Multiseat optimized resource efficient Ubuntu
powered by Linux-VServer.
(C) 2006 by Soewono Effendi
MoreUbuntu is an open source project to provide multiseat Ubuntu powered by Linux-VServer to provide real isolated full-feature X11-Desktop based on Ubuntu.
Dated back to 11-April-2002 (known as backstreet-ruby), which can be found at Aivils' site http://www.ltn.lv/~aivils/index.php. Many people worked on multiseat as listed on the "Links" site: http://www.ltn.lv/~aivils/index.php?proj_id=multiseat&menu_id=4.
Some names and projects to mentioned (taken from the site above):
- XFree local multi user howto by Svetoslav Slavtchev
- Step by step instructions by Jean-Daniel Pauget
Multiseat X Under X11R6.9/7.0 by Cris Tyler
- Linux Multi Terminal - C3SL
- One sound card for each seat (pludov)
- Multilple locale X servers by Miguel Freitas (pioneer)
- Svetoslav Slavtchev's repository of files
- Russian multiterminal project Zmej Gorinich
- Multi-seat XFree solution under Linux with framebuffers by Frode Trydal
- Initial project linuxconsole
The "XFree Local Multi-User HOWTO" by Svetoslav Slavtchev dated back to 2003-05-13. Last updated Aug 2004. The HOWTO can be found at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/.
(This list is not trying to be complete, please notice me if you think your name is forgotten here.)
Linux-VServer Project's WIKI: http://linux-vserver.org/Linux-VServer
- "Linux-VServer provides virtualization for GNU/Linux systems. This is accomplished by kernel level isolation. It allows to run multiple virtual units at once. Those units are sufficiently isolated to guarantee the required security, but utilize available resources efficiently, as they run on the same kernel."
Thanks go to Herbert Pötzl and all #vserver team.
And thanks go to GeraldHochegger for providing VServer for Ubuntu.
Where are the sources?
More to come after LinuxTag2006
Project name is definitely moreubuntu. License is LPGL, where applicable, otherwise GPL and it is an open source project. Commercial usage is welcome and encourage to.