Sunday, July 13th, 2008, 7:00pm (1900) PDT


  1. Lindependence
    1. Lindependence is going on right now; a couple of people from the Lo`Co are there.

    2. Events list: http://www.lindependence.net

  2. Ubuntu Live

    1. Canceled this year Sad :(

    2. We weren't planning anything specific for it, but it was on our events list.
  3. CaliforniaTeam/UserGroupContacts

    1. Prototype version put together by Grant
    2. Maybe not a good idea to put email addresses on it (spambots), but the addresses are needed
      1. Maybe cover it on a case-by-case basis?
      2. Grant will remove them for now, and think about it later
  4. Linux World Expo
    1. Aug 4-7, in San Francisco; deadline for registrations was the 11th
    2. Free exhibit hall passes until the 3rd
  5. GlobalBugJam

    1. Weekend of August 8th - 10th. We'll be partitipating in it on one of those days
    2. Yasumoto is getting a room at Chapman University in Orange
    3. Hopefully will also have an IRC presence for the North California people
    4. Maybe have a keysigning party too
  6. SGVLUG Presentation
    1. We're giving a presentation to the San Gabriel Valley LUG on August 14
    2. Everyone welcome to attend
    3. Presentation topics: general overview of Ubuntu; new stuff in Intrepid
  7. Intrepid release party
    1. Intrepid's released on October 30th
    2. Some ideas: food, installfest, halloween theme!
    3. Discussion moved to mailing list
  8. UbuntuFriendlyHardwareSuppliers

    1. Several options: just going to local computer stores and talking to them about Ubuntu, asking to leave Ubuntu CDs, asking them to provide Ubuntu computers, etc.
  9. Ubuntu at Best Buy!
    1. Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanhaines/sets/72157606150722300/

    2. Blog entry: http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=1262

    3. 8.04 with 60 days of support for $20
    4. Package actually created by Valusoft
    5. Discussion on selling GPL software (yes you can!)

Original Agenda

  1. Lindependence in Felton, CA July 13 (today), and more!

  2. Ubuntu Live Portland, OR July 21 - this is listed in the goals on our wiki page - Been cancelled for this year.

  3. UserGroupContacts - see the mailing list

  4. Linux World Expo is at the San Francisco Moscone Center Aug 4-7

    • Canonical is a sponsor
    • Ubucon - Thursday, August 7 - a description is at the bottom left of linuxworldexpo.com and Ubucon

    • has anyone talked to Canonical about this?
  5. GlobalBugJam Aug 8-10 - what physical and virtual meetings are being planned?

  6. SGVLUG Presentation - Aug 14
  7. Planning for Intrepid Ibex 8.10 (release shindig?)
  8. UbuntuFriendlyHardwareSuppliers - is this something we want to take on as a project?

  9. Ubuntu is now on sale at Best Buy


19:10 < Flannel> Alright, welcome everyone to our July 13th Ubuntu California meeting (the Lindependence Edition).  We've got a good agenda lined up for tonight, you can all take a look at it here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/08July13
19:10 < Flannel> For those of you without a browser, or who have already read it and need a recap, our topics for tonight are:
19:10 < Flannel> 1) Lindependence, 2) Ubuntu Live, 3) User Group Contacts page, 4) Linux World Expo, 5) Global Bug Jam, 6) SGVLUG Presentation, 7) Intrepid Planning, 8) Ubuntu Friendly Hardware Suppliers, 9) Best Buy
19:10 < Flannel> Anyone have any topics to add at this time?
19:11 < Flannel> Alright.  So, we'll move right along to our first topic.
19:11 < Flannel> Lindependence is going on as we speak.  And we've got a number of people here who are attending currently.
19:12 < Flannel> There's another session on Tuesday, and from what I understand, may be more in the future as well.
19:12 < Flannel> Lindependence people, how's it been today?
19:13 < troyready> path = /path/to/somewhere
19:13 < troyready> public = yes
19:13 < troyready> writable = yes
19:13 < troyready> (sorry)
19:13 < gbFelton> We helped many people here in Felton today.  Larry did a great job pulling together this first event.
19:13 < gbFelton> see http://www.lindependence.net for more info on coming events
19:13 < gbFelton> videos will be posted later
19:13 < jercos> I rather enjoyed it. Though it would have been nice to have some 'net, or maybe an ubuntu packages DVD...
19:14 < ryaxnb> I'd like to go on the 15th
19:14 < Flannel> Oh, right.  For those of you who are new to our meetings, don't worry about interrupting me.  Just blurt out whatever.
19:15 < symptom> is lindependence only in felton?
19:15 < gbFelton> yes, only in Felton
19:15 < gbFelton> but,it can happen wherever
19:16 < nhaines> gbFelton: You'll have to write up a HOWTO.  :)
19:16 < gbFelton> Grantbow stepped afk for a sec; this is sn9
19:16 < gbFelton> he says"leave the howto to larry"
19:17 < jercos> What distros (I mean, aside from the obvious given, ubuntu) would we like to have on hand for tuesday?
19:17 < ryaxnb> How about Mandriva?
19:17 < gbFelton> other *buntus?
19:17 < jercos> I have a *ton* of blank disks, and way too much time on my hands, plus the power of like, 6 burners.
19:18 < ryaxnb> I could get Mandriva One
19:18 < gbFelton> mint, mandriva...
19:18 < ryaxnb> and maybe OpenSuSE
19:18 < Flannel> You guys can talk after the meeting, if you don't mind
19:18 < jercos> gotcha.
19:19 < Flannel> So, next topic is Ubuntu Live.
19:19 < gbFelton> it's more on-topic in #lindep0endence, anyway
19:19 < symptom> ubuntustudio would be sick
19:19 < gbFelton> * #lindependence
19:19 < nhaines> Flannel: were we plannng a presence at Ubuntu Live?
19:20 < Flannel> nhaines: Ubuntu Live was cancelled for this year
19:20 < nhaines> Flannel: I am aware.
19:20 < nhaines> I just couldn't remember if we had been planning something.
19:20 < ryaxnb>  ah nuts
19:20 < Flannel> So, not this year, at any rate.  In the future, we could.
19:20 < gbFelton> there is also ubucon
19:20 < danage> hi nabcore
19:21 < Flannel> We weren't planning anything specific for this year before it was cancelled, no.
19:21  * nabcore waves
19:21 < symptom> is there a page on the loco site with all of the upcoming conventions (there locations, times, cost, subjects etc
19:21 < symptom> )
19:21 < nhaines> So anyhow, Ubuntu Live was cancelled, but some of the planned events were rolled into OSCON.
19:22 < gbFelton> ok
19:22 < nhaines> symptom: no.
19:22 < Flannel> symptom: There's https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ConferenceAppearances but that only includes things people are attending (and only if they include it)
19:22 < symptom> wow ty
19:24 < Flannel> If we'd like to attend as a LoCo next year, we can follow up when the next one is announced,
19:25 < troyready> Always up north?
19:26 < Flannel> 2007 and 2008 were both in Portland, so likely.
19:26 < Flannel> (2007 was the first year)
19:26 < symptom> troyready, Im waiting for something more south as well... maybe San Diego...
19:26 < troyready> Well, excuses for trips are cool; the longer the notice the better
19:27 < symptom> true
19:27 < Flannel> Just keep your eyes open
19:28 < symptom> rgr
19:28 < Flannel> Moving on to the next topic, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/UserGroupContacts is a prototype version of the contacts list we had discussed previously
19:28 < Flannel> GrantBow was nice enough to throw it together for us.
19:29 < gbFelton> yes, comments welcome :-)
19:29 < troyready> Nicely done sir
19:29 < jercos> wikiriffic
19:30 < ryaxnb> perfect
19:30 < symptom> gj gb
19:30 < gbFelton> without objections we can start using it
19:30 < ryaxnb> Capitalization would be nice
19:31 < gbFelton> ryaxnb: good  suggestion, will do.
19:31 < nhaines> ryaxnb: I'm sure that can come in time.
19:31 < Flannel> smaller errors will be corrected over time.
19:31 < ryaxnb> excellent
19:31 < Flannel> The only thing I can think of is it may not be a good idea to put emails of contacts out there like hat
19:32 < jercos> yeah, perfect for web-trawling spambots...
19:32 < troyready> lol
19:32 < jercos> maybe base64 it, and have some javascript change it to cleartext?
19:32 < gbFelton> Flannel: ok, we can remove those, np
19:33 < Flannel> gbFelton: We'll have to figure something out.  Since we do need some sort of method of contacting.
19:33 < ryaxnb> I like jercos sugggestion
19:33 < jercos> or require a captcha before providing email addresses?
19:33 < ryaxnb> that's good too
19:33 < ryaxnb> better even
19:33 < nhaines> jercos: this is not possible with the wiki provided by Cannonical.
19:33 < troyready> Can we put a captcha on the wiki?
19:34 < nhaines> I'm just misspelling everything today.  :)
19:34 < Flannel> We can't do anything like technical like that, due to the wiki... yeah, what nhaines said
19:34 < jercos> simple obfuscation, like php.net does?
19:35 < Flannel> some people may not care.  So, maybe we'll cover it on a case by case basis.
19:35 < Flannel> or at least, in lieu of some better all encompassing solution
19:35 < gbFelton> short term I will  remove them - we can try other solutions for implementing later.
19:36 < Flannel> Alright, so I suppose that ends that topic.  Moving on to the next one: Linux World Expo
19:36 < gbFelton> perhaps our contact people can pass around a private contacts list
19:36 < gbFelton> LWE - it's soon
19:36 < Flannel> gbFelton: Indeed.  We'll look into some alternatives
19:36 < sn9> i've been looking over gbFelton's shoulder and taking turns at the keyboard
19:37 < Flannel> LWE is Aug 4-7, in San Francisco
19:37 < sn9> finally noticed the wpa key printed on the side of the router and fired up my laptop
19:37 < sn9> LWE deadline for regular registrations was the 11th
19:38 < troyready> Those were some painful prices
19:38 < troyready> (they could be great deals, but just looking objectively)
19:38 < sn9> they've gotta be higher now
19:38 < troyready> Yeah, like a $100
19:39 < sn9> by regular, i mean early-bird
19:39 < dsilvers> sorry I'm late
19:39 < sn9> free exhibit hall passes run up until the 3rd\
19:43 < Flannel> alright, so.  Anyone have anything else re: LWE?
19:43 < Flannel> Next topic is Global Bug Jam
19:44 < Flannel> We're participating in it, Yasumoto is getting (already booked?) a room at Chapman University, in Orange
19:45 < Flannel> GBJ is the weekend of Aug 8-10, but we'll be getting together on one of those days.  Unfortunately Yasumoto isn't here tonight to confirm the date, but we'll get it out to you with specifics on the mailing list as soon as we can.
19:45 < gbFelton> I'm still looking for a global bug  jam time and location the SF area - more  info to follow
19:46 < sn9> i still lament the lack of a presence at LWE/linuxpicnic for the global bug jam
19:46 < Flannel> We'll be in the IRC channel as well, and we may be able to stream something to connect people who are far away
19:47 < Flannel> So, keep your eyes on the mailing list, and you'll get everything you need to participate.
19:47 < Flannel> As it gets closer, we'll also include things you need to do beforehand (get a launchpad account, etc)
19:47 < nhaines> The SoCal GBJ event will also be preceded by a keysigning party, right?
19:48 < Flannel> For those of you who don'tknow, a Global Bug Jam is when we all get together to do bug work.  Which isn't necessarily fixing bugs (not everyone codes), but even triaging.  Triaiging is perhaps the most important part of bug work.
19:48 < Flannel> We probably will have a keysigning, but it isn't required to participate.
19:48 < Flannel> We'll just have one because we'll all be there.
19:49 < Flannel> Anyone have Questions/comments/suggestions about GBJ?
19:49 < sn9> well, i still have the idea of a team ppa
19:50 < Flannel> Alright.  Our next topic is the SGVLUG presentation.
19:50 < Flannel> We're giving a presentation to the San Gabriel Valley LUG on August 14.
19:50 < nhaines> That's practically a month away!
19:50 < Flannel> It is practically a month away.
19:50 < sn9> more
19:51 < Flannel> Everyone is encouraged and welcome to attend.  We'll cover Ubuntu, some upcoming features of Intrepid, and have an all around good time.
19:52 < Flannel> If you have any topics you think we should cover, be sure to let myself or nhaines know.  We're open to suggestions.
19:52 < nhaines> I've already installed Intrepid on my laptop with the DarkHuman theme to prepare.
19:52 < Flannel> nhaines: Dark Human is just a trial theme, by the way
19:52 < ryaxnb> Ubuntu looks & theming & styles & appearance need love...
19:52 < sn9> mwahahahaha…
19:52 < nhaines> Yes, I'm aware, but it'll look distinct.
19:53 < ryaxnb> That could be a good topic somewhere..
19:53 < Flannel> ryaxnb: What do you mean?
19:53 < ryaxnb> not sure...
19:53 < Flannel> Sounds good
19:53 < ryaxnb> Maybe not at the lug...
19:53 < Flannel> ryaxnb: If you get more sure, or want to spitball later, meeting shouldn't take too much longer, and we'd love to discuss topics for [whatever]
19:54 < jercos> one could call it a bug, I suppose...
19:54 < jercos> :P
19:54 < ryaxnb> but developers need to know how to make good looking themes and why they should, and howto package for Ubuntu
19:54 < sn9> another use for a team ppa...
19:55 < Flannel> Next topic for tonight is: Intrepid planning.
19:55 < Flannel> 8.10 is scheduled for Release on October 30.  We should start thinking about what we want to do for it.
19:56 < jercos> I'm thinking cake. lot of cake.
19:56 < sn9> halloween party?
19:56 < jercos> lots*
19:56 < nhaines> Food sounds like fun again, and of course an installfest might be called for as well.
19:56 < gbFelton> I'd like  to see  an Ibex costume, lol
19:56 < troyready> Ooooh, my first installfest; I'd like that
19:56 < Flannel> I imagine this discussion will be best served on the mailing list.
19:57 < gbFelton> sounds good
19:57 < gbFelton> there's time
19:57  * Secutor is away: Gone away for now.
19:58 < nhaines> We'll have to see what makes it into Intrepid to see whether or not we want to push for new installs or focus on 8.04 to 8.10 upgrades.
19:58 < Flannel> Yeah, Intrepid needs to take a bit more shape before we decide to push it on an unsuspecting public
19:58 < nhaines> And we'll still have 8.04 on hand, since it's an LTS and some people will really, really want that stability.
19:59 < nhaines> It's a great selling point.  Want a shiny new OS every 6 months?  Great.  Want a shiny new OS only every 2 years?  Got that covered too.
19:59 < nhaines> Remember that 8.04 to 8.10 upgrade must be triggered.
20:00 < Flannel> Alright, our next (and penultimate) topic is Ubuntu Friendly Hardware Suppliers.
20:00 < sn9> nhaines: not if you set your prefs to auto-pull it
20:01 < Flannel> gbFelton: Want to talk about it?
20:01 < gbFelton> ok
20:01 < gbFelton> This  is a established way to contact  local  hardware suppliers and get the word out.
20:02 < gbFelton> all it requires is a wiki page to keep track of contacts
20:02 < Flannel> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFriendlyHardwareSuppliers
20:02 < Flannel> for those of you following along at home
20:02 < gbFelton> yup, thanks for the link
20:02 < gbFelton> It also gives people a way to participate even if they aren't close to other activities.
20:03 < troyready> I checked it out earlier -- my initial reaction was that it seemed weird that the tracking would be at the LoCo level
20:03 < troyready> Was I wrong in perceiving that there's likely to be overlap?
20:03 < nhaines> troyready: well, we would track local shops.
20:03 < gbFelton> I don't think there's any other  efforts in this area.
20:03 < Flannel> troyready: From what I understand, this is more of a local supplier, like "Joes Computers" down the street.
20:04 < troyready> Ahhhh, very good
20:04 < gbFelton> even if there is overlap - it just shows larger suppliers that  interest exists
20:04 < ryaxnb> makes sense, I know of one, user friendly computing *resolves to ask about Linux at USF*
20:04 < gbFelton> overlap of contacts
20:04 < gbFelton> I can set up the wiki page if it is  something we want to do.
20:04 < sn9> ryaxnb: u of south FL or u of sanfran?
20:05 < ryaxnb> of felton, ca south of san jose
20:05 < sn9> what's the S?
20:05 < ryaxnb> what?
20:05 < sn9> uSf
20:05 < ryaxnb> felton, ca, usa, 95018
20:05 < troyready> Well, we should certainly do our part then, and set up our wiki
20:06 < jercos> yes indeedy.
20:06 < ryaxnb> USer Friendly computing, stupid abreviation...
20:06 < sn9> oh
20:07 < nhaines> Okay, well, I'm certainly happy if people want to start inquiring respectfully at their local computer shops.  :)
20:08 < gbFelton> ok, I'll work  on it this week.
20:08 < Flannel> Even if you don't feel comfortable talking about them selling computers with Ubuntu, you can always leave a few CDs, or ask if its alright to leave CDs in a CD stand (theres a paper stand you can make as well)
20:08 < Flannel> Or if they don't feel comfortable selling computers with Ubuntu
20:09 < Flannel> Theres a number of levels of participation that they can agree to.  Even just getting the word out helps.
20:09 < sn9> ken starks (heliOS) installed mandriva on his ubuntu laptop from zareason a few minutes ago
20:09 < sn9> he had a spare partition
20:10 < gbFelton> Flannel: good ideas, I'll include them on the page.
20:10 < Flannel> moving on to our last topic of the evening,
20:10 < Flannel> Ubuntu is now at Best Buy!
20:11 < ryaxnb> I don't like i
20:11 < nhaines> I think it's great!
20:11 < ryaxnb> ive seen apple at bestbuy and it did nothing to help apple
20:11 < nhaines> I took a couple photos (and moved a few of boxes) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanhaines/sets/72157606150722300/
20:11 < Flannel> They're selling 8.04 with 60 days of support for $20
20:11 < sn9> but compusa did help apple...
20:11 < Flannel> http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=1262
20:11 < troyready> ryaxnb: haha
20:11 < ryaxnb> same with Ubuntu; clueless salespeople, moronic support, and low placement
20:12 < Flannel> Has a whole bunch of pictures from the first morning.  Including all the packaging, manuals, etc.
20:12 < gbFelton> I heard support is forums only
20:12 < Flannel> Well, if you feel like it, you can go in and talk to the sales people about it
20:12 < sn9> the best buy deal will fail, because it's not done the way the compusa deal was, which was done right
20:12 < Flannel> gbFelton: Thats not true.  The company worked with Canonical to get their people trained enough to support
20:12 < nhaines> Support should be at least email-based.  Canonical has been very shy about specifics.
20:13 < gbFelton> Flannel: nice
20:13 < Flannel> gbFelton: Haven't heard actual specifics yet though
20:13 < gbFelton> specifics are important,we'll see
20:13 < sn9> there needs to be in-store support, like at compusa
20:13 < Flannel> but yeah, If you have a best buy near you, and want to remedy some of the issues ryaxnb brought up.  Go have a conversation about Ubuntu with the sales people
20:13 < nabcore> What is the $20 actually for then? The support?
20:13 < nhaines> It's very attractive packaging, I like the "You don't need a new computer, you need a new operating system!" tagline on the box (nice and upbeat).  And Geek Squad will install it for only $150.
20:13 < ryaxnb> good idea :)
20:13 < gbFelton> nabcore: yes
20:14 < troyready> Lol, with the geek squad, I don't think we'll see in-store support anytime soon
20:14 < nhaines> nabcore: for Ubuntu and packaging and support.
20:14 < nabcore> ok; so it's not the store trying to pull a fast one..
20:14 < Flannel> nabcore: It also helps get away from the "anything free has viruses"
20:14 < nabcore> interesting point
20:14 < nhaines> nabcore: I don't understand.  Best Buy only resells products from other companies.  In this case, ValueSoft.
20:14 < Flannel> Valusoft, I believe.
20:15 < nhaines> It's a very nice package, pretty CD, and looks very professional.  That cannot be underestimated.
20:15 < sn9> best buy ios playing it safe
20:15 < sn9> *is
20:15 < nhaines> Best Buy is merely selling yet another computer product from a company that already sells low-price software.
20:15 < sn9> yep
20:15 < nabcore> What I mean by "pull a fast one" is selling a cd of ubuntu and pocketing the $19 dollars.... I did not realise that are actually selling support here
20:16 < nhaines> nabcore: there's no "fast one".  Everyone has the right to sell Ubuntu.
20:16 < nhaines> I think it's a wonderful opportunity here to raise awareness of Ubuntu.  Remember that word of mouth is important and "Ubuntu" has a very, very high Google value.
20:16 < ryaxnb> that *is* a principle of the GPL: you may charge for binaries!
20:17 < nabcore> nhaines, so if I burn a copy of ubuntu and sell it for $200, is that legal?
20:17 < nhaines> And because Valusoft has partnered with Canonical, they don't have to distribute the source (Canonical handles that).
20:17 < nhaines> nabcore: yes.
20:17 < sn9> you can charge for source, too
20:17 < gbFelton> ok, ttyl, going home.  Bye from Felton <wave>
20:17 < Flannel> If you guys don't mind waiting for just a second.
20:17 < sn9> as long as it's with the binaries
20:17 < Flannel> We'll just wrap up the meeting, and you can continue discussion.
20:17 < nabcore> opps sorry
20:17 < Flannel> Thank you all for coming, and bearing with all the topics.  We'll have our next meeting in Two weeks.  July 27.  9pm!

CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/08July13 (last edited 2009-03-31 23:50:22 by rww)