Sunday, December 2nd, 2007, 7:00pm (1900) PDT
- Booth application submitted. We'll probably get accepted.
- Canonical will probably have a booth. Flannel will email them to get "swag".
- Postpone specific plans (number of people at booth, etc.) until we get accepted.
- Launchpad Membership Timeouts
- Flannel set our Launchpad group to not expire members automatically. This was intended to be a temporary setting.
- Expiry is good because it gives us an idea of how many active/interested members we have. People would be emailed every so often asking if they want to stay in the group; if they don't reply, they get expired out of it.
- Discussion of how long between emails. No clear consensus, so the topic was moved to the mailing list.
- Installfest postmortem
- Case badges were a hit. We distributed a CD! Not much actual installing went on, though.
- nhaines presented on FOSS, instead of his original GPG plan.
- Pictures didn't come out well because of weird lighting.
- Release party
The party at BarCamp LA was really cool! Next time, we should stay longer and do an Ubuntu presentation in the breakout room.
- Some people thought we were from Canonical (because of Ubuntu t-shirts and nametags?). The nametags were really cool, though.
- The-Kernel proposed that we package the Jabber server program "Openfire"
- Consider asking the creators, Jive Software, to do it for us
- Updates as The-Kernel researches it will be posted on the mailing list
- Launchpad Membership Timeouts
- Installfest postmortem
19:16 < Flannel> So, our agenda for the evening: SCaLE, LP expiry, our gutsy-fest postmortem, and then The-Kernel and his shenanigans. 19:16 < nhaines> Sounds good. 19:16 < Flannel> Believe the SCaLE stuff is just a heads-up/progress report. I'll let Yasumoto begin, since I don't want to steal his fire. 19:17 < cactaur> Isn't he still eating? 19:17 < Yasumoto> haha, thanks Flannel 19:17 < cactaur> oh, never mind. 19:17 < Yasumoto> nope, I got back a bit ago :) 19:17 < Flannel> cactaur: He's getting his keyboard messy 19:17 < nhaines> Congrats. :) 19:17 < Yasumoto> well, we've submitted 19:17 < Flannel> (our application to have a boot) 19:17 < Flannel> booth) 19:17 < Yasumoto> so now we can just chill out a bit until we hear back 19:18 < Yasumoto> we should get in, so that's no biggie 19:18 < Yasumoto> supposedly canonical will have a presence, which would be sweet 19:18 < Yasumoto> otherwise, things are on track 19:18 < Flannel> And Ive got the email of the people at canonical we need to get a hold of for swag. 19:18 < Yasumoto> swag++ 19:18 < Flannel> So, stuffs looking good in that department too. 19:18 < cactaur> swag? Pirates? 19:18 < Flannel> cactaur: Arrr. 19:19 < nhaines> How many do we need to man the booth? 19:19 < Yasumoto> other than that, it'd be good for people to think about their schedules 19:19 < Flannel> Oh, hey. SCaLE is Southern California Linux Expo. It's in February. 19:19 < Yasumoto> and if anyone wants to get a hotel room (together or separately) 19:20 < Yasumoto> /end update 19:20 < Yasumoto> questions/comments/opinions welcome 19:20 < Flannel> Its Fri/Sat/Sun I believe. And, no idea on people numbers yet. I imagine we'll know that once we're accepted. 19:20 * nhaines gives a sidelong glance at Gareth. 19:20 < nhaines> Okay. 19:21 < Flannel> Alright, so, next is the Launchpad thing. https://launchpad.net/~california.team/+members 19:22 < Flannel> You'll notice (or maybe only I see it, I dont know) that since I've taken the reigns, I haven't had any expiration date on membership 19:22 < Flannel> this was originally going to just be temporary, and it still is... just a long temporary thing. 19:22 * cactaur sees expiration dates. 19:22 < Flannel> The benefits of having an expiration date... oh, before benefits. 19:22 < Flannel> cactaur: Not on about half the people 19:22 < Flannel> right? 19:22 < cactaur> ah, ok 19:22 < Flannel> right. 19:23 < Flannel> When you expire, or a month before, or something (theres a grace period) you get sent an email and are offered to renew or not 19:23 < cactaur> sounds good. 19:23 < Flannel> this isn't designed to be a kick-out sort of thing, but what this will do, is allow us to have a more true feeling for how many people we have involved. 19:23 < nhaines> Quite prudent. 19:24 < Flannel> People who show up once, sign up, and then don't show up again, will be phased out after X amount of tim. 19:24 < Flannel> time. 19:25 < The-Kernel> I'm part of the team but I don't see myself in there. 19:25 < Flannel> The only question is how long should we have that time be? We ought to come up with a few schemes and then vote to decide. 19:25 < Flannel> The-Kernel: have you ever applied for LP membership? 19:25 < cactaur> The-Kernel: I see Thomas Crowe 19:25 < The-Kernel> OH, never mind 19:26 < nhaines> I vote for 3 days. 19:26 < nhaines> It's not every day, but it also invites active thought. 19:27 < cactaur> nhaines: Do you mean the grace period or the membership? 19:27 < nhaines> Membership. 19:27 < Flannel> We can get pretty creative too, if we want. Or simple. Either 1 year, 2 years, whatever. Or something more compicated like 2 months at first, then annual, bi-annual, whatever. 19:27 < cactaur> Eehhh, I wouldn't want to get an e-mail every three days. It'll get annoying after a while. 19:27 < nhaines> Oh, really? I think two months and then 8 (rest of the year) and yearly would be good. 19:27 < nhaines> Also pretend I said 10 instead of 8! 19:27 < Flannel> Heh. 19:28 < nhaines> Hi, harkonen. 19:28 < Flannel> Well, as we can see, this ought to be discussed and considered, so I motion it gets moved to the ML, with eventual voting on LP. 19:28 < nhaines> I second. 19:28 < harkonen> hey i know im'm missing the meeting 19:28 < The-Kernel> I third 19:29 < harkonen> I fourth 19:29 < Flannel> Hah. 19:29 < cactaur> I nth 19:29 < Flannel> Anyone else have anything to add at the moment? 19:29 < The-Kernel> Ithink we should just label them in active 19:29 < The-Kernel> inactive* 19:29 < The-Kernel> instead of kicking them 19:30 < nhaines> Are we really using Launchpad for more than a sort of approximate roll call? 19:31 < Flannel> The-Kernel: I dont know if we have that capability in LP. I do know it keeps people who have timed out in a second list (see the bottom here: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntumembers/+members ) 19:31 < Flannel> nhaines: Its a rollsheet, and also where we're doing our voting. 19:31 < Flannel> For whatever we feel the need to vote about 19:31 < nhaines> Aha, didn't know we were going to use it for voting. 19:32 < nhaines> Looks like the old term was 2 years like Ubuntu memberships. 19:32 < Flannel> yeah, ubuntu membership is two years. 19:33 < Flannel> Anyway. Lets see. Next item? 19:33 < Flannel> Ah, right. Gutsy-fest stuff. 19:33 < nhaines> I was in the other room during the installfest. How'd it go? 19:34 < harkonen> I demo'd Ubuntu Studio to a professor. 19:34 < Yasumoto> harkonen: nice :) 19:34 < Flannel> I spoke with some guy who works at the school district about edubuntu/ubuntu/et al. 19:34 < cactaur> nhaines: Well, we got discussion, but not much installation. 19:34 < nhaines> Flannel: was that the guy with the press pass? 19:34 < Flannel> We didn't do an ounce of installation. But did hand out a CD. 19:34 < Flannel> nhaines: yeah 19:35 < harkonen> the case badges were a hit. a few people asked me for some. 19:35 < nhaines> I burned a CD for an old man who listened to my talk and wanted to wipe Windows from his laptop. 19:35 < cactaur> and made some money with the case badges. 19:35 < cactaur> yeah, harkonen beat me to it. 19:35 < Flannel> Case badges sold like hot potatoes, yeah. 19:35 < harkonen> nhaines: wow the success story of the fest 19:36 < Flannel> And nhaines had a wonderful ad-hoc presentation 19:36 < Flannel> on FOSS, because GPG failed him. 19:36 < nhaines> It was nice. He came up to me as I was coming down the stage and asked how he could get one of those discs I was talking about. 19:36 < nhaines> haha, because the wifi failed me, too! 19:36 < The-Kernel> Flannel ping me when you're ready 19:36 < The-Kernel> I have to get back to doing homework 19:36 < nhaines> But I hope to polish some stuff up and get something or other on YouTube. 19:36 < cactaur> oh yeah, nhaines, how did those pictures turn out? 19:37 < harkonen> nhaines: yeah put it up on youtube and let me know 19:37 < nhaines> cactaur: not well, but one or two were not too horrible! 19:37 < cactaur> *sigh* yeah. The lighting was really weird. 19:37 < nhaines> cactaur: It's almost impossible to get good shots in the dark without a tripod on a tiny camera like that. :) 19:38 < Flannel> Oh, for those of you who don't know. We had our gutsy party at BarCamp LA. After much tribulation about the location. 19:38 < cactaur> heh 19:38 < harkonen> Barcamp was so friggin cool. well worth the anxiety of the location. 19:39 < cactaur> yep! 19:39 < Flannel> Anything else? 19:40 < nhaines> I think next time we're at Barcamp, we should just do a single presentation in the breakout room or whatever similar, and just do a "come around and check out Ubuntu" type of deal. 19:40 < cactaur> yeah 19:40 < harkonen> yes that;s a good idea 19:40 < cactaur> And the next time we're at Barcamp, we'll make arrangements to stay LONGER. 19:40 < nhaines> It'll be more suited for the venue and we can prepare a tour of Ubuntu sort of deal. 19:40 < Flannel> I agree. We weren't adequately situated for the venue. 19:41 < nhaines> I think we proved our think-on-our-feets skills. :) 19:41 < cactaur> We're Californians! Of course we can think on our feet! 19:41 * harkonen pretends he's not from NYC 19:42 < nhaines> But let's do 8.04 installfest not at a barcamp. :) 19:42 < Flannel> Definately not with Hardy. 19:42 < cactaur> Maybe we can alternate. 19:42 < Flannel> But, we'll also be fresh off SCaLE for Hardy release. So, we might not wait so long to begin planning. 19:42 < nhaines> I think we should do Barcamps in the future, but let's do installfests elsewhere. 19:43 < harkonen> Doesn't have to be just one installfest. i think it's great to reprazent at Barcamp. 19:43 < Flannel> I agree. They really serve two purposes. one is installation, the other is more education. 19:43 < Flannel> Or at least, hype. 19:43 < harkonen> to a lot of those people we WERE ubuntu. it was kinda weird. 19:44 < Flannel> harkonen: Howso? 19:44 < nhaines> Yeah, I don't think my Ubuntu shirt helped. :) 19:44 < cactaur> But the badges did. 19:44 < nhaines> I was asked many times if I was *from* Canonical. 19:44 < harkonen> yeah the ubuntu sweater really gave the iimpression i think that we were, like, paid ubuntu people or something 19:44 < cactaur> and the cool name tags. 19:44 < nhaines> Oh yeah, everybody loved the badges. 19:44 < Flannel> Ah right. Definate props to nhaines for the tags. 19:44 < harkonen> nhaines: yeah they asked me that a lot too. 19:45 < nhaines> Thanks. :) I was worried that they might not be appropriate for barcamp but I just wore both of mine and only got compliments. 19:45 < Yasumoto> nhaines: yeah, they were way sick :) 19:45 < Flannel> They'll be more visible at SCaLE too, since there'll be real lighting. 19:45 < cactaur> hahaha 19:46 < nhaines> Thanks to Scunizi for the excellent bear addition to the logo. 19:46 < nhaines> It *really* seals the logo, I think. 19:46 < harkonen> yeah i like our logo. it's cool. 19:46 < Flannel> So, moving on to our last thing of the evening. The-Kernel has a project proposition I believe. 19:47 < cactaur> Let's ALL ping The-Kernel! 19:47 < Yasumoto> The-Kernel: ping 19:47 < cactaur> The-Kernel: ping 19:48 < Flannel> While we're waiting, anyone else have anything for the evening? 19:48 < The-Kernel> ok 19:48 < cactaur> IRC Christmas party? 19:48 < The-Kernel> I'm here 19:48 < nhaines> Welcome back. :) 19:48 < The-Kernel> sorry, it was an awesome word problem 19:48 < The-Kernel> anyways 19:48 < cactaur> hahha, no problem, The-Kernel. 19:48 < The-Kernel> I propose a project that we should do. 19:49 < The-Kernel> It is taking the Jabber Server program "Openfire" and converting it to a .deb 19:49 < harkonen> Cool 19:50 < nhaines> Oh yeah. Are you thinking about maintaining it for universe? 19:50 < The-Kernel> Openfire is an extremely popular Jabber Server Deamon, but it has never been ported to .deb because it depends on JAva 19:50 < cactaur> Oooohhhhh 19:50 < nhaines> We can just do a dependency on one of the Java packages. 19:51 < The-Kernel> Yes, we can 19:51 < harkonen> Can java stuff not be included in a .deb? 19:51 < nhaines> harkonen: not a virtual machine, it wouldn't be proper. 19:52 < The-Kernel> It would take someone to actually cross it over to a .deb, and then as many as the teams members as possible to test it. 19:52 < The-Kernel> Sorry if I'm slow, my ping is 12 seconds 19:52 < Flannel> harkonen: java is in multiverse now 19:53 < Flannel> harkonen: or rather, sun java is in multiverse now 19:53 < Flannel> blackdown has been in universe(?) since forever. 19:53 < cactaur> The-Kernel: Would that be a simple checkinstall thing? 19:53 < Yasumoto> The-Kernel: that's a great idea 19:53 < Flannel> erm, main. I suppose 19:53 < The-Kernel> cactaur yes, just install it, and report whatever bugs and problems 19:54 < cactaur> And who will fix them? 19:54 < The-Kernel> now that java is in the more accessible repo's this is possible. 19:54 < Flannel> cactaur: Checkinstall isn't designed for proper distributed debs. But packaging isn't too terribly complicated. 19:54 < nhaines> And who will maintain the deb? How often does Openfire update? 19:54 < cactaur> Flannel: Ah, ok. 19:54 < The-Kernel> I guess I would, as best as I could, openfire is a very active project right now. 19:55 < cactaur> Will we have the title: MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!? 19:55 < Flannel> The-Kernel: As for hosting the deb, you probably ought to look into PPA 19:55 < The-Kernel> will do 19:56 < Flannel> It'll allow you to do it properly until you can get it included whereever. 19:56 < Flannel> multiverse probably. 19:56 < Flannel> The-Kernel: Does openfires license permit redistribution? 19:56 < nhaines> Flannel: it's GPL dual licensed. 19:56 < nhaines> The-Kernel: could Jive Software be persuaded to produce their own deb? 19:57 < The-Kernel> Flannel yes it does, it is a dual-license product under both commercial and opensource, we of course will use the opensource version 19:58 < The-Kernel> Right now it's just a proposition, They are having a live chat thing with the developers in thee days, in which I'll get more info. 19:58 < Flannel> The-Kernel: Sounds good then. I agree with nhaines, you might want to ask Jive abotu getting an official deb from them. 19:59 < Flannel> Sounds good 19:59 < harkonen> The-Kernel: where can we get updates on this as you learn more about it? 19:59 < The-Kernel> Most defiantly, if they can produce a deb, why not make them do it! 19:59 < The-Kernel> You mean get updates from me personally? 20:00 < The-Kernel> well, I would post it in my blog, but it's down at the moment until I can get it fixed. 20:01 < Flannel> The-Kernel: Write up something all encompassing once you get answers to whatever and send it to the mailing list. 20:01 < Flannel> all encompassing for those of us who aren't here tonight and such. 20:01 < The-Kernel> Will do Flannel! 20:02 < Flannel> Alright, so, I think that about wraps that up. Anything else anyone would like to bring up or discuss? 20:03 < Flannel> With that, I think we'll go ahead and adjourn. Next meeting is in two weeks as always. December 16, 1900PST. 20:03 < Flannel> Thank you all for coming. Refreshments will be served in the back. 20:03 < harkonen> mmm! wait a minute.... 20:03 < nhaines> Thanks, everyone. :)