Meeting opened by AlanBell at 19:03
<brobostigon> MooDoo: hey,
<AlanBell> [TOPIC] review of action items from last meeting
review of action items from last meeting
<AlanBell> do have a look and add stuff to the report whilst I go hunt for actions in the last minutes https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/TeamReports/11/June
<MooDoo> wow pretty bare
<AlanBell> [Progress report] popey to provide sample awesome reapproval page
popey to provide sample awesome reapproval page
<AlanBell> well some folk attended the last LoCo council meeting
<AlanBell> there are some awesome reapproval pages, I think it is going to be a tough process, but more on that later
<MichealH> Im here :P
<MichealH> I forgot that the meeting was at 8 :P
<MooDoo> is popey recording this weeks podcast?
<AlanBell> no matter MichealH
<brunogirin> AlanBell: do you have examples of some pages that you think are really good?
<AlanBell> popey is indeed off podcasting
<MichealH> AlanBell: Sorry for arroving late, But I would have remembered If I was thinking today :P
<MooDoo> brobostigon, have a look at this page! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncilAgenda
<MooDoo> venuzuela for example
<brobostigon> MooDoo: onemoment,
<brobostigon> ok, i have it,
<MooDoo> apologies for butting in
<AlanBell> the other action was for me to arrange a workshop, which I kind of did for today, and did a little on it but not very collaboratively
<AlanBell> ok, so before we go back to reapprovals . . .
<AlanBell> [TOPIC] AlanBell - CD Distribution
AlanBell - CD Distribution
<brobostigon> MooDoo: sorry, i was distscted aswell, mymum is asking me question.s
<AlanBell> so I have a lot of CDs
<AlanBell> lots and lots
<AlanBell> I want them distributed to useful places
<brobostigon> yes, definatly.
<AlanBell> trade shows are not what they used to be, there are not linux shows out there
<MooDoo> we have a lot of hackerspaces in nottingham, i'd like some for there
<AlanBell> really, cool
<AlanBell> I tried contacting a bunch of university computing societies, but they either don't exist or don't reply
<AlanBell> I am totally out of the loop in terms of universities in this country
<brobostigon> i dont know anything either.
<AlanBell> if people want CDs I am more than happy to arrange to meet in London and hand over a big box, or try and figure out some other distribution method
<AlanBell> MooDoo: how can I get them to you?
<MooDoo> AlanBell, if you have paypal i could make payment to get some shipped up here to notts
<AlanBell> yup, can do
<brobostigon> AlanBell: maybe something better planned, so we cansee, where cd's are being used directly.
<MooDoo> ie pay you for the postage
<MooDoo> brobostigon, perhaps a page that shows where they go
<AlanBell> brobostigon: I did encourage people to put events and CD requirements on http://pad.ubuntu-uk.org/2011plan
<brobostigon> MooDoo: yes, something like that.
<brobostigon> AlanBell: ok, let melook, good idea.
<AlanBell> I wonder if there is a london hackerspace
<AlanBell> or a linux user group that wants them
<barrydrake> My IRC client just froze. Had to re-boot
<AlanBell> I will give a bunch to paula at Fossbox, Alan Cox wants some in Bracknel, Bea wants some for a course up north somewhere
<AlanBell> museum of computing at Swindon is a possibility for some, that is Diana
<MooDoo> we have this - http://www.antenna.uk.com/
<brobostigon> i am not familier any around here, near me.
<MooDoo> and lacemarket house - http://www.nostringsattached.biz/index.php
<AlanBell> ok, well I want them gone, the Irish Loco got rid of theirs before ours even arrived!
<MooDoo> lots of office sharing and hacker space
<MooDoo> i'm trying to plan a few ubuntu hours, i should be able to get rid of them there
<AlanBell> I will take a box to London tomorrow and see if I can find that hackerspace
<AlanBell> I would love to do installfests in Universities
<AlanBell> get students in a room and actually get things done and installed
<AlanBell> however I have no idea how to make that happen
<brobostigon> interesting idea.
<MooDoo> big stick and beer....
<MooDoo> every machine you convert to ubuntu take a drink
<MooDoo> everyone that works take 2
<barrydrake> Ont the list earlier, someone was suggesting that Canonical might be the ones to make 'first contact' Hows about?
<daubers> Fix a bug, take 3
<MooDoo> barrydrake, wouldn't it be better for someone in the specific area to contact first?
<MooDoo> then if we need the big guns speak to canonical?
<barrydrake> No. If they don't know you, they don't want to know. Alumni might get a look in?
<AlanBell> Canonical can sell stuff to university chancellors if they want, I don't care about that
<barrydrake> I'm talking introductions to the IT bod
<AlanBell> getting a bunch of students enthused about ubuntu isn't a commercial proposition
<brobostigon> AlanBell: only intellectual.
<MooDoo> Beer and 'buntu sounds good to me
<barrydrake> Getting Ubuntu out there is - in the long term
<barrydrake> AlanBell - Canonical do 'pro-bono' - look at the support they gave to PC mag
<AlanBell> no, they do rescuing a PR disaster
<MooDoo> surely that was nothing but PR?
<AlanBell> they sent jpds out for a morning to fix stuff
<barrydrake> AlanBell - you're a cynic!
<AlanBell> and right
MooDoo is too i think
<AlanBell> the community needs to do different stuff, sometimes in collaboration with Canonical
<AlanBell> like we did for the ubuntu in business event
brobostigon likes the beer idea, and dissappears for a moment,
<AlanBell> anyhow we should probably move on from CD distribution to the reapproval
<brobostigon> yes, what needs to happen, there alan.?
<AlanBell> [TOPIC] AlanBell - Reapproval Application
AlanBell - Reapproval Application
<AlanBell> I need to find the tab with the agenda, thats what!
<AlanBell> and the application
<AlanBell> so we have to make that awesome
<AlanBell> really awesome
<AlanBell> we need to include all the stuff we have done for the last few years
<AlanBell> we need links to articles in the press and blogosphere about what we have been up to
<MooDoo> are we going to just add everything we find to the pad and then write it up properly later?
<brobostigon> ok, let me seewhat i can drag up, i star everything in google reader.
<BigRedS> can we take the credit for canonical's release dos?
<AlanBell> MooDoo: yes
<brunogirin> do we have an etherpad for this?
<AlanBell> BigRedS: not much of it
<brobostigon> ok, i will lookthrough my rss,
<AlanBell> BigRedS: that is a really interesting point you raise, and it has been raised before
<BigRedS> surely they're all members of u-uk?
<MooDoo> BigRedS, it wouldn't surprise me if lots of them have never heard of us
<AlanBell> well yeah, loads of LoCo team members from the community and Canonical go to them
<AlanBell> for the last 4 or so I have been coordinating with Canonical about them (to varying degrees of success)
<AlanBell> in terms of selecting a venue, attempting to do a press launch
<brunogirin> then at least the things about the press launch and stuff should be included
<BigRedS> ah yeah, there was plans for a business-friendly one this year
<AlanBell> and loads of canonical folk do contribute to the LoCo
<AlanBell> it seems odd to discount their contributions on the basis that they work for Canonical vs any other company
brobostigon doesnt know,how he can be of use, inall this.
<brunogirin> the podcast doesn't have a link, maybe it should?
<AlanBell> it should, we need lots of links and especially pictures
<MooDoo> brobostigon, trawling through mails, planets, blog posts looking for ubuntu -uk events and things we've done over the years.
<brunogirin> some of us have participated in canonical surveys, does it count?
<AlanBell> not sure about that
<brunogirin> we manned the stand at the cloudexpo in Barbican
<MooDoo> that's one for the list then
<brobostigon> MooDoo: thats one thing i am good at, keeping record of those kinds of things, somehow.
<MooDoo> brobostigon, there you go when the pad us up, add away
<brobostigon> MooDoo: ok,
<MooDoo> i'm not sure if there is a generic application template though
<AlanBell> brunogirin: yeah, that is on the list for sure
<brunogirin> a quick way to add stuff would be to go through all monthly pages and select the interesting stuff
<AlanBell> yes, the team reports have useful information on them
<MooDoo> perhaps i could point people to this? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncil/TeamApprovalGuidelines
<barrydrake> I'm not volunteering - but someone could trawl through the list archive
<AlanBell> you could indeed
<AlanBell> there is the en_GB translation activity
<AlanBell> and the welsh team
<MooDoo> let's steal all the ideas from laura's ubuntu ie applcation page, she won' mind
<brobostigon> AlanBell: i would get hold of chris, abour welshteam, i havent been keeping up, recently.
<MooDoo> perhaps we could just set a date of reviewing the pad page to see what we've got and what we need?
<MooDoo> month from today maybe?
<brobostigon> is there a due date, it all needs tobe done by ?
<AlanBell> next LoCo council meeting is 19th July which is our first opportunity to go for it
<AlanBell> has to be done this cycle
<brobostigon> not too long then.
<MooDoo> wow that's like 21 ish days.....
<MooDoo> best get cracking..
<MooDoo> i was in the last approval meeting and really felt for the team that was declined renewal
<MooDoo> so don't want that to happen
<brobostigon> ok, let me see, i have bookmarked the pad.
<AlanBell> MooDoo: yeah, it is a distinct possibility
<AlanBell> czajkowski won't vote for us, don't know if popey will
<AlanBell> so even getting quorum for us is going to be a challenge, much less approval!
<MooDoo> AlanBell, i would of thought laura would as she's more known for ubuntu ie
<MooDoo> popey is a bit bias so he'd have to abstain
<AlanBell> dunno, haven't asked him, but anyhow, we don't need to analyse the voting intentions of the panel, we need to do an awesome application
<barrydrake> I hate politics
<AlanBell> quorum was my point
<brunogirin> indeed so everybody needs to find something to add to the pad
<AlanBell> if they can't get enough voters in the meeting it might end up being voted on using the mailing list
<barrydrake> Who represents us at the meeting?
<AlanBell> me and everyone
<AlanBell> I am the point of contact so I have to be there
<AlanBell> but everyone else can come and support
<barrydrake> I'm in Ireland and connection is via phone dongle and very dodgy. Will come if able.
<AlanBell> I am also going to do a bunch of stats on the ubuntu-uk launchpad team
<AlanBell> it is one of the biggest teams in the world
<AlanBell> irc and mailing list stats too
<brobostigon> both, get alot of activity.
<BigRedS> we're pretty big on freenode aren't we?
<AlanBell> we tend not to use the ubuntu forums specifically to the -uk, but I guess a lot of forums users are from the UK
<AlanBell> fairly big, yeah
<brobostigon> i dont know, the forums, always seemed alttle weird,
<AlanBell> we have 3 users more than #london-hack-space so not vast
<AlanBell> there is a UK LoCo forum, but it doesn't really get used
<AlanBell> some other teams are all about the forum, especially where they have a language to identify with
<AlanBell> we get lost in the Americans
<brunogirin> and the ozzies and kiwis, etc
<AlanBell> yeah, I just know -nl and -fr use the forums a lot
<AlanBell> ok, lets carry on with the reapproval discussion later and in the #ubuntu-uk channel
<AlanBell> [topic] books and butties
books and butties
<brobostigon> ok, i havent been keeping on the ml thread about this,what it it about ?
<MooDoo> meetup at the library for a trip and have a geeknic after i think
<barrydrake> Sorry guys. Gotta go. Probably not able to connect next meeting. Will try to be there the one after.
<MooDoo> o/ barrydrake
<AlanBell> for the facebook folk it would be great if you could attend that and share it
<AlanBell> feel free to share the facebook thing even if not going
<AlanBell> I am sure facebook would be useful if I knew what I was doing with it
<brobostigon> there maybe cake,
<AlanBell> there are groups and pages and I don't really understand the difference or whether we should have one
<AlanBell> there is an Ubuntu group with 200 members
<brobostigon> no idea,either.
<MooDoo> i think it's a good idea, just for the amount of people that use facebook
<MooDoo> more exposure
<AlanBell> there is an Ubuntu page with 400,000 fans
<daubers> There will be cake
<AlanBell> every time I did something with facebook before it wanted me to buy adverts to promote stuff
<MooDoo> you don't need to do tht to create a page.....but you need 25 likes before you get a vanity url
<AlanBell> should we do a page then?
<MooDoo> +1 from me, it's not going to hurt and can be removed at a later date if not working.
<AlanBell> I only know a few people on facebook
<MooDoo> the problem is people need to remember to update it
<popey> yet another thing to update
<popey> but its a good way to get events out there
<MooDoo> oh hi popey
<popey> uupc has a page
<popey> we just feed it the rss feed from the show
AlanBell didn't know that
<MooDoo> rats beat me to it
<popey> it doesnt update very regularly
<popey> i guess it might if we put shows out more regularly
<popey> we have 600 people who 'like' that page
<AlanBell> can't see a like button, maybe I already like it
<brunogirin> nor can I...
<popey> is there an "unlike" link
<popey> on the left
<popey> i am an admin so see different stuff
<AlanBell> found it
<AlanBell> yes, there is
<popey> so you already like it
<AlanBell> don't like facebook though
<MooDoo> so are we having one? lol
<AlanBell> so how should I have seen all the stuff on that page?
<AlanBell> something got posted 2 hours ago
<AlanBell> how do you see that without going and checking the page?
<BigRedS> it should appear on your facebook feed thing
<BigRedS> what you see when you're just at facebook.com
<AlanBell> this is going a bit off topic granted
<BigRedS> ah yeah. what is on-topic currently?
<BigRedS> the prospect of a ubuntu-uk facebook page?
<AlanBell> the british library event and promoting it and other stuff like it on Facebook
<BigRedS> aha! It should also go on the webpage
<AlanBell> ah, there is a link at the top for recent news, which is different to top news
<BigRedS> I've heard that facebook pages can be updated by rss
<BigRedS> only by being asked how to do it, though, so it might not be possible...
<AlanBell> yes21:07 < popey> uupc has a page
<AlanBell> 21:07 < popey> we just feed it the rss feed from the show
<popey> can also post other stuff
<popey> and discuss
<AlanBell> so yes, I think it is probably worth setting up such a page and feeding it the rss from the website, and updating the website
<popey> and add events
<popey> you can have multiple admins too
<AlanBell> and it will be there for people who notice stuff on facebook that isn't top news
<BigRedS> ah yeah
<MooDoo> and a single point to refer back to when we have to do next time next times re-approval
<popey> it will become top news if people click like
<popey> uh no MooDoo
<popey> the loco council doesnt look at facebook stuff
<popey> we want single point to be the wiki please
<brunogirin> and the other advantage is that those who notice can then send stuff to friends and promote the group further
<MooDoo> i was more thinking about it being reference
<AlanBell> [action] AlanBell to set up a facebook page
AlanBell to set up a facebook page
<brunogirin> and link it to the web site's RSS
<AlanBell> yeah that too
<AlanBell> ok, any other stuff to discuss?
MooDoo shakes head
brobostigon shakes head, with a maybe.
<brunogirin> yes: I may go to the desktop summit in Berlin in August: is anybody going?
<MooDoo> apologies all i have to leave, pregnant wife is a callin......i'll catch up with the logs
<brobostigon> bye MooDoo o/
<BigRedS> I think we're mostly at the end anyway
<brobostigon> MooDoo: give her our greetings.
<MooDoo> will do brobostigon
<AlanBell> brunogirin: cool, what is that?
<AlanBell> I am off to berlin in a week or two I think for an ODF plugfest
<brunogirin> that's the combined GUADEC + KDE meeting: http://trac.yorba.org/ticket/3203
<AlanBell> ok, next meeting
<AlanBell> lets do one a bit sooner and focus on the reapproval stuff
<brunogirin> sorry, wrong URL: https://desktopsummit.org/
<brobostigon> we should move fairlyquicker, concerning reapproval.
<BigRedS> brunogirin: I was beginning to wonder
<brunogirin> BigRedS: copy/paste error
<AlanBell> 6th July?
<brobostigon> looks fine here.
<BigRedS> sounds good
<BigRedS> I'll have no real idea until the day itself, though
<brobostigon> same, is ok, here.
<AlanBell> ok 8 it is then
<BigRedS> either works for me. I was surprised by this one being not at 9, though
<AlanBell> yeah, we thought we would try it earlier as some people found 9 rather late
<BigRedS> yeah, I sort-of remembered that after seeing it was going on at 8
<AlanBell> ok, we can pick a chair on the night, might be me as it is rather focussed on reapproval
Meeting closed at 20:37
AlanBell to set up a facebook page