Full Circle Meeting #5 Log
This is a log of Full Circle Meeting #5, held on Saturday 11th August 2007 at 17:00 UTC.
This log is unedited!
<ronnietucker> ok, first thing, the ever late Colin Watson interview. I got sent some questions which i can add to the pool of questions so any last minute questions from anyone?...
<mrmonday> how many Qs we got
<mrmonday> I can make some up if we don't have enough
<ronnietucker> roughly 20
Topic changed on #fullcirclemagazine by linuxgeekery: Meeting in progress | Colin Watson interview
<mrmonday> that's probably enough
<ronnietucker> i'll email you the full list of questions mrmonday after the meeting. It's up to you which order you ask them in...
<linuxgeekery> Any last minute questions, or is that it?
<ronnietucker> we'll give it to the end of the meeting for questions for Colin... bu we'll move on
<ronnietucker> should FullCircle use US/UK spellings?...
Topic changed on #fullcirclemagazine by mrmonday: Meeting in progress | should fullcircle use US/UK spellings? <topaspv> uk
<ronnietucker> bearing in mind that Canonical and Ubuntu use US spellings
<linuxgeekery> either way
<mrmonday> uk: 2 votes
<linuxgeekery> But I'm in the US, so I lean towards U
<mrmonday> UK: 2 US: 1
<ronnietucker> i'm UK but would rather use US since all other Ubuntu documentation uses US
<topaspv> i didn't of canonical and ubuntu using us spellings.. so i'm pro us, too.
<mrmonday> UK: 2 US: 2
<linuxgeekery> No, US: 3
<mrmonday> UK: 1 US: 3
<linuxgeekery> Anyone else?
<mrmonday> looks like it's US then...
<linuxgeekery> Anyone else? Last chance
<ronnietucker> ok, from #5 we'll use US spellings so set your spell checkers to US!
<mrmonday> I haven't installed US...
<linuxgeekery> Well, install it then
<mrmonday> it'll take too long
<linuxgeekery> How come?
<mrmonday> /use up too much effort
<mrmonday> /I can't be bothered
<linuxgeekery> Do you use openoffice?
<ronnietucker> well just make sure you check it first before submitting it mrmonday :/ <linuxgeekery> mrmonday: sudo aptitude install aspell-en
<ronnietucker> ok, next:
Topic changed on #fullcirclemagazine by mrmonday: Meeting in progress | require a MyPC
<ronnietucker> we still require a MyPC
<ronnietucker> anyone want to email in a photo of their PC and a quick paragraph?
Action: mrmonday is psychic
<linuxgeekery> back a bit earlier, did I do a MyPC or My Desktop?
<mrmonday> I think desktop
<ronnietucker> it was a my desktop linuxgeekery
<ronnietucker> your depressing black one
<linuxgeekery> I've changed it
<linuxgeekery> But it's still dark
<ronnietucker> you going to show us your PC then this time?
<linuxgeekery> If you can't find anyone else, I'll do one
<ronnietucker> ok, email me a photo and some text...
<linuxgeekery> When is Issue 4 going to be released?
<ronnietucker> better still, put your photo and text on the wiki
<ronnietucker> next: a review
<linuxgeekery> If you can't find anyone by the 14th or so, I'll send mine in
Topic changed on #fullcirclemagazine by mrmonday: Meeting in progress | require a review
<ronnietucker> put it on the wiki anyway linuxgeekery we'll use it.
<ronnietucker> we still need a review of something. Software, hardware... something...
<mrmonday> how long can you wait?
<ronnietucker> couple of days
<mrmonday> I could do XChat
<mrmonday> as it is the app I use most :P
<ronnietucker> i was hoping more for a game or non-geek app
<linuxgeekery> ronnietucker: you could do Thunderbird
<mrmonday> no review offers then
<ronnietucker> fair point linuxgeekery, was also thinking of doing Miro
<linuxgeekery> aka Democracy Player
<topaspv> faemir had a nice program some days ago: mumble. perhaps someone (he?) can write something about it
<linuxgeekery> What does mumble do? Never heard of it
<topaspv> it's a open source alternative for teamspeak
<topaspv> uses alsa (teamspeak uses oss)
<ronnietucker> well, if he wants to review it then fair enough but i'll do a review of Miro then for #4
Action: mrmonday adds something to the agenda
<ronnietucker> any objections?
<topaspv> don't know if he wants to do it.. but it might be an interesting application
<ronnietucker> no last minute objections to my Miro review then?
<topaspv> not from me
<ronnietucker> ok, i'll write that up tomorrow and put it on the wiki for proofing.
<ronnietucker> mrmonday: how goes the Edubuntu article?
<mrmonday> not by me though
<mrmonday> topaspv did it
<mrmonday> I was going to do it yesterday
<mrmonday> but had writers block :/
<mrmonday> and didn't have time today
<ronnietucker> (aka: laziness)
<mrmonday> so I asked topaspv
<mrmonday> who agreed
<ronnietucker> all hail topaspv
<ronnietucker> all boo mrmonday
Action: mrmonday bows down
Action: mrmonday boos himself
mrmonday kicked from #fullcirclemagazine by mrmonday: BOOOOO!
mrmonday joined #fullcirclemagazine.
<ronnietucker> harsh, but we'll see if it works come next deadline
<linuxgeekery> Erm... this isn't good. I ran wine and it turned parts of my screen black
<linuxgeekery> and then crashed
faemir joined #fullcirclemagazine.
#fullcirclemagazine: mode change '+o mrmonday' by linuxgeekery
<mrmonday> hey faemir
<ronnietucker> ok, so we can put that on the wiki too (topaspv's article)
<mrmonday> I'll add it after the meeting
<mrmonday> ronnietucker, he did sampbars article too
<ronnietucker> hey, faemir is here just in time to tell us how his article is going...?
<ronnietucker> mrmonday: i know, hence why he should be hailed
<faemir> my ultra stable and reliable windows system crashed on me, taking the unsaved article with it :@
#fullcirclemagazine: mode change '+o topaspv' by mrmonday
#fullcirclemagazine: mode change '-o mrmonday' by mrmonday
#fullcirclemagazine: mode change '-o topaspv' by topaspv
linuxgeekery left irc: "leaving"
<mrmonday> topaspv, you've been promoted
<topaspv> don't want to
<ronnietucker> ok, show of hands: who believes faemir?
Action: mrmonday lowers his hand
<faemir> it wasn't finished admittedly
<ronnietucker> *sound of crickets chirping*
linuxgeekery joined #fullcirclemagazine.
<faemir> it was like half done :|
<ronnietucker> ok, so no-one believes you faemir... you've got until tomorrow...
<faemir> then you can be in the wrong then :P
<faemir> and i know :|
Topic changed on #fullcirclemagazine by mrmonday: Meeting in progress | becoming official
<ronnietucker> you presented no evidence in your case mr faemir, thus we're right...
<mrmonday> twas next on the agenda
<mrmonday> we said after #3 we would talk more about it
<ronnietucker> ok, becoming official...
<mrmonday> now is that time
<mrmonday> what happens if we become official?
<ronnietucker> i'd prefer to have had more people for deciding something like this but... go on mrmonday
<ronnietucker> from what i'm told: not a lot.
<mrmonday> ronnietucker, we'll skip to the last thing on the agenda then
<mrmonday> then go in reverse order
Topic changed on #fullcirclemagazine by mrmonday: Meeting in progress |
Topic changed on #fullcirclemagazine by mrmonday: Meeting in progress | getting more people to meetings!
<mrmonday> how can we do this?
<ronnietucker> ok, more people in meetings...
<mrmonday> we need more people who want to come
<mrmonday> we should maybe post on the blog?
<ronnietucker> well i normally send out a message through the blog to the near 2,000 subscribers...
<linuxgeekery> I noticed it wasn't announced on the front page
<ronnietucker> (a few days before hand)
<mrmonday> maybe we put something on the ubuntu mailing lists about it?
<mrmonday> if we could?
<ronnietucker> but which ones?
<mrmonday> the ones with the most subscribers who would care, and use IRC
<mrmonday> some of the thousand who idle on #ubuntu-uk
<ronnietucker> and the k/x/edu mailing lists too
<ronnietucker> so who wants to get the blame of spamming the mailing lists then?
<mrmonday> ronnietucker, you have the most experience in the field
<mrmonday> I vote you
<ronnietucker> i'll -1 that mrmonday
<linuxgeekery> Ronnie's attempt to make a wikipedia article failed
<ronnietucker> and +1 you since it is your idea...
<linuxgeekery> It got deleted
<ronnietucker> that would be the article you then changed linuxgeekery?
<ronnietucker> I believe you take the blame then
<linuxgeekery> It's marked for deletion
<linuxgeekery> So is your original one
<mrmonday> "It is proposed that this article be deleted, because of the following concern:
<mrmonday> Advertising bordering on spam "
<linuxgeekery> Nice going ronnie
<ronnietucker> and you linuxgeekery
<linuxgeekery> Yay... :P
Action: faemir is back
<mrmonday> Country Flag of the United States United States <-- pfff
<mrmonday> it's international...
<ronnietucker> anyway... back on track...
Topic changed on #fullcirclemagazine by mrmonday: Meeting in progress | cloaks
<mrmonday> still no word about them
<ronnietucker> whoa boy... we didn't get any ideas for people to meetings!
<faemir> surely, it's not more advertising than say the article for windows defender?
<faemir> or PC Pro
<faemir> or anything >_>
<faemir> eh, sorry
<ronnietucker> not you faemir, mrmonday
<faemir> no, i was apologising for keeping going after you said back ontrack
<ronnietucker> we still need ideas to get people into meetings to help decide on things
<faemir> hack the ubuntu website?
<ronnietucker> faemir: -1000000000000000000000
<mrmonday> you volunteering for that faemir ?
<ronnietucker> and when you get caught we'll deny we knew you
<linuxgeekery> got nmap and sshcrack ready? :P
<faemir> saying that, I wrote my own ftp cracker :P
<faemir> it takes a long time
<ronnietucker> any other ideas?
<linuxgeekery> FTP is easy...
<faemir> you go do so then
<linuxgeekery> "accidentally" spam people with the announcement 5 times?
<faemir> ronnietucker, if you put it the latest issue, a page or something saying how we need people in the meetings for ideas etc?
<ronnietucker> linuxgeekery: actually, can you take a look at the membership database as last time i sent out the meeting thing it said we had less to send to than we had members...
<linuxgeekery> ronnietucker: ok
<ronnietucker> faemir: i'll maybe add a bit of blab then to the Contribs page with the meeting date
<ronnietucker> thanks linuxgeekery
<faemir> and say something like "if you want the stuff you want featured featured, then come to the meeting"
<faemir> damn i love double wording
<linuxgeekery> ronnietucker: we have 1922 members
<linuxgeekery> ronnietucker: excluding admins and other stuff
nalioth joined #fullcirclemagazine.
<ronnietucker> yeah but pretend to send a message and you'll only get about 1,500 at most
<mrmonday> hi nalioth
<linuxgeekery> ronnietucker: I see
<linuxgeekery> Maybe we have too many members for it? :P
<ronnietucker> any other 'people to meeting' ideas?
<faemir> do lots of slap scripts on them when they come here at times that aren't the meeting?
<faemir> actually, an easy way would surely be to have a big banner on the website right?
<faemir> since as they go there for the magazines
<mrmonday> linuxgeekery, pm
<faemir> you could say something like "we are out of ideas, so if you want #5 to happen, then get to the meeting!" or perhaps something less.... dramatic? xD
<faemir> is anyone actually here?
<ronnietucker> come to the meeting or the kitten gets it...
<faemir> none of my explorer windows will close >_>
<faemir> "the only excuse is that windows has crashed" xD
<mrmonday> faemir, because you should be in linux for the meeting
<faemir> I have no hdd space until get new HDD
<faemir> which is in 1-2 months
<topaspv> bk. i think mentioning something in the magazine and here in the topic should work. we could also tell everyone in this channel about it
Action: faemir thinks of a bot named spambot would be appropriate
<ronnietucker> topaspv: we already do that and it doesn't seem to bring people... :/
<topaspv> what about the proof readers and so on? aren't there a lot people being involved? perhaps you could massmail them
<ronnietucker> topaspv: we kinda do that through the blog, i email from there to nearly 1,500 people and still only a few appear :/
<mrmonday> if any...
<topaspv> i read that. but you could also email the contributors/proof readers etc
<topaspv> i, for example, don't read the blog regularly
<topaspv> what i'm trying to say: others might not read it either
<mrmonday> topaspv, it automatically emails anyone who's signed up
<topaspv> so do you know if all the contributors are signed up there?
<ronnietucker> only problem there is that contributors change each issue... we'd end up with a long list of emails with most of them defunt
<topaspv> oh, ok.
<topaspv> i thought they were pretty much the same
<ronnietucker> the HowTo authors usually change
<topaspv> what about the translators?
<topaspv> they're "stable"
<ronnietucker> i'd say more semi-stable as some translations stopped after #0
<ronnietucker> but i'll maybe do a mass email to people (from my address book) before meetings to see how it goes...
<topaspv> i thought the french, spanish and italian translation teams were quite big
<ronnietucker> and Polish
<ronnietucker> but yeah, i'll email before the next meeting
<topaspv> btw: german translation makes progress
<topaspv> we got a rather active new translator
<topaspv> one more thing
<topaspv> do you have any idea who Christian Kloy is?
<ronnietucker> name doesn't ring a bell... nope...
<linuxgeekery> where's the name form
<topaspv> like an e-mail from him or something.
<linuxgeekery> Where'd you meet/find out about him?
<linuxgeekery> Name sort of sounds familiar
<topaspv> from the german translation site at the wiki. i don't know how to contact him and he wrote he was doing a translation
<ronnietucker> this guy: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ChristianKloy
<linuxgeekery> Well, he has a Launchpad page
<linuxgeekery> Says he's translating FCM into Germna
<topaspv> ronnietucker, that's as far as i got
<topaspv> i don't know if he actually does something or if i should translate his pages
<linuxgeekery> brb 1.5 mins
linuxgeekery left irc: "leaving"
<ronnietucker> is he part of your team? Or just some random guy who's started translating on his own?
<topaspv> i never got an e-mail from him or something. he was just there at the wiki
<ronnietucker> topaspv: your shout there, if he's not contacted you to give an update then you could fairly assue he's AWOL
linuxgeekery joined #fullcirclemagazine.
<ronnietucker> anything else we should bring up in this meeting... ?
<linuxgeekery> not that I can think of
<ronnietucker> same here... mrmonday?
<mrmonday> meeting over?
<ronnietucker> case closed...