Marc Lüthi (1973), living in northern Argovia (Switzerland) near Baden.
- collected first experience with Red Hat, Mandrake and Debian, but never really made the switch over to Linux.
- discovered Gentoo and loved it, for about a year on one PC and several Sun Ultra workstations. It taught me a lot about Linux and helped to complete the migration to Linux - great support community.
- found Ubuntu in it's late 4.10 days and was instantly upon it.
- running Ubuntu 11.04 on another Laptop (HP Pavilion dv5000)
- running Ubuntu 10.10 on a Shuttle SN95Gv3 barebone with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (Toledo).
- running Ubuntu 10.04 server with some services (NFSv4, Samba, DNS) on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e (Brisbane EE)
- all in a fully dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 environment
my page on Launchpad
spurious visits to the local Linux User Group http://www.lug-ag.ch/
helping out with the networking part (switches/routers, wireless, mirror server) at SwissTeam's release parties for 7.04, 7.10, 8.04 and 8.10
Education and Career
dropout in summer '96 at Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Lausanne), Department of Electrical Engineering, after two failures at first preliminary exams. I hate maths ever since then.
a short visit to Uni St.Gallen turned out to be a dead end in spring '94; I just didn't feel at home with the ties and white collars, and left after one semester.
Matura '93 at Kantonschule Beromünster. Those were the golden years.
Senior System Engineer at Econis (Oct.'10 and counting )
Network engineer in the IT & Logistics division at SIX Group ('09- Sept.'10)
Network specialist at SIX - Swiss Exchange ('02-'09)
IT supporter with Holcim (Switzerland) during almost five years ('96-'01)
Certifications and other Qualifications
CCNA since February 2005, recertified in Feb. 2012.
complete and utter failure to become a CCIE during summer 2005. Sometimes, you can aim too high indeed.
- Cisco Live! 2008 in Orlando/FL, with a good focus on IPv6
- Cisco Live! 2012 in London(UK)
Fields of Interest
- Networking. TCP/IP, Routing, Switching, Firewalls (mainly Cisco-oriented)
- Redundancy, fault-tolerance and resilience in networking
- unixoid operating systems
- the protocols of the Internet in general, with some deep love for IPv6.
inline skating and airboarding in wintertime.
Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld.
Life, the Universe and Everything http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy.
- listening to what people (don't) say when they open their hearts to let grief, anger, pain, sorrow or old memories out.
- Goa and Psychedelic Trance music and parties, Didgeridoo.
Geocaching: The Global GPS Cache Hunt http://www.geocaching.com/