20110628

Meeting opened by AlanBell at 19:03

  • <brobostigon> MooDoo: hey,

    <brobostigon> o/

    <AlanBell> [TOPIC] review of action items from last meeting

review of action items from last meeting

  • <StevenR> o/

    <brunogirin> o/

    <MooDoo> o/

    <brobostigon> lol

    <AlanBell> do have a look and add stuff to the report whilst I go hunt for actions in the last minutes https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/TeamReports/11/June

    <MooDoo> wow pretty bare

    <AlanBell> [Progress report] popey to provide sample awesome reapproval page

popey to provide sample awesome reapproval page

  • <AlanBell> well some folk attended the last LoCo council meeting

    <AlanBell> there are some awesome reapproval pages, I think it is going to be a tough process, but more on that later

    <MichealH> Im here :P

    <MichealH> I forgot that the meeting was at 8 :P

    <MooDoo> is popey recording this weeks podcast?

    <AlanBell> no matter MichealH Smile :)

    <brunogirin> AlanBell: do you have examples of some pages that you think are really good?

    <AlanBell> popey is indeed off podcasting

    <MooDoo> !

    <MichealH> AlanBell: Sorry for arroving late, But I would have remembered If I was thinking today :P

    <MooDoo> brobostigon, have a look at this page! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncilAgenda

    <MooDoo> venuzuela for example

    <brobostigon> MooDoo: onemoment,

    <MooDoo> sorry

    <brobostigon> ok, i have it,

    <MooDoo> apologies for butting in

    <AlanBell> the other action was for me to arrange a workshop, which I kind of did for today, and did a little on it but not very collaboratively

    <AlanBell> ok, so before we go back to reapprovals . . .

    <AlanBell> [TOPIC] AlanBell - CD Distribution

AlanBell - CD Distribution

  • <brobostigon> MooDoo: sorry, i was distscted aswell, mymum is asking me question.s

    <AlanBell> so I have a lot of CDs

    <AlanBell> lots and lots

    <AlanBell> I want them distributed to useful places

    <brobostigon> yes, definatly.

    <AlanBell> trade shows are not what they used to be, there are not linux shows out there

    <MooDoo> !

    <MooDoo> we have a lot of hackerspaces in nottingham, i'd like some for there

    <AlanBell> really, cool

    <AlanBell> I tried contacting a bunch of university computing societies, but they either don't exist or don't reply

    <brobostigon> Sad :(

    <AlanBell> I am totally out of the loop in terms of universities in this country

    <brobostigon> i dont know anything either.

    <AlanBell> if people want CDs I am more than happy to arrange to meet in London and hand over a big box, or try and figure out some other distribution method

    <AlanBell> MooDoo: how can I get them to you?

    <MooDoo> AlanBell, if you have paypal i could make payment to get some shipped up here to notts

    <AlanBell> yup, can do

    <brobostigon> AlanBell: maybe something better planned, so we cansee, where cd's are being used directly.

    <MooDoo> ie pay you for the postage

    <MooDoo> brobostigon, perhaps a page that shows where they go

    <AlanBell> brobostigon: I did encourage people to put events and CD requirements on http://pad.ubuntu-uk.org/2011plan

    <brobostigon> MooDoo: yes, something like that.

    <brobostigon> AlanBell: ok, let melook, good idea.

    <AlanBell> I wonder if there is a london hackerspace

    <AlanBell> or a linux user group that wants them

    <barrydrake> My IRC client just froze. Had to re-boot

    <AlanBell> I will give a bunch to paula at Fossbox, Alan Cox wants some in Bracknel, Bea wants some for a course up north somewhere

    <AlanBell> museum of computing at Swindon is a possibility for some, that is Diana

    <brunogirin> AlanBell: this ones the first one that comes up on Google, in Shoreditch: http://london.hackspace.org.uk/

    <MooDoo> we have this - http://www.antenna.uk.com/

    <brobostigon> i am not familier any around here, near me.

    <AlanBell> nice

    <MooDoo> and lacemarket house - http://www.nostringsattached.biz/index.php

    <AlanBell> ok, well I want them gone, the Irish Loco got rid of theirs before ours even arrived!

    <MooDoo> lots of office sharing and hacker space Smile :)

    <MooDoo> i'm trying to plan a few ubuntu hours, i should be able to get rid of them there

    <AlanBell> I will take a box to London tomorrow and see if I can find that hackerspace

    <AlanBell> I would love to do installfests in Universities

    <AlanBell> get students in a room and actually get things done and installed

    <AlanBell> however I have no idea how to make that happen

    <brobostigon> interesting idea.

    <MooDoo> big stick and beer....

    <brobostigon> lol

    <brobostigon> Smile :)

    <MooDoo> every machine you convert to ubuntu take a drink Smile :)

    <MooDoo> everyone that works take 2

    <barrydrake> Ont the list earlier, someone was suggesting that Canonical might be the ones to make 'first contact' Hows about?

    <daubers> Fix a bug, take 3

    <MooDoo> barrydrake, wouldn't it be better for someone in the specific area to contact first?

    <MooDoo> then if we need the big guns speak to canonical?

    <MooDoo> thoughts?

    <barrydrake> No. If they don't know you, they don't want to know. Alumni might get a look in?

    <AlanBell> Canonical can sell stuff to university chancellors if they want, I don't care about that

    <barrydrake> I'm talking introductions to the IT bod

    <AlanBell> getting a bunch of students enthused about ubuntu isn't a commercial proposition

    <brobostigon> AlanBell: only intellectual.

    <MooDoo> Beer and 'buntu sounds good to me Smile :)

    <barrydrake> Getting Ubuntu out there is - in the long term

    <brobostigon> MooDoo: Smile :)

    <barrydrake> AlanBell - Canonical do 'pro-bono' - look at the support they gave to PC mag

    <AlanBell> no, they do rescuing a PR disaster

    <MooDoo> surely that was nothing but PR?

    <AlanBell> they sent jpds out for a morning to fix stuff

    <barrydrake> AlanBell - you're a cynic!

    <AlanBell> and right Smile :)

  • MooDoo is too i think Smile :)

    <AlanBell> the community needs to do different stuff, sometimes in collaboration with Canonical

    <AlanBell> like we did for the ubuntu in business event

  • brobostigon likes the beer idea, and dissappears for a moment,

    <AlanBell> anyhow we should probably move on from CD distribution to the reapproval

    <brobostigon> yes, what needs to happen, there alan.?

    <AlanBell> [TOPIC] AlanBell - Reapproval Application

AlanBell - Reapproval Application

  • <AlanBell> I need to find the tab with the agenda, thats what!

    <AlanBell> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/ReApprovalApplication2011

    <AlanBell> and the application

    <AlanBell> so we have to make that awesome

    <AlanBell> really awesome

  • brobostigon reads.

    <AlanBell> we need to include all the stuff we have done for the last few years

    <AlanBell> we need links to articles in the press and blogosphere about what we have been up to

    <MooDoo> are we going to just add everything we find to the pad and then write it up properly later?

    <brobostigon> ok, let me seewhat i can drag up, i star everything in google reader.

    <BigRedS> can we take the credit for canonical's release dos?

    <AlanBell> MooDoo: yes

    <brunogirin> do we have an etherpad for this?

    <AlanBell> BigRedS: not much of it

    <brobostigon> ok, i will lookthrough my rss,

    <AlanBell> BigRedS: that is a really interesting point you raise, and it has been raised before

    <BigRedS> surely they're all members of u-uk? Smile :)

    <MooDoo> BigRedS, it wouldn't surprise me if lots of them have never heard of us Wink ;)

    <AlanBell> well yeah, loads of LoCo team members from the community and Canonical go to them

    <AlanBell> for the last 4 or so I have been coordinating with Canonical about them (to varying degrees of success)

    <AlanBell> in terms of selecting a venue, attempting to do a press launch

    <brunogirin> then at least the things about the press launch and stuff should be included

    <BigRedS> ah yeah, there was plans for a business-friendly one this year

    <AlanBell> and loads of canonical folk do contribute to the LoCo

    <AlanBell> it seems odd to discount their contributions on the basis that they work for Canonical vs any other company

  • brobostigon doesnt know,how he can be of use, inall this.

    <brunogirin> the podcast doesn't have a link, maybe it should?

    <AlanBell> it should, we need lots of links and especially pictures

    <MooDoo> brobostigon, trawling through mails, planets, blog posts looking for ubuntu -uk events and things we've done over the years.

    <brunogirin> some of us have participated in canonical surveys, does it count?

    <AlanBell> not sure about that

    <brunogirin> we manned the stand at the cloudexpo in Barbican

    <MooDoo> that's one for the list then Big Grin :)

    <brobostigon> MooDoo: thats one thing i am good at, keeping record of those kinds of things, somehow.

    <MooDoo> brobostigon, there you go when the pad us up, add away Smile :)

    <brobostigon> MooDoo: ok, Smile :)

    <MooDoo> i'm not sure if there is a generic application template though

    <AlanBell> brunogirin: yeah, that is on the list for sure

  • <AlanBell> http://pad.ubuntu-uk.org/reapproval

    <brunogirin> a quick way to add stuff would be to go through all monthly pages and select the interesting stuff

    <AlanBell> yes, the team reports have useful information on them

    <MooDoo> perhaps i could point people to this? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncil/TeamApprovalGuidelines

    <barrydrake> I'm not volunteering - but someone could trawl through the list archive

    <AlanBell> you could indeed

    <AlanBell> there is the en_GB translation activity

    <AlanBell> and the welsh team

    <MooDoo> let's steal all the ideas from laura's ubuntu ie applcation page, she won' mind Wink ;)

    <brobostigon> AlanBell: i would get hold of chris, abour welshteam, i havent been keeping up, recently.

    <MooDoo> perhaps we could just set a date of reviewing the pad page to see what we've got and what we need?

    <MooDoo> month from today maybe?

    <brobostigon> is there a due date, it all needs tobe done by ?

    <AlanBell> next LoCo council meeting is 19th July which is our first opportunity to go for it

    <AlanBell> has to be done this cycle

    <brobostigon> ok,

    <brobostigon> not too long then.

    <MooDoo> wow that's like 21 ish days.....

    <AlanBell> yeah

    <MooDoo> best get cracking..

    <MooDoo> i was in the last approval meeting and really felt for the team that was declined renewal

    <MooDoo> so don't want that to happen Big Grin :)

    <brobostigon> ok, let me see, i have bookmarked the pad.

    <AlanBell> MooDoo: yeah, it is a distinct possibility

    <AlanBell> czajkowski won't vote for us, don't know if popey will

    <AlanBell> so even getting quorum for us is going to be a challenge, much less approval!

    <MooDoo> AlanBell, i would of thought laura would as she's more known for ubuntu ie

    <AlanBell> no

    <MooDoo> popey is a bit bias so he'd have to abstain

    <MooDoo> no?

    <AlanBell> dunno, haven't asked him, but anyhow, we don't need to analyse the voting intentions of the panel, we need to do an awesome application

    <brobostigon> yes.

    <barrydrake> I hate politics

    <AlanBell> quorum was my point

    <brunogirin> indeed so everybody needs to find something to add to the pad

    <AlanBell> if they can't get enough voters in the meeting it might end up being voted on using the mailing list

    <barrydrake> Who represents us at the meeting?

    <AlanBell> me and everyone

    <AlanBell> I am the point of contact so I have to be there

    <AlanBell> but everyone else can come and support

    <barrydrake> I'm in Ireland and connection is via phone dongle and very dodgy. Will come if able.

    <AlanBell> I am also going to do a bunch of stats on the ubuntu-uk launchpad team

    <AlanBell> it is one of the biggest teams in the world

    <brobostigon> nice, Smile :)

    <MooDoo> Smile :)

    <AlanBell> irc and mailing list stats too

    <brobostigon> both, get alot of activity.

    <BigRedS> we're pretty big on freenode aren't we?

    <AlanBell> we tend not to use the ubuntu forums specifically to the -uk, but I guess a lot of forums users are from the UK

    <AlanBell> fairly big, yeah

    <brobostigon> i dont know, the forums, always seemed alttle weird,

    <AlanBell> we have 3 users more than #london-hack-space so not vast

    <AlanBell> there is a UK LoCo forum, but it doesn't really get used

    <AlanBell> some other teams are all about the forum, especially where they have a language to identify with

    <AlanBell> we get lost in the Americans Smile :)

    <brunogirin> and the ozzies and kiwis, etc

    <AlanBell> yeah, I just know -nl and -fr use the forums a lot

    <AlanBell> ok, lets carry on with the reapproval discussion later and in the #ubuntu-uk channel

    <AlanBell> [topic] books and butties

books and butties

  • <brobostigon> ok, i havent been keeping on the ml thread about this,what it it about ?

    <MooDoo> meetup at the library for a trip and have a geeknic after i think

    <barrydrake> Sorry guys. Gotta go. Probably not able to connect next meeting. Will try to be there the one after.

    <MooDoo> o/ barrydrake

http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/1032/detail/ is the event on the LoCo directory thing

  • <AlanBell> http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/1032/detail/ is the event on the LoCo directory thing

    <AlanBell> feel free to share the facebook thing even if not going

    <AlanBell> I am sure facebook would be useful if I knew what I was doing with it

    <brobostigon> there maybe cake, Smile :)

    <AlanBell> there are groups and pages and I don't really understand the difference or whether we should have one

    <AlanBell> there is an Ubuntu group with 200 members

    <brobostigon> no idea,either.

    <MooDoo> i think it's a good idea, just for the amount of people that use facebook

    <MooDoo> more exposure

    <AlanBell> there is an Ubuntu page with 400,000 fans

    <daubers> There will be cake

    <AlanBell> every time I did something with facebook before it wanted me to buy adverts to promote stuff

    <MooDoo> you don't need to do tht to create a page.....but you need 25 likes before you get a vanity url

    <AlanBell> should we do a page then?

    <MooDoo> +1 from me, it's not going to hurt and can be removed at a later date if not working.

    <AlanBell> I only know a few people on facebook

    <MooDoo> the problem is people need to remember to update it Smile :)

    <popey> yet another thing to update

    <popey> but its a good way to get events out there

    <MooDoo> oh hi popey Smile :)

    <popey> uupc has a page

    <popey> we just feed it the rss feed from the show

  • AlanBell didn't know that

  • <popey> http://www.facebook.com/UbuntuUKPodcast

    <MooDoo> rats beat me to it

    <popey> it doesnt update very regularly

    <popey> i guess it might if we put shows out more regularly

    <popey> we have 600 people who 'like' that page

    <brobostigon> Smile :)

    <AlanBell> can't see a like button, maybe I already like it

    <brunogirin> nor can I...

    <popey> is there an "unlike" link

    <popey> on the left

    <popey> i am an admin so see different stuff

    <AlanBell> found it

    <AlanBell> yes, there is

    <popey> so you already like it

    <AlanBell> yes

    <AlanBell> don't like facebook though Smile :)

    <MooDoo> so are we having one? lol

    <AlanBell> so how should I have seen all the stuff on that page?

    <AlanBell> something got posted 2 hours ago

    <AlanBell> how do you see that without going and checking the page?

    <BigRedS> it should appear on your facebook feed thing

    <BigRedS> what you see when you're just at facebook.com

    <AlanBell> this is going a bit off topic granted

    <BigRedS> ah yeah. what is on-topic currently?

    <BigRedS> the prospect of a ubuntu-uk facebook page?

    <MooDoo> yes

    <MooDoo> Smile :)

    <AlanBell> the british library event and promoting it and other stuff like it on Facebook

    <BigRedS> aha! It should also go on the webpage Smile :)

    <AlanBell> ah, there is a link at the top for recent news, which is different to top news

    <BigRedS> I've heard that facebook pages can be updated by rss

    <BigRedS> only by being asked how to do it, though, so it might not be possible...

    <AlanBell> yes21:07 < popey> uupc has a page

    <AlanBell> 21:07 < popey> we just feed it the rss feed from the show

    <popey> can also post other stuff

    <popey> and discuss

    <AlanBell> so yes, I think it is probably worth setting up such a page and feeding it the rss from the website, and updating the website

    <popey> and add events

    <popey> you can have multiple admins too

    <AlanBell> and it will be there for people who notice stuff on facebook that isn't top news

    <BigRedS> ah yeah

    <MooDoo> and a single point to refer back to when we have to do next time next times re-approval Big Grin :)

    <popey> it will become top news if people click like

    <popey> uh no MooDoo Big Grin :)

    <MooDoo> lol

    <popey> the loco council doesnt look at facebook stuff

    <popey> we want single point to be the wiki please

    <brunogirin> and the other advantage is that those who notice can then send stuff to friends and promote the group further

    <MooDoo> i was more thinking about it being reference

    <AlanBell> [action] AlanBell to set up a facebook page

AlanBell to set up a facebook page

  • <brunogirin> and link it to the web site's RSS

    <AlanBell> yeah that too

    <MooDoo> https://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php

    <AlanBell> ok, any other stuff to discuss?

  • MooDoo shakes head

  • brobostigon shakes head, with a maybe.

    <brunogirin> yes: I may go to the desktop summit in Berlin in August: is anybody going?

    <MooDoo> apologies all i have to leave, pregnant wife is a callin......i'll catch up with the logs Smile :)

    <brobostigon> bye MooDoo o/

    <BigRedS> I think we're mostly at the end anyway Smile :)

    <MooDoo> ok Smile :)

    <brobostigon> MooDoo: give her our greetings.

    <MooDoo> will do brobostigon Smile :)

    <brobostigon> Smile :)

    <AlanBell> brunogirin: cool, what is that?

    <AlanBell> I am off to berlin in a week or two I think for an ODF plugfest

    <brunogirin> that's the combined GUADEC + KDE meeting: http://trac.yorba.org/ticket/3203

    <AlanBell> nice

    <AlanBell> ok, next meeting

    <AlanBell> lets do one a bit sooner and focus on the reapproval stuff

    <brunogirin> sorry, wrong URL: https://desktopsummit.org/

    <brobostigon> we should move fairlyquicker, concerning reapproval.

    <BigRedS> brunogirin: I was beginning to wonder Smile :)

    <brunogirin> BigRedS: copy/paste error Smile :-)

    <AlanBell> 6th July?

    <AlanBell> wednesday

    <brobostigon> looks fine here.

    <BigRedS> sounds good

    <BigRedS> I'll have no real idea until the day itself, though Smile :)

    <AlanBell> 8PM?

    <AlanBell> later?

    <AlanBell> earlier?

    <brobostigon> same, is ok, here.

    <AlanBell> ok 8 it is then

    <BigRedS> either works for me. I was surprised by this one being not at 9, though

    <AlanBell> yeah, we thought we would try it earlier as some people found 9 rather late

    <BigRedS> yeah, I sort-of remembered that after seeing it was going on at 8

    <AlanBell> ok, we can pick a chair on the night, might be me as it is rather focussed on reapproval

    <AlanBell> #endmeeting


Meeting closed at 20:37

People Present

  • brobostigon
  • AlanBell

  • StevenR
  • brunogirin
  • MooDoo

  • MichealH
  • barrydrake
  • daubers
  • BigRedS
  • popey

Actions Recorded

UKTeam/MeetingNotes/20110628 (last edited 2011-06-28 22:10:40 by alanbell)