Meeting opened by akgraner at 23:01
<akgraner> hi all - just a quick meeting to go over a couple things that are coming up within the next few weeks
<akgraner> who is here for the meeting?
<johnc4510> and me
<akgraner> is the short agenda - I'll make a better more formal one before the next meeting
<akgraner> so UDS is next week - who from the News team will be there
<akgraner> Fridge editors count too as part of news team
<akgraner> any fridge folks going pleia2 you are right?
<cjohnston> she is
<pleia2> oops, the meeting is here
<johnc4510> hey pleia2
<akgraner> anyone else - I'm asking b/c there will be interviews from UDS and I was hoping to know who was available and stuff on site
<cjohnston> I'll volunteer Hope
<akgraner> cjohnston, thanks
<akgraner> [topic] UDS - Interviews
UDS - Interviews
<akgraner> guess I should have done that a minute ago - sigh
nhandler won't be there
<akgraner> so Popey and I will be handling some streaming and video interviews on site at UDS
<akgraner> humphreybc will be videoing as well
<johnc4510> we should link that in this wks issue if you know where your putting it
<akgraner> johnc4510, not a def on the location until we get to UDS
<akgraner> but it's a little bit closer to being locked it
<akgraner> so I wanted everyone to know about that
<akgraner> [Topic] - Fridge Blueprint
- Fridge Blueprint
<akgraner> Joey registered a Fridge Blueprint for UDS
<akgraner> [link] - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fridge/+spec/community-m-fridge-and-news-team
<popey> i might be streaming some
<akgraner> popey, can you email url to where they can go to see them
<popey> akgraner: yes, i will use an online service, which i need to test
<akgraner> if you know that in advance that way we can tell people in this weeks UWN where to check
<popey> will probably test on saturday
<popey> i dont want to pre-tell people the url because I might not be able to
<popey> if wifi reception is bad for example
<akgraner> great if you know before say Sunday 1900 UTC that would be great
<popey> or if lighting isnt good enough
<johnc4510> we can also post it to the fridge closer to time if we don't know by sunday for the issue
<popey> I'll post to planet and/or fridge if that helps
<johnc4510> so popey just email us the link anytime to the -news-team list and we'll post it then
<akgraner> and I won't know url's to other stream until Sunday as well
<johnc4510> popey: cool
<popey> but i dont want to pre-announce just in case
<popey> wouldn't want peoples expectations set too high
<akgraner> popey, set them low then dazzle
<akgraner> so Fridge Blue Print - anyone not hear that the Fridge is moving to WP
<akgraner> getting a new theme and all that good stuff
<nhandler> Who is going to be driving this transition? joey ?
<akgraner> nhandler, yes - joey
<johnc4510> i'm so happy, nick and i tried to get it changed for a long time
<nhandler> I think jono was pushing for this a while ago as well
<akgraner> woo hoo - nick said the same thing
<popey> yeah, jono set up a demo site at the last uds
<johnc4510> nhandler: that's probably what got it thru
<akgraner> so joey went over the information radiator concept with me and I think mentioned it in here a few times as well
<akgraner> those are the links joey had sent me to read about - as that is what he mentioned the original purpose vision of the fridge was based on
<johnc4510> ? are those for statistics ?
<akgraner> since I can now access the blueprint
<akgraner> does anyone have ideas for it
<akgraner> so I can add them to the blueprint
<johnc4510> well we could set up something like a roadmap for the news team for the coming releases ???
<akgraner> johnc4510, he meant it as we are the temperature gage so to speak of the community
<tyche> Why restrict it to releases? There are other things going on in the Ubuntu community.
<akgraner> to attach to the blueprint
<akgraner> well each cycle teams have roadmaps and goals for that cycle
<tyche> What one might call "Ubuntu Community at a Glance"
<akgraner> tyche - yeah I think the Fridge Team is already doing a great job of that btw
<akgraner> but we needed to get some more imput for the blueprint and ideas to go over at UDS
<tyche> I'm talking about white-boarding it, like your link showed.
<johnc4510> akgraner: agreed, i was thinking more of setting it up in community form...what the dev teams are doing, loco teams...etc....toward the release
<akgraner> yes, but everything on the whiteboard is usually on a wiki as well
<johnc4510> maybe i'm not thinking right here
<johnc4510> i think i need a better explaination maybe
<akgraner> setting the Fridge up that way?
<akgraner> or blueprint
<akgraner> johnc4510, you have confused me now
<tyche> What I'm talking about is a semi-graphic showing a title, a status indicator, and holding a link for more information.
<akgraner> ahh - that was one example joey gave me
<tyche> Great minds, etc.
<akgraner> so anyone have ideas for the blueprint?
<akgraner> I'll put up a wiki after the meeting - I am so new to the Fridge part - you all know better than me
<akgraner> so I am deferring to you all for all that in put
<johnc4510> are you asking what the new fridge set up should and shouldn't provide to us?
<akgraner> what do you think it was missing
<akgraner> what worked
<johnc4510> we need to be able to embed images and video
<akgraner> what hasn't
<tyche> Mostly, organization. Everything was on the front page.
<nhandler> The link to the forum is a pita
<akgraner> do you want peer reviewed material written as original content for the Fridge people can submit
<johnc4510> we also need a way for non-team members to post to the quay for approval by us
<akgraner> then x number of news team members review and ack or nack it
<pleia2> yeah, that'd be great
<nhandler> johnc4510: I think joey said that non-team members will be able to save stories as a draft somehow but not publish (don't quote me on that)
<nhandler> akgraner: If x == 1, then yes
<akgraner> Should there be a separate Calendar added for LoCo teams
<akgraner> so those meetings can be seen by community
<nhandler> akgraner: I think we can use the events feed from the LD for that
<johnc4510> well, we can't really post all the loco team events to the fridge calendar
<johnc4510> it would be a mess
<akgraner> right so should there be a LoCo Calendar
<johnc4510> nods...at least i think so
<akgraner> people have complained - that they can't access that stuff in one place easily
<akgraner> what if they don't want to sign into LP
<akgraner> should there be the Calendar for the Classroom events as well
<nhandler> akgraner: The LD should handle the LoCo stuff. We can then pull from the LD if we want to display certain info
<johnc4510> classroom event i think can still go on the fridge calendar
<nhandler> johnc4510: ClassRoom already has its own calendar
<johnc4510> each event that is all day type should only be listed once
<johnc4510> with a link to the agenda
<akgraner> nhandler, I just now learning what all LD is and is not for - but was told by mhall that the events calendar was not for LoCo Team meetings so I guess I need to understand what is for
<nhandler> akgraner: I guess that depends on what "meeting" means
<nhandler> akgraner: For instance, I consider a release party a type of LoCo meeting
<akgraner> team meetings
<akgraner> like this
<tyche> One thing you will HAVE to do (based on my own experience) is convince people that they NEED to include a location and agenda.
<nhandler> akgraner: You mean *IRC* team meetings
<akgraner> nhandler, yes
<nhandler> akgraner: I don't think we need to include that stuff. The IRC meetings will usually only matter to the people in that LoCo
<akgraner> hehe - I gotta get y'all a crystalball to read my mind
<nhandler> They usually have their own calendars for that
<akgraner> nhandler, with the move to cross-collaborate
<cjohnston> I still want to make a LD that is only for IRC meetings.. in which you can rsvp
<tyche> If you look through the last few UWN's, you'll see a lot of "not listed as of publication" in those slots.
<akgraner> and invite projects to talk to loco teams and stuff there is no easy way to see when teams are doing what
<nhandler> tyche: I know when I've helped people add events, I link them to the wiki page and make sure they include that info
<tyche> I know. But there's still a lot of them who just haven't bothered to read how to do it, and don't ask for help.
<akgraner> other loco teams are also curious as to how x team or another conducts their meetings
<akgraner> and with searching their wiki pages etc still no easy way to located that information - but that amy be just me
<tyche> I know that, at one time, it was all filtered through one poor person (me) to add the information, and I used to go crazy tracking down people to get information.
<nhandler> akgraner: I don't know, I still find that if I want to know when a certain team has there next meeting, it is easier to go to the wiki. I like a calendar to know what events are going on today
<johnc4510> i just drop into their channel and ask when the next meeting is
<akgraner> one central calendar also paints a create picture in one stop to gage the activity of the LoCo Teams as a whole
<akgraner> I guess I am looking both locally and globally
<nhandler> I guess the question is, would the community want this?
<nhandler> Maybe send an email to loco-contacts to find out
<akgraner> we can do that
<akgraner> I was just asking the question
<akgraner> and I also see no harm in trying and if it's not received well then you take it down
<akgraner> no harm
<pleia2> fwiw, changing the "It is used for #ubuntu-meeting." on our /calendar page might help a bit if we want to keep it as a general meetings calendar (everyone is confused about whether it should really be -meeting only or not, since it SAYS its only for -meeting but people tell them otherwise, and some don't bother with location...)
<nhandler> akgraner: It would be a pain to setup, as you would need to hunt down each loco to add their meetings
<akgraner> why can't the contacts add themselves?
<cjohnston> I think if we are going to do a LoCo meeting calendar, it needs to be seperate than the fridge calendar... otherwise its gonna be so overrun, you wont be able to read it
<akgraner> I'll send an email
<johnc4510> well, it's not strickly -meeting...for instance if it an event, like bug day, it might not be in -meeting
<nhandler> akgraner: They can, but it will take time for them to do it
<akgraner> cjohnston, yes - no one is disagreeing
johnc4510 agrees with cjohnston
<pleia2> johnc4510: right, but that's not what it says on the page, look at the text on fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar
<pleia2> johnc4510: that's my point
<johnc4510> pleia2: oh, i agree
<akgraner> that was never an issue - the questions was can we have a separate link to a LoCo Calendar
<nhandler> akgraner: links are easy enough to add
<akgraner> that's all
<johnc4510> i say yes....then if they don't use it we can scrap it, or if they do...great
<tyche> The flip side of that is what do you include in the UWN.
<akgraner> and how the Calendar is populated we can work out
<akgraner> tyche, we aren't there yet - still blueprint for UDS
<johnc4510> yeah we can make that decission later...
<tyche> Right now, Teams are adding their LoCo meetings to the calendar in order to have them published in the UWN.
<johnc4510> thus this discussion
<akgraner> That was another issue for another day
<nhandler> tyche: How many LoCos are doing that?
<akgraner> about UWN
<tyche> Sorry, I tend to take a holistic approach to things
<akgraner> tyche, if you don't know off the top of your head we can figure it out this weekend
<tyche> There are at least 5 that I can think of, right off hand.
<tyche> But I couldn't name them, easily.
<akgraner> so I think there are some great ideas here for the blueprint - I'll work on getting that written up and out to everyone
<akgraner> so you all can tweak before UDS
<akgraner> sound like a plan?
<nhandler> I think the new fridge will develop more once we have a physical wp installation to play with
<cjohnston> DC, cameroonian atleast
<akgraner> [action] akgraner to add ideas from meeting to blueprint then sent to mailing list
akgraner to add ideas from meeting to blueprint then sent to mailing list
<tyche> May I suggest that instructions for adding events to the calendar(s) be put on the page(s)?
<akgraner> tyche, good idea!
<nhandler> +1 tyche
<tyche> INCLUDING: Times are listed in UTC
<nhandler> tyche: Listed in UTC, but added in localtime
<johnc4510> with link to agenda's if they have one
<akgraner> [topic] publishing UWN for May 9 (this Sunday) and May 16th (next Sunday)
publishing UWN for May 9 (this Sunday) and May 16th (next Sunday)
<akgraner> so UWN is normally published on Sunday's - I'll be traveling both the 8th and the 15th - and Should providing there are no travel issues or wifi problems be able to publish from Brussels on Sunday
<akgraner> and the same goes for the return trip the following weekend as I get back home on the night of he 15th
<johnc4510> have a sprout for me
<akgraner> I should have almost all the content ready (at least links) for this issue late tomorrow
<tyche> >>BAD PUN<<
<johnc4510> akgraner: np...we'll get it done
<akgraner> in the event I am unable to help get it out the door - who besides out regular crew can be on stand by to lend a hand should johnc4510 need it?
<akgraner> basically summarizing some articles
<tyche> I will be here on the 9th
<akgraner> cjohnston, will pull the stats on Sunday before he leaves so that is covered
<akgraner> tyche, thanks
<johnc4510> this wks. issue will be full again i think...the second one will taper off some
<cjohnston> and on the google docs page incase someone messes with it
<akgraner> Pen said she would copy my google doc and do some stuff off line as well
<akgraner> johnc4510, tyche scott_ev will you be available as well this weekend?
<johnc4510> akgraner: you need to give me the link to the google docs page just in case please
<akgraner> myrtlebeachbums, I need to give you the links as well
<johnc4510> i will...as always
<akgraner> johnc4510, I think you have it
<akgraner> but I'll send it again
<akgraner> it anyone else wants to help out just let me know and I'll give ya a section of the newsletter to help with
<johnc4510> i haven't bookmarked it so please resend it
<MTecknology> I'd love to find the time to help out
<akgraner> We will also be adding content nightly at UDS - and by we I guess I mean me and whomever wants to help from there
<johnc4510> MTecknology: just jump in HEE HEE
<akgraner> ok one last thing
imbrandon got the UTC time wrong
<MTecknology> johnc4510: I've done that in too many places
<akgraner> [topic] - 200th ISSUE
- 200th ISSUE
<akgraner> woo hoo
<akgraner> the 200th Issue will be publish July 4th Weekend
<akgraner> so it is approaching fast
<akgraner> some of the interviews we will conduct at UDS will be for this issue
<akgraner> and not that we want hide or not be transparent - but some of that we want to be a surprise for readers on that weekend
<tyche> akgraner: Do you have someone who can do transcription?
<johnc4510> i hope you have mark, jane and jono at the top of the list
<akgraner> yes and couple people have said they would help
<akgraner> johnc4510, yep they are on the list
<johnc4510> akgraner: so, these are video interviews??
<akgraner> yes about UDS
<akgraner> like last time
<akgraner> but the 200th issue one - will be print
<akgraner> email - however you want to say it
<akgraner> but I can see if we can get short video clips from them about UWN as well
<akgraner> Here is the link to the 100th Issue
<akgraner> over the next week if you have suggestions for this issue - I'll have a wiki page up for you to add to
<johnc4510> good, we need to get the outline started
<akgraner> is there anyone who wants to suggested anything now?
<johnc4510> time is running
<akgraner> that maybe wasn't included in the 100th that you were like - dang we should have done x
<akgraner> we have about a minute - I didn't intend to keep everyone this long sorry
<johnc4510> the thing that is changing in some cases are the different people
<akgraner> anything else before I close the meeting
<johnc4510> just that we need to get started on this...outline especially
<akgraner> thank you every one ! Any objections to monthly news meetings?
<nhandler> Just get them on the fridge
<imbrandon> nope, great idea, i just need to pay better attention to the clock, and i think -meeting would be better
<MTecknology> I liked the email announce too
johnc4510 says...if that's it....later all
nhandler can't remember the reasoning for using -news instead of -meeting
<imbrandon> nhandler: there was another meeting in there at 2300
<imbrandon> but not 22 or 24
<akgraner> -meeting is not always going to be available
<johnc4510> as we get further along on the 200th issue planning we don't want everyone knowing what's going to be in it
<akgraner> and -meeting does not have Mootbot-UK
<johnc4510> it is suppose to be news lol
<akgraner> so - anyone want to chair the meeting next time
<cjohnston> when is it
<johnc4510> i can if you or someone else doesn't want to
<akgraner> I sent out a survey - Thursday 2300 was the most popular time
<cjohnston> which thursday
<akgraner> any thursday
<imbrandon> first thursday's of the month seem good, since this is
<akgraner> I think everyone who wants to should have a turn at leading meetings
<akgraner> so since cjohnston volunteered -
<cjohnston> so thursday the third?
<cjohnston> i what?
<johnc4510> i did, not cjohnston
<johnc4510> cjohnston: lol
<akgraner> How does June 3rd, 2010 - 2300 sound
<cjohnston> as long as its not a work day i can
<cjohnston> im good with it
<imbrandon> sounds good to me
<akgraner> [action] next news team meeting - June 3rd, 2010 - 2300 in ubuntu-news - cjohnston to chair
next news team meeting - June 3rd, 2010 - 2300 in ubuntu-news - cjohnston to chair
Meeting closed at 00:05
akgraner to add ideas from meeting to blueprint then sent to mailing list
next news team meeting - June 3rd, 2010 - 2300 in ubuntu-news - cjohnston to chair - he agreed
Agenda used during the meeting