20100109

Agenda

Meeting Agenda

Who

What

starcraft.man

Topic 1 - We now have an LP Team.

starcraft.man

Topic 2 - New Meeting Format.

starcraft.man

Topic 3 - Discussion of driver model and application to the Wiki FG.

starcraft.man

Topic 4 - Planning for Lucid cycle, Goal Setting. What do we want to focus on?

starcraft.man

Topic 5 - Open to member suggestions.

New LP Team: Moderated, Members of BT team can apply. Paddy's/other collaborators will have to wait for approval on main team.

New Meeting Format: Meeting Format

Driver Explanation: Explanation Post

Driver Examples: Duandesign Sandbox

Agreed

Topic 1 - We now have an LP Team.

  • All users should join it, so do so! You apply, I approve.

Topic 2 - New Meeting Format.

  • Try out new meeting style.
  • Edits, single thread/topic discussion on mail list. Investigate doodle flaws. ||

Topic 3 - Discussion of driver model and application to the Wiki FG.

  • Create specific measurably goals for wiki fg team for this cycle.
  • Should be team wide, separate for system docs and wiki sections.
  • starcraft.man and Hellow assigned as drivers on this.

Topic 4 - Planning for Lucid cycle, Goal Setting. What do we want to focus on?

  • All members should install a VM (VirtualBox suggested) and install Lucid in it, stay up to date.

  • Become familiar with Lucid changes and make improvements as needed to wiki pages and system docs.
  • See Rocket2DMn if ya need help with system docs or just questions.

Topic 5 - Open to member suggestions.

  • We skipped it.

Log

   1 [19:04:18] <starcraftman> Yup, just was watching end of a futurama episode.
   2 [19:04:25] -*- starcraftman smacks gavel down.
   3 [19:04:39] <duanedesign> my finger!
   4 [19:04:52] <starcraftman> duanedesign: tough, shouldn't be in way of my gavel.
   5 [19:04:55] <Rocket2DMn> oh he's on a power trip now...
   6 [19:05:02] <duanedesign> lol
   7 [19:05:28] <starcraftman> Ok so agenda for the wiki FG meeting is here > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/FocusGroups/Wiki
   8 [19:06:02] <starcraftman> Some links under agenda relate to relevant topics. And I guess we'll just run through them sequentially now then...
   9 [19:06:15] <starcraftman> Topic 1 - We now have an LP Team. 
  10 [19:06:35] <lukjad007> Okay
  11 [19:07:04] <starcraftman> I know, it's just what everyone wanted. Originally made it for team voting, will be good for tracking membership seeing as all other FGs moving to that for it post last meeting.
  12 [19:07:23] <starcraftman> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-beginners-wiki < Aplly.
  13 [19:08:01] <starcraftman> I guess not really a huge scope for discussion, comments?
  14 [19:08:13] <starcraftman> If not......
  15 [19:08:17] <Rocket2DMn> just a quick question
  16 [19:08:25] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: shoot.
  17 [19:08:29] <Rocket2DMn> Is everybody here a member of ubuntu-doc-contributors? if not, you should be
  18 [19:08:42] <forestpiskie> o/
  19 [19:08:46] <Rocket2DMn> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-doc-contributors
  20 [19:09:21] <starcraftman> forestpiskie: feel free to join em. :)
  21 [19:09:37] <starcraftman> All other members should be, it's on the home page to do list.
  22 [19:09:54] <drs305> o/
  23 [19:10:05] <starcraftman> drs305: yes?
  24 [19:10:12] <forestpiskie> when I last was sort of in this team - the -doc team made it very hard to have anything to do with them - if I join here again there is no way I would even contemplate talking to them again
  25 [19:10:15] <drs305> forestpiskie first I think
  26 [19:10:23] <starcraftman> drs305: right, hehe.
  27 [19:10:34] <Rocket2DMn> forestpiskie, please explain
  28 [19:11:00] <forestpiskie> not now - later
  29 [19:11:07] <Rocket2DMn> ok
  30 [19:11:21] <starcraftman> forestpiskie: alright. drs305 then.
  31 [19:11:23] <drs305> Can you summarize what having LP FG does?  Or is there a link that covers it?
  32 [19:11:25] <forestpiskie> get on with the meeting - I've not even rejoined yet :)
  33 [19:11:59] <starcraftman> drs305: the lp team? uh.... do lp answers and help on lp. I'm not on there tbh.
  34 [19:12:27] <drs305> ok, I'll stand by. What did I just sign up for?
  35 [19:12:45] <starcraftman> drs305: that was the wiki fg lp team, mostly just for tracking membership.
  36 [19:12:53] <drs305> ok.
  37 [19:13:02] <starcraftman> Maybe some new feature will pop up later and I'll impress all of ya!
  38 [19:13:15] <starcraftman> Next topic.
  39 [19:13:29] <starcraftman> Topic 2 - New Meeting Format. 
  40 [19:13:58] <starcraftman> This came about mostly because I was wanting to get everyone involved and the doodle exposed our lack of common overlap.
  41 [19:14:00] <starcraftman> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/starcraft.man/Sandbox
  42 [19:14:08] <starcraftman> ^ There is proposal for new format for meeting.
  43 [19:14:18] <starcraftman> It's only for Wiki FG atm, I'm hopeful it works.
  44 [19:15:01] <forestpiskie> Rocket2DMn: http://paste.ubuntu.com/354185/
  45 [19:15:03] <starcraftman> Basically a 3 step process as outlined. IRC meeting, mail list discussion, vote (by doodle unless someone has better idea).
  46 [19:15:29] <starcraftman> Rest of info on it available on sandbox page.
  47 [19:16:12] <starcraftman> And now open for comments. I'm hoping works out, not too involved. Sounded good when nigel_NB came up with original idea, he deserves some credit.
  48 [19:16:39] -*- starcraftman waits for people to finish reading I guess.
  49 [19:16:39] <Rocket2DMn> o/
  50 [19:16:46] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: Yup.
  51 [19:16:56] <Rocket2DMn> you said "You can reply to as many topics within your one email (DON'T make a separate one per topic)."
  52 [19:17:07] <drs305> starcraftman: It's not allowing me to register votes for 2 / 3
  53 [19:17:28] <starcraftman> drs305: really? But.... I just voted in 3 things.
  54 [19:17:30] <Rocket2DMn> I think a separate email thread should exist for each subject, it makes it easier to search mail threads for what youre looking for
  55 [19:17:58] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: ok, then I'll make titles like "Wiki FG Meeting - Discussion Topic 1"
  56 [19:17:59] <drs305> I saved after the first vote. Perhaps you have to vote all three at the same time.
  57 [19:18:02] <Rocket2DMn> it is proper mailing list etiquette to keep your topics separated
  58 [19:18:14] <drs305> I don't want to send you a beer, but I'm all for "42"!
  59 [19:18:17] <starcraftman> drs305: ah yes, you can select multiple choices.
  60 [19:18:38] <starcraftman> I forgot to clarify, with doodle, ya can select as many as apply. Ideally 1 per topic.
  61 [19:19:34] <starcraftman> drs305: what? Ya abstained on topic1, you fail!
  62 [19:20:07] <drs305> What can I say. It was going to be 1 of each but apparently I only had one shot at it.
  63 [19:20:21] <starcraftman> ok, any other comments? Any problems with doodle vote? Pretty simple thing.
  64 [19:20:51] <starcraftman> lukjad007:  talsemgeest and duanedesign, feel free to pop thoughts in. :)
  65 [19:21:02] <talsemgeest> starcraftman: All sounds good so far :)
  66 [19:21:17] <duanedesign> having a LP page for your group allows you to track projects. I would consider a Wiki FG parent project to track any projects the group might have.
  67 [19:21:27] <duanedesign> sorry a little out of line
  68 [19:21:53] <duanedesign> this one i created for LP focus group https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-beginners-launchpad-projects
  69 [19:22:18] <duanedesign> makes it easy to monitor what is going on. An RSS feed too
  70 [19:22:36] <duanedesign> just an idea if the need arises
  71 [19:23:39] <duanedesign> Launchpad 'teams' and 'projects' are like peanut butter and jelly :)
  72 [19:23:43] <starcraftman> duanedesign: hmmm, I still new at lp, sounds good. I dunno what exactly to put on such, I mean we track and work on lots of pages simultaneously.
  73 [19:23:49] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: thoughts?
  74 [19:24:11] <Rocket2DMn> so you want to handle votes on doodle?
  75 [19:24:17] <duanedesign> starcraftman: if you notice on the LP example right now our projects are just blueprints
  76 [19:24:48] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: I see ya just voted, works well yes?
  77 [19:25:44] <Rocket2DMn> yeah starcraftman , it works ok, unfortunately you can't enforce it being limited to team members
  78 [19:25:50] <Rocket2DMn> doesn't LP have voting?
  79 [19:26:32] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: well no, but I know everyone and we'll distribute link via mailist so just folks signed up will know.
  80 [19:27:09] <starcraftman> lp voting has problem of being limited to full members, and nhandler said it's poor. I took a quick look it's a bit limited imo.
  81 [19:27:18] <Rocket2DMn> well, it's seems like a good system for those who cant attend meetings
  82 [19:27:23] <forestpiskie> if extra votes are ok in a meeting in meeting then I am sure a few on doodle will be a doddle
  83 [19:28:14] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: ok then, so hmmm, I guess I should put it to a quick vote ironically enough old meeting way, to approve trial of new meeting. So....
  84 [19:28:26] <starcraftman> VOTE: Try starcraft.man's new voting/meeting system.
  85 [19:28:34] <Rocket2DMn> i wonder if doodle has openid
  86 [19:28:35] <starcraftman> (with doodle option).
  87 [19:28:51] <lukjad007> starcraftman The doodle looks nice, but it's a bit confusing, and can you change your vote? Also, can someone else vote as another person since I didn't have to log in?
  88 [19:29:20] -*- lukjad007 catches up on lag
  89 [19:29:21] <Rocket2DMn> i logged in, i'm gonna try to vote again
  90 [19:29:37] <starcraftman> lukjad007: no you can't change you vote (don't think ya should need to imo, we don't at IRC meetings change votes).
  91 [19:29:44] <duanedesign> probablly a bit of the honor system, but i dont think that would be a problem
  92 [19:29:55] <Rocket2DMn> hmm, doesnt give me an option to change my votes after i return to the poll
  93 [19:30:07] <drs305> Yeah, that
  94 [19:30:15] <starcraftman> As to authentication, ya, it's not required to login, but would anyone on our internal mail list spoof anyone? ><
  95 [19:30:21] <drs305> is what I found. Won't let you use the same username
  96 [19:30:27] <Rocket2DMn> it lets me edit entries for everybody though...
  97 [19:30:46] <lukjad007> starcraftman I believe this answers your question: http://www.doodle.com/eivegv3ysebrxtrw?adminKey=&participantKey=
  98 [19:30:59] <lukjad007> starcraftman there's another point where stuff gets confusing.
  99 [19:31:23] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: You can? Really? Change my answers, I need to look at administration panel again I guess.
 100 [19:32:10] <Rocket2DMn> starcraftman, yours is protected, but nobody else's is
 101 [19:32:15] <lukjad007> starcraftman I'm more in favour of Alternative 2, or something along those lines
 102 [19:32:21] <Rocket2DMn> maybe everybody else didnt login to doodle
 103 [19:32:35] -*- drs305 suggests we can experiment with this over time.
 104 [19:32:39] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: hmmm, curious. Normal users shouldn't have that power I don't think.
 105 [19:33:04] <starcraftman> drs305: yup, I sure we can tweak some more.
 106 [19:33:34] <drs305> This is the type of thing we can use -team room for. Playing with this after the meeting or later.
 107 [19:34:24] <lukjad007> starcraftman I have an other idea, but it may not be popular
 108 [19:34:28] <lukjad007> :)
 109 [19:34:44] <starcraftman> lukjad007: shoot, I'm listening.
 110 [19:35:36] <lukjad007> Perhaps running the FG by council. The council basically does what it wants. (Perhaps elections,  but meh.)
 111 [19:36:02] <starcraftman> lukjad007: I don't think we big enough for a council, we only have around 15 members.
 112 [19:36:29] <lukjad007> Yeah, but then perhaps running by "leader"
 113 [19:37:00] <starcraftman> lukjad007: well if ya insist, all bow before your new Overlord!
 114 [19:37:21] <starcraftman> hehe
 115 [19:37:29] -*- lukjad007 fires a plutonium at starcraftman and runs.
 116 [19:37:48] <lukjad007> starcraftman :D
 117 [19:38:02] <starcraftman> Alright, that's enough for this topic methinks, we'll take extra discussion to mail list post. For now we all agreed to try it at least yes?
 118 [19:38:19] <lukjad007> Yeah, this topic is discouraging.
 119 [19:39:08] <starcraftman> lukjad007: discouraging? Really? Oh well, anyway, if there's nothing else....
 120 [19:39:19] <lukjad007> starcraftman Just generally.
 121 [19:39:25] <starcraftman>  Topic 3 - Discussion of driver model and application to the Wiki FG. 
 122 [19:39:40] <lukjad007> afk
 123 [19:39:58] <starcraftman> lukjad007: later
 124 [19:40:05] <duanedesign> i think the FG is a good place to experiment with these things for possible adoption by the BT at large
 125 [19:40:14] <starcraftman> duanedesign: yup.
 126 [19:40:17] <duanedesign> sorry that was topic 2 comment
 127 [19:40:20] <Rocket2DMn> Isn't the BT already doing one?
 128 [19:40:41] <duanedesign> but it works for this one too
 129 [19:41:39] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: yes, but well, see duanedesign's page for examples. I wanted to discuss setting em, or rather how to implement for team.
 130 [19:41:44] <starcraftman> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/duanedesign/sandbox
 131 [19:41:45] <duanedesign> i think all the Focus Groups should try and contribute at least one goal to the Roadmap
 132 [19:42:08] <forestpiskie> easy for the irc fg then duanedesign :)
 133 [19:42:16] <Rocket2DMn> ah i see, we have our own section
 134 [19:42:16] <duanedesign> the wiki and forum focus groups i could see having more
 135 [19:43:02] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: well no, that's same page as main. We could implement our own set though. I guess it depends what we want to do.
 136 [19:43:27] <duanedesign> i dont think the goals need to be outrageous, just a goal to keep us moving forward
 137 [19:43:55] <starcraftman> At it's core I guess we'd have to have some loose quota of what we'd expect to get done. X amount of new pages, y updated ones.
 138 [19:44:00] <duanedesign> and having something measurable contributes to the feeling of accomplishment
 139 [19:44:13] <Rocket2DMn> I'd like to see us integrate our goals with the team as a whole - so that they are aware of what we are working for
 140 [19:44:36] <Rocket2DMn> so, the team has its goals, and our FG (and hopefully others) would be a subset of those, or just have our own subsection
 141 [19:45:00] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: aye, I'm fine with that, we can integrate ours into duanedesign's page. Maybe use headers to separate.
 142 [19:45:23] <Rocket2DMn> +2
 143 [19:45:25] <Rocket2DMn> err +1
 144 [19:46:38] <starcraftman> We could create separate drivers for each section, say system doc people have x goal (driver would be people assigned to it), wiki side has own goals, You have an idea for system docs maybe? The question is what average number of pages to require.
 145 [19:46:44] <talsemgeest> +1 for achievable goals
 146 [19:46:55] <Hellow> +1 on achievable goals, too.
 147 [19:47:41] <Hellow> It would help a lot with overall team activity.
 148 [19:47:46] <starcraftman> maybe a per person goal? Problem is I don't want it turning into a quota filling thing.
 149 [19:48:07] <duanedesign> maybe an average?
 150 [19:48:08] <Rocket2DMn> I like your first remark there, but -1 on per-person goals
 151 [19:48:12] <Rocket2DMn> these are team goals
 152 [19:48:35] <forestpiskie> if you do that then quality will suffer - I know from experience
 153 [19:48:36] <Rocket2DMn> in some cases individuals may need to take specific action, but we function as a team.  Dealing out tasks is different
 154 [19:48:42] <duanedesign> but they need to measurable goals
 155 [19:50:17] <duanedesign> as long as it is clear yes we achieved this, or no we did not
 156 [19:50:21] <forestpiskie> can I just say that the biggest problem we have at the moment is that the whole of UBT does not act as a team - and until we do then all the roadmaps in the world will just serve to get us lost
 157 [19:50:58] <Rocket2DMn> forestpiskie, i think a roadmap for specific FGs is a good idea, to help those of us with similar interests operate better
 158 [19:50:59] <duanedesign> i think the reason for that is because we have no roadmap. No sense of direction
 159 [19:51:11] <starcraftman> forestpiskie: don't ya think this kinda driver might help focus? I think so.
 160 [19:51:14] <talsemgeest> forestpiskie: I agree, it seems all the discussion in the mailing list is about arguing about how to stop arguing
 161 [19:51:22] <Hellow> heh
 162 [19:52:03] <Hellow> The team needs a better defined roadmap. Something the team is going for as a whole.
 163 [19:52:15] <Hellow> Can anyone describe what you currently think our roadmap is?
 164 [19:52:35] <talsemgeest> Hellow: The bt of the wiki fg?
 165 [19:52:38] <duanedesign> i think our broad Mission is to help users of Ubuntu
 166 [19:52:40] <starcraftman> Hellow: yup. to first comment, and no. Nothing more than general help folks where ya can.
 167 [19:52:43] <Hellow> talsemgeest, The team as a whole.
 168 [19:52:59] <forestpiskie> I know what it was
 169 [19:53:04] <talsemgeest> Hellow: To help with those who are new to ubuntu
 170 [19:53:20] <Hellow> That is *very* general.
 171 [19:53:38] <talsemgeest> Hellow: I agree, but it seems to me that even that hasn't been happening lately
 172 [19:54:49] <forestpiskie> none of you will know - but there used to be an awful tv programme here - that is what we sound like most of the time - a bunch of old women muttering
 173 [19:55:03] <Hellow> LOL.
 174 [19:55:07] <duanedesign> i know the inspiration for roadmaps was that a lot of good ideas get brought up at UDS and everybody gets excited about the project. Then everybody would leave UDS and go back home and the project would never get anywhere
 175 [19:55:37] <talsemgeest> I completely agree. And of course, that needs to change
 176 [19:55:49] <Hellow> I don't quite know how to describe this, but I don't think the team is unified enough to get anywhere.
 177 [19:56:04] <forestpiskie> +1 Hellow
 178 [19:56:17] <talsemgeest> Hellow: +1 in the teams current state
 179 [19:56:23] <forestpiskie> by team I assum you mean the UBT
 180 [19:56:27] <Rocket2DMn> I understand the concerns about doing this, I think if we start small and simple, it is something we can do.  If it doesn't work out, we can discard it
 181 [19:56:28] <Hellow> Yes, the UBT.
 182 [19:56:48] <duanedesign> Rocket2DMn: +1
 183 [19:57:16] <forestpiskie> Rocket2DMn: this is the issue - lots of bif ideas and no-one able to drive them, then it fails and we all feel despondent
 184 [19:57:22] <starcraftman> Hellow: ya I think I know what ya mean, I don't know a solution atm. I say we should give it an effort for now and see how it goes. I'll make a subsection on duanedesign's sandobx for us and we can discuss narrowing down team wide goals on mail list as we revise proposal.
 185 [19:57:25] <forestpiskie> *big
 186 [19:57:54] <duanedesign> the only way the team is going to get unified is through organization. Putting tools in place to facilitate us moving towards our goal
 187 [19:58:02] <starcraftman> Then for next meeting we should have something reasonably close to a good driver to vote on.
 188 [19:58:05] <duanedesign> starcraftman: sounds good
 189 [19:58:23] <Hellow> duanedesign, +1
 190 [19:58:32] <starcraftman> or maybe even just once we settle on goals we can have a vote via shiny doodle :).
 191 [19:58:38] <Rocket2DMn> forestpiskie, I can accept that not all efforts succeed, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try.  Even if only some efforts turn out to be fruitful, then that is value added.
 192 [19:58:49] <Rocket2DMn> If we do this, somebody needs to be the driver for it though
 193 [19:59:05] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: It is the way of things, I agree. Never trying is wishing to fail.
 194 [19:59:52] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: ok, any volunteers? Apart from me..... though I guess I could get out the whip....
 195 [20:00:00] <starcraftman> hehe
 196 [20:00:26] <Hellow> I believe I could do it.
 197 [20:00:36] <Rocket2DMn> starcraftman, you can bounce some ideas off of me, and I might be able to provide some goals, but I can't volunteer to be the driver
 198 [20:00:39] <forestpiskie> Rocket2DMn: I agree - sometimes I feel veery negative about the whole thing - but that is because I want to see us do more, then we have meetings that descend into chaos and it all goes to pieces
 199 [20:01:01] <forestpiskie> and I really donlt like it at all :(
 200 [20:01:08] <starcraftman> forestpiskie: well it's a new year, think positive thoughts. :)
 201 [20:01:17] <forestpiskie> I try - I do :)
 202 [20:01:19] <starcraftman> duanedesign: you also get a cookie for your correct votes on doodle.
 203 [20:01:22] <Rocket2DMn> forestpiskie, understood, I think we are a small enough group here that we can pull off something straightforward though.  It is definitely more of a challenge for the BT as a whole as our identity seems to be constantly in flux
 204 [20:01:33] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: yes.
 205 [20:01:37] <forestpiskie> stabut I always appear to be the one thinking the other side of the coin :)
 206 [20:01:37] <duanedesign> starcraftman: nice
 207 [20:01:52] <Hellow> Problem: We have no single, unified goal(s). And the lack of organization stems from that issue.
 208 [20:02:29] <duanedesign> Hellow: good one
 209 [20:03:00] <starcraftman> Hellow: indeed, it is hard to manage many divergent opinions though. Leads don't rule with an iron fist, your all volunteers after all.
 210 [20:03:07] <duanedesign> Hellow: that could be the first OBJECTIVE
 211 [20:03:28] <starcraftman> duanedesign: a goal to create more team unity/focused objectives, sounds good.
 212 [20:03:31] <Rocket2DMn> well, if we agree to try a roadmap, we can come up with some objects and discuss them on the mailing list
 213 [20:03:48] <duanedesign> Rocket2DMn: good idea
 214 [20:03:48] <Hellow> A roadmap would help things tremendously.
 215 [20:04:19] <Hellow> But we need one that all - or at least most - of us can agree on and follow.
 216 [20:04:57] <Hellow> Otherwise, the attempt at creating the roadmap will fail and fall to a dim memory, like some of the team's previous projects.
 217 [20:05:04] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: this sounds like a plan, I guess I and hellow can try and be driver on it and managed discussion/revision to duanes page. We'll try and come up with a few ideas for goals, put em on duanes page and then have discussion.
 218 [20:05:25] <starcraftman> Ok? 
 219 [20:05:46] <Rocket2DMn> cool
 220 [20:05:48] <talsemgeest> Sounds brilliant to me :)
 221 [20:05:52] <Hellow> Let's do it.
 222 [20:06:15] <forestpiskie> duanedesign: some time tomorrow can we talk? late here now ...
 223 [20:06:23] <starcraftman> Rgr, then, that's  another topic down.
 224 [20:06:31] <duanedesign> forestpiskie: yep i will be here
 225 [20:06:37] <starcraftman> forestpiskie: mostly done, ya can go rest. gnight.
 226 [20:07:10] <starcraftman> Last topic was just a bit more narrow, I was wondering more specifically re wiki team we should focus on for Lucid Cycle: 
 227 [20:07:33] <-- talsemgeest (n=talsemge@unaffiliated/talsemgeest) has quit (Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer))
 228 [20:07:47] --> talsemgeest (n=talsemge@unaffiliated/talsemgeest) has joined #ubuntu-beginners-team
 229 [20:07:47] *** Mode #ubuntu-beginners-team +v talsemgeest by ChanServ
 230 [20:07:50] <starcraftman> i.e. as roles, new content creation, updates to out of date, style/content cleanup. We seem to be a bit too dispersed perhaps in that effort.
 231 [20:08:04] <talsemgeest> Sorry bout that, xchat crashed
 232 [20:08:11] <starcraftman> kinda ties in to driver creation.
 233 [20:08:22] <starcraftman> talsemgeest: I can repost my line for ya:
 234 [20:08:34] <starcraftman> Last topic was just a bit more narrow, I was wondering more specifically re wiki team we should focus on for Lucid Cycle: 
 235 [20:08:48] <starcraftman> talsemgeest: came right before i.e. line.
 236 [20:08:50] <forestpiskie> ty starcraftman, night all :)
 237 [20:08:56] <talsemgeest> k
 238 [20:08:57] <starcraftman> forestpiskie: later
 239 [20:08:58] <Rocket2DMn> On this topic, I have a question for everybody
 240 [20:09:00] <talsemgeest> Night forestpiskie :)
 241 [20:09:12] <Rocket2DMn> Who here does NOT at least a VM of the dev version of Ubuntu?
 242 [20:09:12] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: shoot
 243 [20:09:33] <talsemgeest> Rocket2DMn: Me
 244 [20:09:55] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: I got my VMs set up but didn't install lucid yet, know I should. Been a bit busy, what with back to uni cycle.
 245 [20:10:06] -*- starcraftman adds it to todo list.
 246 [20:10:28] <Rocket2DMn> Ok, it's not a big deal, it just helps when updating documentation (esp. near the end of the release cycle)
 247 [20:10:46] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: rgr that, definitely something people should do.
 248 [20:11:01] <talsemgeest> Rocket2DMn: Good point, added to my download list
 249 [20:11:04] <drs305> We'll need to know Lucid, but things like graphics can't really be updated until RC comes out.
 250 [20:11:05] <talsemgeest> Oops, brb
 251 [20:11:55] <Rocket2DMn> drs305, that's not necessarily true (though it is often best not to really get stuff up to date until release time)
 252 [20:11:58] <drs305> But definitely we need to know how Lucid relates to our wiki pages.
 253 [20:12:03] <Rocket2DMn> UserInterfaceFreeze comes before Beta1
 254 [20:12:30] <drs305> But the graphics never seem to be finalized until late in the cycle.
 255 [20:12:50] <drs305> For backgrounds at least.
 256 [20:13:22] <duanedesign> A lot of wiki pages are a matter of going through the guide in the new version and make changes were appropriate. I am sure it varies but a lot can just be updated. No?
 257 [20:13:50] <Rocket2DMn> Yeah, a lot of it is reviewing pages that you "maintain" (and i use that term loosely as this is an open wiki)
 258 [20:14:19] <drs305> I have about 10 wiki/doc pages I feel 'responsible' for. I plan on having all my updates ready for publishing on release day.
 259 [20:14:31] <starcraftman> duanedesign: aye, that seems so. Though sometimes it's easier to just make a new page with some really out dated pages.
 260 [20:15:09] <drs305> Which goes back to Rocket2DMn's point. We should get familiar with Lucid, especiailly since it's a LTS.
 261 [20:16:09] <starcraftman> drs305: aye, so then our main focus we should make for this cycle primarily will be updating of old pages. Sounds good.
 262 [20:16:12] <Rocket2DMn> starcraftman, it is a rare case when that is needed, but it does happen, esp. for key pages that need to be supported for LTS
 263 [20:16:42] <starcraftman> Action to get there, folks install VM + lucid then scan all old pages they maintain (and don't) and update as needed. Yes?
 264 [20:16:53] <Rocket2DMn> One thing that does need to be up-to-date in advance of the release is System Documentation
 265 [20:18:34] <Rocket2DMn> Anybody who wants to help with that, let me know :)  Even just reviewing the existing documentation is a big help
 266 [20:19:05] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: that is true. Maybe we should have a day when ya can go through and give more wiki minded folks some exposure what needs doing?
 267 [20:19:25] <Rocket2DMn> sure
 268 [20:19:30] <duanedesign> good idea
 269 [20:19:41] <duanedesign> a doc day
 270 [20:20:06] <starcraftman> duanedesign: I try to make em all good, honest, Canada domination one yet to pan out.
 271 [20:20:38] <starcraftman> duanedesign: well, I dunno bout whole day, but yes, maybe a bit modeled like user days where rocket, I and a few others could cover a few topics of itnerest.
 272 [20:21:12] <starcraftman> It's a thought. Though I think wiki side pretty easy to get into.
 273 [20:22:00] <Rocket2DMn> yeah, wiki is easier to get into if you want to make changes to the documentation yourself
 274 [20:22:24] <Rocket2DMn> however, most of the BT is fairly comfortable using LP which means they can file bug reports against bad/incorrect documentation, which is a great help for system docs
 275 [20:23:53] <duanedesign> definetly
 276 [20:25:47] <starcraftman> K, so I guess that'll be our primary goal, updating docs to lucid and combing over old ones for problems. And be sure to get VM lucid for everyone. That summarize?
 277 [20:26:19] <starcraftman> And anyone with questions on sys-docs can see rocket, since he volunteered :)
 278 [20:26:20] <duanedesign> sounds good
 279 [20:26:41] <Rocket2DMn> sounds good
 280 [20:26:48] <forestpiskie> night then - I am reallyoff this time ...
 281 [20:26:56] <starcraftman> ok then, if that's it, I think we had a good. I'm at the end of agenda, unless someone has another topic?
 282 [20:27:02] <cjohnston> night forestpiskie
 283 [20:27:10] <starcraftman> Also, we went 27 minutes over hehe.
 284 [20:27:17] <starcraftman> evening cjohnston
 285 [20:27:23] <cjohnston> hey starcraftman
 286 [20:27:23] <-- forestpiskie (n=elfy@ubuntu/member/forestpixie) has quit
 287 [20:27:31] -*- cjohnston reciently woke up
 288 [20:27:44] <cjohnston> and its about time to go back to bed
 289 [20:27:47] <starcraftman> anything to add last minute Rocket2DMn and duanedesign?
 290 [20:27:58] <Rocket2DMn> nope
 291 [20:28:16] <starcraftman> ok then.... going going.....
 292 [20:28:22] -*- starcraftman smacks gavel down.
 293 [20:28:26] <starcraftman> Meeting over.

BeginnersTeam/Meetings/WikiFG/20100109 (last edited 2010-01-10 01:55:10 by starcraft.man)