Launchpad project: https://launchpad.net/weather-indicator
Package Name: indicator-weather
Natty Narwhal doesn't support the Gnome Weather applet, so an indicator replacement is required. Enter: indicator-weather.
- Shows the current weather conditions and temperature in the panel
- Shows more information about the current weather in the indicator's menu
- Optionally shows weather conditions and temperatures at several other locations
- Three levels of notification - none, on weather change, on severe condition weather change
indicator-weather is available from the Ubuntu repositories. But the version in the repositories is not updated very often. To get the latest features and bugfixes, add our stable PPA: ppa:weather-indicator-team/ppa . More details about the PPA are available here.
Known regressions with PPA version:
Differences between PPA (11.05.31) and Ubuntu repo (11.04.10+repack-0ubuntu2):
- Using dconf to store settings instead of desktopcouch - less crashes, no excessive CPU usage
- Fixed bug preventing some users from adding their cities
- Fixed forecast and Google icons
- Fix for incorrect sunrise/sunset in some locations (requires manually deleting and re-adding affected locations)
Right now, we're working on moving from pure Python to a Python/Vala combination, which will allow the indicator to have a very swish menu.
When this lands, it will bring:
- Configurable menu - see only the info you want to see
- "Feels like" temperatures - Heat Index, Wind Chill, Humidex and Apparent Temperature
- Guess your location
- 3 day forecasts in the menu
In the long-term forecast:
- Use Weather Underground data
- Show radar maps
Weather Indicator uses the Indicator framework and Python. Weather data is obtained from Yahoo or Google, and the Google Weather API is used for forecasts.