August

General Agenda Items and Proposals

PLEASE COME TO THE MEETINGS PREPARED.

This means:

  1. If there is an either and issue or idea for the team, please add it to the agenda below.
  2. Agenda items then should be discussed "informally" on #ubuntu-youth. 90 % of the discussion should have taken place before the meeting, preferably on either the mailing list or in the team channel.
  3. Meetings are primarily for decision making/team votes. Read the agenda and discuss your thoughts before the meeting. 10 % (or less) of the discussion should happen during the meeting.
  4. Agenda items that require more then 5 minutes of discussion may need to be deferred.

Who

What

zkriesse

Start of meeting, and such

zkriesse

Welcoming message

zkriesse

Topic 1 - Getting the team together!

zkriesse

Topic 2 - New Members

AndrewMC

Topic 3 - His topic...

ThomasB2k

Topic 4 - Website for the team

zkriesse

Topic 5 - Any concerns, questions, or ideas? Please, bring them up!

Agenda discussion

No agenda discussions except what was in the agenda itself...

Log

   1 [19:56] <zkriesse_> #startmeeting
   2 [19:56] <meetingology> Meeting started Sat Aug 21 [19:56:01 2010 UTC.  The chair is zkriesse_. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AlanBell.
   3 [19:56] <meetingology> updated
   4 [19:56] <meetingology> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
   5 [19:56] <meetingology> updated
   6 [19:56] <shadeslayer> first plasma commit in the making
   7 [19:56] <ThomasB2k> 50 seconds for me
   8 [19:56] <Kaia> zkriesse_: you started it early
   9 [19:56] <zkriesse_> Ok guys welcome to the Ubuntu Youth Meeting
  10 [19:56] <zkriesse_> #link https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuYouth/Meetings
  11 [19:56] <lfaraone> this is getting a bit silly.
  12 [19:56] <zkriesse_> The above link is for the meeting and it's topics (hopefully)
  13 [19:57] <zkriesse_> Now as we didn't really get anywhere at the last meeting (for those who weren't there don't worry as we didn't get anywhere) this meeting will hopefully get us to our goal
  14 [19:57] <ThomasB2k> hi
  15 [19:57] <shadeslayer> hopefully :P
  16 [19:57] * serfus is right on time?
  17 [19:57] <shadeslayer> serfus: yep
  18 [19:57] <bilalakhtar> serfus: late by half-a-minute
  19 [19:58] <shadeslayer> come on.. 30 secs :P
  20 [19:58] <zkriesse_> Now I'm hoping that we can get on an agreement for the team, it's goals, what it aims at, and what we are hoping to accomplish. You'll all be allowed to voice your ideas/concerns/issues but ONE AT A TIME...you're welcome to discuss someones idea after they list it but please, don't stampede eachother
  21 [19:58] <serfus> next time i'll be sharp :)
  22 [19:58] * smeag0l forget and stuff
  23 [19:58] <MichealH> lol @ bilalakhtar
  24 [19:58] <ThomasB2k> let's not interrupt and let's keep discussion on topic (not trying to backseat mod)
  25 [19:59] <zkriesse_> So, first topic
  26 [19:59] <zkriesse_> #topic Getting the team together
  27 [19:59] <meetingology> TOPIC: Getting the team together
  28 [19:59] <zkriesse_> Who'd like to start with their idea
  29 [19:59] <ThomasB2k> Well
  30 [20:00] <ThomasB2k> I think we should start with new members and stuff
  31 [20:00] <shadeslayer> +1
  32 [20:00] <meetingology> +1 received from shadeslayer
  33 [20:00] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
  34 [20:00] <smeag0l> +1
  35 [20:00] <meetingology> +1 received from smeag0l
  36 [20:00] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
  37 [20:00] <bilalakhtar> +1
  38 [20:00] <meetingology> +1 received from bilalakhtar
  39 [20:00] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
  40 [20:00] <AndrewMC> +1
  41 [20:00] <meetingology> +1 received from AndrewMC
  42 [20:00] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
  43 [20:00] <MichealH> +1
  44 [20:00] <meetingology> +1 received from MichealH
  45 [20:00] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
  46 [20:00] <zkriesse_> ThomasB2k: Agreed...
  47 [20:00] <shadeslayer> is it supposed to do that? ^
  48 [20:00] <zkriesse_> Ok agreement on starting with the new members topic first instead of a team goal
  49 [20:00] <zkriesse_> shadeslayer: yes...
  50 [20:00] <shadeslayer> zkriesse_: the private vote thing
  51 [20:01] <bilalakhtar> shadeslayer: ping AlanBell about it
  52 [20:01] <zkriesse_> shadeslayer: If someone private msgs it yeah
  53 [20:01] <zkriesse_> Anyhoo
  54 [20:01] <zkriesse_> New members,
  55 [20:01] * bilalakhtar is a new member of the team
  56 [20:01] <shadeslayer> bilalakhtar: welcome!
  57 [20:01] <zkriesse_> bilalakhtar: patience please
  58 [20:01] <ThomasB2k> welcome!
  59 [20:02] <smeag0l> welcome
  60 [20:02] <zkriesse_> We've got AndrewMC, ascenseur is back, ThomasB2k, Kaia, noplamodo, lfaraone, and JoeMaverickSett
  61 [20:02] <serfus> i think we are all kind of new... nobody has done much within the team
  62 [20:02] <zkriesse_> Those whom i announce please tell a little about yourself
  63 [20:02] <ThomasB2k> just pointing out, I still haven't been approved on the LP page
  64 [20:02] <zkriesse_> ThomasB2k: Ah you have not?
  65 [20:02] * zkriesse_ goes to remedy
  66 [20:02] <ThomasB2k> no
  67 [20:02] <noplamodo> *krhm* me neither
  68 [20:03] <ThomasB2k> Well, while he's doing that. Hello, I'm Thomas Boxley. I'm a web programmer from Illinois in the USA. I'm 15. I love videogames and computers and I'm a huge geek.
  69 [20:03] <bilalakhtar> zkriesse_: sorry
  70 [20:04] <smeag0l> ty ThomasB2k
  71 [20:04] <zkriesse_> bilalakhtar: no problem
  72 [20:05] <JoeMaverickSett> I'm Ye Myat Kaung.(nvm if you can't read it properly) just call me joe. I'm from Myanmar, currently studying in Malaysia. I'm 17..well almost 18... I like computers and...computers.. :D
  73 [20:06] <ThomasB2k> welcome!
  74 [20:06] <zkriesse> Argh
  75 [20:06] <MichealH> JoeMaverickSett: ... and computers... and comuters...
  76 [20:06] <MichealH> ... and IRC
  77 [20:06] <serfus> and sleeping!
  78 [20:06] <MichealH> lol
  79 [20:07] <JoeMaverickSett> MichealH: oh, yeah. thanks. you too, serfus. :)
  80 [20:07] <AndrewMC> Im Andrew Constantine, im from Windham, ME... im 14 and have been using Linux Mint for about 3 years... and i love computers and Open Source things
  81 [20:07] <ThomasB2k> welcome!
  82 [20:07] <lfaraone> Hallo. I'm Luke Faraone. In addition to being part of the DC LoCo, I'm also an Ubuntu MOTU and Debian Developer. (NB: I'm on a drive, and have shoddy connectivity, so if I don't reply I'm not ignoring you. )
  83 [20:08] <MichealH> lfaraone: No Probs :)
  84 [20:08] <JoeMaverickSett> lfaraone: it's alright. ;)
  85 [20:08] <MichealH> I always wanted to go MOTU and DD/UD path
  86 [20:08] <lfaraone> (I'm 17)
  87 [20:08] * AndrewMC will BRB
  88 [20:08] <MichealH> heh... Im the youngest
  89 [20:08] <lfaraone> MichealH: itls s loads of fun.
  90 [20:08] <shadeslayer> MichealH: bilalakhtar is younger :P
  91 [20:08] <zkriesse_> Ok cool
  92 [20:09] <MichealH> shadeslayer: I am even younger
  93 [20:09] <zkriesse_> #topic AndrewMC has something to say
  94 [20:09] <meetingology> TOPIC: AndrewMC has something to say
  95 [20:09] <noplamodo> I'm 16, from Belgium, even though i'm actually finnish. I've been using Ubuntu for about 3-4 years already, but never been active in the community. Should i still put that i like computers too?
  96 [20:09] <zkriesse_> noplamodo: Of course! If you like them!
  97 [20:09] <ThomasB2k> yay for finns!
  98 [20:09] <bilalakhtar> I'm Bilal Akhtar, 14, still in school, likes computers and ubuntu specially. Involved very much in Ubuntu Development, have fixed 13 papercuts till now, hope to become Ubuntu MOTU soon. Recently blogged by jcastro at http://bit.ly/a3v24T . Don't hesitate to ping me up if you wanna ask about software development!
  99 [20:09] <JoeMaverickSett> noplamodo: hehe, we got ya. :)
 100 [20:09] <noplamodo> :)
 101 [20:09] <MichealH> zkriesse_: Can I write a intro for the new memebrs?
 102 [20:10] <noplamodo> Oh, and i usually spam much smilies on irc, or so they say...
 103 [20:10] <ThomasB2k> I wish I was actually good at desktop app programming. I do have 5 years of PHP, but what good is that in the Ubuntu world?
 104 [20:10] <Kaia> I'm Kaia, 19, at Aberystwyth University in Wales. I am part of the Ubuntu-mars and Ubuntu-cym teams
 105 [20:10] <MichealH> noplamodo: Mee too :P :D :L :/ ;) |)
 106 [20:10] <kvarley> ThomasB2k Php is a very valuable skill
 107 [20:11] <ThomasB2k> thanks
 108 [20:11] * bilalakhtar would like to add that he also knows PHP
 109 [20:11] <AndrewMC> Well i had an idea that everyone in the channel should be voiced as it makes it easier for the ops to op the channel... by devoiceing that person cant speak in channel... stoping the offensive action and appropriate action can be taken
 110 [20:11] <ThomasB2k> +1
 111 [20:11] <meetingology> +1 received from ThomasB2k
 112 [20:11] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 113 [20:11] <MichealH> AndrewMC: Good Idea
 114 [20:11] <MichealH> +1
 115 [20:11] <meetingology> +1 received from MichealH
 116 [20:11] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 117 [20:11] <JoeMaverickSett> +1
 118 [20:11] <meetingology> +1 received from JoeMaverickSett
 119 [20:11] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 120 [20:11] <noplamodo> +1
 121 [20:11] <meetingology> +1 received from noplamodo
 122 [20:11] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 123 [20:11] <serfus> AndrewMC, i don't think that's the right way to go
 124 [20:11] <smeag0l> +1
 125 [20:11] <meetingology> +1 received from smeag0l
 126 [20:11] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 127 [20:11] <bilalakhtar> +1
 128 [20:11] <meetingology> +1 received from bilalakhtar
 129 [20:11] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 130 [20:12] <shadeslayer> +1
 131 [20:12] <meetingology> +1 received from shadeslayer
 132 [20:12] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 133 [20:12] <serfus> in my channel, i just +q on whom i want to mute
 134 [20:12] <kvarley> AndrewMC Everybody except non-members?
 135 [20:12] <MichealH> kvarley: Everyone is voice
 136 [20:12] <zkriesse_> kvarley: No everyone who joins the channel
 137 [20:12] <kvarley> Oh ok
 138 [20:12] <MichealH> *!*@* has +vV
 139 [20:12] <kvarley> -1
 140 [20:12] <meetingology> -1 received from kvarley
 141 [20:12] <meetingology> -1 received from a private vote
 142 [20:12] <smeag0l> -1
 143 [20:12] <meetingology> -1 received from smeag0l
 144 [20:12] <meetingology> -1 received from a private vote
 145 [20:12] <zkriesse_> kvarley: You do not agree?
 146 [20:13] <ThomasB2k> I stick with my +1
 147 [20:13] <MichealH> Im slowly think ing of -1 in ghere
 148 [20:13] <MichealH> Im like +0
 149 [20:13] <MichealH> Undecided
 150 [20:13] <Kaia> -1
 151 [20:13] <meetingology> -1 received from Kaia
 152 [20:13] <meetingology> -1 received from a private vote
 153 [20:13] <zkriesse_> MichealH: Then answer honestly...don't say +1 and mean something else
 154 [20:13] <MichealH> I need to know more :P
 155 [20:13] <ThomasB2k> Lots of bandwagoning it seems like
 156 [20:13] <shadeslayer> yeah
 157 [20:13] <kvarley> I just think it'd be nice to have the approved members gettng voice when they are welcomed into the community. They would have the launchpad group though so either way is fine. I'm sitting on the fence so to speak (not sure either way)
 158 [20:14] <MichealH> kvarley: Agreed
 159 [20:14] <MichealH> -1
 160 [20:14] <meetingology> -1 received from MichealH
 161 [20:14] <meetingology> -1 received from a private vote
 162 [20:14] <zkriesse_> kvarley: then put +o
 163 [20:14] <ThomasB2k> I think it wouldn't hurt to voice everyone like first suggested
 164 [20:14] <kvarley> +0
 165 [20:14] <kvarley> +o
 166 [20:14] <ThomasB2k> :p
 167 [20:14] <smeag0l> hm
 168 [20:14] <noplamodo> The Holy Hand Grenade! :O
 169 [20:14] <zkriesse_> Just a note this will be a finalized decision by the Ubuntu Youth Council which consists of AndrewMC, kvarley, ascenseur, and myself
 170 [20:14] <serfus> i'm still -1
 171 [20:15] <zkriesse_> We were trying to gauge how ya'll would take such an action if we put it into affect
 172 [20:15] <MichealH> serfus: Then put -1 on a line by itself :P
 173 [20:15] <MichealH> zkriesse_: Not well
 174 [20:15] <bilalakhtar> so we have 8 +1s and 3 -1s
 175 [20:15] <kvarley> +
 176 [20:15] <bilalakhtar> sorry 4 -1s
 177 [20:15] <kvarley> *+
 178 [20:15] <kvarley> **+'s win
 179 [20:16] <zkriesse_> next topic
 180 [20:16] <serfus> why don't you put meetingology to vote, so it will be organized?
 181 [20:16] <zkriesse_> serfus: It doesn't yet have that command
 182 [20:16] <zkriesse_> serfus: AlanBell has yet to build that package
 183 [20:16] <zkriesse_> #topic Website for the team by ThomasB2k
 184 [20:16] <meetingology> TOPIC: Website for the team by ThomasB2k
 185 [20:16] <serfus> oh.. well, fine :)
 186 [20:16] <ThomasB2k> oh yes
 187 [20:17] <ThomasB2k> I could make a professional website for the team for free
 188 [20:17] <ThomasB2k> you can view some of my work at my website, http://mpscripts.com
 189 [20:17] * bilalakhtar would like to suggest something to ThomasB2k
 190 [20:17] <ThomasB2k> yes?
 191 [20:17] <bilalakhtar> ThomasB2k: You could use a CMS like drupal, that would save time AND would be convenient
 192 [20:18] <MichealH> bilalakhtar: +1
 193 [20:18] <ThomasB2k> how about wordpress? i'm much more familar with it
 194 [20:18] <serfus> ThomasB2k, who would pay for the domain and host?
 195 [20:18] <shadeslayer> wordpress would be better i think
 196 [20:18] <ThomasB2k> i already have a server
 197 [20:18] <ThomasB2k> and I can pay for the domain
 198 [20:18] <zkriesse_> ThomasB2k: That's fine..but as serfus said...who'd pay for the domain..and host
 199 [20:18] <bilalakhtar> ThomasB2k: Wordpress is for blogs, but for general-purpose websites its better to have Drupal
 200 [20:18] <ThomasB2k> I honestly have no knowledge with Drupal
 201 [20:19] * bilalakhtar has contributed a few patches to Drupal
 202 [20:19] <shadeslayer> bilalakhtar: not really.. you can use wp for sites as well
 203 [20:19] <bilalakhtar> ThomasB2k: your choice
 204 [20:19] <ThomasB2k> I honestly say WP, and I can provide hosting on my server and the domain.
 205 [20:19] <MichealH> +1 for Drupal
 206 [20:19] <AndrewMC> +1 for Wordpress
 207 [20:19] <shadeslayer> +1 for wp
 208 [20:19] <bilalakhtar> MichealH: it appears ThomasB2k prefers WP, its his choice after all
 209 [20:19] <MichealH> Yeah
 210 [20:19] <zkriesse_> +1 for wordpress
 211 [20:20] <bilalakhtar> ok, so I and MichealH lose
 212 [20:20] <smeag0l> +1 wp
 213 [20:20] <JoeMaverickSett> +1 wp.
 214 [20:20] <zkriesse_> #idea ThomasB2k to make a Ubuntu Youth site via wordpress
 215 [20:20] <MichealH> bilalakhtar: Aye ^_^
 216 [20:20] <Kaia> tbh, i think this could be discussed as a separate issue. I think we should use what ThomasB2k is comfortable with
 217 [20:20] <zkriesse_> So it's agreed? bilalakhtar should make us a site?
 218 [20:20] <bilalakhtar> zkriesse_: no ThomasB2k
 219 [20:20] <serfus> i think that if you want to do it, it will be great but it's not essential right now
 220 [20:20] <zkriesse_> Duh
 221 [20:21] <MichealH> zkriesse_: I can make one
 222 [20:21] <bilalakhtar> zkriesse_: let ThomasB2k go ahead
 223 [20:21] <zkriesse_> MichealH: Ah no...
 224 [20:21] <ThomasB2k> I will provide hosting and the domain too, so vote me :D
 225 [20:21] <MichealH> zkriesse_: One project at a time?
 226 [20:21] <bilalakhtar> well I have my current website running Drupal expatsinksa.com
 227 [20:21] <bilalakhtar> +1 for ThomasB2k
 228 [20:21] <zkriesse_> MichealH: yes my young padawan
 229 [20:21] <MichealH> zkriesse_: Im learning
 230 [20:21] <smeag0l> +1 for ThomasB2k
 231 [20:21] <zkriesse_> Ok so,
 232 [20:22] <ThomasB2k> sorry, brb, scrounging for mouse batteries :/, I'll read back when I get back. Sorry
 233 [20:22] <MichealH> ThomasB2k: np
 234 [20:22] <zkriesse_> #action ThomasB2k and UY Council to discuss and put into affect a website for the team
 235 [20:22] * meetingology ThomasB2k and UY Council to discuss and put into affect a website for the team
 236 [20:22] <zkriesse_> Ok, back to our original topic
 237 [20:22] <zkriesse_> #topic Getting the team together!
 238 [20:22] <meetingology> TOPIC: Getting the team together!
 239 [20:24] <MichealH> We can have like a Planet Youth?
 240 [20:24] <zkriesse_> Ok, so as a team is it just me or do we all seem dead...
 241 [20:24] <zkriesse_> MichealH: Hold on buddy
 242 [20:24] <smeag0l> i'm partly dead to zkriesse
 243 [20:24] <ThomasB2k> okay i'm back, putting in the batteries
 244 [20:24] <zkriesse_> This team has failed in the past when it was attempted, as such there has been some doubt (actually a LOT of doubt) as to whether I and you guys can make this team a success
 245 [20:25] <shadeslayer> im partly dead for the next 1.5 weeks starting Wednesday :P
 246 [20:25] <MichealH> shadeslayer: Why? lol
 247 [20:25] <zkriesse_> The ones who have doubted this team are very well established, and top contributors in the Ubuntu Community
 248 [20:25] <smeag0l> correction totally dead
 249 [20:25] <shadeslayer> MichealH: minors in 10 days ;)
 250 [20:26] <serfus> i have to say, after been thinking about it, i see the team in the best place is under the UB teem
 251 [20:26] <serfus> as a focus group
 252 [20:26] <zkriesse_> So as they are usually quite right in their opinions and judgements, it's safe to say that so far we've not made much of an impact
 253 [20:26] <zkriesse_> serfus: Meaning?
 254 [20:26] <shadeslayer> MichealH: i might even keep this core offline :P
 255 [20:26] <zkriesse_> serfus: The Ubuntu Beginners team has had such a focus group before..it also failed
 256 [20:26] <MichealH> shadeslayer: minors?
 257 [20:27] <MichealH> shadeslayer: Use irssi
 258 [20:27] <shadeslayer> MichealH: minor exams :P....
 259 [20:27] * MichealH hides
 260 [20:27] <zkriesse_> So, here's the skinny. We need a common goal as a team and as a grou
 261 [20:27] * smeag0l lacking the knowled
 262 [20:27] <MichealH> shadeslayer: Ahh
 263 [20:27] <smeag0l> *g
 264 [20:27] <zkriesse_> We need to figure out what we wish to contribute most to and whom in the community we wish to reach
 265 [20:28] <bilalakhtar> ^^ that WHAT is still not clear
 266 [20:28] <MichealH> zkriesse_: We should guide youths to the ubuntu community, teaching them about irc ect.
 267 [20:28] <serfus> we have similar goals as the Beginners team, combined we have better chances to succeed
 268 [20:28] <zkriesse_> Now I know ya'll will be going back to school  soon so I don't expect any of us to have that much time to do so
 269 [20:28] <shadeslayer> MichealH: and dude.. if you have a quassel core... thats the ultimate thing :P
 270 [20:28] <MichealH> shadeslayer: Naw
 271 [20:28] <MichealH> screen + irssi ftw
 272 [20:29] <MichealH> Can you access Your Precious core via a ssh session?
 273 [20:29] <zkriesse_> Heck, I'll be going to school in a matter of days (college but nevertheless it's school) :-D
 274 [20:29] <ThomasB2k> Yes, we should focus on other people in our age group. Not really contributing directly to Ubuntu code and stuff, we should more or less just focus on spreading Ubuntu and how Linux is great to show people that there are other things in the world besides Windows.
 275 [20:29] * MichealH goes to school Sept 7th
 276 [20:29] <smeag0l> agreed ThomasB2k
 277 [20:29] <bilalakhtar> zkriesse_: ok, could you please explain what is the ultimate goal of the Ubuntu Youth Project (Project, not Team)
 278 [20:29] <ThomasB2k> 3/4s of the kids at my school didn't even know about Mac or Windows until I managed to persuade the administration to convert a computer lab to Ubuntu.
 279 [20:29] <MichealH> agreed ThomasB2k
 280 [20:30] <ThomasB2k> *Mac or Linux
 281 [20:30] <bilalakhtar> well, I magaed to get 2 of my classmates to use Ubuntu and dump Windows
 282 [20:30] <ThomasB2k> They always thought "Windows is the only thing in the world and I have to end the task of a frozen program every 5 minutes"
 283 [20:31] <bilalakhtar> The biggest problem in getting youngsters to use Ubuntu is that they prefer Windows games
 284 [20:31] * JoeMaverickSett have been unsuccessful at converting people! :(
 285 [20:31] <bilalakhtar> thats something we could target in our campaign
 286 [20:31] <smeag0l> indeed you're right ThomasB2k
 287 [20:31] * MichealH has tried countless times to get Ubuntu spread, But I amwaiting for the ulyimate moment
 288 [20:31] <MichealH> *ultimate
 289 [20:31] <zkriesse_> bilalakhtar: Ok far as a Project is concerned, I feel that we should be reaching out, whether it's at school, friends house(s), parties what have you, and show that Ubuntu is out there, and while it's not perfect, neither is windows
 290 [20:31] <bilalakhtar> So, we could showcase Ubuntu games like FlightGear and Tremulous
 291 [20:31] <zkriesse_> But that's just my opinion...
 292 [20:31] <ThomasB2k> Yes, we could focus on games. Honestly, a lot of children and teenagers just play browser games like Farmville. World of Warcraft would be the only thing we'd actually have to worry about :p
 293 [20:31] <bilalakhtar> zkriesse_: yup I got it
 294 [20:32] <kvarley> bilalakhtar Many youngsters have consoles now though. Also steam is coming to linux along with mavericks ubuntu store which will have paid games in there too
 295 [20:32] <AndrewMC> and one thing i though is that us *as a group* can get together and maybe work on some bugs etc...
 296 [20:32] <zkriesse_> bilalakhtar: Urban Terror is SOOO Much more kick ass than tremuouls
 297 [20:32] <ThomasB2k> TF2 > All :p
 298 [20:32] <ThomasB2k> But yes
 299 [20:32] <MichealH> ThomasB2k: Farvill FTW!
 300 [20:32] <ThomasB2k> World of Goo showed that great games can be made for Linux.
 301 [20:32] <MichealH> *Farmvuille
 302 [20:32] <shadeslayer> imo
 303 [20:32] <zkriesse_> ThomasB2k: Not to mention Oblivion
 304 [20:32] <kvarley> ThomasB2k agreed
 305 [20:32] <shadeslayer> most companies are now shutting down PC versions of games
 306 [20:32] <JoeMaverickSett> AndrewMC: agreed.
 307 [20:32] <MichealH> Whole of Facebook = win
 308 [20:33] <shadeslayer> switching to consoles they are
 309 [20:33] <MichealH> shadeslayer: lol?
 310 [20:33] <shadeslayer> and new HTML5 games are pretty awesome
 311 [20:33] <ThomasB2k> Yes, and this could be a great opportunity for indie developers in Linux really
 312 [20:33] <MichealH> shadeslayer: Agreed
 313 [20:33] <shadeslayer> MichealH: look a the facts...
 314 [20:33] <shadeslayer> piracy pwns everything else
 315 [20:33] <MichealH> shadeslayer: I thought you meant TTy's, sorry
 316 [20:33] <ThomasB2k> Games are going to the consoles or the browsers...
 317 [20:33] <bilalakhtar> well, we could tell youngsters that Ubuntu has cool desktop effects, plays media very well, has cool games, has free software, doesn't crash that much, etc
 318 [20:33] <shadeslayer> you cant pirate a XBox CD/DVD and play without a XBox
 319 [20:34] <zkriesse_> Ok guys let's steer this back to the topic at hand....
 320 [20:34] <ThomasB2k> Bilalakhtar, we can't lie. Ubuntu really doesn't play media too well. 99% of people own iPods and we're just now getting mediocre support for that. I can't play Bluray on my laptop in Ubuntu, I have to boot into windows for that
 321 [20:34] <MichealH> shadeslayer: Take it to a PM?
 322 [20:35] <JoeMaverickSett> i think that we should also be getting some eduction from the Ubuntu Mentors, like C/C++ sessions,[ which did not happen.]
 323 [20:35] <bilalakhtar> ThomasB2k: ok, so that point of mine was incorrect
 324 [20:35] <shadeslayer> i agree ^^
 325 [20:35] <AndrewMC> +1 JoeMaverickSett
 326 [20:35] <shadeslayer> +1 JoeMaverickSett
 327 [20:35] <smeag0l> +1 JoeMaverickSett
 328 [20:35] <ThomasB2k> -1
 329 [20:35] <meetingology> -1 received from ThomasB2k
 330 [20:35] <meetingology> -1 received from a private vote
 331 [20:35] <ThomasB2k> Why, why focus on coding?
 332 [20:36] <ThomasB2k> Isn't the goal to spread Ubuntu?
 333 [20:36] <bilalakhtar> JoeMaverickSett: could you elaborate on your point? Why would we need those?
 334 [20:36] <AndrewMC> perl and python are good to learn too
 335 [20:36] <ThomasB2k> Do we need C/C++ coding knowledge to spread Ubuntu?
 336 [20:36] <serfus> i think that we should focus on teaching how to use ubuntu,IRC,LP and how the community works rather then spread ubuntu as other teams already do
 337 [20:36] <smeag0l> hm still kind of tired :P
 338 [20:37] <zkriesse_> +1 serfus
 339 [20:37] <AndrewMC> ThomasB2k~ No but we dont HAVE to spread ubuntu there are other places we are needed like bugs... irc... forums etc
 340 [20:37] <MichealH> +1 JoeMaverickSett
 341 [20:37] <JoeMaverickSett> well, getting some education is good. helpful. + you could code your own.
 342 [20:37] <MichealH> +1010101010100101 serfus
 343 [20:37] <AndrewMC> +1 serfus +1 JoeMaverickSett both very good idea
 344 [20:37] <AndrewMC> s
 345 [20:37] <JoeMaverickSett> i'm not saying C/C++ in particular, python would be more essential to Ubuntu.
 346 [20:38] <ThomasB2k> +1 serfus now that I think about it
 347 [20:38] <noplamodo> +1 serfus
 348 [20:38] <bilalakhtar> in case there is need of development, I can be helpful, and I am sure lfaraone will also help
 349 [20:38] <smeag0l> +1 serfus +1 JoeMaverickSett educating kids is very important teach em how think for them self
 350 [20:39] <serfus> yup
 351 [20:39] <zkriesse_> Ok so spreading Ubuntu and Teaching the basics
 352 [20:39] <zkriesse_> Sounds like a plan
 353 [20:39] <ThomasB2k> Wait, we're going to get the code training or the other people who we try to appeal to?
 354 [20:39] <AndrewMC> i think JoeMaverickSett's idea is good if thats something you want to do as it may not be everyone's interest serfus's idea seems better for a whole group
 355 [20:39] <ThomasB2k> I'm confused
 356 [20:39] <bilalakhtar> Basics doesn't have to deal with python
 357 [20:39] <ThomasB2k> Basics doesn't have to deal with any code language. The average person doesn't want to have to learn that stuff.
 358 [20:39] <JoeMaverickSett> AndrewMC: i think so. i'll go with serfus as it's more group centered.
 359 [20:40] * AndrewMC will BRB
 360 [20:40] <JoeMaverickSett> than mine.
 361 [20:40] <zkriesse_> Ok so,
 362 [20:40] <ThomasB2k> The average person wants to read email, type up documents, and go on facebook to play farmville. No coding or anything. That will make people turn away from Ubuntu.
 363 [20:40] <smeag0l> i'm agree with JoeMaverickSett
 364 [20:40] <serfus> although, the group *can* be a place where you can find a mentor to help you with more then the basics such as python etc
 365 [20:41] <zkriesse_> #idea Team/Team's Goal & Projects is to Spread Ubuntu and Teach the basics
 366 [20:41] * AndrewMC is back
 367 [20:41] <zkriesse_> #agreed
 368 [20:41] <ThomasB2k> See, will we be learning python and stuff, or we be helping others to learn it?
 369 [20:41] <ThomasB2k> I'm confused.
 370 [20:41] <zkriesse_> ThomasB2k: Well when teaching I find that I learn myself
 371 [20:41] <shadeslayer> well... those who want to learn to code should be provided with opportunities to do so
 372 [20:41] <shadeslayer> and for that we need proper mentors
 373 [20:41] <ThomasB2k> ahh
 374 [20:42] <ThomasB2k> +1
 375 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from ThomasB2k
 376 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 377 [20:42] <smeag0l> +1
 378 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from smeag0l
 379 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 380 [20:42] <serfus> shadeslayer, +1
 381 [20:42] <noplamodo> +1
 382 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from noplamodo
 383 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 384 [20:42] <AndrewMC> +1
 385 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from AndrewMC
 386 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 387 [20:42] * zkriesse_ smacks meetingology for being a silly bot
 388 [20:42] <zkriesse_> +1
 389 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from zkriesse_
 390 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 391 [20:42] <JoeMaverickSett> +1
 392 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from JoeMaverickSett
 393 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 394 [20:42] <shadeslayer> so i guess we could take this up in #ubuntu-devel or such and start a small mentor program ?
 395 [20:42] <bilalakhtar> +1
 396 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from bilalakhtar
 397 [20:42] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 398 [20:43] <zkriesse_> shadeslayer: That will have to be ironed out
 399 [20:43] <shadeslayer> zkriesse_: just a suggestion ;)
 400 [20:43] <MichealH> +1
 401 [20:43] <meetingology> +1 received from MichealH
 402 [20:43] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 403 [20:43] <ThomasB2k> I think we should keep everything in this channel. While it won't be as organized, it will be more controlled.
 404 [20:43] <shadeslayer> because we do not have a mentoring program for ubuntu as such
 405 [20:43] <MichealH> ThomasB2k: +1
 406 [20:43] <bilalakhtar> Why not have an #ubuntu-youth-mentors ?
 407 [20:43] <MichealH> It keeps it cleaner
 408 [20:44] <zkriesse_> bilalakhtar: Because this is what this channel is mainly for..a mentorship unto the broader scope of the community
 409 [20:44] <zkriesse_> #topic Topic 5 - Any concerns, questions, or ideas? Please, bring them up!
 410 [20:44] <meetingology> TOPIC: Topic 5 - Any concerns, questions, or ideas? Please, bring them up!
 411 [20:44] * MichealH seconds zkriesse_
 412 [20:44] <ThomasB2k> micheal, are you just agreeing to everything? :p
 413 [20:45] <zkriesse_> Ok enough MichealH
 414 [20:45] <bilalakhtar> https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu-youth-project What is this for ?
 415 [20:45] <zkriesse_> bilalakhtar: Ah thank you
 416 [20:45] <serfus> shadeslayer, take a look at this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuYouth/Structure there is a place for mentoring
 417 [20:45] <shadeslayer> serfus: ok lemme see
 418 [20:45] <zkriesse_> #link https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu-youth-project
 419 [20:45] <shadeslayer> serfus: not really.. see what i mean is directed at coding
 420 [20:46] <zkriesse_> #link https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuYouth/Structure
 421 [20:46] <shadeslayer> the page you mention is for #ubuntu-youth only
 422 [20:46] <shadeslayer> for beginners...
 423 [20:46] <serfus> oh shadeslayer  got you
 424 [20:46] <zkriesse_> shadeslayer: It will eventually entail our entire spectrum of mentorship
 425 [20:47] <shadeslayer> zkriesse_: good to know :D
 426 [20:47] <zkriesse_> But as the team is a work in progress it stands to reason that the wiki for the team is also a work in progress
 427 [20:47] * shadeslayer can help with packaging bits
 428 [20:47] * bilalakhtar can also help with packaging
 429 [20:48] <zkriesse_> #action shadeslayer and bilalakhtar to help with packaging/packaging training if needed
 430 [20:48] * meetingology shadeslayer and bilalakhtar to help with packaging/packaging training if needed
 431 [20:48] <zkriesse_> Ok who here likes wiki?
 432 [20:48] <shadeslayer> zkriesse_: as in look?
 433 [20:48] * serfus does!!
 434 [20:48] <zkriesse_> shadeslayer: As in editing it
 435 [20:48] <zkriesse_> serfus: You like to edit wiki work?
 436 [20:48] <shadeslayer> oh that
 437 [20:48] <serfus> but i'm not a master *yet*
 438 [20:48] <zkriesse_> serfus: How good are you at it...
 439 [20:49] <shadeslayer> i just copy paste from other people :P
 440 [20:49] <zkriesse_> serfus: Ok I'll help you learn the wiki if you wish
 441 [20:49] <serfus> i started with this
 442 [20:49] <shadeslayer> bilalakhtar: heh.. daily builds are scored above regular builds now i think
 443 [20:49] <serfus> zkriesse, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuYouth/Howto/JoinTheChannel
 444 [20:49] <zkriesse_> Just so ya'll know, I'm a HUGE wiki advert
 445 [20:49] <shadeslayer> zkriesse_: i know :P
 446 [20:49] <zkriesse_> so much so that I applied to be a wiki admin just so i could do more!
 447 [20:49] <zkriesse_> wb JoeMaverickSett
 448 [20:50] <bilalakhtar> shadeslayer: I don't think so. My daily build yesterday got built today
 449 [20:50] <smeag0l> zkriesse, i would also like to learn the wiki but my life seams to be a lot of ups and downs
 450 [20:50] <shadeslayer> bilalakhtar: that would be the queue... im talking about build scores, dailly builds are now scored at 2405, normal builds are scored at 2205 i think
 451 [20:50] <bilalakhtar> ah ok shadeslayer
 452 [20:50] <zkriesse_> #action zkriesse to team and explain the ways of the wiki to those who wish to take on that challengeful road
 453 [20:50] * meetingology zkriesse to team and explain the ways of the wiki to those who wish to take on that challengeful road
 454 [20:51] <shadeslayer> currently we have what... 300 packages for 32 bit waiting to be built :P
 455 [20:51] <zkriesse_> Ok!
 456 [20:51] <AlanBell> ah, voting is still very broken in meetingology!
 457 [20:51] <zkriesse_> I think we had a good meeting...any other things ya'll might wanna bring up?
 458 [20:51] <shadeslayer> zkriesse_: can you add quassel to the JoinTheChannel ?
 459 [20:51] <zkriesse_> AlanBell: And you now show up?
 460 [20:51] <shadeslayer> hehe
 461 [20:51] <AndrewMC> what does the team think of about getting together and assigning packages to bugs as a collaborative effort... i think it could be a project we could start with
 462 [20:51] <zkriesse_> shadeslayer: ask serfus..it's his page
 463 [20:52] <shadeslayer> serfus: ^^
 464 [20:52] <serfus> AndrewMC, i have been thinking of something like this as well, great idea imho
 465 [20:52] <shadeslayer> AndrewMC: or we could just all go to ubuntu-bugs on their bug hug days
 466 [20:52] <zkriesse_> shadeslayer: Agreed
 467 [20:53] <shadeslayer> they announce bug hug days on ubuntu-devel
 468 [20:53] <shadeslayer> every monday/thursday i think
 469 [20:53] <zkriesse_> shadeslayer: We shall have to announce that here as well
 470 [20:53] <shadeslayer> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugDay/20100819
 471 [20:53] <shadeslayer> thats the latest one
 472 [20:53] <shadeslayer> ah gone by
 473 [20:53] <zkriesse_> lol
 474 [20:53] <AndrewMC> shadeslayer~ well yes you could do that but it would be helpful to be able to talk amung us all if we are unsure what package goes to this particuar bug.... a team effort
 475 [20:54] <JoeMaverickSett> i would like to learn about wiki, zkriesse_. :)
 476 [20:54] <zkriesse_> Ok so...any ideas left?
 477 [20:54] * AndrewMC would like to learn wiki too
 478 [20:54] <zkriesse_> JoeMaverickSett and AndrewMC Ok I'll help ya'll out too
 479 [20:55] <shadeslayer> AndrewMC: um.. #ubuntu-bugs has more experienced people who can guide us properly imo
 480 [20:55] <shadeslayer> also.. its on ubuntu-bugsquad mailing list : https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugsquad : not ubuntu-devel
 481 [20:55] <zkriesse> #action zkriesse to speak to #ubuntu-bugs about possible collaberation between the two teams
 482 [20:55] * meetingology zkriesse to speak to #ubuntu-bugs about possible collaberation between the two teams
 483 [20:56] <shadeslayer> my tags say ubuntu-devel :P
 484 [20:56] <AndrewMC> +1
 485 [20:56] <meetingology> +1 received from AndrewMC
 486 [20:56] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 487 [20:56] <zkriesse> Ok so anyone else have anything to add?
 488 [20:56] <bilalakhtar> shadeslayer: are you member of Ubuntu BugControl?
 489 [20:56] <shadeslayer> bilalakhtar: planning to apply after minors
 490 [20:56] <bilalakhtar> shadeslayer: well, I am one
 491 [20:56] <shadeslayer> oh :D
 492 [20:56] <smeag0l> +1
 493 [20:56] <meetingology> +1 received from smeag0l
 494 [20:56] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 495 [20:57] <bilalakhtar> zkriesse: I am a BugControl member and so is lfaraone . We can help in such a case
 496 [20:57] <zkriesse> bilalakhtar: ty
 497 [20:57] <shadeslayer> i havent done alot of triaging, but the ones ive touched, i fix them up pretty good
 498 [20:58] <ThomasB2k> I am very sorry
 499 [20:58] <MichealH> I have a idea
 500 [20:58] <ThomasB2k> Unfortunately I must go
 501 [20:58] <zkriesse> ThomasB2k: It's ok my friend...there will be logs
 502 [20:58] <ThomasB2k> okay
 503 [20:58] <zkriesse> MichealH: Speak now..
 504 [20:58] <serfus> bye ThomasB2k , thanks
 505 [20:58] <ThomasB2k> i will read them
 506 [20:58] <ThomasB2k> bye
 507 [20:58] <MichealH> We could have like a Ubuntu Youth Planet
 508 [20:58] <zkriesse> ThomasB2k: Thanks for participating
 509 [20:59] <JoeMaverickSett> see ya, ThomasB2k.
 510 [20:59] <MichealH> Where we... The community of youths can add our streams to
 511 [20:59] <MichealH> Good Idea?
 512 [20:59] <bilalakhtar> MichealH: It won't help that much
 513 [20:59] <zkriesse> MichealH: No...I'll probably make an Ubuntu Youth Blog and a twitter for ubuntu-youth but a planet? we can add the streams to the ubuntu planet
 514 [21:00] <serfus> zkriesse, only members can
 515 [21:00] <bilalakhtar> -1 for MichealH, sorry
 516 [21:00] <MichealH> Yup
 517 [21:00] <MichealH> np bilalakhtar
 518 [21:00] <zkriesse> serfus: I know...i'm a member.. :)
 519 [21:00] <bilalakhtar> zkriesse: BTW, how many Ubuntu Members are there in the team?
 520 [21:00] <MichealH> bilalakhtar: Well...
 521 [21:00] <zkriesse> bilalakhtar: Ah you me and a couple others... AlanBell and somebody else for now
 522 [21:00] <zkriesse> Puck`: ping
 523 [21:00] <MichealH> Theres you and zkriesse
 524 [21:00] <MichealH> Then lfaraone
 525 [21:01] <serfus> shadeslayer
 526 [21:01] <serfus> jpds
 527 [21:01] <MichealH> lhavelund
 528 [21:01] * shadeslayer is already member ;)
 529 [21:01] <smeag0l> afk food
 530 [21:01] <zkriesse> If ya'll are ok with it I'll work on making us a Wordpress blog and a Twitter account for the Ubuntu Youth Team
 531 [21:01] <serfus> shadeslayer, ya, he asked how many ubuntu members are here
 532 [21:01] <shadeslayer> +!
 533 [21:01] <bilalakhtar> +1
 534 [21:01] <meetingology> +1 received from bilalakhtar
 535 [21:01] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 536 [21:01] <smeag0l> +1
 537 [21:01] <meetingology> +1 received from smeag0l
 538 [21:01] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 539 [21:01] <shadeslayer> +1
 540 [21:01] <meetingology> +1 received from shadeslayer
 541 [21:01] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 542 [21:01] <MichealH> (sorry for highlights)
 543 [21:01] <shadeslayer> serfus: oh..i thought ubuntu-youth member :P
 544 [21:02] <AlanBell> I would suggest a wordpress blog with multiple contributors rather than a planet
 545 [21:02] <MichealH> See yous
 546 [21:02] <zkriesse> shadeslayer: No...we were discussing the planet
 547 [21:02] <zkriesse> AlanBell: As I said, wordpress blog
 548 [21:02] <bilalakhtar> If its for a planet then -1, otherwise for a blog and twitter, its +1 from me
 549 [21:02] <shadeslayer> wp blog + contributors seems good
 550 [21:03] <AndrewMC> +1
 551 [21:03] <meetingology> +1 received from AndrewMC
 552 [21:03] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 553 [21:03] <shadeslayer> planet would take too much time to setup imo
 554 [21:03] <bilalakhtar> It would be a team blog, established members could blog
 555 [21:03] <zkriesse> shadeslayer: Hence a wordpress blog
 556 [21:03] <zkriesse> bilalakhtar: Yes!
 557 [21:03] <shadeslayer> AlanBell: your bot seems broken ;)
 558 [21:03] <bilalakhtar> shadeslayer: the idea of a planet has been dropped
 559 [21:03] <zkriesse> shadeslayer: It's not broken, a work in progress it is
 560 [21:03] <AlanBell> shadeslayer: one sec . . .
 561 [21:03] <shadeslayer> ah :P
 562 [21:03] <shadeslayer> AlanBell: is it a ruby bot?
 563 [21:03] <zkriesse> Ok so,
 564 [21:03] <AlanBell> python
 565 [21:03] <shadeslayer> oic
 566 [21:03] <AlanBell> supybot plugin
 567 [21:03] <shadeslayer> right...
 568 [21:04] <AlanBell> +1
 569 [21:04] <meetingology> +1 received from AlanBell
 570 [21:04] <meetingology> +1 received from a private vote
 571 [21:04] <zkriesse> #action zkriesse to establish a Ubuntu Youth Wordpress blog and Twitter account
 572 [21:04] * meetingology zkriesse to establish a Ubuntu Youth Wordpress blog and Twitter account
 573 [21:04] * bilalakhtar is now off
 574 [21:04] <AlanBell> hmm, will fix that in a sec
 575 [21:04] <bilalakhtar> sorry
 576 [21:04] <shadeslayer> bilalakhtar: bye :)
 577 [21:04] <zkriesse> goodbye bilalakhtar ~
 578 [21:04] <bilalakhtar> bye everyone! I will read the logs later
 579 [21:04] <zkriesse> bilalakhtar: Thanks for showing
 580 [21:04] <zkriesse> Argh, he's gone
 581 [21:05] <zkriesse> Ok that's pretty much a wrap!
 582 [21:05] <zkriesse> Thanks everybody for showing and giving your awesome ideas!
 583 [21:05] <serfus> i have to say it was a much better meeting then the last one :)
 584 [21:05] <zkriesse> serfus: Definitely agreed my man
 585 [21:06] <zkriesse> Anyone have anything to add before I end the meeting?
 586 [21:06] * Kaia can't judge on previous meeting, she wasn't there
 587 [21:06] <serfus> naughty Kaia
 588 [21:06] <zkriesse> Kaia: You were...you just didn't "attend" perce
 589 [21:06] <shadeslayer> hehe
 590 [21:06] <zkriesse> Ok!
 591 [21:06] <zkriesse> #endmeeting


CategoryUbuntuYouth

UbuntuYouth/Meetings/10/August (last edited 2010-09-12 03:49:39 by zkriesse)