notes area for non-pae 32 bit 3.13 building
The Initial Build
The build machine will have to be reinstalled periodically, so here is the 'from deleted' to alive steps so that I do not forget them!
Use the release ISO and do a clean install with it.
Once the network is running directly, I use ssh.
Feel to not install ssh-server part, but it does make doing things like scp much easier.
- sudo -i
- apt-get update
- apt-get install openssh-server
- apt-get install build-essential checkinstall
- apt-get libncurses5-dev libncurses5
- mkdir /lubuntu/src
Why does a local build produce such enormous packages? Our build includes CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO in order to produce linux-debug-image packages. We then manually strip the modules after build.
If you re-use our config for your own build, your best bet is to change this line in the config:
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y To this:
# CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO is not set
# * 1 update the 32 bit desktop KVM
- 2 cd /home/lubuntu/src
- 2a rm -rf ./linux-3.13
- 2b rm -rf *deb
- 2c tar -xf linux_3.13.0.orig.tar.gz
3 cp /boot/config-3.13 <old one> from the VM desktop onto /home/lubuntu/src/linux-3.13/.config
- 4 make the edits discussed above
- 5 cd ~src/linux-3.13
- 6 make oldconfig (pull in the revised file)
- 7 make menuconfig (add this to new one we're building)
- 8 you will see this screen
- 9 go down with the arrow keys until "Processor type and features" is highlighted as in the picture
- 10 On that second page, again use the arrow keys to scroll down until you find the High Memory Support (64GB) as in this picture -
- -- it is half way down the second page of options -- Choose the 4gb option rather then the 64 GB option -
- 11 hit enter
- 12 save your edit and then issue make -j3 deb-pkg LOCALVERSION=-non-pae
That will provide the header, firmware and image .deb files that are needed to install said kernel.