SPLAT is a very useful application used to predict propagation at frequencies from 20 MHz to 20 GHz.
The splat web site is here
Splat version 1.3.0 has not yet been packaged for Debian or Ubuntu.
Packaging is problematic for the following reasons:
- Building splat is done by shell scripts and not makefiles
- There are interactive decisions requested which determine how splat is built
- These build-time decisions affect the terrestrial range that splat can be used for
Installation is challenging because the user is required to download, unpack, process, and install a lot of required terrain data in order to use splat.
Wish List for Splat
- convert all build-time decisions to run-time decisions
- convert to makefile builds
- A utility is needed to download and process the appropriate data files. This could be implemented as a google-maps type process, where the location and simulation range are used to determine which terrain data to download.