Ubuntu Studio Maverick Meerkat 10.10
Ubuntu Studio is a multimedia editing/creation flavor of Ubuntu, built for the GNU/Linux audio, video, and graphics enthusiast or professional.
The Ubuntu Studio team is very excited over its eighth release: Maverick Meerkat 10.10, available as a 1.7GB DVD iso image from http://ubuntustudio.org/downloads/ Numerous improvements have been implemented for this release, but here are some of the more notable.
- Aeolus 0.8.4 from 0.8.2
Ardour 2.8.11 from 2.8.6(also note that the Ardour mute bug was also addressed
- Audacity 1.3.12 from 1.3.11
- Echomixer (alsa-tools-gui) 1.0.23 from 1.0.22
- envy24controls (alsa-tools-gui) 1.0.23 from 1.0.22
- HDSPConf (alsa-tools-gui) 1.0.23 from 1.0.22
- HDSPMixer (alsa-tools-gui) 1.0.23 from 1.0.22
- Hexter 0.6.2 from 0.6.1
- JACK 1.9.5 from 0.118 (hopefully giving good integration with Pulse Audio via dbus)
- JACK control (qjackctl) 0.3.6 from 0.3.4
- JAMin 0.97.14 from 0.95.0
- Mixxx 22.214.171.124 from 1.7.2
MuseScore 0.9.6.3 from 0.9.6
- Patchage 0.4.4 from 0.2.3
- Puredata 0.42.6 from 0.42.5
- Qsynth 0.3.5 from 0.3.4
- Rakarrak 0.5.8 from 0.3.0
- RMEdigicontrol (alsa-tools-gui) 1.0.23 from 1.0.22
- Sound Recorder (gnome-media) 2.31.6 from 2.29.91
- F-Spot 0.8.0 from 0.6.1.5
- GIMP 2.6.10 from 2.6.8
- Hugin 2010.0.0 from 2009.2.0
- Inkscape 0.48.0 from 0.47.0
- XSane Image 0.997 from 0.996
- xjadeo 0.4.13 from 0.4.7
Beginning with the Ubuntu package jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118+svn3796-1ubuntu2 editing of /etc/security/limits.conf should not be required. JACK will write the following during post-installation to /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf
# generated by jackd's postinst.
# Do not edit this file by hand, use
# dpkg-reconfigure -p high jack
@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock unlimited
#@audio - nice -19
Please note that creating or modifying /etc/security/limits.conf may cause conflicts with the JACK written /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf settings.
Email from Linux Audio Users mailing list: http://linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lau/2010/3/5/166428 Debian Bug #507248: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=507248
Also note that the user SHOULD be in the @audio group for "real-time" permission
LV2 Support and Plugins
- -generic kernel
- -generic kernel
Further general Ubuntu Maverick release notes can be read here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/1010
Hopefully you find this release to be our best yet, and we encourage any feedback you might have. We also encourage users of all expertise levels to join the Ubuntu Studio community in both documenting this release, and working towards our next release.
We hope you enjoy it!