Meeting opened by AlanBell at 20:10
<AlanBell> ok, evening all o/
<Biglesp> hi o/
<brobostigon> evening AlanBell
<AlanBell> [TOPIC] review of action items from last meeting
review of action items from last meeting
<AlanBell> [PROGRESS REPORT] People who have achieved something in April, please place it in the report.
People who have achieved something in April, please place it in the report.
<AlanBell> well there is the London release party to add to that
<brobostigon> ok, i may have something for that,but it is a personal achievement, and not related to ubuntu, but OSS and OSH.
<Biglesp> I need to add a link for Linux Outlaws, and add the fullcircle podcast
<AlanBell> quite a full report this month
<AlanBell> [PROGRESS REPORT] AlanBell Update on the quiz night
AlanBell Update on the quiz night
<AlanBell> ok, well this was great fun
brobostigon missed it due to personal commitments,
<AlanBell> MartijnVdS and popey won baseball hats for their impressive high scores
<AlanBell> Jessica_Lilly won a copy of the official Ubuntu book as she admitted being a Gentoo user and thus was considered most in need of it!
<AlanBell> she got the book today
<AlanBell> popey's hat is sat on my desk still
<AlanBell> using Mumble worked quite well and we agreed to do that again some time
<AlanBell> possibly for some evening hack sessions or something
<brobostigon> AlanBell: yes, it worked very well, once we got it refined properly.
<AlanBell> for those who missed the quiz you can join the #ubuntu-trivia channel at any time and play with the quiz bot
<brobostigon> we should use it more,
<AlanBell> the "ubuntu" category was released for the quiz night and is now generally available in the brain of the bot
<AlanBell> ok, I think that is about it on the quiz
<AlanBell> [PROGRESS REPORT] Update on the launch party for natty
Update on the launch party for natty
<AlanBell> yup, that happened
<AlanBell> the more formal thing at the BCS didn't, I had to cancel that
<Biglesp> how come?
<AlanBell> canonical couldn't send a representative
<Biglesp> thats a pity
<barrydrake> That is not good
<AlanBell> I worked my way down the org chart asking people until it was getting silly
<AlanBell> however, they are going to try to arrange it for the next release
<brobostigon> AlanBell: couldnt someone from us, the community be representtive.
<AlanBell> not really
<AlanBell> however the thing in the pub was fun
<brobostigon> thats good.
<AlanBell> although some people struggled to find us
<Biglesp> was that before or after the beer
<brobostigon> interesting question.
<AlanBell> they do have a rather fine selection of beers at the porterhouse
<AlanBell> ok, the next topic should be the election process vote
<brobostigon> AlanBell: this is the same place oggcamp will be held?
<AlanBell> think I am going to defer that to the next meeting as I am not sure where the page is we are voting on and this meeting wasn't announced in advance enough
<AlanBell> brobostigon: nope, the porterhouse is a pub in central london
<AlanBell> oggcamp will be in the maltings in Farnham
<brobostigon> AlanBell: oh, it must be a similer name then.
<AlanBell> (where they have an annual beer festival)
<brobostigon> yes, they are similer
<AlanBell> hmm, no daubers
<AlanBell> [TOPIC] Daubers - British Library Sci-Fi Exhibition
Daubers - British Library Sci-Fi Exhibition
<AlanBell> daubers isn't online right now it seems
<AlanBell> however take a look at http://www.bl.uk/whatson/exhibitions/outofthisworld/outofthisworld.html
<AlanBell> what do you think about that as an activity?
<AlanBell> a meetup at the british library including or followed by a geeknic of some kind
<AlanBell> and cake
<barrydrake> I like it
<Biglesp> sounds good
<Biglesp> any potental dates?
<brobostigon> interesing idea.
<AlanBell> I don't think any dates have been proposed yet
<Biglesp> okey dokey, I'll keep an eye out
<barrydrake> Can we have a votey thing?
<AlanBell> yes, we can have a votey thing
<AlanBell> but we have to narrow it down to a reasonable selection of options first
<AlanBell> so looks like saturdays and sundays would be good options
<AlanBell> or possibly a tuesday evening
<Biglesp> definitely weekends, and if we can get dates soon enough it won't cost me an arm and a leg to come
<brobostigon> i dont think i could attend either, unless finances improve, so count me out, of the decision making,
<AlanBell> the library and exhibition are free, but travel costs can indeed be a pain
<Biglesp> yeah, I'm up in Blackpool, so its about Â£60 return
<brobostigon> farnham is around Â£12 eachway, that is alot for me, for oggcamp.
<barrydrake> I'mm up for that, but have very few unbooked weekends in July/August
<brobostigon> right now, anyway.
<AlanBell> ok, so I will have a chat with daubers (as he suggested it) and get some dates together to put to the list on a doodle poll
<AlanBell> [TOPIC] Any Other Business
Any Other Business
<AlanBell> does anyone have other things they want to raise at this time?
<Biglesp> If I may
<AlanBell> go ahead
<brobostigon> yes, my someones idea, of me doing a preentation at oggcamp because of myhydraulic car project, using arduino and other.
<Biglesp> I took an action at the last meeting to pull together a lessons learnt document, based on my experience of organising ucubed
<Biglesp> I have pulled together the following http://dl.dropbox.com/u/448790/Lessons%20learnt%20from%20UCubed.pdf
brobostigon shuts up.
<Biglesp> and this is still in draft form, I will refine the document and include it in a full guide soon
<Biglesp> I will also be working with the venue to produce a template for other events to use, to ensure that they achieve the most from their day
<AlanBell> that looks great at first glance, will read in full later
<Biglesp> hopefully the template will be transferrable for other events / venues
<Biglesp> AlanBell: Thanks
<Biglesp> All done!
<barrydrake> Just curious as to reactions to Natty so far
<AlanBell> brobostigon: do you need any help with that talk?
<brobostigon> AlanBell: yes, not done anything like it before,
<AlanBell> ok, lets discuss that a bit more after the meeting
<brobostigon> thank you.
<AlanBell> barrydrake: natty seems to be going down OK in the media I think
<AlanBell> I think the next release will be a lot more "finished"
brobostigon is gnome-shell man though, than a unity one.
<AlanBell> and that means the important LTS at 12.04 will be great
<brobostigon> remembering the year + worth of work prior.
<AlanBell> couple of other things to raise, this week is Ubuntu Open Week
<AlanBell> which is a series of online presentations aimed at users of Ubuntu
<brobostigon> mark's questions yesterday.
<AlanBell> loads of really great information in them
<zleap> when does that start or did it start
<barrydrake> I WAS a gnome desktop person until I persevered long enough to appreciate the power of Unity
<AlanBell> logs and schedule for the rest of the week are there
<AlanBell> hi popey
<brobostigon> evening popey
<barrydrake> Hi popey
<AlanBell> zleap: you have 2/5th of it remaining
<popey> sorry, forgot
<brobostigon> brb, sorry.
<zleap> it would be good if there was a way to notify users of such events, via the ubuntu notification thing
<AlanBell> and the next thing to raise is the Ubuntu Developer Summit which is next week
<AlanBell> zleap: http://ubuntu-news.org/calendars/fridge/
<AlanBell> so the developer summit is a week packed with sessions discussing different topics
<AlanBell> generally about things people might be working on for the next development cycle
<brobostigon> we do have our google calendar thingie dont we, zleap
<zleap> me, er nope
<AlanBell> decisions get taken there, and then get implemented and turn up on the CD six months later
<zleap> i still use a paper organiser
<brobostigon> AlanBell: i have some idea, on the gnome3 blueprint.
<AlanBell> the schedule is huge, and you can attend stuff remotely
<AlanBell> there are IRC channels for each room, a live audio feed
<AlanBell> and collaborative notes via etherpad (I made that bit \o/)
<brobostigon> here is a thought, uds session contribution help via mumble,
<AlanBell> so do have a look through the schedule and drop in on some sessions
<zleap> will have to look in to it, just signed up for another open uni course, that should keep me busy over summer
<AlanBell> audio is one way using icecast
<AlanBell> ok, anything else to mention?
<brobostigon> i have all the sessions layed out in my google calendar,
<candt> Apologies I do not have time just now to attend usefully
<candt> alan cocks
<AlanBell> hi candt
<brobostigon> evening candt
<AlanBell> [TOPIC] Date of next meeting
Date of next meeting
<candt> Hi Alan, a bit over busy with a couple of PCs from a friend from france and doing soem maintenance, so cannot attnd, apols.
<AlanBell> that is OK
<AlanBell> so next meeting, 3 weeks or so?
<brobostigon> no worries.
<AlanBell> Thursday again?
<brobostigon> AlanBell: sounds ok here,
<AlanBell> 26th may
<barrydrake> I'm out of the country, but if I can get a good signal, I'll be there
<AlanBell> popey to chair?
<popey> uh, yes
<popey> feel free to phone/text me next time
<popey> you have my number
<AlanBell> [agreed] next meeting Thursday 26th 9PM popey to chair
next meeting Thursday 26th 9PM popey to chair
Meeting closed at 20:53