Table of Contents
We’re preparing Lubuntu 15.04, Vivid Vervet, for distribution in April 2015. With this early Alpha pre-release, you can see what we are trying out in preparation for our next version. We have some interesting things happening, so read on for highlights and information.
NOTE: This is an alpha pre-release. Lubuntu Pre-releases are NOT recommended for:
- Regular users who are not aware of pre-release issues
- Anyone who needs a stable system
- Anyone uncomfortable running a possibly frequently broken system
- Anyone in a production environment with data or workflows that need to be reliable
Lubuntu Pre-releases ARE recommended for:
- Regular users who want to help us test by finding, reporting, and/or fixing bugs
- Lubuntu developers
Getting Lubuntu 15.04 Alpha 1
Download a Disk Image
Instructions for burning the image to a DVD or USB flash drive can be found on the Burning ISO Howto.
Alpha 1 Highlights
- LXQt is still in development, so Vivid Vervet is another bug fix release.
The Alpha 1 Vivid Unicorn snapshot includes the 3.16.0-28.38 Ubuntu Linux kernel which is based on the the upstream v3.16 Linux kernel. The 3.15 release includes increased ARM support and improved drivers (Radeon, Intel, and Nvidia graphics), to name a few; additional highlights are described here.
Notification dialogs have striped background: 1362555
Lubuntu Desktop Installer
No option to install alongside a btrfs partition: 1403624
Install alongside offers to install to USB boot media instead of hard drive: 1403620
Lubuntu Alternate Installer
Guided partitioning "max" gives minimum instead: 1163908
Development of Lubuntu 15.04, the Vivid Vervet is ongoing and bugs are fixed every day. Before reporting bugs, please ensure your system is up to date. For verifying installation related bugs, updated disk images are available from Daily bootable images for standard PCs/laptops/netbooks.
Please feel free to contact us with feedback.