For minutes of previous meetings, please see DesktopTeam/Meeting.
- Rick Spencer (rickspencer3) - chair
- Alberto Milone (tseliot)
Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)
- Chris Cheney (ccheney)
- Chris Coulson (chrisccoulson)
- Didier Roche (didrocks)
- Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
Ken VanDine (kenvandine)
- Martin Pitt (pitti)
- Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
- Travis Hartwell (Nafai)
Luke Yelavich (TheMuso)
- Robert Ancell (robert_ancell)
- Chris Halse Rogers (RAOF)
- Bryce Harrington (bryce)
- Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)
- Outstanding actions from last meeting
- Partner Update
- Kubuntu Update
- Intel 8xx bugs
- Maverick Blueprints
- Release Bugs/Release Status
- Review activity reports
- Any other business
Actions from this meeting
- quite a few bugs marked as release critical, many of which are now fixed upstream or already fix released.
- desktopcouch crashers are still alarming, upstream feels like they have fixed the known ones and should be released soon.
bug list is under control, current status here
Intel 8xx bugs
Alberto Milone (tseliot)
- LP: #248392 ia32-libs 32bit libgl search for dri at wrong place on 64bit system
- LP: #554191 fglrx causes X to segfault
- LP: #544781 nvidia-96 failed to upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04: Error! Application of patch fails
- LP: #552653 Jockey fails to install nvidia hardware driver
- Add one more quirk for Inspirons' touchpads
- LP: #539196 nvidia-settings X display configuration window doesn't work on nvidia-173 and nvidia-96
- LP: #552903 LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH wrong after deactivating and restarting computer
- LP: #552782 installation of fglrx 8.721 fails when removing a diversion on libdri.so
- LP: #538071 KMS driver blacklisting with /usr on separate partition fails (Lucid)
- LP: #556653 Nvidia build fails in chrooted system
- LP: #440233 fglrx fails at startup because of missing amdpcsdb.default + removal leaves bad settings in Xorg.conf
- LP: #553954 plymouth has a non translatable string coming up on screen
- LP: #559587 package fglrx (not installed) failed to install/upgrade: trying to overwrite '/etc/ati/signature'
Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)
Bryce Harrington (bryce)
- Re-review MT emails for what current status is
- Identify tool(s) for gesture verification
- Set up new MT system
- Preliminary testing - found out need to reinstall Win7 in order to update the firmware !?!
- Flesh out wiki page outlining steps for analyzing MT hardware
- Set up touchscreen LCD - found out it has a proprietary USB interface. Ick.
- Update X/Reporting
- Update X/Drivers
- Update driver requirements wiki page
- Document use of drm.debug=0x04 to get more debugging information in dmesg
- Document xorg.conf.d configuration
- Document Xv/X11 video configuration
- Document that if edid is not getting through a kvm or whatever, to use video=VGA1:1024x768
- Document troubleshooting process for blank screen issues using xtrace
Document paste-edid < /sys/class/drm/*/edid
- Upstream all triaged -ati bugs tagged 'lucid'
- Upstream 2 triaged -ati bugs; replan for tomorrow
- Bug Work
- Identify fixes from upstream tree for xserver
- Look for dupes of MSI bug
- Investigate IOMMU enablement issues
- Solve all high priority triaged xorg bugs tagged 'lucid'
- Obtain/upload fix for clutter crashing bug #550218
- Upstream all triaged xserver bugs tagged 'lucid'
- Request blacklist KMS for i830 (bug 542208)
- Test rebooting chideok to see if rosewell wireless mouse is detected
- Sponsor various of X patches
- Fix pci-extract.py to apply changes to all relevant -ati bugs
Make the PkgList stuff not keep historical data around
- Investigate why more incomplete bugs aren't being processed by incomplete bug processor
- Make process-new ask for users to run ubuntu-collect to attach needed files
- Make process-new-bugs.py ignore bugs starting with Please
- Short week - off Friday for vacation
Chris Cheney (ccheney)
- Preparing openoffice.org and l10n 1:3.2.0-6ubuntu1
- Lots of RC bugs fixed, only Oracle copyright update and arm patch from NCommander left before upload.
- Should be uploaded by the end of the day.
Chris Halse Rogers (RAOF)
Lots of Intel & Nouveau bugwork
Went through all the lucid Intel & Nouveau bugs
8xx chips are a mess, and don't look like they'll get fixed upstream soon. Upstream has gone through a number of suspected fixes, all of which haven't been fixes. Turning off 3D on 845 & 855, and turning of KMS on 830 should get us sufficiently stable X.
- 9xx chips seem pretty good. No serious wide-spread problems identified and a couple of relatively minor problems have workarounds.
- Nouveau's tracking surprisingly well. When it works at all, it seems to generally work quite well. When it doesn't work at all, disabling acceleration allows systems to boot. Nouveau as a better stepping stone to -nvidia was our goal for Lucid.
Disable DRI on i845 & i855 Intel chips to avoid hitting serious crasher bugs (LP: #541492, LP: #541511) - awaiting sponsoring.
- Pick up upstream fix for X startup crashes on old nv cards (LP: #547124) - awaiting sponsoring.
- Create a kernel patch to allow us to quirk acceleration off on troublesome nvidia cards
Further investigated MacBook Pro situation; infuriatingly, disabling acceleration no longer seems enough to make them bootable.
- Chase up a possible fix for LP: #558657. Test kernel waiting for reporter to verify fix.
- Push new gnome-keyring-sharp up to Debian; fix silly error identified in review, and sync fix back to Lucid.
- Half an hour's investigation as to why gnome-do now dies in the keyring. Find that libgnome-keyring seems to be much less thread-safe than g-k-s was, although g-k-s wasn't thread-safe either. Patch created, needs a little polish. Need to wire up a similar patch for Docky.
Didier Roche (didrocks)
- clutk: work with njpatel to fix the errors in some languages with wrongly ordered icons (LP: #435805). Made new release and upload.
- netbook-launcher: fix duplicate desktop folder showing in the ui (LP: #554807). Made new release and upload.
New installation and upgrade from karmic test: all seems good
- Try to install ubuntu-desktop on a fresh UNE install: success
- Try to install ubuntu-netbook on a fresh ubuntu desktop install: success
- lot of bug triaging. No bug too worrying for lucid release right now.
- metacity: fix little dead space in the button ordering. Upload new release of metacity too.
- vala: upload stable release (0.8), still some packages that needs to be transitioned, working with maintainers.
- try to debug some g-c-c bug (hang in desktop effect). chriscoulson was finally cleverer than I on that. Some good training on valgrind too.
Look at embarrassing bug #221112 encountered by French people keyboard layout (space is wrongly taken by rhythmbox for play/pause, forbidenning using it in search field). This is even more annoying as it impacts the music store too. After doing a lot of research (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9529, https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xkeyboard-config/+bug/198759, https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15804, https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/324480, https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/console-setup/+bug/89835, https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-fr-l10n/2007-February/001113.html), and tried to talk with involved people it seems we can have a workaround (currently under test on my config). Still waiting to talk to upstream people has there is no ideal solution.
- Fix some bugs to be ready to release 0.4 (export DEBSIGN_KEYID, tutorial issue, and ubuntu-pygame one)
- i18n new messages finally imported into LP \o/
- merging debug command from Nafai
- help the two students we can have for Quickly to setup their GSoC proposal
completing and registring UNE default app and settings (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-maverick-une-app-selection) and Quickly (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-maverick-quickly/) blueprints.
proposing OneConf (see item in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/10.10/BlueprintList)
- notation in ubuntu GSoC proposal
Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
Ken VanDine (kenvandine)
- fixed the gwibber/keyring bug, thanks to Nafai and Pitti for all their help
- desktopcouch testing
empathy 22.214.171.124, ported indicator patch dropping NotificationData which was dropped upstream
- gwibber i18n fixes
- fixed some gwibber message parsing bugs
Luke Yelavich (TheMuso)
Martin Pitt (pitti)
Assigned blueprints: all done
- Bug fixing: cups, gnome-menus, media-player-info, pkgbinarymangler, policykit-1, udev, udisks, vino
- Apport retracer maintenance
- Lots of bug triage
- Beta-2 CD testing and release management
- PostgreSQL microrelease updates for stables
- tzdata update for stables
- TB meeting
Robert Ancell (robert_ancell)
Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
- desktop updates: notify-osd libgpod
- lucid beta2 testing
- lot of bug triage work and forwarding upstream too
- updated gtk fileselector fix in lucid with the version commited to git
- backported nautilus fixes for a crasher and a emblems drawing issue
- typo fix in the gnome-menus cache code
- updated pango replaces to fix a gir conflict on upgrade from karmic
- looked to why keyservers list was not set, fix schemas installtion
- backported totem changes to fix youtube playing and trailers.apple.com one
- changed desktop-file-utils to not display a warning on nautilus installation
- debugged seahorse-tools breakage due to gpgme changes
- cleaned directfb changelog installation to not duplicate those
- resynced totem-pl-parser from debian to use the name gir naming
- review butterfly bugs and sent lot upstream, got quite some fixed there
- restored indicator-session changes dropped by error
- backported papyon and telepathy-butterfly fixes from upstream following, they did a great job on the ones sent their way!
- libubuntuone gwibber humanity-icon-theme indicator-session libindicator gnome-control-center
Chris Coulson (chrisccoulson)
- Fixed a deadlock in gnome-appearance-properties when activating desktop effects (LP: #554106)
- Investigated and fixed an issue with bindwood which prevented the packaged version from working at all (with the help of urbanape)
- Sponsoring: ruby-gnome2, miro, conkeror, edbrowse
- Finished the FF3.0/XUL190/FF3.5/XUL191 security updates
- Unfortunately the karmic NSS security update caused 2 regressions (LP: #559918 and LP: #559881). I fixed one of these on Saturday (jdstrand and asac fixed the other one on Sunday)
- For the xulrunner 1.9.2 transition:
- Ported ruby-gnome2, miro, libgtk2-mozembed-perl, edbrowse
- Dropped videolink
- Updated classpath to not build the gcjwebplugin, so that it doesn't need a xulrunner build-depend
- Extension cleanup:
- Dropped the Beagle mozilla extensions and mozilla-noscript
- Ported deejayd
- Fixed a xulrunner build failure on ia64 (LP: #555127)
- Fixed an issue where the local welcome page did not display correctly in Firefox without a network connection (LP: #557640)
- Fixed firefox not correctly providing gnome-www-browser (LP: #408238)
Copied a patch from xulrunner to Firefox so that LockPref works again, allowing the system adminstrator to lock down preferences (LP: #541951)
- Various activities related to search
Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)
- system-config-printer: Updated accidentally used unstable version 1.1.91 to 1.2.0, this caused the translation problem LP: #557199; Fixed also several problems of system-config-printer freezing when searching for printers by optimizing the use of avahi-browse (LP: #552398); Let system-config-printer prefer HPLIP instead of hpcups (LP: #553573, LP: #539708, LP: #538031, LP: #405116); Let system-config-printer only recommend avahi-utils and not depend on it (LP: #559780); Finally got the new Ubuntu logo for the test pages (LP: #542975); Made the man pages getting installed; Improvements on finding out which detected network printers are one and the same physical printer; Let Bluetooth printers get searched together with network printers, as the search takes longer. So USB and parallel printers and also network printer search methods appear nearly instantly; In the listing of network printers let not only IP addresses but also DNS-SD names appear; do not search for drivers when setting up an IPP queue which points to a remote CUPS queue; when setting up a remote LPD printer manually let the list of detected queue names actually get filled; Do not use the tray applet when the desktop environment is LXDE (LP: #529472).
- hplip: Fixed problems with installation of the proprietary plugin on some locales (LP: #525901); Switched back to HPIJS as default driver (migrate hpcups queues to HPIJS) as there are new problems with hpcups (LP: #553573, LP: #539708, LP: #538031, LP: #405116); merged fixes from Debian; Removed duplicate PPD files for HP Color Inkjet CP1700, the one which got used was missing A3 paper size (LP: #290559); fixed auto-update of PPDs of already existing print queues; Fixed problem of hp-check depending on libcups2-dev (LP: #530327).
- Answered and triaged printing-related bug reports.
Travis Hartwell (Nafai)
- talking to didrocks, subscriptions for UNE bug triaging
- gwibber-keyring issues LP: #554005
- looked at Brasero translation bug LP: #553423
- started gedit plug-in template for quickly
- gnome-bluetooth/app indicator issues LP: #558841