The definition of the brand guidelines for Ubuntu is an evolving process and encompasses a wide variety of audiences - from consumers to the enterprise.
The following is a summary of the Canonical branding materials that are focused on consumers.
The Ubuntu Desktop OS
Embodies freedom and is collaborative, precise, reliable
Targeting the communication
Voice - Community
- The Ubuntu community is made up of thousands of individuals and teams.
- They participate in every aspect of the Ubuntu project: from writing the software to providing advice, support and helping to promote Ubuntu to the widest possible audience.
- This end of the scale indicates that the materials primarily represent the work of the community.
Audience - Consumer
- An individual or small business group making a decision about an OS or computer.
- They cares about cost and function, and want the product to be easy to use and maintain.
- The user interface and user experience are key to their choice
- Other attributes that target consumers...
Developer - End-user - These are not just “materials for advanced users”, they are speciﬁcally materials for Developers, that will be used to support Software Development.
- These people are “satisﬁcers”: they have criteria and standards and will search until they ﬁnd the software solution that meets those standards.
- Uses the product as an ‘out of the box’ solution. They expect to be sold on the beneﬁts and ease of use.
- End Users do not care about the back end technology needed to deliver them those beneﬁts.
Supplemental creative guidance and assets
Refer to the Brand Communications Guide for the appropriate design elements, design guidance, download components, and design inspiration for the specified Target.
Things that need a bit more clarification
Brand mission - what is our highest calling? ... though could be the brand values from above - "Embodies freedom and is collaborative, precise, reliable"
- Brand strategies - positioning, personality, and affiliation
- Currently available communication strategies/touch-points with the target