General Mutt documentation.
Mutt is a powerful command line email client. It supports both mbox and Maildir formats. The protocols supported include POP3 and IMAP. It was originally designed to be a Mail User Agent (MUA) and used to rely on Sendmail but support for sending mail was eventually added.
- Full MIME support, full PGP/GPG and S/MIME integration.
- Message scoring and threading capabilities.
- Mutt relies on external tools for composing and filtering messages.
- Support for mail threading
- Message composing is done using an external text editor of the users choice.
- Keyboard Macros for performing complex functions
- Extensible functions using patches
1 sudo apt-get install mutt
The configuration file ~/.muttrc will be used for each users. If it is not present, then the global config file /etc/Muttrc will be used.
~$ touch ~/.muttrc ~$ sudo chmod 600 ~/.muttrc ~$ nano ~/.muttrc
### # User info ### set realname = "alice" set from = "firstname.lastname@example.org" set use_from = no set envelope_from ="yes" mailboxes imap://mail.com set folder="imap://mail.com/INBOX" set imap_user="alice" #your IMAP user name or login set imap_pass="mysecret" #your IMAP password # If not set in ~/.bashrc: set spoolfile = /var/mail/alice
http://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html ( Mutt + Gmail )