To be carried out by the Canonical Foundations team.
The release of a new ubuntu-core stable image is a rather simple and straightforward process. Access to nusakan (cdimage) is required.
Release minus 3 weeks:
- Coordinate with the kernel and snapd teams about the incoming new ubuntu-core release.
- Make sure that kernel and snapd snaps are ready in stable at least a week before the planned release date.
- (optional) Request early sanity testing of the current edge-based daily images by the Certification Team to find any possible blockers as early as possible.
Release minus 7 days:
Check if the base snap (core, core16 or core18, depending on the release) is up-to-date in stable. If not, perform required promotion testing and promote it to stable (see UbuntuCore/Development for details).
Check if all the supported gadget snaps (pi, dragonboard, pc etc.) are up-to-date in stable. If not, perform required promotion testing and promote them to stable (see UbuntuCore/Development for details).
- Build the release candidate image.
On nusakan in screen, as cdimage, run: DIST=<SERIES> CHANNEL=stable for-project ubuntu-core cron.daily-live --live where <SERIES> is either xenial for 16 and bionic for 18.
- Disabling of daily images is not required as those are built separately and published to a different directory structure on cdimage.
- Once images are built, send a request for testing to the Certification Team (current POCs: cwayne or plars) and the Snapd Team (current POCs: mvo or cachio) including the link to the RC image directory on cdimage.
- Iterate on testing results, re-spinning images when necessary.
- Once images are blessed by the Certification Team and the Snapd Team as ready for release, inform the product management about the release being ready.
- On release day, promote the RC stable image to current.
On nusakan, as cdimage, go to the www/full/ubuntu-core/<SERIES>/stable/ directory where <SERIES> is either 16 or 18.
- If current is a symlink, change it to point to the new stable release image that has just been validated.
- If current is not a symlink but a regular directory, cd inside it and then change the links to the images inside. Be sure to also symlink and/or update the MD5SUMS and sign them, if needed.