20110505

Meeting opened by AlanBell at 20:10

  • <zleap> thanks

    <AlanBell> ok, evening all o/

    <barrydrake> Evening

    <Biglesp> hi o/

    <brobostigon> evening AlanBell Smile :)

    <AlanBell> [TOPIC] review of action items from last meeting

review of action items from last meeting

  • <AlanBell> [PROGRESS REPORT] People who have achieved something in April, please place it in the report.

People who have achieved something in April, please place it in the report.

  • <AlanBell> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/TeamReports/11/April

    <AlanBell> well there is the London release party to add to that

    <brobostigon> ok, i may have something for that,but it is a personal achievement, and not related to ubuntu, but OSS and OSH.

    <Biglesp> I need to add a link for Linux Outlaws, and add the fullcircle podcast

    <AlanBell> great

    <AlanBell> quite a full report this month

    <AlanBell> [PROGRESS REPORT] AlanBell Update on the quiz night

AlanBell Update on the quiz night

  • <AlanBell> ok, well this was great fun

  • brobostigon missed it due to personal commitments, Sad :(

    <AlanBell> MartijnVdS and popey won baseball hats for their impressive high scores

    <zleap> yay

    <AlanBell> Jessica_Lilly won a copy of the official Ubuntu book as she admitted being a Gentoo user and thus was considered most in need of it!

    <zleap> lol

    <brobostigon> lol, Smile :)

    <AlanBell> she got the book today

    <AlanBell> popey's hat is sat on my desk still

    <AlanBell> using Mumble worked quite well and we agreed to do that again some time

    <AlanBell> possibly for some evening hack sessions or something

    <brobostigon> AlanBell: yes, it worked very well, once we got it refined properly.

    <AlanBell> for those who missed the quiz you can join the #ubuntu-trivia channel at any time and play with the quiz bot

    <brobostigon> we should use it more, Smile :)

    <brobostigon> Smile :)

    <AlanBell> the "ubuntu" category was released for the quiz night and is now generally available in the brain of the bot

    <brobostigon> neat.

    <AlanBell> ok, I think that is about it on the quiz

    <AlanBell> [PROGRESS REPORT] Update on the launch party for natty

Update on the launch party for natty

  • <AlanBell> yup, that happened

    <AlanBell> the more formal thing at the BCS didn't, I had to cancel that

    <Biglesp> how come?

    <AlanBell> canonical couldn't send a representative

    <Biglesp> thats a pity

    <barrydrake> That is not good

    <brobostigon> agreed.

    <AlanBell> I worked my way down the org chart asking people until it was getting silly

    <AlanBell> however, they are going to try to arrange it for the next release

    <brobostigon> AlanBell: couldnt someone from us, the community be representtive.

    <AlanBell> not really

    <brobostigon> ok,

    <brobostigon> hmm.

    <AlanBell> however the thing in the pub was fun

    <brobostigon> thats good. Smile :)

    <AlanBell> although some people struggled to find us

    <Biglesp> was that before or after the beer Wink ;)

    <brobostigon> interesting question.

    <AlanBell> they do have a rather fine selection of beers at the porterhouse

    <AlanBell> ok, the next topic should be the election process vote

    <brobostigon> AlanBell: this is the same place oggcamp will be held?

    <AlanBell> think I am going to defer that to the next meeting as I am not sure where the page is we are voting on and this meeting wasn't announced in advance enough

    <AlanBell> brobostigon: nope, the porterhouse is a pub in central london

    <AlanBell> oggcamp will be in the maltings in Farnham

    <brobostigon> AlanBell: oh, it must be a similer name then.

    <AlanBell> (where they have an annual beer festival)

    <brobostigon> yes, they are similer

    <brobostigon> ok,sorry.

    <AlanBell> hmm, no daubers

    <AlanBell> [TOPIC] Daubers - British Library Sci-Fi Exhibition

Daubers - British Library Sci-Fi Exhibition

  • <AlanBell> daubers isn't online right now it seems

    <AlanBell> however take a look at http://www.bl.uk/whatson/exhibitions/outofthisworld/outofthisworld.html

    <AlanBell> what do you think about that as an activity?

    <AlanBell> a meetup at the british library including or followed by a geeknic of some kind

    <AlanBell> and cake

    <barrydrake> I like it

    <Biglesp> sounds good

    <Biglesp> any potental dates?

    <brobostigon> interesing idea.

    <AlanBell> I don't think any dates have been proposed yet

  • <AlanBell> http://pad.ubuntu-uk.org/2011plan

    <Biglesp> okey dokey, I'll keep an eye out

    <brobostigon> yes.

    <barrydrake> Can we have a votey thing?

    <AlanBell> yes, we can have a votey thing

    <AlanBell> but we have to narrow it down to a reasonable selection of options first

  • <AlanBell> http://www.bl.uk/whatson/planyourvisit/openinghours/index.html

    <AlanBell> so looks like saturdays and sundays would be good options

    <AlanBell> or possibly a tuesday evening

    <Biglesp> definitely weekends, and if we can get dates soon enough it won't cost me an arm and a leg to come

    <brobostigon> i dont think i could attend either, unless finances improve, so count me out, of the decision making,

    <AlanBell> the library and exhibition are free, but travel costs can indeed be a pain

    <Biglesp> yeah, I'm up in Blackpool, so its about £60 return

    <brobostigon> farnham is around £12 eachway, that is alot for me, for oggcamp.

    <barrydrake> I'mm up for that, but have very few unbooked weekends in July/August

    <brobostigon> right now, anyway.

    <AlanBell> ok, so I will have a chat with daubers (as he suggested it) and get some dates together to put to the list on a doodle poll

    <brobostigon> ok.

    <barrydrake> good

    <AlanBell> [action] AlanBell & daubers to sort out doodle poll for British Library SciFi exhibition

AlanBell & daubers to sort out doodle poll for British Library SciFi exhibition

  • <AlanBell> [TOPIC] Any Other Business

Any Other Business

  • <AlanBell> does anyone have other things they want to raise at this time?

    <Biglesp> If I may

    <AlanBell> go ahead

    <brobostigon> yes, my someones idea, of me doing a preentation at oggcamp because of myhydraulic car project, using arduino and other.

    <Biglesp> I took an action at the last meeting to pull together a lessons learnt document, based on my experience of organising ucubed

    <Biglesp> I have pulled together the following http://dl.dropbox.com/u/448790/Lessons%20learnt%20from%20UCubed.pdf

    <AlanBell> excellent

  • brobostigon shuts up.

    <Biglesp> and this is still in draft form, I will refine the document and include it in a full guide soon

    <Biglesp> I will also be working with the venue to produce a template for other events to use, to ensure that they achieve the most from their day

    <AlanBell> that looks great at first glance, will read in full later

    <Biglesp> hopefully the template will be transferrable for other events / venues

    <Biglesp> AlanBell: Thanks

    <Biglesp> All done!

    <barrydrake> Just curious as to reactions to Natty so far

    <AlanBell> great

    <AlanBell> brobostigon: do you need any help with that talk?

    <brobostigon> AlanBell: yes, not done anything like it before,

    <AlanBell> ok, lets discuss that a bit more after the meeting

    <brobostigon> ok.

    <brobostigon> thank you.

    <AlanBell> barrydrake: natty seems to be going down OK in the media I think

    <barrydrake> Great!

    <AlanBell> I think the next release will be a lot more "finished"

  • brobostigon is gnome-shell man though, than a unity one.

    <AlanBell> and that means the important LTS at 12.04 will be great

    <barrydrake> Indeed

    <brobostigon> yes.

    <brobostigon> remembering the year + worth of work prior.

    <AlanBell> couple of other things to raise, this week is Ubuntu Open Week

    <AlanBell> which is a series of online presentations aimed at users of Ubuntu

    <zleap> ah

    <brobostigon> mark's questions yesterday.

    <AlanBell> loads of really great information in them

    <zleap> when does that start or did it start

    <barrydrake> I WAS a gnome desktop person until I persevered long enough to appreciate the power of Unity

    <popey> sorry

    <AlanBell> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek

    <AlanBell> logs and schedule for the rest of the week are there

    <AlanBell> hi popey

    <zleap> ah

    <brobostigon> evening popey

    <barrydrake> Hi popey

    <AlanBell> zleap: you have 2/5th of it remaining

    <popey> sorry, forgot Sad :(

    <brobostigon> brb, sorry.

    <zleap> np

    <zleap> it would be good if there was a way to notify users of such events, via the ubuntu notification thing

    <AlanBell> and the next thing to raise is the Ubuntu Developer Summit which is next week

  • <AlanBell> http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-o/

    <AlanBell> zleap: http://ubuntu-news.org/calendars/fridge/

    <zleap> thanks

    <AlanBell> so the developer summit is a week packed with sessions discussing different topics

    <AlanBell> generally about things people might be working on for the next development cycle

    <brobostigon> we do have our google calendar thingie dont we, zleap

    <zleap> me, er nope

    <AlanBell> decisions get taken there, and then get implemented and turn up on the CD six months later

    <brobostigon> ical*

    <zleap> i still use a paper organiser

    <brobostigon> AlanBell: i have some idea, on the gnome3 blueprint.

    <AlanBell> the schedule is huge, and you can attend stuff remotely

    <AlanBell> there are IRC channels for each room, a live audio feed

    <brobostigon> Smile :) yes.

    <AlanBell> and collaborative notes via etherpad (I made that bit \o/)

    <brobostigon> here is a thought, uds session contribution help via mumble,

    <AlanBell> so do have a look through the schedule and drop in on some sessions

    <zleap> will have to look in to it, just signed up for another open uni course, that should keep me busy over summer

    <AlanBell> audio is one way using icecast

    <AlanBell> ok, anything else to mention?

    <brobostigon> i have all the sessions layed out in my google calendar,

    <candt> Apologies I do not have time just now to attend usefully

    <candt> alan cocks

    <AlanBell> hi candt

    <brobostigon> evening candt

    <AlanBell> [TOPIC] Date of next meeting

Date of next meeting

  • <candt> Hi Alan, a bit over busy with a couple of PCs from a friend from france and doing soem maintenance, so cannot attnd, apols.

    <AlanBell> that is OK

    <AlanBell> so next meeting, 3 weeks or so?

    <brobostigon> no worries.

    <Biglesp> yeah

    <AlanBell> Thursday again?

    <brobostigon> AlanBell: sounds ok here,

    <AlanBell> 26th may

    <Biglesp> yeah

    <barrydrake> I'm out of the country, but if I can get a good signal, I'll be there

    <AlanBell> popey to chair?

    <popey> uh, yes

    <AlanBell> Smile :)

    <popey> feel free to phone/text me next time

    <popey> you have my number

    <AlanBell> [agreed] next meeting Thursday 26th 9PM popey to chair

next meeting Thursday 26th 9PM popey to chair

  • <AlanBell> #endmeeting


Meeting closed at 20:53

People Present

  • zleap
  • AlanBell

  • barrydrake
  • Biglesp
  • brobostigon
  • popey
  • candt

Actions Recorded

  • AlanBell & daubers to sort out doodle poll for British Library SciFi exhibition

UKTeam/MeetingNotes/20110505 (last edited 2011-05-05 21:00:32 by alanbell)