20090811

General Agenda Items and Proposals

PLEASE COME TO THE MEETINGS PREPARED.

This means:

  1. If there is an issue for the team, add it to the agenda.
  2. Agenda items then should be discussed "informally" on #ubuntufourms-beginners. 90 % of the discussion should have taken place before the meeting.
  3. Meetings are primarily for decision making/team votes. Read the agenda and discuss your thoughts before the meeting. 10 % (or less) of the discussion should happen during the meeting.
  4. Agenda items that require more then 5 minutes of discussion may need to be deferred.

Who

What

swoody

(08/11 Meeting) Folding@Home and the #ubuntu-folding channel

nhandler

Remove Beginners Team Calendar

nhandler

Drop ##beginners-classroom

Agenda discussion

Log

   1 [00:08] <Rocket2DMn> #startmeeting
   2 [00:08] <MootBot> Meeting started at 18:08. The chair is Rocket2DMn.
   3 [00:08] <MootBot> Commands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]
   4 [00:08] <Rocket2DMn> Ok, bodhi hasn't shown up, so we'll start without him
   5 [00:08] <Rocket2DMn> let's just run down the focus groups, hopefully he'll be here for the main agenda
   6 [00:09] <Rocket2DMn> Development FG? I don't see paultag
   7 [00:09] <Rocket2DMn> Education FG? I don't see any leads for them either
   8 [00:09] <Rocket2DMn> IRC?
   9 [00:10] <drs305> Nobody's around in August...
  10 [00:10] <Rocket2DMn> Launchpad? Security? Stalking?
  11 [00:10] <Rocket2DMn> jgoguen, YNU FG?
  12 [00:10] <Raidsong> i think its dev
  13 [00:10] <starcraftman> guess this is gonna be a quiet meeting...
  14 [00:10] <jgoguen> Rocket2DMn: Not much to say ATM. We've got a bunch of users, thinking about a meeting soon :)
  15 [00:11] <Rocket2DMn> cool jgoguen , don't wait to set one up, summer is starting to wind down for people
  16 [00:11] <jgoguen> Rocket2DMn: We were thinking soon, next week or so
  17 [00:12] <Rocket2DMn> Sounds good
  18 [00:12] <Rocket2DMn> [LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings
  19 [00:12] <MootBot> LINK received:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings
  20 [00:12] <Rocket2DMn> let's start with the main agenda then
  21 [00:13] <Rocket2DMn> [TOPIC] Folding@Home and the #ubuntu-folding channel
  22 [00:13] <MootBot> New Topic:  Folding@Home and the #ubuntu-folding channel
  23 [00:13] <Rocket2DMn> swoody, you're up
  24 [00:13] <swoody> Thanks Rocket2DMn, I'll make this short for everyone :)
  25 [00:13] <swoody> I just wanted to make a brief annoucement to everyone here about the Folding@Home project.
  26 [00:13] <swoody> For those of you who don't know what Folding@Home is, it's a distributed computing project that was started by Stanford University.
  27 [00:14] <swoody> F@H uses your computer's spare processing power to assist researchers in folding proteins.
  28 [00:14] <swoody> The work that's being done by the F@H project is giving scientists a better understanding of how certain diseases develop, and can lead to cures for diseases such as Parkinson's, Huntington's, Alzheimers, and cancer amoung many others.
  29 [00:14] <swoody> I feel that it's a very worthy project, and I also believe that this project ties in greatly with Ubuntu's philosiphy of giving back to the greater community.
  30 [00:15] <swoody> For some more info on the project or to find out how you can help out, plese drop by our channel at #ubuntu-folding, or check out:
  31 [00:15] <swoody> [LINK] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FoldingAtHome
  32 [00:15] <MootBot> LINK received:  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FoldingAtHome
  33 [00:16] <swoody> and if there's no questions.....
  34 [00:16] <drs305> Is there just one Ubuntu team now?
  35 [00:16] <swoody> drs305:  ah, yes! The multiple teams that used to be are now united under Tem Ubuntu :)
  36 [00:17] <swoody> Team Ubuntu**
  37 [00:17] <drs305> ty
  38 [00:17] <starcraftman> Only thing ya might want to add swoody is mentioning origami installer, very handy.
  39 [00:18] <swoody> yes, thank you starcraftman :)
  40 [00:18] <swoody> There are a number of ways to install the F@H client on your computer. Most of them are very simple (2 commands
  41 [00:18] <swoody> ) and very painless :)
  42 [00:19] <swoody> Anyone want to toss out anything else, or have any questions?
  43 [00:19] <Raidsong> can you give us the commands?
  44 [00:20] <swoody> to install origami it's simply 'sudo apt-get install origami'...
  45 [00:21] <swoody> then to set it up would be "sudo origami install [-t TEAMNUMBER -u FOLDINGUSER ]"
  46 [00:21] <starcraftman> For more information on the origami installer (including more advanced options see:
  47 [00:21] <starcraftman> [LINK] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FoldingAtHome/origami
  48 [00:21] <MootBot> LINK received:  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FoldingAtHome/origami
  49 [00:21] <swoody> ah, thank you starcraftman :)
  50 [00:22] <swoody> and that should be about it then :)
  51 [00:22] <starcraftman> swoody: no problem, always here to help.
  52 [00:22] <Rocket2DMn> Cool project swoody , thank you for sharing
  53 [00:22] <swoody> Again, if anyone has any questions, please feel free to drop by #ubuntu-folding
  54 [00:22] <swoody> ty Rocket2DMn :)
  55 [00:23] <Rocket2DMn> [TOPIC] Remove Beginners Team Calendar
  56 [00:23] <MootBot> New Topic:  Remove Beginners Team Calendar
  57 [00:23] <Raidsong> ill run this on both of my computers
  58 [00:23] <nhandler> I can talk about this Rocket2DMn
  59 [00:23] <Rocket2DMn> floor is yours nhandler
  60 [00:23] <nhandler> Pretty much, we started using a separate calendar due to the closed nature of the old fridge (and because we had meetings in #ubuntuforums-beginners)
  61 [00:23] <nhandler> Now, we use #ubuntu-meeting and the Fridge for our main meetings
  62 [00:24] <nhandler> I see it as a waste of time duplicating this on our own calendar that not many people subscribe to
  63 [00:24] <nhandler> If there are no objections, I would like to go ahead and get the BT calendar deleted
  64 [00:24] <Rocket2DMn> nhandler, let's get bodhi's final approval on that before we shut it down
  65 [00:25] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: Of course. But I would like to get a vote at this meeting as well
  66 [00:25] <superbenny> is there really any work that goes into it? i dont see any reason why we cant just leave it there for people, such as myself who do use it
  67 [00:25] <Rocket2DMn> I also use it, perhaps we should just remove it from the wiki page?
  68 [00:25] <nhandler> superbenny: Might I ask why you use that instead of the normal Fridge calendar?
  69 [00:25] <Rocket2DMn> gcal it sends email reminders
  70 [00:26] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: The Fridge is a gcal now
  71 [00:26] <superbenny> no idea, that was just the one on the wiki. also, is the fridge cal only bt items?
  72 [00:26] <Rocket2DMn> link?
  73 [00:26] <nhandler> superbenny: No, it has items for all Ubuntu teams
  74 [00:26] <superbenny> as of right now, I'm not really involved in much outside of the BT.
  75 [00:26] <nhandler> [link] http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar
  76 [00:26] <MootBot> LINK received:  http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar
  77 [00:26] <starcraftman> Long as the fgs and main teem meetings are all consolidated into the fridge calendar I'm fine with it, means no duplication like I get now.
  78 [00:26] <superbenny> so it just keeps useless events off of my calendar
  79 [00:27] <nhandler> starcraftman: Most FG don't even use the BT calendar. However, I think it would be fine to have them use the Fridge calendar
  80 [00:27] <superbenny> now, if there is someone who sits there and devotes more than 10 minutes to it, then its reasonable to delete it, but as far as i'm aware, its just an auto-repeating event every other tuesday
  81 [00:28] <Rocket2DMn> nhandler, can you schedule events on the fridge calendar that aren't held in this channel?
  82 [00:28] <superbenny> in which case, no harm can come from leaving it as-is
  83 [00:28] <nhandler> superbenny: As of a few weeks ago, it is auto-repeating. I have no issue leaving it like that. However, I have no plans on correcting it for the few instances we get off schedule (which happen around US holidays and such)
  84 [00:28] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: Yes
  85 [00:28] <swoody> +1 if that is the case superbenny
  86 [00:28] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: For example, we use it for classroom sessions that are in #ubuntu-classroom
  87 [00:29] <nhandler> The Doc Team has also used it for meetings in #ubuntu-doc
  88 [00:29] <Rocket2DMn> ok, shall we put it to a vote then?
  89 [00:29] <nhandler> Sure
  90 [00:30] <Rocket2DMn> are we voting to close it down, or just to remove it from the wiki page?
  91 [00:30] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I would make the vote to "stop using it". We would start referencing the Fridge on the wiki, and I (and other people) would stop updating the BT calendar
  92 [00:31] <superbenny> sounds good to me.
  93 [00:31] <Rocket2DMn> [VOTE] Stop using the BT Google Calendar and only use The Fridge instead?
  94 [00:31] <MootBot> Please vote on:  Stop using the BT Google Calendar and only use The Fridge instead?.
  95 [00:31] <MootBot> Public votes can be registered by saying +1/-1/+0 in the channel, private votes by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0  to MootBot
  96 [00:31] <MootBot> E.g. /msg MootBot +1 #ubuntu-meeting
  97 [00:31] <nhandler> +1
  98 [00:31] <MootBot> +1 received from nhandler. 1 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 1
  99 [00:31] <andrew_46> +1
 100 [00:31] <MootBot> +1 received from andrew_46. 2 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 2
 101 [00:31] <Rocket2DMn> 0
 102 [00:31] <swoody> +1
 103 [00:31] <MootBot> +1 received from swoody. 3 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 3
 104 [00:31] <starcraftman> +1
 105 [00:31] <MootBot> +1 received from starcraftman. 4 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 4
 106 [00:31] <Raidsong> +1
 107 [00:31] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: +0
 108 [00:31] <MootBot> +1 received from Raidsong. 5 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 5
 109 [00:31] <superbenny> +1
 110 [00:31] <MootBot> +1 received from superbenny. 6 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 6
 111 [00:31] <Rocket2DMn> +0
 112 [00:31] <MootBot> Abstention received from Rocket2DMn. 6 for, 0 against. 1 have abstained. Count is now 6
 113 [00:32] <Rocket2DMn> any more votes?
 114 [00:32] <duanedes1gn> +0
 115 [00:32] <MootBot> Abstention received from duanedes1gn. 6 for, 0 against. 2 have abstained. Count is now 6
 116 [00:32] <Rocket2DMn> [ENDVOTE]
 117 [00:32] <MootBot> Final result is 6 for, 0 against. 2 abstained. Total: 6
 118 [00:33] <Rocket2DMn> [AGREED] Stop using BT Google Calendar.  Use Fridge instead.
 119 [00:33] <MootBot> AGREED received:  Stop using BT Google Calendar.  Use Fridge instead.
 120 [00:33] <nhandler> Just as a note, only BT members should be participating in these votes
 121 [00:33] <Rocket2DMn> nhandler, you want the action to double check with bodhi and remove it from wiki?
 122 [00:33] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: That is fine
 123 [00:34] <Rocket2DMn> [ACTION] nhandler to check removal of GCal and remove from wiki
 124 [00:34] <MootBot> ACTION received:  nhandler to check removal of GCal and remove from wiki
 125 [00:34] <Rocket2DMn> I'll postpone the next agenda item since bodhi isn't here
 126 [00:34] <Rocket2DMn> [TOPIC] Drop ##beginners-classroom
 127 [00:34] <MootBot> New Topic:  Drop ##beginners-classroom
 128 [00:34] <Rocket2DMn> nhandler, you're up again
 129 [00:35] <nhandler> We stopped using ##beginners-classroom in favor of #ubuntu-classroom a while ago
 130 [00:35] <nhandler> This is why we did not create a #ubuntu-beginners-classroom when we renamed the team
 131 [00:35] <nhandler> As a result, I see no reason to keep this unused channel open, and I propose dropping it
 132 [00:36] <Rocket2DMn> How do we go about removing it?
 133 [00:36] <Rocket2DMn> is it just a matter of not referencing it on the wiki anymore?
 134 [00:36] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: Bodhi would do a /msg ChanServ drop ##beginners-classroom
 135 [00:36] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I'm not even sure if it is referenced still on the wiki
 136 [00:36] <Rocket2DMn> [LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/FocusGroups
 137 [00:36] <MootBot> LINK received:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/FocusGroups
 138 [00:36] <Rocket2DMn> it's still listed there
 139 [00:37] <swoody> nhandler:  The channel hasn't been used for anything recently?
 140 [00:37] <nhandler> swoody: Correct
 141 [00:37] <nhandler> We moved to #ubuntu-classroom
 142 [00:37] <Rocket2DMn> ok, does anybody want to voice any objections?
 143 [00:37] <swoody> nhandler:  Ah, I don't forsee any objections then :)
 144 [00:38] <starcraftman> I got nothing.
 145 [00:38] <superbenny> nor do i...
 146 [00:38] <Rocket2DMn> ok, I don't think we need to vote on that
 147 [00:38] <Rocket2DMn> that's really a FG decision
 148 [00:38] <nhandler> I'll talk to bodhi and get it dropped then
 149 [00:39]  * nhandler -> dinner
 150 [00:39] <Rocket2DMn> [ACTION] nhandler to talk to bodhi - remove ##beginners-classroom
 151 [00:39] <MootBot> ACTION received:  nhandler to talk to bodhi - remove ##beginners-classroom
 152 [00:39] <Rocket2DMn> [TOPIC] Other
 153 [00:39] <MootBot> New Topic:  Other
 154 [00:39] <Rocket2DMn> does anybody have anything else at all they want to discuss?  The floor is open.
 155 [00:40] <starcraftman> Nope.
 156 [00:40] <andrew_46> Nothing here
 157 [00:40] <superbenny> nope
 158 [00:40] <Rocket2DMn> Okie dokie then, there aren't any padawan nominations, so I think we're finished
 159 [00:41] <starcraftman> Guess so.
 160 [00:41] <Rocket2DMn> nobody has any last minute nominations right?
 161 [00:41] <superbenny> cool
 162 [00:41] <Rocket2DMn> Ok, thanks for coming everybody
 163 [00:41] <Rocket2DMn> #endmeeting
 164 [00:41] <MootBot> Meeting finished at 18:41.
 165 


CategoryBeginnersTeam

BeginnersTeam/Meetings/20090811 (last edited 2009-08-12 00:09:54 by rocket2dmn)