I, Stefan Bader, apply for core-dev.
Who I am
I currently live in Germany and am employed by Canonical as a Kernel Engineer. I am currently acting as the interface between the kernel and the server team and contact for all kernel (or related) issues that the server team brings up. Also, I am now doing all the Xen packaging for Ubuntu. Before that I was doing the maintenance of the released kernel trees. And before joining Canonical I was working for IBM as a kernel developer on the zSeries (S/390) architecture.
My Ubuntu story
I started with Linux around 1993 (version 0.99 patchlevel 14) with kernel compiles as sort of a requirement. After some less intense involvements on other UNIX platforms I joined the mainframe development in 2000. There the main distributions were Redhat and Novel/SUSE. I joined Canonical in January 2008 and have since then dived into the Ubuntu/Debian way of work.
- Member of the Canonical Kernel Team since January 2008
- Coordination and maintenance of all stable kernel releases
- Working on server/cloud related issues and maintaining Xen in Ubuntu.
Examples of my work / Things I'm proud of
- Kernel maintenance for Dapper, Gutsy, Hardy and Intrepid
- CVE triaging and upload preparations
- Working on kernel bugs
- Working with the kernel team community (IRC and mailing list)
- Helping in bringing back Xen host support into Ubuntu and ensuring Xen guest can be managed as simply as KVM guest from virt-manager.
Things I could do better
- Spend more time on open kernel bugs
Plans for the future
- Try to reduce the delta we got for Xen between Debian and Ubuntu.
What I like least in Ubuntu
Having to say "won't-fix" in the knowledge of that sometimes being better than to regress for others.
If you'd like to comment, but are not the applicant or a sponsor, do it here. Don't forget to sign with @SIG@.
As a sponsor, just copy the template below, fill it out and add it to this section.
== <SPONSORS NAME> == === General feedback === ## Please fill us in on your shared experience. (How many packages did you sponsor? How would you judge the quality? How would you describe the improvements? Do you trust the applicant?) === Specific Experiences of working together === ''Please add good examples of your work together, but also cases that could have handled better.'' === Areas of Improvement ===