20101019

Meeting opened by danfish at 20:00

  • popey has a loco council meeting so wont be here Sad :(

    <AlanBell> o/

    <brunogirin> o/

    <danfish> Give a o/ if you're here

    <brobostigon> present

    <freesitebuilder> o/

    <brobostigon> o/

    <Yorvyk> o/

    <danfish> [LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeamMeetingAgenda/

  • <AlanBell> links to release party pictures would be good to put there

    <danfish> most definitely

    <brobostigon> yes.

    <danfish> an email to the mailing list may be an idea

    <danfish> [ACTION] danfish to email the mailing list re piccies

danfish to email the mailing list re piccies

  • <danfish> [PROGRESS REPORT] daubers to mail list relating to progress and next steps on the improving support project

daubers to mail list relating to progress and next steps on the improving support project

  • <danfish> daubers around?

    <brobostigon> this is interesting.

    <brunogirin> well, there was definitely a mail sent to the list asking where everybody was based

    <brobostigon> yes brunogirin

    <danfish> it also may link into some of the ideas for the new website re location etc

    <brobostigon> dont we have a location map onthe beta site

    <danfish> there's the beginnings of one AFAIK

    <danfish> moving on

    <brobostigon> a beginning is good,

    <danfish> [PROGRESS REPORT] CyberJacob to investigate automating the profile roulette page

CyberJacob to investigate automating the profile roulette page

  • <AlanBell> haven't heard anything further on that

    <brobostigon> i dont know anything about this.

    <danfish> I think it got carried over from the last meeting as well - probably best let it drop

    <brobostigon> ok,

    <AlanBell> lets move on from that, there might be a better way to do it . . .

    <danfish> OK

    <danfish> [PROGRESS REPORT] danfish - Distributed Storage

danfish - Distributed Storage

  • <danfish> a few meetings back I proposed looking into p2p distributed storage for archival purposes

    <danfish> something we could offer team members

    <brobostigon> interesting idea.

    <danfish> I had a poke round some of the projects I could find, including one of the proprietary ones (wuala)

    <brobostigon> ok.

    <danfish> tbh, most of the projects I found have been abandoned for a number of reasons

    <danfish> the legal situation for one is fraught with problems

    <brobostigon> understandable.

    <danfish> however, from the mailing list, a few people were interested in dropbox/ubuntu one alternatives

    <danfish> maybe that's an idea for the future

    <brobostigon> yes, i agree.

    <danfish> moving on to...

    <danfish> [TOPIC] AlanBell - The new team website

AlanBell - The new team website

  • <AlanBell> that is the discussion document where we are throwing ideas down

    <AlanBell> anyone with ideas should join in the pad document for a start

    <AlanBell> looking for features to implement mostly at the moment

    <AlanBell> or tweaks to the aesthetics

    <brobostigon> i will think,

    <AlanBell> then we will move on to content type stuff

    <danfish> "Tweets We Twote" Smile :)

    <AlanBell> not duplicating generic Ubuntu stuff, focussing on UK stuff

    <danfish> it's taking shape nicely

    <AlanBell> we can do things like funky map integration, presenting the IRC stuff better

    <AlanBell> provide news and links to events etc.

    <JamesTait-HTC> It is looking great so far, really good work.

    <AlanBell> any burning comments anyone wants to make now? or discuss more in the planning document

    <brobostigon> i havent managed to have a good look at it yet,

    <danfish> I think discuss more in the planning document and review at next meeting

    <AlanBell> yup

    <brobostigon> ok.

    <danfish> [ACTION] AlanBell - discuss ongoing work re new website

AlanBell - discuss ongoing work re new website

  • <danfish> [TOPIC] AlanBell - Christmas Party

AlanBell - Christmas Party

  • <AlanBell> so lets do it again \o/

    <brunogirin> \o/

    <danfish> any dates in mind?

    <AlanBell> I spoke to a venue called the Hub today, sister site of the place we did last year

    <brunogirin> the one in king's cross?

  • <AlanBell> http://kingscross.the-hub.net/public/

    <AlanBell> they are thinking of doing a shared christmas event

    <AlanBell> so it would be several groups at once

    <brunogirin> as I said on the list, I live just up the road from there so if you need help organising, count me in

    <AlanBell> great

    <JamesTait-HTC> So take some CDs to hand out! Wink ;-)

    <AlanBell> it might be on the 16th of December (a Thursday)

    <AlanBell> JamesTait-HTC: certainly!

    <AlanBell> or I could tell them we would prefer Friday 17th

    <AlanBell> opinions?

    <brobostigon> friday might be better for those workingpeople.

    <TheOpenSourcerer> Thursday

    <danfish> do we want to vote?

    <JamesTait-HTC> IIRC, the Canonical bash is on the 9th.

    <AlanBell> hmm, not really

    <TheOpenSourcerer> Lots of people will have already got Christmas doos organised for Fridays.

    <brobostigon> i wont be ble to get to london, so no vote from me,

    <JamesTait-HTC> Not saying that should influence anything, just FYI.

    <danfish> very true TheOpenSourcerer

    <AlanBell> ok, so Thursday or Friday both have their merits

    <AlanBell> I will continue the discussion with them then

    <TheOpenSourcerer> At that time of year, everyone wants to party as much as possible. So why clog up a busy Friday the week before Christmas.

    <danfish> are you happy to lead on that AlanBell, with brunogirin to help?

    <AlanBell> TheOpenSourcerer: Thursday is looking more probable certainly

    <AlanBell> danfish: yup

    <danfish> [ACTION] AlanBell - liaise with the Hub re XMAS bash, provisionally for Thurs 16th

AlanBell - liaise with the Hub re XMAS bash, provisionally for Thurs 16th

  • <danfish> [TOPIC] danfish - Ubuntu and OSS in Public Sector Event

danfish - Ubuntu and OSS in Public Sector Event

  • <danfish> me again

    <danfish> a good event (though I couldn't go) was held by AlanBell and others re ubuntu in business

    <danfish> with the squeeze in public sector finances occuring, a similar event to target the public sector is an idea I've been brewing

    <brobostigon> i like that ide, danfish

    <brobostigon> idea*

    <brunogirin> do we want to do public sector in general or more health oriented?

    <danfish> I think both really

    <AlanBell> when, where, what help do you need?

    <TheOpenSourcerer> danfish: It's a good idea.

    <danfish> It's gonna take some planning and advertising

    <danfish> so any help welcome

    <danfish> but I was thinking next year - Feb/March

    <JamesTait-HTC> I think Public Sector is an impossibly broad target to start from, maybe select specific targets to gain momentum?

    <brunogirin> I can help with passing the word around, in fact I've mentioned it to some people I know in the health sector and got some interest

    <TheOpenSourcerer> There is increasing levels of interest and equal amounts of fear and uncertainty. We should take the opportunity to satisfy and help.

    <danfish> We could start with health, as the microsoft exclusivity deal has now ended

    <danfish> but then I'm biased Smile :)

    <brobostigon> Smile :)

    <brobostigon> yes

    <danfish> the BCS are holding an event next week

    <danfish> [LINK] http://www.oshi-uk.com/

  • <JamesTait-HTC> I don't know your background, but if you have contacts already we should capitalise!

    <TheOpenSourcerer> I had that in my diary but will not be able to make it now.

    <danfish> which I'm hoping to attend. I think this may be good place to judge the 'mood'

    <JamesTait-HTC> Sounds like a plan.

    <TheOpenSourcerer> The Westminster Eforum I spoke at last month was also interesting.

    <TheOpenSourcerer> A whole event on Open Source.

    <TheOpenSourcerer> The Policy Makers know what's coming.

    <danfish> TheOpenSourcerer: I saw your transcript - good talk

    <TheOpenSourcerer> TY

    <TheOpenSourcerer> 5 minutes isn't long enough really.

    <brunogirin> how do we intend to run the event? talks + demos like last time?

    <TheOpenSourcerer> Not sure on the demo front.

    <JamesTait-HTC> Success stories.

    <TheOpenSourcerer> Yes. JamesTait-HTC

    <danfish> I'm not sure we can only focus on Ubuntu - it may have to be more OSS

    <danfish> in general

    <brunogirin> yes it would open up the discussion a bit

    <danfish> OK - I'll put some time into this one and report back at the next meeting

    <danfish> any leads or contacts anyone can provide would be most welcome

    <brunogirin> danfish, do you need help with ideas? I can also help with leads

    <danfish> brunogirin: *any* help appreciated

    <danfish> Smile :)

    <danfish> maybe an etherpad for this one

    <brunogirin> good idea

    <JamesTait-HTC> +1

    <brunogirin> and what about an action for the both of us to start brainstorming ideas and come back with progress at the next meeting?

    <danfish> [LINK]http://pad.ubuntu-uk.org/OSSinPublicSector

  • <danfish> brunogirin: excellent

    <danfish> [ACTION] danfish and brunogirin to brainstorm re public sector OSS event

danfish and brunogirin to brainstorm re public sector OSS event

  • <danfish> (and anyone else!)

    <danfish> moving on

    <danfish> [TOPIC] danfish - Any Other Business

danfish - Any Other Business

  • <danfish> any other, other business?

    <danfish> Ok then

    <danfish> [TOPIC] Date of next meeting

Date of next meeting

  • <danfish> we left a 3 week gap this time instead of the 'normal' 2 weeks

    <danfish> any preferences?

    <brobostigon> nothing specific here, no

    <JamesTait-HTC> Same time works for me, not fussed about the day.

    <danfish> let's say 2 weeks then

    <brunogirin> 2nd November?

    <brobostigon> ok.

    <danfish> 2nd November 2010 at 20:00 UTC (21:00 BST)

    <JamesTait-HTC> +1

    <AlanBell> ok

    <popey> +1

    <popey> Smile :)

    <brunogirin> +1

    <brobostigon> +1

    <popey> ^ sole contribution from me

    <JamesTait-HTC> Will we still be in BST then?

    <TheOpenSourcerer> +1

    <TheOpenSourcerer> No. UTC

    <danfish> JamesTait-HTC: good point - no

    <jacobw> +1

    <popey> s/UTC/GMT

    <TheOpenSourcerer> lol

    <popey> \o/ timezones

    <AlanBell> 9PM dammit

    <popey> heh

    <TheOpenSourcerer> UTC==GMT

    <popey> no, it isnt

    <brunogirin> so that would be 21:00 UTC (21:00 GMT) then?

    <popey> AlanBell: http://meow.popey.com/

    <webpigeon_laptop> I didn't think UTC accounted for timezones

    <JamesTait-HTC> So 21:00 UTC/GMT

    <webpigeon_laptop> sorry leap secounds

    <danfish> 2nd November 2010 at 21:00 GMT/UTC/GMB/GBH

    <popey> 21:00 "UK Time" Big Grin :)

    <danfish> [TOPIC] Chair for next meeting

Chair for next meeting

  • <webpigeon_laptop> PST (popey standard time)

    <brobostigon> lol

    <popey> 21:00 Popey'o'clock

    <popey> o/ volunteers

    <TheOpenSourcerer> "In casual use, when fractions of a second are not important, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) can be considered equivalent to UTC or UT1."

    <popey> I'll have you know there's nothing casual going on here Mister Lord!

    <TheOpenSourcerer> In technical contexts, usage of "GMT" is avoided; the unambiguous terminology "UTC" or "UT1" is preferred.

    <TheOpenSourcerer> Hah

    <danfish> was that TheOpenSourcerer volunteering?

    <freesitebuilder> and on the third stroke ...

    <AlanBell> danfish: popey volunteered

    <TheOpenSourcerer> danfish (21:57:38) popey: o/ volunteers

    <webpigeon_laptop> freesitebuilder, the time will be... KITTY \o/ ?

    <danfish> oh yeah, my bad

    <JamesTait-HTC> Seconded.

    <danfish> [ACTION] popey to chair next meeting

popey to chair next meeting

  • <JamesTait-HTC> EOM?

    <danfish> \o/

    <danfish> #endmeeting


Meeting closed at 21:00

People Present

Actions Recorded

  • danfish to email the mailing list re piccies
  • AlanBell - discuss ongoing work re new website

  • AlanBell - liaise with the Hub re XMAS bash, provisionally for Thurs 16th

  • danfish and brunogirin to brainstorm re public sector OSS event
  • popey to chair next meeting

UKTeam/MeetingNotes/20101019 (last edited 2010-10-19 21:08:46 by dan-fishms)