Meeting Info

Meetings are held every 4th Tuesday of each month at 20:30 SAST (UTC+2) and are pretty informal. Anyone is free to join in and give comments and suggestions, its even encouraged. Please introduce yourself to the bot at the start of the meeting so he can take note of all members present as follows:




Minutes from Meeting about Ubuntu Monthly Meeting - May 2015
Convened at 2015-05-26 18:46:24.660206 by superfly
in #ubuntu-za on freenode

[18:46:24] STARTED (superfly)
[18:49:03] ACCEPTED: Minutes of the previous meeting (superfly)
[19:21:20] TOPIC: Events (inetpro)
[19:22:44] AGREED: Set up "Ubuntu in the wild" section on website and promote it (superfly)
[19:24:38] AGREED: Plan on Trello (superfly)
[19:26:10] AGREED: We need to rethink our goals and reasons for being here (superfly)
[19:26:29] AGREED: we also need volunteers (superfly)
[19:28:20] TOPIC: Events (superfly)
[19:37:22] AGREED: Get folks to mail the list about events like the JoziLUG meetup (superfly)
[19:40:54] AGREED: pieter2627 to send a mail about reposting LUG meetings to list (superfly)
[19:47:54] AGREED: superfly to find out more about what an Ubuntu Hour is supposed to be, and mail the list about it (superfly)
[19:57:49] AGREED: inetpro will talk to kmf about SFD2015 (superfly)
[19:58:48] TOPIC: Miscellaneous (superfly)
[20:02:23] AGREED: superfly to chat to SubOracle about https redirect of ubuntu-africa.info (superfly)
[20:02:41] AGREED: superfly to fix www redirect (superfly)
[20:07:25] AGREED: Mopkop to mail list about mission, vision, etc (superfly)
[20:08:29] AGREED: inetpro to chair next meeting (superfly)
[20:08:48] ENDED (superfly)


* MaNI
* Karl Fischer (kmf)
* georgelappies
* Pieter Engelbrecht (pieter2627)
* Greg Eames (magespawn)
* kulelu88
* Leon Marincowitz (Lionthinker)
* stickyboy
* TinuvaMac
* SilverCode
* Miles Sharpe (Kilos)
* Raoul Snyman (superfly)
* elacheche_anis
* Ashton van Niekerk (Mopkop)
* AndChat|453921
* wilsonmaravilha
* Vincent Swart (Vince-0)
* Bradley Putzier (captine)
* Gustav H Meyer (inetpro)
* mciverza1
* andrew mac (mciverza)


[18:46:24] <superfly> Maaz: start meeting about Ubuntu Monthly Meeting - May 2015
[18:46:24] * Maaz gets out his memo-pad and cracks his knuckles
[18:46:40] <Kilos> Maaz  I am Miles Sharpe
[18:46:40] <Maaz> Kilos: Alrighty
[18:46:47] <Kilos> ty superfly  
[18:46:48] <superfly> Maaz: I am Raoul Snyman
[18:46:48] <Maaz> superfly: Okay
[18:46:54] <Mopkop> Maaz: I am Ashton van Niekerk
[18:46:54] <Maaz> Mopkop: Righto
[18:47:08] <Kilos> Mopkop  let mooi op ne
[18:47:22] <kmf> Maas: I am Karl Fischer
[18:47:27] <kmf> dammit
[18:47:32] <kmf> Maaz: I am Karl Fischer
[18:47:32] <Maaz> kmf: Sure
[18:47:37] <captine> Maaz I am Bradley Putzier
[18:47:37] <Maaz> captine: Okay
[18:47:37] <Kilos> hi Vince-0  
[18:47:51] <Vince-0> Maaz: I am Vincent Swart
[18:47:51] <Maaz> Vince-0: Sure
[18:47:52] * Mopkop puts focus-cap on.
[18:48:10] <pieter2627> Maaz: I am Pieter Engelbrecht
[18:48:10] <Maaz> pieter2627: Yessir
[18:48:34] <mciverza> Maaz: i am Amdr
[18:48:34] <Maaz> mciverza: Alrighty
[18:48:43] <Kilos> lol
[18:48:52] <superfly> I'm presuming that folks have reviewed the minutes of the previous meeting, so I'm just going to take them as accepted.
[18:49:03] <superfly> Maaz: accepted Minutes of the previous meeting
[18:49:03] <Maaz> Accepted: Minutes of the previous meeting
[18:49:11] <captine> Cool
[18:49:16] <mciverza> maaz: i am andrew mac
[18:49:16] <Maaz> mciverza: Done
[18:49:37] <superfly> Secondly, I'm going to ask a big fat WHY?
[18:50:03] <captine> Superfly??
[18:50:06] <kulelu88> burp
[18:50:12] <magespawn> Maaz I am Greg Eames
[18:50:12] <Maaz> magespawn: Okay
[18:50:14] <Kilos> hi kulelu88  
[18:50:21] <Kilos> login please
[18:50:35] <Kilos> superfly  why load shedding?
[18:50:38] <superfly> Why do we need people to sign the CoC, become members, and do the other things listed in "Plans for 2015"
[18:50:45] <kulelu88> Hello NSA, I am a pawn in your game of world domination
[18:50:47] <superfly> What's the point?
[18:51:06] <superfly> If there's no point, there's no reason to try to get people to do them.
[18:51:43] <Kilos> superfly  never mind that
[18:51:59] <Kilos> peeps will follow you
[18:52:08] <superfly> Kilos: no, I ask this in all earnest.
[18:52:17] <Kilos> pro can explain when he gets here
[18:52:35] <Kilos> lemme read it again
[18:52:50] <kulelu88> anybody enjoy american funk music?
[18:53:04] <Kilos> kulelu88  meeting time
[18:53:16] <kulelu88> oh ja. its today
[18:53:37] <superfly> Kilos: you see, if we don't have a reason for doing these things, then no one is going to want to do it.
[18:53:42] <mciverza> reason for signing CoC, imho, is that it's the first step towards contributing to Ubuntu
[18:53:55] <Kilos> i see your reasoning superfly  
[18:54:02] <superfly> Kilos: the reason Ubuntu LoCo's are losing steam is because there is no point.
[18:54:16] <superfly> They've lost the passion because they've lost the goal.
[18:54:18] <captine> I think it is just to have a more formal stamp of community membership.  We are all members of ythe greater community in terms of local channel, other projects, maybe bug reporting etc but I guess it is nice to get people to Get the official stamp.
[18:54:40] <kulelu88> it's too distro-centric. I'd prefer an OS-loco. All types of open source should be welcome
[18:54:46] <Kilos> hi Lionthinker  
[18:54:50] <Lionthinker> Hi all
[18:54:58] <Lionthinker> apologies I'm late
[18:54:59] <superfly> Kilos: you've taken on this goal of getting all the African LoCo's together. Once that's done, then what?
[18:55:00] <Mopkop> superfly: hmmm, I disagree. Its kind of an initiation ceromony - like baptism or being ordained. Also consider that the guys over at the linux foundation now have their own CoD. They got it out of necesity, because some people (most notably Linus himself) were misbehaving. Signing a CoD will hold people accountable for their misconduct. 
[18:55:32] <superfly> Mopkop: it's not necessarily about the CoC, which I totally agree with. It's the greater "meaning of things"
[18:55:45] <Kilos> superfly  im doing it so that all linux users in africa have a common channel to get and help each other
[18:55:59] <superfly> Kilos: and then what?
[18:56:08] <Mopkop> superfly: You mean like the purpose and direction of the LoCo?
[18:56:11] <Kilos> then ill be dead i think
[18:56:23] <superfly> Mopkop: yes
[18:56:37] <kulelu88> I think superfly is trying to show you guys that you need to plan a bit further ahead. Having a goal just for the sake of having 1 is a hamster-wheel exercise
[18:57:17] <Kilos> ok just think of being the only linux user in a country
[18:57:42] <Kilos> then all of a sudden there is a channel full of like minded peeps
[18:57:44] <Lionthinker> hamster-wheel exercise ***chuckle talk about changing a 6 week old!!!
[18:57:47] <superfly> Kilos: I don't want you to explain it to me, I want you to think about it and 
[18:58:08] <superfly> *and come up with goals/solutions
[18:58:23] <Kilos> lead us superfly  
[18:58:30] <Kilos> you set the goals
[18:58:45] <Mopkop> We had the same problem at Church. We were not sure what direction we should take. So the last 2 years we spent a lot of effort in defining purpose and direction of the church as well as the responsibilities. Maybe we should set up something like that for the LoCo?
[18:58:51] <kulelu88> for example. You turn linux users in Africa into a community . Then you try to lobby government to move away from closed-source software
[18:58:52] <pieter2627> so maybe the goal should be improved to be more specific for the set problem...
[18:59:07] <superfly> Kilos: I don't have goals and I don't have time to lead. It's not about me, I'm just posing the questions.
[18:59:26] <Kilos> hi wilsonmaravilha  welcome to ubuntu-za
[18:59:35] <kulelu88> or you try to get grass-roots involvement in linux through schools, recycled PCs, etc.
[18:59:41] <pieter2627> ex. rather that get more to #ubuntu-za, make the visibility and existence of it more common/open
[18:59:59] <Kilos> oh well yes that is the aim kulelu88  
[19:00:11] <wilsonmaravilha> Hi there, Kilos :) Thanks!
[19:00:35] <kulelu88> I don't want to join because calling ourselves "ubuntu africa" is too narrow-minded. We already seem to have linux user groups, so better to support them
[19:00:50] <Kilos> the aim is for everyone to used foss right?
[19:00:59] <kulelu88> not everyone
[19:01:15] <Kilos> well those who would like to
[19:01:26] <Lionthinker> [Interesting fact - do you know the Gauteng Provincial Gov uses Ubuntu?]
[19:01:37] <kulelu88> I never knew that Lionthinker 
[19:01:46] <kulelu88> I know FNB does
[19:01:49] * pieter2627 jaw dropped open
[19:02:00] <Lionthinker> Full of interesting things is Lionthinker
[19:02:05] <superfly> I've seen Ubuntu in use by Vodacom at some of their stands in Canal Walk in Cape Town.
[19:02:07] <Kilos> lol
[19:02:30] <Mopkop> Suggestion: Let's formally set up a Vision, Mission, and Goals for out LoCo we can all agree on.
[19:02:33] <superfly> That's another aspect we could really work on. Making Ubuntu more visible
[19:02:37] <mciverza> cell c, shops video displays are Linux
[19:02:45] <Kilos> and the telkom tech that came here was quite at home on my kde
[19:02:55] <superfly> Yep, those big displays in Checkers run Linux (I saw one rebooting)
[19:02:57] <mciverza> :)
[19:03:53] <kulelu88> thing about these ideas is that we always have them, but very few of us want to give enough time to see through the plans
[19:04:03] <Kilos> superfly  been thinking about the whole thing for days now, advertising is expensive though
[19:04:32] <pieter2627> we should maybe also try to magnify it being used by popular firm like does above (compile a list some time)
[19:04:52] <pieter2627> s/does/those/
[19:04:54] <superfly> kulelu88: There are some things that we can do without needing to spend huge amounts of time or money
[19:05:10] <Mopkop> Maybe we (the whole Ubuntu Community actually) should start some crowed-funding ad-campaign like they did with firefox.
[19:05:25] <superfly> kulelu88: but I agree with you. The only reason Ubuntu-Africa is going anywhere is because Kilos is seeing it through. He has the time and the motivation to do it.
[19:05:31] <superfly> I lack the time, for the most part.
[19:05:47] <Lionthinker> Has anyone got connections to Kenya and the iHubs?
[19:05:53] <georgelappies> time is a very limited resource
[19:06:00] <kulelu88> I'd be willing to be an evangelist for linux, not for ubuntu. ubuntu has canonical to spend money on marketing
[19:06:03] <superfly> Lionthinker: we can ask stickyboy
[19:06:17] <Kilos> or kenju254  
[19:06:21] <superfly> kulelu88: I'm more of a Debianite these days
[19:06:24] <mciverza> I have some Kenyan connections
[19:06:50] <mciverza> but liquid telecom has office there
[19:07:02] <Lionthinker> superfly, trying to think of a quick come back to stickyboy but gave up
[19:07:13] <superfly> haha
[19:07:48] <kulelu88> so hows about we do a grassroots effort for linux as a linux community? Small talks at schools?
[19:07:53] <Kilos> Lionthinker  stickyboy  runs servers in kenya
[19:08:04] <superfly> I was thinking of something a little smaller ;-)
[19:08:18] <superfly> What if we have a section on our site of "Ubuntu in the wild"
[19:08:20] <kulelu88> small talks under a tree? that's retro
[19:08:43] <superfly> and people can submit photos of Ubuntu (or indeed any Linux distro) that they see in public places
[19:08:45] <Kilos> sounds good superfly  
[19:08:49] <pieter2627> superfly: sa wild only or world wild
[19:09:00] <superfly> pieter2627: any, really
[19:09:03] <mciverza> Ubuntu in the wild,  with photos
[19:09:18] <Lionthinker> Ubuntu in the Veld
[19:09:29] * pieter2627 thinks it is a good idea
[19:09:29] <mciverza> primarily ZA.
[19:09:50] <SilverCode> can we submit photos of our own work in the wild running Ubuntu?
[19:10:05] <pieter2627> It can help to persuade others to adopt Ubuntu more easily
[19:10:09] <kulelu88> as long as its not pron SilverCode 
[19:10:12] <mciverza> yes
[19:10:13] <superfly> I think as long as it's kinda public, that's OK
[19:10:49] <SilverCode> well, we run roughly 10 000 advertising displays in SA on Linux, with about 50% of them Ubuntu
[19:11:10] <superfly> SilverCode: perfect
[19:11:12] <inetpro> Maaz: I am Gustav H Meyer
[19:11:12] <Maaz> inetpro: Okay
[19:11:17] <inetpro> ai!
[19:11:18] <Kilos> wb inetpro  
[19:11:31] <Kilos> what broke
[19:11:34] <inetpro> eventually I am back in full force
[19:11:36] <Lionthinker> Maaz: I am Leon Marincowitz
[19:11:36] <Maaz> Lionthinker: Done
[19:11:37] <kulelu88> SilverCode: primedia?
[19:11:39] <superfly> SilverCode: it may be a good idea just to get an A-OK
[19:11:40] <inetpro> almost
[19:11:46] <SilverCode> kulelu88: One Digital Media
[19:11:52] <superfly> from the powers that be
[19:12:05] <kulelu88> fascinating stuff
[19:12:09] <inetpro> Telkom kicked me out for roaming via Vodacom
[19:12:13] <SilverCode> superfly: you mean the powers that be of the company I work for?
[19:12:20] <Kilos> ai!
[19:12:30] <superfly> SilverCode: yeah, I'm not sure what your work politics are like
[19:12:34] <superfly> SilverCode: if you need to.
[19:12:55] <mciverza> oDm,  I saw your stuff at Wimpy
[19:13:08] * inetpro trying to catch up
[19:13:08] <inetpro> superfly: thanks for taking over
[19:13:14] <SilverCode> superfly: I'm pretty sure i can get it past my CEO
[19:13:27] <SilverCode> mciverza: If I'm not mistaken, you actually did work on our servers
[19:13:42] <kulelu88> I think it would be a greater security risk to say you are running anything windows
[19:13:49] <mciverza> you are not mistaken :)
[19:13:54] <superfly> SilverCode: it doesn't actually have to solely be Ubuntu either
[19:14:27] <superfly> mciverza: dude, we still need to get our families together sometime.
[19:14:34] <kulelu88> wimpy tvs run on linux ? ftw!
[19:14:51] <SilverCode> kulelu88: the Digital Menuboards do
[19:14:57] <SilverCode> as do the ones in KFC
[19:15:11] <SilverCode> and in Domino's
[19:15:15] <kulelu88> KFC *spits on the floor (where chicken is washed)*
[19:15:33] <SilverCode> and Spur
[19:15:42] * mciverza loves them all
[19:15:47] <Kilos> lol
[19:15:56] <kulelu88> SilverCode: what desktop OS do you guys use?
[19:16:47] <SilverCode> kulelu88: I develop on Netrunner, other guys develop on Xubuntu and Mint
[19:17:17] <SilverCode> but our actual displays run a customized Ubuntu 14.04
[19:17:21] <SilverCode> ...no, the dont
[19:17:23] <SilverCode> Ubuntu 12.04
[19:17:35] <SilverCode> new version is going to be 14.04
[19:17:46] <kulelu88> aah I'm already liking your company. 
[19:17:51] <SilverCode> oooooolllllddddd versions run on Fedora 10 to Fedora 14
[19:18:51] <inetpro> hmm... so we're just having an open discussion this evening?
[19:19:30] <Kilos> kinda the chair disappeared
[19:19:44] <kulelu88> some of these gents only show up once a month, so we gotta get to know them
[19:19:51] <mciverza1> (connecting again via browser, using kiwiirc web client)
[19:20:32] <inetpro> hmm...
[19:20:59] <inetpro> have we discussed events yet?
[19:21:05] <Kilos> nope
[19:21:07] <inetpro> sad that kmf is away now
[19:21:20] <inetpro> Maaz: topic Events
[19:21:20] <Maaz> Current Topic: Events
[19:21:24] <Kilos> yeah i wonder what happened to him
[19:21:27] <mciverza1> kmf is in pain.
[19:21:36] <superfly> Sorry, I'm back.
[19:21:40] <mciverza1> (and his kids needed assistance)
[19:21:42] <magespawn> ?
[19:22:12] <mciverza1> Maaz: tell kmf that I hope his toe feels better
[19:22:12] <Maaz> mciverza1: Got it, I'll tell kmf on freenode
[19:22:24] <superfly> inetpro: before events
[19:22:44] <superfly> Maaz: agreed Set up "Ubuntu in the wild" section on website and promote it
[19:22:44] <Maaz> Agreed: Set up "Ubuntu in the wild" section on website and promote it
[19:22:58] <mciverza1> Curious question: Hands up if you're based near the Cape Peninsula
[19:23:02] <inetpro> mciverza1: be nice to him 
[19:23:07] <superfly> o/
[19:23:11] <Kilos> superfly  can you do that to both sites please?
[19:23:16] <mciverza1> o/
[19:23:21] <superfly> Kilos: we'll see
[19:23:26] <Lionthinker> superfly, what about "Ubuntu in the Veld"
[19:23:28] <kulelu88> eeewww cape town
[19:23:40] <superfly> we first need to figure out how to do it
[19:23:57] <Kilos> you will, we know
[19:23:58] <mciverza1> SilverCode: Somerset West is close enough :)
[19:24:13] * pieter2627 would love be help with the planning
[19:24:33] <Kilos> pull pieter2627  in superfly  
[19:24:38] <superfly> Maaz: agreed Plan on Trello
[19:24:38] <Maaz> Agreed: Plan on Trello
[19:24:49] <superfly> OK, ready to move on to events?
[19:24:53] <kulelu88> does living in mitchells plain count? mciverza1 
[19:25:03] <mciverza1> fo sho.
[19:26:10] <superfly> Maaz: agreed We need to rethink our goals and reasons for being here
[19:26:10] <Maaz> Agreed: We need to rethink our goals and reasons for being here
[19:26:28] <stickyboy> #community
[19:26:29] <superfly> Maaz: agreed we also need volunteers
[19:26:29] <Maaz> Agreed: we also need volunteers
[19:26:48] <superfly> Kilos: have I missed anything?
[19:27:06] <Kilos> thats a good start superfly  
[19:27:09] * SilverCode sticks his hand up
[19:27:19] <mciverza1> o/
[19:27:28] * SilverCode wonders why his hand is in the air
[19:27:31] <Kilos> we can add on as we progress
[19:27:45] <kulelu88> armpit scratch SilverCode 
[19:27:59] * mciverza1 waves hand in air at SilverCode
[19:28:08] <superfly> OK, let's move on then
[19:28:20] <superfly> Maaz: topic Events
[19:28:20] <Maaz> Current Topic: Events
[19:28:44] <superfly> As usual, there were no events this past month.
[19:28:49] <superfly> Or were there?
[19:29:07] <kulelu88> the joburg linux user group has meetups. do those count?
[19:29:24] <superfly> kulelu88: they can
[19:29:41] <inetpro> superfly: not much no, but I hope you have inspired some to try harder with your mail the other day
[19:29:58] <kulelu88> superfly: http://www.meetup.com/Jozi-Linux-User-Group-JLUG/events/221553986/
[19:29:58] <Kilos> what mail?
[19:30:11] <mciverza1> there was a ctlug meetup too.
[19:30:31] <Kilos> Vince-0  any news from dbnlug
[19:30:32] <kulelu88> is there literally nobody from the JLUG here?
[19:30:46] <pieter2627> Kilos: the 'girl' i think
[19:30:59] <Vince-0> there is none, very little movement on the mail lists too
[19:31:13] <Kilos> oh my
[19:31:18] <Kilos> pieter2627  ?
[19:31:24] <pieter2627> the mail
[19:31:27] <Kilos> i missed something
[19:31:39] <pieter2627> you asked which mail
[19:31:43] <Kilos> oh
[19:32:28] <Kilos> ill look for it again unless someone can forward it to me
[19:32:40] * inetpro lagging by 60s
[19:32:40] <inetpro> Kilos: about doing the Ubuntu Hour thing
[19:32:41] <Kilos> i dont remember anything about a girl
[19:32:42] <superfly> kulelu88: did you go, or have you been keeping track at all?
[19:33:20] <Kilos> nope inetpro  no bells
[19:33:26] <Kilos> maybe went to spam
[19:33:33] <Kilos> ai!
[19:33:34] <kulelu88> I want to attend superfly , but even with Pretorias +1 million citizens, we still seem to do everything in joburg, which is kak to travel to in the evenings
[19:33:35] <pieter2627> Kilos: you just mentioned that she is a girl (reason for the brackets) compared to you
[19:33:53] <kulelu88> those okes are doing interesting things at the LUG though
[19:33:55] <superfly> kulelu88: next time can you mail the list about it?
[19:33:57] <Kilos> oh my
[19:34:22] <mciverza1> kulelu88, any Tuks LUG?
[19:34:40] <kulelu88> mciverza1: gremble was supposed to set that up
[19:35:02] * mciverza1 remembers going to TLUG
[19:35:13] * mciverza1 also remembers ptalug
[19:36:48] <kulelu88> you're another Pretorian living in CPT? mcir
[19:36:50] <kulelu88> mciverza1: 
[19:36:51] <superfly> Maybe what we need to do is get people to post about the events they're interested in, or are going to, to the mailing list
[19:37:19] <kulelu88> why don't you guys just join the LUGs? 
[19:37:22] <superfly> Maaz: Agreed Get folks to mail the list about events like the JoziLUG meetup
[19:37:22] <Maaz> Agreed: Get folks to mail the list about events like the JoziLUG meetup
[19:37:34] <mciverza1> Kulelu88: I'm a Capetonionn who has lived in Durban and Pretoria, and worked in Jozi
[19:37:45] <superfly> kulelu88: I'm on CLUG's mailing list, I'll re-post their meetings
[19:37:54] <Kilos> wb wilsonmaravilha  
[19:38:27] <kulelu88> I only see some of you guys here at this time of the month, so apologies for spamming the meeting with 'get to know you' questions
[19:38:29] <inetpro> sorry guys... my connection is still rather pathetic
[19:38:33] <superfly> Is anyone willing to volunteer to just send a mail to the list inviting folks to re-post meetings from other LUGs and OSS groups on the mailing list?
[19:39:17] <kulelu88> superfly: if you can create an email account for me on snyman.info I can try to automate it
[19:39:24] <mciverza1> inetpro, mine is too. just got 10KB/s
[19:39:47] * pieter2627 volunteers
[19:39:53] <superfly> thanks pieter2627
[19:40:02] <pieter2627> what is other OSS?
[19:40:18] <superfly> Maaz: action pieter2627 to send a mail about reposting LUG meetings to list
[19:40:18] <Maaz> superfly: What?
[19:40:24] <superfly> pieter2627: Open Source Software
[19:40:29] <kulelu88> Basically all the other tech meetups pieter2627 
[19:40:30] <superfly> Maaz: actioned pieter2627 to send a mail about reposting LUG meetings to list
[19:40:30] <Maaz> superfly: Sorry...
[19:40:34] <superfly> bah
[19:40:37] <superfly> Maaz: help meeting
[19:40:37] <Maaz> superfly: Take minutes of an IRC Meeting. You can use it like this:
  (start | end) meeting [about <title>]
  I am <True Name>
  topic <topic>
  (agreed | idea | accepted | rejected) <statement>
  minutes so far
  meeting title is <title>
[19:40:43] <pieter2627> superfly: ty, got it
[19:40:45] <superfly> fine.
[19:40:54] <superfly> Maaz: agreed pieter2627 to send a mail about reposting LUG meetings to list
[19:40:54] <Maaz> Agreed: pieter2627 to send a mail about reposting LUG meetings to list
[19:41:24] <mciverza1> what did I miss
[19:41:32] <superfly> <-- mciverza1 (69ed5464@gateway/web/cgi-irc/kiwiirc.com/ip. has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
[19:41:32] <superfly> <superfly> Maaz: agreed pieter2627 to send a mail about reposting LUG meetings to list
[19:41:32] <superfly> <Maaz> Agreed: pieter2627 to send a mail about reposting LUG meetings to list
[19:41:32] <superfly> --> mciverza1 (69ed5464@gateway/web/cgi-irc/kiwiirc.com/ip. has joined #ubuntu-za
[19:42:03] <superfly> Next meeting type: Ubuntu Hour
[19:42:06] * mciverza1 goes to check irc log
[19:42:26] <superfly> Anyone interested in hosting an Ubuntu Hour?
[19:42:36] <kulelu88> what is that?
[19:43:46] <inetpro> Ubuntu Hour message: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-za/2015-May/011745.html
[19:44:04] * pieter2627 would like an understandable def from someone who has attended one before
[19:44:14] <superfly> Basically, a bunch of folk go sit at a coffee shop for an hour and chat about Ubuntu, or some sort of related topic ("look what I did in Inkscape today!")
[19:44:33] <superfly> really informal, unplanned
[19:44:52] <kulelu88> like a meetup ehh
[19:45:03] <kulelu88> probably need 1 for GP and 1 for WC
[19:45:04] <superfly> basically, yes
[19:45:09] <pieter2627> is the point to draw the attention/interest of the the surrounding customers?
[19:45:18] <superfly> pieter2627: no, not necessarily
[19:45:19] <Kilos> yes
[19:45:24] <Kilos> lol
[19:45:38] <inetpro> I was looking for a page on the wiki to describe the event but haven't found anything yet
[19:45:50] <superfly> pieter2627: the point is to have an informal setting where people who are interested in Ubuntu can come and have a look. folks don't even need to be Ubuntu users
[19:46:55] <pieter2627> ok, like a live demo
[19:47:02] <kulelu88> I can try arranging something
[19:47:06] <superfly> You can do that, if you want.
[19:47:13] <superfly> pieter2627: ^^
[19:47:27] <kulelu88> But don't we do something similar on open source day?
[19:47:28] <superfly> I'll try to find more information on what an Ubuntu Hour entails
[19:47:54] <superfly> Maaz: agreed superfly to find out more about what an Ubuntu Hour is supposed to be, and mail the list about it
[19:47:54] <Maaz> Agreed: superfly to find out more about what an Ubuntu Hour is supposed to be, and mail the list about it
[19:48:06] <inetpro> superfly: we should try and get official banners and disks though... think it might help
[19:48:29] <mciverza1> inetpro, and make it "snappy" ;)
[19:48:40] * pieter2627 rofl
[19:48:51] <superfly> OK, moving on
[19:48:55] <superfly> SFD 2015
[19:49:08] <superfly> mciverza1: kmf is usually involved with that. do you know anything?
[19:49:15] <inetpro> now this is where we really need the freebies
[19:49:30] <inetpro> we should have enough time until then
[19:49:30] <kulelu88> I vote for a tshirt over a disk
[19:50:30] <inetpro> maybe someone can help us print our own LoCo stuff
[19:51:21] <kulelu88> inetpro: money will be the issue
[19:51:47] <inetpro> kulelu88: you can sponsor it for us :-)
[19:51:58] <superfly> are we talking about SFD?
[19:52:33] <inetpro> superfly: indirectly yes
[19:52:40] <inetpro> it will be nice if we can have Ubuntu freebies for SFD 2015
[19:52:45] <kulelu88> heh, we can get 1 of you guys companies to sponsor it
[19:53:05] <kulelu88> who has a friend of a friend at FNB?
[19:53:16] <mciverza1> there usually are companies sponsoring SFD.
[19:53:38] <inetpro> last year I was helping KMF to hand out Fedora and SUSE CDs
[19:53:46] <mciverza1> usual suspects are Obsidian, LSD, SuSE, RedHat.
[19:54:10] <kulelu88> quadruple dare to ask RedHat to sponsor ubuntu disks
[19:54:16] <kulelu88> <3
[19:54:22] <mciverza1> lolz
[19:54:33] <mciverza1> lets ask for RasPi's
[19:54:48] <superfly> OK, shall we defer this to kmf till be get a better idea of what is happening at SFD this year?
[19:55:22] <mciverza1> superfly:I think we should try to arrange Ubu swag already.
[19:55:32] <mciverza1> disks, pens, USB sticks.
[19:55:49] <mciverza1> (coz it takes lots of time to get thru customs)
[19:55:56] <inetpro> superfly: I agree
[19:55:57] <superfly> mciverza1: OK, but is SFD confirmed yet?
[19:56:17] <mciverza1> oh. pertinent question. I know not.
[19:56:30] <mciverza1> superfly: am keen to do a Cape SFD.
[19:56:31] * inetpro has lights on again
[19:56:32] <kulelu88> too small mciverza1 . we need this: http://www.zdnet.com/article/canonicals-cloud-in-a-box-the-ubuntu-orange-box/
[19:56:43] <Kilos> yay pro
[19:56:45] <mciverza1> kulelu88:ooh shiny.
[19:57:18] <inetpro> superfly: I will try talk to him asap
[19:57:28] <mciverza1> I'd settle for https://www.parallella.org
[19:57:35] <superfly> OK
[19:57:49] <superfly> Maaz: agreed inetpro will talk to kmf about SFD2015
[19:57:49] <Maaz> Agreed: inetpro will talk to kmf about SFD2015
[19:57:50] <kulelu88> SFD will happen. We just need to ask ubuntu to give us free stuff. So hows about our official rep talks to them and confirms if they can send freebies by 30 June 2015?
[19:57:50] <inetpro> Kilos: please remind me
[19:57:56] <Kilos> ok
[19:58:48] <superfly> Maaz: topic Miscellaneous
[19:58:48] <Maaz> Current Topic: Miscellaneous
[19:58:52] <superfly> Anything else?
[19:59:10] <inetpro> Ubuntu lanyards will count as freebies as well
[19:59:44] <inetpro> should even be cheap to make locally as well
[19:59:47] <pieter2627> two issues was mentioned for the africa site earlier today (if they count)
[20:00:25] <mciverza1> https and no www redirect
[20:01:05] <kulelu88> it's a static site, https isn't necessary
[20:01:40] <superfly> right. https shouldn't redirect the way it does, will chat to SubOracle. I'll add a redirect to the site to direct www to non-www
[20:02:23] <superfly> Maaz: agreed superfly to chat to SubOracle about https redirect of ubuntu-africa.info
[20:02:23] <Maaz> Agreed: superfly to chat to SubOracle about https redirect of ubuntu-africa.info
[20:02:24] <Kilos> the https link is broken superfly  the http works
[20:02:38] <Kilos> https wants some certificate]
[20:02:41] <superfly> Maaz: agreed superfly to fix www redirect
[20:02:41] <Maaz> Agreed: superfly to fix www redirect
[20:03:04] <kulelu88> Kilos: that is how it works. you need a certificate to use HTTPS
[20:03:09] <pieter2627> Kilos: https will be 'turned off'
[20:03:22] <Kilos> it worked this morning though'
[20:03:34] <kulelu88> you can get a Komodo cert for $1 a year I think
[20:03:50] <mciverza1> or wait for "letsencrypt".
[20:04:19] <Kilos> me trusts fly to do whats necessary
[20:05:09] <superfly> anything else before we close the meeting? it's been going on for an hour and a half
[20:05:26] <Kilos> not from me
[20:05:30] <mciverza1> thanks Kilos and superfly
[20:05:34] <kulelu88> I'm good o/
[20:05:36] <magespawn> not me
[20:05:38] <Mopkop> Just one question...
[20:05:42] <Kilos> thanks superfly  
[20:05:43] <superfly> inetpro: are you going to chair next time?
[20:05:58] <Kilos> lol ask eskom
[20:06:00] <Mopkop> The mission and goals thing. Will it be discussed in the maillist?
[20:06:00] <mciverza1> Mopkop: who let the dogs out?
[20:06:22] <Kilos> and on trello Mopkop  
[20:06:35] <superfly> Mopkop: yes... do you want to write a mail to get us started?
[20:06:53] <Mopkop> Lol, ok trello. superfly: I'll do that :) DV
[20:07:25] <superfly> Maaz: agreed Mopkop to mail list about mission, vision, etc
[20:07:25] <Maaz> Agreed: Mopkop to mail list about mission, vision, etc
[20:08:13] <inetpro> superfly: I am willing if power allows
[20:08:29] <superfly> Maaz: agreed inetpro to chair next meeting
[20:08:29] <Maaz> Agreed: inetpro to chair next meeting
[20:08:45] <superfly> alrighty then...
[20:08:48] <superfly> Maaz: end meeting

ZATeam/Meetings/20150526 (last edited 2015-05-26 20:11:11 by raoul-snyman)