20110312

Ubuntu Youth Meeting Log from March 12'th, 2011

Topics of Discussion

Who

What

zkriesse

Start of meeting, and such

zkriesse

Welcoming message

zkriesse

Topic 1 - Project(s) Status & Completion Dates

zkriesse

Topic 2 - New Members of the Council

zkriesse

Topic 3 - New Membership Process Discussion

zkriesse

Topic 4 - Slightly New Team Process/Ideas

All Participants

Topic 5 - Any concerns, questions, or ideas? Please, bring them up!

Action Items

  • nisshh To set up a wik page on Ubuntu Youth wikk detailing the aspects of the Mentoring project
  • serfus to help nisshh when he can
  • zkriesse To interview potention mentors and discuss with them their wishes/interests/requirements needed
  • nisshh and zkriesse to collaborate on a Wiki page for potential mentors/mentee's

Meeting Log

   1 [17:04:50] <zkriesse> #startmeeting
   2 
   3 [17:04:50] <meetingology> Meeting started Sat Mar[12[17:04:50 2011 UTC.  The chair is zkriesse. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AlanBell.
   4 
   5 [17:04:50] <meetingology> Useful Commands: #topic #action #link #idea #voters #vote #chair #action #agreed #help #info #endmeeting.
   6 
   7 [17:05:02] <zkriesse> #topic Ubuntu Youth Meeting
   8 
   9 [17:05:02] <meetingology> TOPIC: Ubuntu Youth Meeting
  10 
  11 [17:05:08] <nisshh> roll call?
  12 
  13 [17:05:16] <Mkaysi> o/
  14 
  15 [17:05:25] <serfus> o/ again :)
  16 
  17 [17:05:29] <JoeMaverickSett> o/
  18 
  19 [17:05:38] <kvarley> 0/
  20 
  21 [17:05:47] <nisshh> zkriesse, thats everyone
  22 
  23 [17:06:00] <hakimsheriff> sorry im late
  24 
  25 [17:06:05] <hakimsheriff> im finnally here
  26 
  27 [17:06:11] <zkriesse> hakimsheriff: It's ok, take a seat
  28 
  29 [17:06:37] <CensoredBiscuit> here
  30 
  31 [17:06:37] <zkriesse> MichealH: ? pedro3005 ? Timo__ ?
  32 
  33 [17:06:46] <nisshh> CensoredBiscuit, ?
  34 
  35 [17:06:52] <zkriesse> Gah, well they can read the scrollback if anything
  36 
  37 [17:06:58] <nisshh> heh
  38 
  39 [17:07:13] <zkriesse> Ok, so....you'll notice I've not tossed a link for a meeting "schedule" because there isn't one
  40 
  41 [17:07:49] <zkriesse> Since NOBODY has been discussing possible ideas or anything AT ALL I've seen no reason to make a meeting agenda as there is really nothing to agenda-ize
  42 
  43 [17:08:20] <zkriesse> But since I'm here I'm going to do some actual leading...which is the nice way to say I'm going to be yelling at some of you for a few minutes
  44 
  45 [17:08:46] <Mkaysi> zkriesse: IDEA: Put piespy drawings of this channel to youth.ubuntu.com when it comes.
  46 
  47 [17:08:47] <nisshh> ...in a nice way
  48 
  49 [17:08:52] <zkriesse> nisshh: Yeah
  50 
  51 [17:08:53 * JoeMaverickSett listens.
  52 
  53 [17:09:01] <nisshh> :)
  54 
  55 [17:09:04] <zkriesse> Now, first things first
  56 
  57 [17:09:38] <zkriesse> Why the heck isn't the very nice forum which phillw so graciously is hosting for us being used?
  58 
  59 [17:09:57] <CensoredBiscuit> we have a forum?
  60 
  61 [17:10:07] <zkriesse> You all know it's there, it's linked to in the topic, our wiki, I've talked about it all the time, posted links etc
  62 
  63 [17:10:13] <hakimsheriff> We have a forum?
  64 
  65 [17:10:16] <serfus> CensoredBiscuit, yup...
  66 
  67 [17:10:20] <nisshh> you guys didnt know?
  68 
  69 [17:10:25] <hakimsheriff> nope
  70 
  71 [17:10:25] <Mkaysi> CensoredBiscuit: http://phillw.net/uy-forums.net/phpBB3/
  72 
  73 [17:10:33] <zkriesse> http://phillw.net/uy-forums.net/phpBB3/index.php
  74 
  75 [17:10:40] <JoeMaverickSett> didn't you guys read the Ubuntu Youth wiki? :\
  76 
  77 [17:10:55 * Mkaysi knew it because skfin said that it's requirment for joining Ubuntu Youth.
  78 
  79 [17:10:56] <zkriesse> JoeMaverickSett: Thank you for that
  80 
  81 [17:10:58] <hakimsheriff> I did when I joined the team
  82 
  83 [17:11:05] <zkriesse> Mkaysi: Well skfin lied lol
  84 
  85 [17:11:15] <CensoredBiscuit> I'd spam that, Id spam the heck outta that.
  86 
  87 [17:11:15] <JoeMaverickSett> hakimsheriff: well then you should read it thoroughly.
  88 
  89 [17:11:16] <zkriesse> Mkaysi: It's not a requirement but I ask that you do
  90 
  91 [17:11:27] <hakimsheriff> okay, sorry
  92 
  93 [17:11:33] <Mkaysi> I have account there.
  94 
  95 [17:11:52] <hakimsheriff> we could get a domain name to link directly to the forums
  96 
  97 [17:12:05] <zkriesse> hakimsheriff: No we're fine
  98 
  99 [17:12:13] <Mkaysi> hakimsheriff: uy-forums.net if I remember correctly.
 100 
 101 [17:12:17 * JoeMaverickSett also has _an_ account on the forum as well, that doesn't mean he's an active user of the forum. :|
 102 
 103 [17:12:18] <Timo__> hi zkriesse
 104 
 105 [17:12:20] <zkriesse> Ok, so...now that you know it's there WHY ISN"T IT BEING USED
 106 
 107 [17:12:20] <Timo__> wassup?
 108 
 109 [17:12:24] <zkriesse> Timo__: MEETING
 110 
 111 [17:12:27] <hakimsheriff> Oh wait, I knew about this
 112 
 113 [17:12:30] <zkriesse> Timo__: Take a seat youngin
 114 
 115 [17:12:33] <hakimsheriff> think I just forgot
 116 
 117 [17:12:42] <Timo__> now?
 118 
 119 [17:12:52] <JoeMaverickSett> Timo__: /topic for more info.
 120 
 121 [17:12:55] <zkriesse> Timo__: No in the future :D
 122 
 123 [17:13:04] <JoeMaverickSett> lol
 124 
 125 [17:13:06] <Mkaysi> Yes. uy-forums.net works.
 126 
 127 [17:13:09] <Timo__> mm
 128 
 129 [17:13:16] <Timo__> so this is a meeting channel now?:P
 130 
 131 [17:13:28] <hakimsheriff> yup
 132 
 133 [17:13:30] <zkriesse> No I'm holding it here
 134 
 135 [17:13:34] <Mkaysi> Timo__: Because almost anyone didn't appear to #ubuntu-meeting
 136 
 137 [17:13:49] <zkriesse> We're getting off track
 138 
 139 [17:14:04] <zkriesse> Ok, so...
 140 
 141 [17:14:14] <Timo__> I think Ubuntu Youth needs to have a clear point
 142 
 143 [17:14:17] <zkriesse> I've got a bit of a beef with some of you, the rest not so much
 144 
 145 [17:14:19] <Timo__> of in which it helps in ways
 146 
 147 [17:14:30] <Timo__> because now it's just a bunch of people idling around
 148 
 149 [17:14:34] <zkriesse> Timo__: This isn't really discussion time, I'm trying to talk about my concerns here
 150 
 151 [17:14:41 * Mkaysi wonders if he gots raport about this meeting from Ubuntu-For-All mailing list. He lets hakimsheriff to do it like last time.
 152 
 153 [17:14:41] <Timo__> oh
 154 
 155 [17:14:46] <Timo__> ok I shut my mouth :P
 156 
 157 [17:15:20] <nisshh> zkriesse, continue
 158 
 159 [17:15:36] <zkriesse> so...why isn't there any topics of discussion being started during the non-meeting days here
 160 
 161 [17:15:55] <nisshh> do you mean here or the forums?
 162 
 163 [17:16:06] <Mkaysi> Or both?
 164 
 165 [17:16:12] <hakimsheriff> Mkaysi: last time it was just becouse the meeting was cnacelled
 166 
 167 [17:16:22] <zkriesse> You guys all sit and talk about "We need a project!" Or the usual, "We need a goal/direction etc' but you NEVER EVER start any discussions
 168 
 169 [17:16:46] <zkriesse> I mean seriously, do I have to be here 24/7 to hold your collective hands and start topics of discussion?
 170 
 171 [17:16:56] <hakimsheriff> Because we have no specific idea
 172 
 173 [17:17:08] <cprofitt> 0/
 174 
 175 [17:17:14] <nisshh> hakimsheriff, have you read the 3 points on the main wiki page?
 176 
 177 [17:17:17] <Mkaysi> Actually discussions happen when you aren't here ,but not very ofren.
 178 
 179 [17:17:23] <nisshh> cprofitt, hello
 180 
 181 [17:17:56] <hakimsheriff> Giving other young Ubuntu users support in a friendly peer environment. Helping in Mainstream Ubuntu teams and Contributing to the Ubuntu Community! Helping young people who wish to be devs through their "baby"-steps.
 182 
 183 [17:18:02] <JoeMaverickSett> hello cprofitt :)
 184 
 185 [17:18:19] <nisshh> hakimsheriff, thats what this team is for
 186 
 187 [17:18:55] <nisshh> zkriesse, anything else to say on that topic?
 188 
 189 [17:19:12] <zkriesse> I'm trying to word my sentences carefully here
 190 
 191 [17:19:42] <nisshh> ok
 192 
 193 [17:20:33] <zkriesse> Ok, so....why is it nothing get's started here
 194 
 195 [17:20:53] <zkriesse> I don't see any project ideas being suggested either here or that forum thingy off in lala land
 196 
 197 [17:22:13] <AlanBell> zkriesse: I have to go cook dinner now, I will read the minutes and see if I can make some suggestions for the team
 198 
 199 [17:22:34] <zkriesse> AlanBell: Ok
 200 
 201 [17:22:41] <zkriesse> #chair cprofitt
 202 
 203 [17:22:41] <meetingology> Current chairs: cprofitt zkriesse
 204 
 205 [17:22:51] <cprofitt> hello all
 206 
 207 [17:22:58] <zkriesse> Guys Im also letting cprofitt help me out here
 208 
 209 [17:22:59] <serfus> hey cprofitt
 210 
 211 [17:23:05] <JoeMaverickSett> hello!
 212 
 213 [17:23:07] <zkriesse> Listen to his words, he is wise
 214 
 215 [17:23:10] <nisshh> 0/
 216 
 217 [17:23:10] <Mkaysi> Hi
 218 
 219 [17:23:12] <cprofitt> I came to observe and saw a bit of this issue...
 220 
 221 [17:23:45] <cprofitt> It is not always easy to find a project... but, to me, the first step in truly becoming part of the larger Ubuntu community is being willing to 'engage'
 222 
 223 [17:24:07] <cprofitt> that does not mean run around and just do things, but 'engage' with existing teams... learn what they do...
 224 
 225 [17:24:07] <nisshh> define engage?
 226 
 227 [17:24:10] <cprofitt> and then help them
 228 
 229 [17:24:23] <cprofitt> engage -- to start down a path
 230 
 231 [17:24:33] <cprofitt> you need to learn the 'culture' of the team you want to work with
 232 
 233 [17:24:36] <nisshh> ah, gotcha
 234 
 235 [17:24:36] <cprofitt> then start to help them
 236 
 237 [17:24:49] <cprofitt> it is always daunting to 'start'
 238 
 239 [17:24:58] <cprofitt> but once you get rolling it is actually pretty easy
 240 
 241 [17:25:10] <cprofitt> my assumption is that you all have varied interests
 242 
 243 [17:25:14] <cprofitt> some may want to be developers
 244 
 245 [17:25:27] <cprofitt> others may want to be documentation gurus (like zkriesse)
 246 
 247 [17:25:55] <cprofitt> and others may feel that they lack skills (like me) but really want to contribute to such a great community
 248 
 249 [17:26:23] <cprofitt> you all, as youth, have a unique perspective that 'elders' like me lack
 250 
 251 [17:26:32] <cprofitt> I lost that 30 or so years ago
 252 
 253 [17:26:50] <cprofitt> so your contribution is critical to helping Ubuntu reach other young folks
 254 
 255 [17:27:33] <cprofitt> so the key is to gather some ideas and then 'engage'
 256 
 257 [17:27:51] <cprofitt> and start to move forward - even if the first steps are small and slow
 258 
 259 [17:28:14] <cprofitt> as a question -- what is the age range for UY?
 260 
 261 [17:28:25] <zkriesse>[14 to[19/20
 262 
 263 [17:28:37] <zkriesse> We say[14 as that is the COPPA age limit
 264 
 265 [17:28:43] <zkriesse> Rather, requirment
 266 
 267 [17:28:44] <serfus> we many times discussed this, i think some of us are even more then that
 268 
 269 [17:28:47] <cprofitt> ok
 270 
 271 [17:28:48] <cprofitt> COPPA?
 272 
 273 [17:28:49] <Mkaysi> Last time when I checked it was[13-21.
 274 
 275 [17:28:59] <zkriesse> Or something similiar to that cprofitt
 276 
 277 [17:29:10] <cprofitt> alright... so[13/14 - 21
 278 
 279 [17:29:15] <zkriesse> cprofitt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Online_Protection_Act
 280 
 281 [17:29:16] <serfus> let's say, we are what you would call teenagers
 282 
 283 [17:29:18] <cprofitt> basically HS to University age
 284 
 285 [17:29:41] <cprofitt> well I am 44
 286 
 287 [17:29:54] <cprofitt> I have three children... all of whom are younger than that
 288 
 289 [17:29:55] <zkriesse> cprofitt: Ah but you qualify for the UY council
 290 
 291 [17:30:02] <cprofitt> and they all use Ubuntu
 292 
 293 [17:30:05] <Mkaysi> That what serfus said means that it's[13-19 thir*teen* - nine*teen
 294 
 295 [17:30:06] <Mkaysi> *
 296 
 297 [17:30:12] <zkriesse> But that his neither here nor there
 298 
 299 [17:30:17] <cprofitt> so I hope to see this group flourish so that when they are old enough they can join
 300 
 301 [17:30:37] <zkriesse> That's the idea
 302 
 303 [17:30:48] <cprofitt> the first glaring thing I have seen... as a lead loco contact
 304 
 305 [17:31:12] <cprofitt> is that the[13 to[16 crowd usually is not allowed to participate in local events
 306 
 307 [17:31:27] <cprofitt> parents are nervous about letting their children consort with Linux users
 308 
 309 [17:31:31] <serfus> (i am a[16 years old loco contact)
 310 
 311 [17:31:34] <cprofitt> well... and we meet in some odd places
 312 
 313 [17:31:39] <zkriesse> Yeah us evil loco people
 314 
 315 [17:31:51] <cprofitt> so one project you guys could take on that would involve
 316 
 317 [17:32:30] <cprofitt> producing special events that were on-line for UY that line up with the global jam, launch party, etc
 318 
 319 [17:32:38] <cprofitt> not sure what you all think...
 320 
 321 [17:33:06] <cprofitt> but putting together something like that could help build membership for you
 322 
 323 [17:33:11] <Mkaysi> That would be very hard in Finland.
 324 
 325 [17:33:16] <cprofitt> and give you something to work on
 326 
 327 [17:33:22] <cprofitt> Mkaysi: why?
 328 
 329 [17:33:33] <cprofitt> It would not be local, but on-line
 330 
 331 [17:33:43] <Mkaysi> cprofitt: If I have understood correctly, Ubuntu Yout... Ah, ok
 332 
 333 [17:33:55] <cprofitt> have UY hold an on-line event
 334 
 335 [17:34:07] <cprofitt> with people willing to celebrate the launch together
 336 
 337 [17:34:16] <nisshh> cprofitt, i have some experience running online events through my loco (australia) i think we could (as a team) do that sort of thing
 338 
 339 [17:34:19] <cprofitt> share screenshots of their[11.04 setups, issues with upgrading etc
 340 
 341 [17:34:48] <cprofitt> for the global jam -- arrange to have some sessions by bug-control gurus that would be specifically for UY
 342 
 343 [17:35:00] <cprofitt> to go over how to participate in bug-control
 344 
 345 [17:35:16] <cprofitt> build a team for tracking the bugs you guys triage
 346 
 347 [17:35:53] <nisshh> cprofitt, what do you think about the team having a mentoring program (similar to the bugsquads old one)
 348 
 349 [17:36:08] <cprofitt> you could form a testing sub team and work with qa
 350 
 351 [17:36:31] <cprofitt> nisshh: I think it would be a good idea -- the first step is getting some UY folks as members of bug-control that are really familiar with the process
 352 
 353 [17:36:40] <cprofitt> then mentor other UY members on the process
 354 
 355 [17:36:46] <cprofitt> and work to getting them bug-control
 356 
 357 [17:36:47] <zkriesse> Guys do keep in mind...I'm just the lead...think of me like a shephard...
 358 
 359 [17:37:11] <zkriesse> YOu guys want to go a certain direction? Ok that's great...I'll just walk along side to make sure you're safe
 360 
 361 [17:37:33] <cprofitt> zkriesse: +1
 362 
 363 [17:37:40] <cprofitt> I am willing to get pinged for guidance too
 364 
 365 [17:37:42] <nisshh> cprofitt, im thinking broader than that, im thinking we mentor any youth who wants to participate in any aspect on Ubuntu development
 366 
 367 [17:37:56] <cprofitt> nisshh: I agree... make all the mentor teams you want
 368 
 369 [17:38:16] <cprofitt> I would suggest building one at a time so you guys do not get overwhelmed
 370 
 371 [17:38:19] <zkriesse> It's just I'm not a "youth" anymore...I'm an adult....it's up to you guys to make the "Youth" part of this team come to life
 372 
 373 [17:38:36] <zkriesse> cprofitt: Agreed
 374 
 375 [17:38:41] <nisshh> im in a similar boat to zkriesse, im also an adult
 376 
 377 [17:38:55] <cprofitt> and I think you guys would get a lot of 'free' pub by participating in the global jam
 378 
 379 [17:39:06] <zkriesse> Guys, I will be afk for just a few
 380 
 381 [17:39:09] <cprofitt> please -- all of you feel free to ping me at any time
 382 
 383 [17:39:26] <zkriesse> I have to use the restroom and head upstairs to watch my bro....give me a few minutes and I'll be on the netbook
 384 
 385 [17:39:26] <cprofitt> my wife just came home with lunch and the kids are hungry as heck
 386 
 387 [17:39:46] <zkriesse> cprofitt: Ok thanks cprofitt ... I'd like to have a pm with you later too
 388 
 389 [17:39:58] <cprofitt> you all have a great idea -- and just need to get the ball rolling!!
 390 
 391 [17:39:59] <nisshh> cprofitt, thanks for the words of wisdom
 392 
 393 [17:40:04] <cprofitt> thanks nisshh
 394 
 395 [17:40:06] <zkriesse> Ok, back sooon guys
 396 
 397 [17:40:09] <cprofitt> zkriesse: sounds good...
 398 
 399 [17:40:16] <cprofitt> I will be back shortly after lunch
 400 
 401 [17:40:27] <nisshh> ok
 402 
 403 [17:40:36] <JoeMaverickSett> cprofitt: have a great lunch and thanks for the words of wisdom. :)
 404 
 405 [17:40:39] <zkriesse> Just give me a few to get set up upstairs guys then I'll be back
 406 
 407 [17:40:59] <JoeMaverickSett> zkriesse: time your time.
 408 
 409 [17:41:11] <nisshh> ok, guys, shall we brainstorm some idea's while zkriesse is afk?
 410 
 411 [17:41:17] <JoeMaverickSett> sure.
 412 
 413 [17:41:39] <nisshh> i for one, really want to get this mentoring program up and running
 414 
 415 [17:41:44] <nisshh> but we need mentor's
 416 
 417 [17:41:56] <zkriesse> NO making any hard core plans though!
 418 
 419 [17:41:59] <JoeMaverickSett> so..this talk had me motivated to do some bug triaging :)
 420 
 421 [17:42:01] <zkriesse> I'd like to be here for that
 422 
 423 [17:42:04] <zkriesse> :D
 424 
 425 [17:42:05] <zkriesse> back soon
 426 
 427 [17:42:12] <nisshh> zkriesse, hey, your just the shepherd :)
 428 
 429 [17:42:20 * JoeMaverickSett is a sheep. :D
 430 
 431 [17:42:28] <serfus> thanks cprofitt
 432 
 433 [17:42:45 * Mkaysi thought that JoeMaverickSett is a penguin :P
 434 
 435 [17:42:48] <nisshh> JoeMaverickSett, we could run a weekend of talks and such on IRC for that maybe?
 436 
 437 [17:43:05] <JoeMaverickSett> nisshh: yeah. sure.
 438 
 439 [17:43:16] <nisshh> serfus, do you have any ideas?
 440 
 441 [17:43:25] <JoeMaverickSett> i'm trying to find more time to have my schedule packed. :D
 442 
 443 [17:43:27] <nisshh> CensoredBiscuit, Mkaysi, anyone else?
 444 
 445 [17:43:32] <JoeMaverickSett> s/time/work
 446 
 447 [17:43:41] <nisshh> heh
 448 
 449 [17:43:51] <serfus> i have always thought that it's bad to separate ourself from the community
 450 
 451 [17:43:51] <Mkaysi> But are those channels being logged?
 452 
 453 [17:43:57] <nisshh> i also want to get the word out there to the community about our team
 454 
 455 [17:43:59] <CensoredBiscuit> I'm sorry I got sidetracked, broke my  machine
 456 
 457 [17:44:19] <nisshh> Mkaysi, what are you on about?
 458 
 459 [17:44:42] <serfus> what i mean is, why to have a great session only for this team, when you can have it for the whole community at -classroom
 460 
 461 [17:44:48] <Mkaysi> Aren't we talking about weekend talks?
 462 
 463 [17:45:02] <nisshh> serfus, i never said we couldnt, i just said it should be run by the team
 464 
 465 [17:45:21] <serfus> or to have a only youth bugsquad.. it's a waste of resources
 466 
 467 [17:45:36] <nisshh> serfus, you misunderstand me
 468 
 469 [17:45:40] <serfus> okay, but we need to keep that in mind
 470 
 471 [17:45:52] <hakimsheriff> sorry, I;m back, I got distracted
 472 
 473 [17:45:54] <nisshh> what i meant by that was when i was referring to the mentor program
 474 
 475 [17:46:33] <serfus> i think that a mentor program would be more then great
 476 
 477 [17:46:36] <serfus> i am all for that
 478 
 479 [17:46:57] <serfus> in my opinion, it's one of the best things we can do as a team
 480 
 481 [17:47:02] <nisshh> serfus, the general idea is, youths join the youth team, they get mentored if they wish, they learn about any team they wish, etc
 482 
 483 [17:47:12] <serfus> yup
 484 
 485 [17:47:37] <nisshh> so i was never talking about sub teams of other teams
 486 
 487 [17:47:47] <nisshh> cprofitt just worded it that way
 488 
 489 [17:48:30] <serfus> that what i meant earlier
 490 
 491 [17:48:35] <nisshh> ah ok
 492 
 493 [17:48:41] <serfus> when i said it's a stop
 494 
 495 [17:49:09] <serfus> not a pit stop as zach understood
 496 
 497 [17:49:25] <JackyAlcine> o.O
 498 
 499 [17:49:26] <serfus> heck, i would like to be mentored myself
 500 
 501 [17:49:33] <serfus> JackyAlcine, we are in a meeting
 502 
 503 [17:49:42] <serfus> JackyAlcine, join when you can
 504 
 505 [17:49:50] <nisshh> serfus, oh ok
 506 
 507 [17:50:07] <JackyAlcine> in ubuntu meeting, no?
 508 
 509 [17:50:24] <serfus> JackyAlcine, here, because there was no show up
 510 
 511 [17:50:27] <nisshh> well, we will be talking about the mentoring program when zkriesse gets back in a minute, but im setting up some pages on the wiki for it now
 512 
 513 [17:50:27] <JackyAlcine> =/
 514 
 515 [17:50:47] <nisshh> JackyAlcine, your about the 8th person to show up
 516 
 517 [17:51:11] <serfus> JackyAlcine, we were only 4 people, so it was a bit shame to take -meeting
 518 
 519 [17:51:22] <hakimsheriff> only 4!
 520 
 521 [17:51:29] <hakimsheriff> it felt like more people
 522 
 523 [17:51:38] <serfus> hakimsheriff, now we are more
 524 
 525 [17:51:53] <JackyAlcine> Well, what's the current topic?
 526 
 527 [17:52:17] <serfus> nisshh, i myself would have liked to mentor, but i don't have any sector
 528 
 529 [17:52:19] <nisshh> JackyAlcine, we are brainstorming idea's while waiting for zkriesse to come back
 530 
 531 [17:52:28] <JackyAlcine> Okay
 532 
 533 [17:52:36] <JackyAlcine> Ah, game night >:)
 534 
 535 [17:52:38] <serfus> maybe except for the community
 536 
 537 [17:52:45] <nisshh> serfus, yeah, i want to mentor as well, but dont have the same sort of experience as zkriesse
 538 
 539 [17:53:08] <nisshh> but im still going to try it
 540 
 541 [17:53:14] <Mkaysi> JackyAlcine: We were talking about weekend chats or something, but that is also good idea. (+1)
 542 
 543 [17:53:24] <JackyAlcine> What kind of mentoring were you looking at, nisshh ?
 544 
 545 [17:53:35] <serfus> JackyAlcine, i think any kind we can offer
 546 
 547 [17:53:38] <nisshh> JackyAlcine, good idea, zkriesse was organising an Urban Terror server
 548 
 549 [17:53:40] <hakimsheriff> I want to mentor, but nobody want a[13 year old mentor
 550 
 551 [17:53:50] <serfus> all we need is good mentors
 552 
 553 [17:53:54] <nisshh> JackyAlcine, the mentoring program we are setting up for you guys :)
 554 
 555 [17:54:00] <cprofitt> hakimsheriff: why tell anyone you are[13?
 556 
 557 [17:54:11] <serfus> hakimsheriff, it's not about age, it's about knowledge
 558 
 559 [17:54:13 * JackyAlcine didn't notice cprofitt, lol
 560 
 561 [17:54:17] <nisshh> hakimsheriff, unless zkriesse thinks only council members can mentor, im sure you can
 562 
 563 [17:54:22] <JackyAlcine> serfus, +1
 564 
 565 [17:54:26] <zkriesse> ok bakc
 566 
 567 [17:54:30] <nisshh> JackyAlcine, he gave us a wisdom chat
 568 
 569 [17:54:31] <zkriesse> Just reading the scroolback
 570 
 571 [17:54:38] <JackyAlcine> and I missed it! >_<
 572 
 573 [17:54:50] <zkriesse> nisshh: NO urban terror server btw
 574 
 575 [17:54:51] <nisshh> JackyAlcine, its ok, itll be in the meeting logs
 576 
 577 [17:54:57] <serfus> hakimsheriff, if you are a great dev you can certainly mentor, with no regard to age
 578 
 579 [17:54:58] <nisshh> zkriesse, awwww :(
 580 
 581 [17:55:13] <hakimsheriff> well... I am not really a dev
 582 
 583 [17:55:17] <zkriesse> nisshh: Yeahsorry
 584 
 585 [17:55:26] <serfus> it was just an example
 586 
 587 [17:55:30] <nisshh> zkriesse, its ok, it was a bit of a longshot i suppose
 588 
 589 [17:55:31] <Mkaysi> nisshh: That was said at (unused) forums.
 590 
 591 [17:55:39] <hakimsheriff> ahh... okay
 592 
 593 [17:55:39] <nisshh> Mkaysi, i knpw
 594 
 595 [17:55:40] <nisshh> know
 596 
 597 [17:55:56] <JackyAlcine> =/
 598 
 599 [17:56:53] <nisshh> zkriesse, anyway, what do you wish to talk about next?
 600 
 601 [17:56:57] <nisshh> more yelling?
 602 
 603 [17:57:01] <nisshh> :)
 604 
 605 [17:57:08] <zkriesse> nisshh: No I'm calm now
 606 
 607 [17:57:13] <serfus> i think we had enough :P
 608 
 609 [17:57:15] <zkriesse> I would love to have more mentors
 610 
 611 [17:57:42] <hakimsheriff> What are the fields to mentor inÉ
 612 
 613 [17:57:54] <hakimsheriff> sorry my keyboard is messed up
 614 
 615 [17:58:04] <zkriesse> Side note: If you wish to mentor in a particulre area please pm me after the meeting or jon #ubuntu-youth-council and talk to me
 616 
 617 [17:58:15] <cprofitt> serfus: one reason to have UY focused sessions is because UY members may have unique restrictions that adults do not
 618 
 619 [17:58:20] <cprofitt> but sharing a session is ok as well
 620 
 621 [17:58:31] <nisshh> zkriesse, i am happy to give it a shot, and so is hakimsheriff from what he said
 622 
 623 [17:58:52] <serfus> how about [action] serfus to look for good mentors ?
 624 
 625 [17:59:02] <cprofitt> and you would not have a sep. bug squad... just a group that contributes to bug-control they way loco teams do
 626 
 627 [17:59:11] <zkriesse> serfus: I'd rather I talk to them dude, but thanks
 628 
 629 [17:59:14] <hakimsheriff> I want to mentor, if possible<
 630 
 631 [17:59:46] <Mkaysi> hakimsheriff: Why it wouldn't be possible? I think that there are shortage of mentors :)
 632 
 633 [17:59:46] <serfus> zkriesse, i meant to bring them to you (at -youth-council0
 634 
 635 [18:00:03] <zkriesse> serfus: Lol ok
 636 
 637 [18:00:11] <serfus> ;p
 638 
 639 [18:00:12] <nisshh> cprofitt, well, i was thinking more along the lines of: person joins the youth team, person asks for a mentor, mentor helps that person get aquainted with the area/team they want
 640 
 641 [18:00:22] <cprofitt> nisshh: +1
 642 
 643 [18:00:29] <cprofitt> for mentoring that is how it should work
 644 
 645 [18:00:36] <nisshh> agreed
 646 
 647 [18:00:38] <zkriesse> nisshh: Which has been my hope since I took over UY
 648 
 649 [18:00:42] <patrickmw> hello, I think I can help
 650 
 651 [18:00:43] <serfus> cprofitt, that good, i just wanted to highlight that we need to keep in mind
 652 
 653 [18:00:50] <nisshh> zkriesse, lets get it started then! :)
 654 
 655 [18:00:54] <zkriesse> patrickmw: Ah, ntroduce yourself then
 656 
 657 [18:01:03] <patrickmw> I am an Ubuntu Member and Canonical employee
 658 
 659 [18:01:11] <nisshh> o.0
 660 
 661 [18:01:22] <patrickmw> I've been watching ;)
 662 
 663 [18:01:30] <serfus> patrickmw, guess you are not a youth, right? :)
 664 
 665 [18:01:36] <JoeMaverickSett> zkriesse: I think mentors should be selected by the -youth-council?
 666 
 667 [18:01:37] <zkriesse> patrickmw: Oh? Well your hostname doesn't show said status
 668 
 669 [18:01:40] <patrickmw> No, I am not hehe
 670 
 671 [18:01:40] <zkriesse> hoeYes
 672 
 673 [18:01:49] <zkriesse> JoeMaverickSett: yes
 674 
 675 [18:01:54] <zkriesse> argh, dang netbook
 676 
 677 [18:02:09] <patrickmw> The UY wiki page is great!
 678 
 679 [18:02:44] <patrickmw> I will send messages to the internal mailing lists and Ubuntu mailing lists about your search for mentors
 680 
 681 [18:02:49] <zkriesse> patrickmw: Just because of "security" can you prove your listed qualifications? Of being an Ubuntu Member and Canonical emplyee
 682 
 683 [18:03:01] <zkriesse> patrickmw: Please don't just yet
 684 
 685 [18:03:24] <zkriesse> patrickmw: We are going internal with our search atm if I'm not mistaken nisshh ?
 686 
 687 [18:03:40] <nisshh> zkriesse, thats what i thought, yes
 688 
 689 [18:05:01] <JoeMaverickSett> from what I see people love to contribute in mentoring, but their mentoring skills should be recognised by the -council or the Ubuntu community (such as Ubuntu Beginners for example).
 690 
 691 [18:05:16] <nisshh> JoeMaverickSett, agreed
 692 
 693 [18:05:34] <nisshh> JoeMaverickSett, we should ensure good quality mentoring
 694 
 695 [18:05:55] <JoeMaverickSett> nisshh: yes.
 696 
 697 [18:06:06] <serfus> with no doubt
 698 
 699 [18:06:10] <cprofitt> serfus: this is what I was talking about in working at UY
 700 
 701 [18:06:12] <cprofitt> http://reports.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/five-a-day/#Bug-Jam-statistics
 702 
 703 [18:06:24] <cprofitt> the stats track 'team' and 'individual' contributions
 704 
 705 [18:06:25] <zkriesse> nisshh: Agreed
 706 
 707 [18:06:32] <cprofitt> no real need for a sep. team
 708 
 709 [18:06:32] <zkriesse> cprofitt: Do you not agree with that?
 710 
 711 [18:06:43] <cprofitt> about mentors being approved?
 712 
 713 [18:06:50] <zkriesse> Ja
 714 
 715 [18:06:55] <cprofitt> yes... it was an issue for the UBT
 716 
 717 [18:06:58] <serfus> cprofitt, understood
 718 
 719 [18:07:10] <cprofitt> we had other teams questioning the 'expertise' of our mentors
 720 
 721 [18:07:17] <cprofitt> the very teams we were mentoring for in some cases
 722 
 723 [18:07:22] <cprofitt> and that caused a disconnect
 724 
 725 [18:07:40] <cprofitt> so I would ensure your mentors are approved -- with bug-control that is easy
 726 
 727 [18:07:44] <zkriesse> Ok
 728 
 729 [18:07:51] <cprofitt> if they are a bug-control team member the team feels they are able to mentor
 730 
 731 [18:07:58] <cprofitt> with other teams that may or may not be so easy
 732 
 733 [18:08:02] <nisshh> +1
 734 
 735 [18:08:04] <JoeMaverickSett> +1
 736 
 737 [18:08:12] <serfus> good point indeed
 738 
 739 [18:08:18] <zkriesse> That's a great point
 740 
 741 [18:08:26] <zkriesse> Which is why it shall be implemented
 742 
 743 [18:08:39] <zkriesse> nisshh: Mark that down on your mentoring wiki page plz
 744 
 745 [18:08:54] <serfus> the mentor should first be recognized by the team that is responsible for his area
 746 
 747 [18:09:00] <nisshh> zkriesse, yep, ill get to it right after the meeting
 748 
 749 [18:09:23] <zkriesse> So, if you wish to mentor I'm going to ask that you be a member of the team that works in the area you wish to mentor here in, and also a testimonia would be good
 750 
 751 [18:09:38] <skfin> Oh, sorry that I'm late, I'm so sorry
 752 
 753 [18:09:46] <nisshh> skfin, its cool
 754 
 755 [18:09:52] <nisshh> the meeting is still on
 756 
 757 [18:09:54] <zkriesse> The Doc/Wiki team should be easy as I'm part of the wiki/doc admin team :D
 758 
 759 [18:10:02] <skfin> I havent slept for 38 hours so i kinda fell asleep
 760 
 761 [18:10:11] <kvarley> zkriesse is the wikigod :)
 762 
 763 [18:10:19] <zkriesse> kvarley: Heh
 764 
 765 [18:10:23] <zkriesse> Not by far
 766 
 767 [18:10:26 * JoeMaverickSett worships zkriesse for wiki(s) ;)
 768 
 769 [18:10:32] <nisshh> zkriesse, it could be difficult for me, im only really on the bugsquad (not bug-control) as far as the official ubuntu teams go
 770 
 771 [18:10:36] <zkriesse> hahaha
 772 
 773 [18:10:38 * jasono Wondering if he's late?
 774 
 775 [18:10:50] <zkriesse> jasono: a bit :D
 776 
 777 [18:10:58] <zkriesse> jasono: No worries though
 778 
 779 [18:11:02] <serfus> jasono, by an hour.. :P
 780 
 781 [18:11:04] <nisshh> zkriesse, i contribute to mostly non-ubuntu teams/projects see
 782 
 783 [18:11:12] <jasono> :( Okey, thanks. Forgive me.
 784 
 785 [18:11:38] <zkriesse> jasono: It's ok lol
 786 
 787 [18:11:39] <nisshh> zkriesse, well, bugsquad and this one ;)
 788 
 789 [18:11:55] <zkriesse> You guys realize that this is the longest AND producitve meeting we've had?
 790 
 791 [18:12:03] <nisshh> yes, hehe
 792 
 793 [18:12:12] <nisshh> which is a disturbing fact
 794 
 795 [18:12:16] <serfus> sure is
 796 
 797 [18:12:17] <zkriesse> nisshh: Then get on it dude
 798 
 799 [18:12:20] <skfin> Im glad that this is long meeting, otherwise I would have missed it
 800 
 801 [18:12:27] <zkriesse> skfin: :D
 802 
 803 [18:12:40] <zkriesse> Ok, so, lemme makre this down here
 804 
 805 [18:12:44] <nisshh> zkriesse, yeah, ill work on it, i said difficult, not impossible
 806 
 807 [18:13:23] <zkriesse> #action nisshh To set up a wik page on Ubuntu Youth wikk detailing the aspects of the Mentoring project
 808 
 809 [18:13:23 * meetingology nisshh To set up a wik page on Ubuntu Youth wikk detailing the aspects of the Mentoring project
 810 
 811 [18:13:40] <serfus> i think we should focus now on the mentoring project , to get it to kick ass and just then to move on
 812 
 813 [18:14:00] <nisshh> serfus, i agree somewhat
 814 
 815 [18:14:04] <zkriesse> #agreed
 816 
 817 [18:14:09] <nisshh> heh
 818 
 819 [18:14:10] <JoeMaverickSett> :o
 820 
 821 [18:14:15] <JoeMaverickSett> :D
 822 
 823 [18:14:16] <serfus> i will stay in contact with nisshh and help where i can
 824 
 825 [18:14:27] <nisshh> serfus, ok, sounds good
 826 
 827 [18:14:43] <zkriesse> #action serfus to help nisshh when he can
 828 
 829 [18:14:43 * meetingology serfus to help nisshh when he can
 830 
 831 [18:14:52] <JoeMaverickSett> nisshh: it seems you & me are on the same side of the world, so just HIT ME!! :D
 832 
 833 [18:15:02] <nisshh> JoeMaverickSett, hehe
 834 
 835 [18:15:12] <JoeMaverickSett> :D
 836 
 837 [18:15:22] <nisshh> zkriesse, anything else to add?
 838 
 839 [18:15:23] <serfus> nisshh, BTW, you are an ubuntu member, which is the main way to get recognized by the community
 840 
 841 [18:15:30] <JoeMaverickSett> yup.
 842 
 843 [18:15:52] <nisshh> serfus, thats true, but when i became an Ubuntu member, it wasnt for contributing directly to Ubuntu
 844 
 845 [18:16:00] <serfus> (regarding when you said you are not an approved member of any teams)
 846 
 847 [18:16:01] <zkriesse> #action zkriesse To interview potention mentors and discuss with them their wishes/interests/requirements needed
 848 
 849 [18:16:01 * meetingology zkriesse To interview potention mentors and discuss with them their wishes/interests/requirements needed
 850 
 851 [18:16:37] <serfus> nisshh, ya, i read you blog post today :P
 852 
 853 [18:16:47] <nisshh> zkriesse, ill set up a wiki page where people who wish to be mentee's can add their names so you know who to talk to
 854 
 855 [18:16:59] <zkriesse> nisshh: Thanks
 856 
 857 [18:17:06] <nisshh> np
 858 
 859 [18:17:17] <zkriesse> #action nisshh and zkriesse to collaborate on a Wiki page for potential mentors/mentee's
 860 
 861 [18:17:17 * meetingology nisshh and zkriesse to collaborate on a Wiki page for potential mentors/mentee's
 862 
 863 [18:17:28] <zkriesse> nisshh: We can work on that together ina  bit
 864 
 865 [18:17:31] <nisshh> ok
 866 
 867 [18:17:48] <nisshh> luckily its only 2am and im not tired :)
 868 
 869 [18:17:55] <JoeMaverickSett> :D
 870 
 871 [18:18:20] <zkriesse> Ok so is that it for ow?
 872 
 873 [18:18:24] <zkriesse> "now"
 874 
 875 [18:18:27] <serfus> unluckily i have to study for exam :(
 876 
 877 [18:18:34] <JoeMaverickSett> :(
 878 
 879 [18:18:34] <skfin> nisshh: Luckily I'm not tired either
 880 
 881 [18:18:35] <serfus> zkriesse, i think so
 882 
 883 [18:18:36] <zkriesse> Just bust out a mentor program and get it kicing ass?
 884 
 885 [18:19:09] <zkriesse> OK then
 886 
 887 [18:19:22] <zkriesse> Thanks all for attending and let's actually get going on this aye?
 888 
 889 [18:19:29] <zkriesse> #endmeeting

UbuntuYouth/Meetings/20110312 (last edited 2011-03-13 03:03:42 by zkriesse)