the minutes, a link?
[11:16:26] <SpamapS> jamespage: I did but I can't figure out how to *fix* problems.
[11:16:45] <SpamapS> the server guide is no longer in the ubuntu-docs package.. not sure where exactly it lives
[11:17:13] * SpamapS must end this line of speaking because compiz has just eaten itself... 
[11:17:23] <jamespage> hallyn: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting (follow link at bottom of page)
[11:17:42] <jamespage> So can anyone enlighten us on how to fix documentation issues?
[11:17:50] <zul> it got removed into a pdf didnt it/
[11:18:03] <SpamapS> well it has a bzr tree somewhere
[11:18:10] <SpamapS> zul: pdf + html
[11:18:17] <SpamapS> its all in docbook.. somewhere. :-P
[11:19:05] <zul> SpamapS: *cough* https://code.launchpad.net/~asommer/ubuntu-docs/serverguide
[11:19:21] <Daviey> erm
[11:19:29] <Daviey> that isn't the main location... is it?!
[11:19:38] <Daviey> https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-doc/ubuntu-docs/natty
[11:19:58] <zul> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-docs maybe?
[11:20:18] <zul> i dunno maybe we need to fire off an email to asommer then
[11:21:04] <SpamapS> Daviey: where did you find that?
[11:21:43] <jamespage> Well it seems like there is some confusion; I'll pickup and action to try and find out...
[11:22:06] <jamespage> [ACTION] jamespage to discover process/location for fixing ubuntu server documentation
[11:22:23] * jamespage thinks I might be a glutton for punishment but hey-ho
[11:22:47] <jamespage> Daviey to talk with docs team about new submissions (New documentation for cluster stack)
[11:23:00] <jamespage> seems to all be about documentation this week Daviey
[11:23:13] <Daviey> That made no progress due to lack of activity
[11:23:15] <SpamapS> That does look like the bit I was looking for tho, so thanks. :)
[11:23:23] <Daviey> This shares the same action as UDS-O session
[11:23:39] <jamespage> OK; so thats last weeks actions...
[11:23:47] <Daviey> \o/
[11:23:47] <jamespage> [TOPIC] Natty Development
[11:24:35] <robbiew> should be no "development"...just bug fixing ;)
[11:24:53] <zul> dang it
[11:25:38] <Daviey> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.tag=server-nrs
[11:26:43] <Daviey> Essentially, we are looking pretty good.
[11:26:52] <smoser> i have a probably bad question to ask . bug 726572 and bug 727200
[11:26:54] <hallyn> zul: isn't bug 742770 fixed as of your upload yesterday?
[11:26:54] <ubottu> Launchpad bug 726572 in cloud-initramfs-tools (Ubuntu) "[MIR] cloud-initramfs-tools" [Undecided,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/726572
[11:26:56] <ubottu> Launchpad bug 727200 in lxc (Ubuntu Natty) "[MIR] lxcguest in main" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/727200
[11:26:57] <ubottu> Launchpad bug 742770 in lxc (Ubuntu) "Erorr in syntax in ubuntu templates" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/742770
[11:26:59] <smoser> are both MIR
[11:27:17] <Daviey> http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/canonical-server-ubuntu-11.04-beta-2.html
[11:27:36] <zul> hallyn: it should
[11:27:49] <Daviey> jamespage, Looks like beta2 is blocked on you :D
[11:28:07] <jamespage> so that TODO is now DONE as well - have just not updated the spec.
[11:28:11] <SpamapS> Daviey: there's a bug in autofs that should be on that list, but I expect to fix that today.
[11:28:30] <Daviey> SpamapS, The error in the default config?
[11:28:45] <zul> hallyn: ill double check
[11:28:53] <SpamapS> Daviey: the upstart 'start on' breaks NFS mounts.
[11:29:06] <Daviey> ahh
[11:29:09] <Daviey> SpamapS, groovy
[11:29:15] <SpamapS> Daviey: and we also stopped reading /etc/default/autofs .. which is a regresssion from 10.10 and prior.
[11:29:17] <Daviey> Are there any other concerns where people are blocked?
[11:29:29] <SpamapS> Daviey: I have an upload going in today just doing extensive testing.
[11:29:32] <Daviey> SpamapS, that is the one i was thinking of!
[11:30:21] <SpamapS> How come our ISO tests don't have upgrades listed?
[11:30:24] <SpamapS> or do they?
[11:31:08] <jamespage> SpamapS: They are listed separated fro the main install tests.
[11:31:28] <jamespage> Daviey (or anyone else): anything else to add for Natty development/bug fixing...
[11:31:29] <jamespage> ?
[11:31:33] <Daviey> SpamapS, It's not very discoverable, but mvo runs automated upgrade testing aswell
[11:32:14] <Daviey> jamespage, Just that if anyone is blocked, raise it ASAP... and concerned we have missed somthing, now would be a "good time" to let it be known
[11:32:29] <smoser> i've askwait..
[11:32:30] <SpamapS> ACK
[11:32:35] <smoser> development/bug fixing
[11:32:39] <smoser> those two MIR bugs
[11:32:43] <smoser> is it to late for that ?
[11:33:08] <Daviey> smoser, Shouldn't be... but the MIR team need to ACK and then the release team agree :)
[11:33:10] <zul> SpamapS: i thought you already uploaded the fix?
[11:33:21] <Daviey> ridddddddde. the split
[11:34:40] <jamespage> OK; next topic is...
[11:34:51] <jamespage> [TOPIC] Ubuntu Server Team Events
[11:35:10] <SpamapS> Apr. 13,14 I will be at the MySQL Users' Conference in Santa Clara, CA
[11:35:31] <SpamapS> Speaking on the 13th about how Natty is the best platform for trying out Drizzle. :)
[11:35:50] <jamespage> Good luch SpamapS - hope if goes well :-)
[11:35:59] <jamespage> I'll be attending puppet camp europe on the 28/29 April in Amsterdam
[11:36:02] <SpamapS> Yeah I should probably start on my slides. :)
[11:36:17] <jamespage> zul: are you attending the openstack summit?
[11:36:33] <SpamapS> I wonder if I should pop up and crash the openstack summit for 1 day. :)
[11:37:23] <smoser> jamespage, at previous puppet camp, we ran an awstrial for them
[11:37:25] <zul> Apr 25 - 29 I will be at the Openstack summit i santa clara, CA
[11:37:44] <smoser> it went over pretty well, and we're more mature in some respects.. we may want to offer that to them again.
[11:38:10] <SpamapS> Definitely get in contact with puppetlabs now so we can be more prepared.
[11:38:23] <jamespage> smoser: OK suggest we pick that up separately - I'll ping you directly and we can take it from there
[11:38:26] <SpamapS> Would be extremely cool if it were an awstrial backed by UEC. :)
[11:38:48] <SpamapS> then again, that might require 4 or 5 NC's ;)
[11:38:57] <jamespage> [TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)
[11:39:06] <jamespage> hggdh: over to you
[11:39:10] <hggdh> k
[11:39:24] <hggdh> still trying to find the culprit on bug 746751
[11:39:26] <ubottu> Launchpad bug 746751 in linux (Ubuntu) "kernel: [Firmware Bug]: the BIOS has corrupted hw-PMU resources (MSR 38d is 30)" [Critical,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/746751
[11:39:32] <smoser> for what its worth, awstrial could be backed by UEC. but its not useful.
[11:39:46] <hggdh> pretty much all my time has been dedicated to this and kernel sru testing this week
[11:40:25] <hggdh> and it is not helping much that I am getting extremely weird results on local KVM testing
[11:40:40] <hggdh> ..
[11:41:22] <hallyn> hggdh: weird?
[11:41:43] <hallyn> hggdh: the bug report suggests that kvm by hand is fine?
[11:42:11] <hggdh> hallyn: on the kernel SRU tests -- I get security failures, compiler stracktraces, the whole 9 yards
[11:42:13] <jjohansen> hggdh: ?
[11:42:25] <jjohansen> oh right
[11:42:27] <hallyn> hggdh: jinkeys! I've not seen any of that
[11:42:39] <hggdh> hallyn: I am currently running a lucid image copied over, and no issues so far
[11:42:57] <hggdh> the same lucid image barfs in many different and instructive ways on my laptop
[11:43:18] <jjohansen> hggdh: faulty hardware?
[11:43:38] <hallyn> well jdstrand had some bad kvm results too, but we never were able to figure it out
[11:43:42] <hggdh> jjohansen: it might -- I am also seeing now what seems to be wireless errors
[11:43:54] <hallyn> hggdh: is htere an open bug for that?
[11:44:05] <hallyn> (so we can take this out of the meeting :)
[11:44:33] <jamespage> OK so we do need to push on;
[11:44:47] <jamespage> [TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb)
[11:44:49] <hggdh> hallyn: we can talk after the meeting
[11:44:54] <smb> Hi
[11:44:57] <hallyn> hggdh: ok
[11:45:12] <smb> So some time was spend on bug 634487
[11:45:13] * jdstrand needs to bisect that still...
[11:45:15] <ubottu> Launchpad bug 634487 in linux (Ubuntu Natty) "t1.micro instance hangs when installing java" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/634487
[11:45:42] <smb> Though unfortunately or fortunately all is good with latest natty on my centos 5.5 + xen 3.4.3
[11:46:00] <smb> but not on ec2 which is centos 5.0 + xen 3.1.something.
[11:46:29] <Daviey> smb, is 634487 likely to be resolved this cycle?
[11:46:39] <smb> Tried a centos 5.0 install this week but was set back by the slight difference of yum upgrade to apt-get upgrade
[11:47:03] <smb> Daviey, If amazon upgrade... yes
[11:47:26] <smb> Otherwise I still have no clue what happens because I cannot look outside
[11:48:22] <smb> Daviey, The bug seems to be some interaction between xen hypervisor and the kernel. And it looks like newer Xen works
[11:48:59] <jjohansen> right, I find it unlikely this one can be resolved
[11:49:25] <smb> I guess the interesting part of natty failing is that this contains the 3 patches fiddling around with the interrrupt types used
[11:50:00] <smb> Which is iirc the changes we get asked to get for that problem...
[11:51:02] <jamespage> smb: anything else from the kernel team? or any questions for smb?
[11:51:14] <smb> On a sidenote I would have a patch now to make Hardy move to edge interrupts and the lucid updates just have hit the point of making them fasteoi...
[11:51:36] <Daviey> smb, thanks!
[11:51:37] * smb waits for questions
[11:52:07] <smoser> no questions, but comment to others
[11:52:08] <smb> Oh one thing
[11:52:15] <smoser> jjohansen, wrote to mailing list asking for feedback
[11:52:17] <smoser> GIVE HIM SOME
[11:52:30] <jjohansen> hehe, thanks smoser
[11:52:30] <smb> Has anybody exxperinece with using generic kernels under RHEL HVM?
[11:52:46] <smoser> "generic kernels"
[11:52:52] <smoser> as in kernel.org ?
[11:53:01] <smb> IOW 10.04 but not the ec2 kernel
[11:53:07] <smb> So lucid-generic
[11:53:18] <smoser> smb, well we know it doesnt work
[11:53:43] <Daviey> jjohansen, How is your list of wishes coming on?
[11:53:44] <smb> smoser, Then who sold that to the German LVM customer?
[11:54:02] <smoser> and i may have a bit more info for you.
[11:54:02] <smb> smoser, bug 751253
[11:54:03] <ubottu> Launchpad bug 751253 in linux (Ubuntu) "Many interrupts and slow disk I/O on Lucid xen guest" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/751253
[11:54:16] <jjohansen> Daviey: slowly, the two big ones are still xen dom0 and containers
[11:54:26] <Daviey> jjohansen, oh joy
[11:54:32] <smoser> smb, there was a thread on ubuntu-cloud about lucid hvm. i built a daily image to just see what would happen. i reported there what was wrong
[11:55:26] <smb> smoser, Hm, maybe I could chicken out of looking at that bug report and let you reply...
[11:55:32] <jamespage> OK guys - we are running a little short on time; smoser, smb can you pick that issue up separately
[11:55:37] <jamespage> please :-)
[11:55:41] <smoser> thread at https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-cloud/2011-March/000577.html
[11:55:43] <smb> ok ok. :)
[11:55:50] <jamespage> [TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)
[11:56:00] <jamespage> Guess that we have already discussed docs to death this week.
[11:56:08] <jamespage> [TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions from the Ubuntu Community
[11:56:36] <jamespage> So anything from the community this week?
[11:57:26] <jamespage> Okay so moving on...
[11:57:29] <jamespage> [TOPIC] Open Discussion
[11:57:38] <jamespage> Anything else anyone wants to raise?
[11:57:45] <Daviey> More ideas for blueprints for next UDS please
[11:57:54] <Daviey> (See ubuntu-server mailing list for inspiration)
[11:58:02] <SpamapS> I liked the wiki page last time
[11:58:03] <Daviey> or ping one of us. thanks
[11:58:13] <SpamapS> Should we start collecting in a wiki page or just go right to blueprint?
[11:58:31] <Daviey> SpamapS, I think hold fire for this week...
[11:58:35] <Daviey> lets collate more ideas.
[11:58:42] <Daviey> Although, talking of which...
[11:58:51] <SpamapS> Alright, I have a few that I'll be mailing about this week.
[11:58:57] <Daviey> considering the activity of the mysql alternatives thread, expected some more input on the comparision wikipage
[11:59:11] <Daviey> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase/FeatureComparison/MySQL
[11:59:30] <Daviey> and perhaps a similar thing, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase/FeatureComparison/NetworkMonitoring
[11:59:47] <jamespage> And finally....
[11:59:57] <Daviey> Currently there seems to be no compelling reason for us to look at anything other than mysql IMO.
[12:00:02] <Daviey> ..
[12:00:11] <jamespage> [TOPIC] Announce next meeting date and time
[12:00:24] <jamespage> Tuesday, April 12th 2011 16:00 UTC - see you all then :-)
[12:00:35] <jamespage> #endmeeting
Meeting ended.

MeetingLogs/Server/20110405 (last edited 2011-04-08 08:17:42 by james-page)