Dan Hough writes:
I did find a remark on one of the lists that samba-3.0.23 was causing some people some problems. The original samba version on the Fedora Core 5 CD is 3.0.21b. So, this time I did not let yum (or your script) update samba. This has solved the immediate problem.
Change the server netbios name
Paul Lemke writes:
I ran into an issue where my server netbios name was too long. Here are the steps it takes to change the netbios name. Samba is just fine if you modify the smb.conf file, but any accounts you have created in LDAP will have the old netbios name in it. Specifically the //olddomain/profiles, and //olddomain/netlogon directories.
Step 1: Stop services
/etc/init.d/smb stop /etc/init.d/ldap stop
These might be "samba stop" or "slapd stop" depending on your server.
Step 2: Extract and backup your current LDAP database.
slapcat > ~/ldap.ldif cp ~/ldap.ldif ~/ldap.ldif.bak
Step 3: Replace old netbios name with new netbios name.
sed -i 's/OLDNAME/NEWNAME/g' ~/ldap.ldif
Step 4: Move the current ldap database. Just in case we screw up we can always copy it back.
cd /var/lib/ldap mkdir backup mv * backup/
Step 5: Import fixed ldif file.
slapadd < ~/ldap.ldif
Step 6: Start up ldap, samba.
/etc/init.d/smb start /etc/init.d/ldap start
Step 7: Fix the sasmba local SID issue.
net getlocalsid OLDNAME
Copy the SID that is listed there.
net setlocalsid SID
And you are done.