Ubuntu NC LoCo Team IRC Meeting - April 1, 2010 - 7pm
The agenda that was used to conduct the meeting can be found here.
Meeting opened by _marx_ at 23:00
<_marx_> Hi Yall
<akgraner> hi _marx_ thanks for Chairing tonights meeting - you rock!
<_marx_> rocking chair rock
<_marx_> quick roll call
<_marx_> who's awake for the meeting?
<_marx_> [topic] individual advocacy
<_marx_> anything to report on individual activities?
<jcg2> participated in the huge Global Jam event last weekend
<internalkernel> Ha, I met this guy in DC who runs Cyber Cafes in Ghana Africa - also supplies comps to children and schools...
<internalkernel> turned him onto 'Buntu
<jfrorie> we appear to have a new linux meetup in the area in clt
<internalkernel> he was totally into... drop the hook when he asked, "How much does it cost?"
<akgraner> yeah lets see - I'm speaking at the Texas Linux Fest, GLUG, and attending POSSCON in April
<alinuxfan> i am in and out...just got home
<internalkernel> alinuxfan: good day!
<alinuxfan> hey internalkernel
<_marx_> and _marx_ did one dual boot install for a neighbor
<jcg2> akgraner, FWIW, there was in is a defunct GLUG but this one is GCLUG
<_marx_> outstanding internalkernel
<akgraner> I spoke at the Ubucon, WIOS, and UpSCaLE talks at SCaLE8x in Feb
<akgraner> jcg2, yeah that
<akgraner> oh crap March not Feb
<internalkernel> oh also converted a couple other guys in Orlando - they may pop in here to say hi eventually, we'll have to connect them to the FL loco
<akgraner> see this is my day today
<akgraner> I spoke at the wnclug in March
<alinuxfan> i am showing off my database running ubuntu and apache and sqlite at work...talking about linux and burnt 4 cds for people today
<internalkernel> akgraner: s/spoke/lectured
<akgraner> internalkernel, you weren't even there so ha!
<internalkernel> I know you!
<jfrorie> I've been trying to assist the new meetup, They are meeting next week. The leader appears interested in ubuntu subject matter.
<alinuxfan> trying to fix a guy's windows box that has a COMPLETELY FULL hd with all the linux distros that I can think to rescue a system with, but it won't mount the ntfs...tells me to boot into windows and run chkdsk /f
<akgraner> jfrorie, great
<jfrorie> Im also moveing a company over the ubuntu for development
<jfrorie> over to, rather
<_marx_> last call
<jfrorie> 3 developers
<akgraner> oh and we re-org'd the wikis
<jcg2> jfrorie, there are two guys here in the Charlotte area who are interested too, did you make contact witht them
<nameiner> I'm here now, sorry for being late
<akgraner> jfrorie, I've been giving people in the Charlotte area your IRC nick to be on the lookout for
<jfrorie> I didn;t. I put note out on the charlug, ubunut-nc and UNCC lug groups for a potential meetup, but got no replies
<jcg2> davidvasta was one ... tronyx was the other
<_marx_> good point jcg2
<jfrorie> The linux meetup appear to have some interest, but it's close timing to the release party date.
<akgraner> _marx_, also we have now populated the ubuntunc.com site
<akgraner> internalkernel, and I for now - if anyone else is interested in helping with that - let one of us know
<_marx_> some of these individual items could move to team items so let's keep that in mind
<akgraner> so yeah we have all been busy it seems
<internalkernel> its a straight up wordpress blog... super simple...
<_marx_> last call
<akgraner> well individual stuff count toward team right?
akgraner can not type tonight - nm me
<_marx_> well efforts initiated by individuals move forward to having help from other team members
<_marx_> [topic] team advocacy
<_marx_> looking at the agenda
<_marx_> jcg2: have you contacted Adam Petaccia yet?
<jcg2> anyone know the fellow who set up the Facebook page?
<jcg2> Nope, I don't know him and he has not replied to me queries
<jcg2> He set this up a bit over a year ago, I believe
<jcg2> No one knows him?
<_marx_> i do not
<akgraner> we can always start a new one and use the tag line "spreading Ubuntu across the Tar Heel state" or something and redirect people to the new one and make sure like 5 or 6 people have admin access or something
BugeyeD sneaks in the back door
<_marx_> i think we should continue to try to contact him
<jcg2> OK, next item you can read.. mostly informational ... working on advocacy plan for the loco
<akgraner> I'll send and email to him tomorrow then
<_marx_> ak action item on that?
<jcg2> Maybe he'll reply to a female
<_marx_> akgraner: action item for you on that?
<akgraner> yep go for it
<_marx_> [action] akgraner to contact facebook page founder re: control
akgraner to contact facebook page founder re: control
<akgraner> oh jcg2 publicity stuff I need to get you the share ubuntu stuff
<jcg2> dunno what that is
<_marx_> [topic] global jam reports
global jam reports
<jcg2> we had one
<jcg2> lasted 3 hours and had an attendance of two
<_marx_> and _marx_ bot infected with strep from grandson and missed it
<akgraner> there were people in atendance in the channel as well helping triage bugs and stuff
<jfrorie> _marx_ a bot? Wow. That's kewl
<_marx_> hehe well it wasn't _that cool
<akgraner> a bot with strep that takes talent
<_marx_> jcg2: your contact at jamestown campus may be a good one for future global jam days
<jcg2> _marx_, may be, will have to work it a bit .. it's a gclug contact at the moment
<_marx_> okay so we didn't do that great on global jam events this go around
<jcg2> any thoughts on why?
<_marx_> [topic] release parties
<_marx_> sorry jcg2 trying to get to some cool new biz by 8
<_marx_> so far we have Winston, Raleigh
<jcg2> I understand... just following the agenda .. no problem
<_marx_> any others
<nameiner> Raleigh will have one at the Big Boss Brewery
<jfrorie> im not getting any response. I'm going to put my weight behind the local linux meetup and see if I can get interst there.
<_marx_> nameiner: is that on the team wiki yet?
<jcg2> depends on where on the wiki you want it, nameiner
<_marx_> upcoming events
_marx_ wearing out the backspace button tonight
<nameiner> I think I put it on there or didn't I?
<jcg2> dunno, not my deal
<alinuxfan> nameiner, you need any help with set up for that?
<_marx_> nothing in the Asheville area?!
<nameiner> alinuxfan, so far we have not much to set up
<nameiner> it's a bar and we have a table reserved in a side room
<alinuxfan> nameiner, easy enough :d
<_marx_> PR on Release parties: jcg2 did that flyer ever get finalized?
<nameiner> we might get a tour through the brewery though
<jcg2> I think so.. think it's on the wiki
<BugeyeD> ooh, i might show up for that one
<jcg2> So there is no event in Asheville?
<nameiner> sure BugeyeD
<_marx_> jcg2: not that i'm aware of
<jcg2> OK, thanks
<_marx_> wish they would move release day to fridays
<jcg2> jfrorie, if you arrange something in CLT pls let me know
<_marx_> well that might make it more difficult to book joints
<jfrorie> jcg2: are u in clt
<jcg2> jfrorie, no, but am trying to assist from an advocacy standpoint with publicity
<jcg2> I'll be at the W-S party, I'm sure
<jfrorie> Imight go to WS. what's the time?
<_marx_> jcg2: we need to have an .odt format copy on the wiki so others can easily edit for their location
<jcg2> action item for me?
<_marx_> [action] jcg2 odt format release party flyier on wiki
jcg2 odt format release party flyier on wiki
<_marx_> holstein: glad you made it!
<_marx_> okay something may pop up for release parties in the a'ville are in days to come
<holstein> we are doing one
<_marx_> last call on release parties
<_marx_> ah go ahead holstein
<jcg2> yolu know something you aren't sharing? Or just being optimistic?
holstein getting date
<holstein> we talked about doing it may 1st
<holstein> at the firestorm
<holstein> during the normal WNCLUG meeting time
<_marx_> well it doesn't have to be on release day
<holstein> thats what im planning on scheduling offically
<holstein> after this saturdays meeting
<_marx_> holstein: can you wiki that once it's in "stone"
holstein has bad luck with adding dates to the wiki
<holstein> i'll try
<jcg2> hollar and I'll help holstein
<holstein> and if i have an issue
<holstein> i'll holla
<_marx_> send it to the list and jcg2 will help
<_marx_> [topic] team approval
<jcg2> That will be 3, maybe 4 parties in NC
<jcg2> I think we are on track with the AA ... page could use more pics but I cannot find photos of other events.
<_marx_> akgraner: who did you get to look at our approval app?
<jcg2> Ded we participate in the ALF last year?
akgraner catches up - I got locked out of our server
<nameiner> did you get the pics from last Raleigh release party
<BugeyeD> i think akgraner was at alf
<akgraner> Oh I had dantalizing look at it
<jcg2> The last release party was a bit confused in labeling, but yes I think I did.
<akgraner> and laura czajkowski
<akgraner> loco council folks
<akgraner> oh and itnet7
<_marx_> good, i was thinking of that irish polish name
<akgraner> yeppers I was one of the organizers
<akgraner> of ALF
<akgraner> what's up?
<jcg2> So, did the loco have a presence there at ALF
<akgraner> oh jcg2 yep we participated
<_marx_> ALF add that to the approval app?
<akgraner> I organized the ubucon and helped organized the main event
<akgraner> let me get you some links
<jcg2> Need more info Mark. can't add unless it says something provable
<_marx_> i understand jcg2
<akgraner> http://amber.redvoodoo.org/2009/09/ohio-linux-fest.html here is Ohio
<_marx_> i'm going to cut this off to give time for new stuff that is kind of exciting
<akgraner> here is Atlanta - http://amber.redvoodoo.org/2009/09/atlanta-linux-fest-and-mini-ubucon-o.html
<akgraner> another atlanta http://blog.redvoodoo.org/2009/09/atlanta-linuxfest-day-after.html
<jcg2> So are you suggesting I put your travels on the Approval page as team projects?
<_marx_> [topic] new items
<_marx_> jfrorie: take it now
<BugeyeD> i went to disney in january
<jfrorie> ok, today I had an exchange with Mr. shuttleworth that was rather interesting.
<_marx_> listen up people!
<alinuxfan> cool jfrorie
<akgraner> more atlanta - http://boredandblogging.com/2009/08/13/ubuntu-atlanta-linux-fest-2009/
<jfrorie> I wanted to purse an ubuntu sound theme project contest using some of the online sites, like kompoz.com and freesound.org
<akgraner> jcg2, no - I was one of the organizers of Atlanta
<akgraner> and Pete spoke at Ohio
<akgraner> and I helped with a couple booths at Ohio
<akgraner> gotta read the posts
<jfrorie> blessing is probabyl a strong word, but I'm in contact with dudes at canonical
<jfrorie> I'm going to try to organize this. I thouhg it might be a good thing to open up to the loco. Might help us get approved.
<_marx_> so a contest for a new sound theme?
<akgraner> jcg2, here is the spread ubuntu stuff - http://spreadubuntu.neomenlo.org/
<jfrorie> basically, that's the idea. Similar to what they are doing now with wallpapers.
<akgraner> jfrorie, yeah that is awesome
<jcg2> I'm all for the Loco doing this...
<akgraner> let me know when you get the go - I'll blog and stuff about it
<jcg2> think it will be too late for approval, but still like the idea
<jfrorie> I've been in contact with bram de jong a while back. I need ot reestablish those contacts. Id like input form audio artists from anywhere to get input on ideas, venue, etc.
<akgraner> jfrorie, what is the contest that is there now?
<akgraner> free and open something something something
<_marx_> me too, I know we have some strong sound audio folks here like holstein
<jfrorie> akgraner: where?
<jcg2> given that ubuntu's sound performance is crippled (or mine is) it does resemble putting lipstick on a hog, tho .. still as a project, I like it
<_marx_> hum my sound rocks!
<holstein> if anybody wants a hand with audio, let me know
<akgraner> in ubuntu let me find the link
<jfrorie> My thinking is that it will bring a new segment to unbuntu that may nothave exposure
<holstein> recording, mastering, whatever
<jfrorie> this might bring improvments to the audio as a whole
<jfrorie> lots a of windows talent we can nab
<jcg2> true, calling attention to deficits may get them fixed
<akgraner> free culture showcase
<holstein> JACK knows no deficits
<jfrorie> jono may want to get behind this as he is a musician. sorta
<akgraner> no he's not behind it - it's a community thing
<akgraner> he is the community leader so he blogged about it
<_marx_> akgraner: that was sarcasm
<jcg2> am I the only one whose sound quits sometime after a flash video is played?
<holstein> severed fifth FTW!
<jfrorie> flash is mutt
<jfrorie> a mutt
holstein doesnt even have flash installed on audio production box
<jcg2> may be a mutt but it is a big part of the net that everyone wants to use
<_marx_> should we adopt this as a new project?
<jfrorie> jcg2: agreed
<akgraner> oh sorry - sarcasm is lost on me tonight
<_marx_> jfrorie: would you like for this to be a team project?
<akgraner> so there is the wiki on the free Culture showcase - jfrorie I don't know that much about it but are we going to duplicate the effort there?
<jfrorie> I fine with it.
<jfrorie> marx: I'm fine with it.
<_marx_> i've been trying to keep these at an hour
<jcg2> Does anyone know the load we are looking at?
<jfrorie> I run a point of contact. Whoever joins in, it would be appreciated.
<akgraner> jfrorie, so will this be for 10.10?
<_marx_> not sure if a vote is in order though
<akgraner> can we take it to the mailing list
<jfrorie> akgraner: dunno. We need to see how long it take to get together
<_marx_> i think that's good
<akgraner> so more people can give imput and a longer discussion can happen
<jcg2> mailing list is a good idea since we seem ot be out of time
<akgraner> jfrorie, yep I like the idea
<akgraner> just want to make sure we aren't going to confuse community members and all
<jfrorie> akgraner: confuse how?
<akgraner> b/c of the competition that already exists and all
<_marx_> [action] jfrorie report to mailing list on new project "sound theme contest"
jfrorie report to mailing list on new project "sound theme contest"
<akgraner> we don't want people thinking they are applying for the Free Culture stuff
<akgraner> and it's not
<akgraner> that kind of stuff
<jfrorie> ah. I want this to be external to ubuntu. I want this on outside websites. I think we need a wider audeince.
<jfrorie> I was these site to use this to drive traffic to them. Thet way they will get behind it
<jcg2> In that case, I'm not sure its a loco project
<akgraner> so can you write up your idea and send it to the mailing list - I think I am not seeing the big picture
<akgraner> so the sounds would not be for Ubuntu
<jfrorie> It is if it steer by the loco
<akgraner> I would think it needs to be ubuntu specific for us to back it?
<jfrorie> They would be ubuntu.
<jcg2> I'd like to see a breakdown of the project
<_marx_> new splash sound the ultimate goal?
<holstein> ubuntu system sounds
<holstein> a system sound theme pack
<jfrorie> The whole freedesktop speicifcation
<akgraner> so lernard writes pulse audio
<akgraner> upstream guy
<akgraner> who are the others and how are they related to ubuntu
<jfrorie> dunno. Its a community spec
<_marx_> well all that can go to the mailing list
<akgraner> ok big question
<akgraner> so people submit
<akgraner> what is plan to get it included in 10.10
<akgraner> or is the for upstream?
<jfrorie> 10.10 if there is time
<_marx_> 7 months
<jcg2> Will there be DRM issues? Ownership and copyright concerns?
<akgraner> I'm not to squash this....
<jfrorie> cc licensing
<akgraner> but what is the incentive for people to submit
<holstein> yup, submissions need to be CC'd
<akgraner> we as a loco can't promise it will be included
<jfrorie> see your stuff in an os.
<jfrorie> amber: that's correct
<_marx_> the loco just sponsors the contest
<holstein> WELL, and they could be available
<akgraner> yeah but we can't promise Canonical will include anything
<jcg2> We need a much lengthier discussion than we have time for here
<holstein> the sound theme
<holstein> if its used or not
<jfrorie> there are no promises
<holstein> we could just offer the theme
<holstein> on line
<akgraner> then it can't be a contest
<akgraner> contest has goals
<akgraner> and winners
<akgraner> what will the winner get?
<jfrorie> the contest would be for review of inclusion
<akgraner> "review of inclusion" people can do that without a contest
<akgraner> we gotta plan this out - I like the idea
<jcg2> will the participants pay to enter?
<jfrorie> but who has done it up to this point?
<jfrorie> We are offering a path
<_marx_> well i made an action item on it
<akgraner> yeah but we can't call a path a competiton
<_marx_> jfrorie: can you write up your idea/s and post to the team mailing list?
<akgraner> +1 jcg2 more discussion
<akgraner> jfrorie, who are you talking to at Canonical?
<akgraner> lets see if we can get some more guidance - I like the idea
<jfrorie> connor and there appear to be two other that wont to get involved.
<akgraner> conner who?
<jcg2> I think an outline or mindmap would be very helpful for the member of the loco
<akgraner> audio guy?
<jfrorie> hang a sec...
<jfrorie> connor curran
<akgraner> ok - just want to make sure we touch all the right bases as far as Canonical is concerned
<_marx_> everyone cool with the action item i posted earlier?
<jcg2> cannot recall it
<akgraner> oh DX team guy work for David Barth
<_marx_> thanks jfrorie
<jcg2> not cool with that I don't know... sorry
<_marx_> well that's the action item, jim to post to maililing list
<akgraner> cool with me
<jcg2> OK.. thanks... I am cool with that
<akgraner> only reason I am wondering is the UW team has run to contests and there are a lot of i's to dot and t's to cross
<akgraner> two not to
<_marx_> okay ending now
<_marx_> noted akgraner
Meeting closed at 00:16
- akgraner to contact facebook page founder re: control
- jcg2 odt format release party flyier on wiki
- jfrorie report to mailing list on new project "sound theme contest"