Release Notes for Ubuntu Studio 20.10 Beta (Groovy Gorilla)
Please see GroovyGorilla/ReleaseNotes for general Ubuntu release notes.
THIS IS FOR A PRE-RELEASE VERSION OF UBUNTU STUDIO AND INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE. ADDITIONALLY, SINCE THIS IS A PRE-RELEASE, IT IS UNSUPPORTED SOFTWARE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
Ubuntu Studio shares some of the desktop features with Kubuntu. Please see Kubuntu release notes for additional information.
Getting Ubuntu Studio 20.10 Beta
Download a Disk Image
Instructions for burning the image to a DVD or USB flash drive can be found on the Burning ISO Howto.
Check MD5SUM for the downloaded ISO
Upgrading to Ubuntu Studio 20.10 Beta
Due to the change in desktop environment, direct upgrades to Ubuntu Studio 20.10 from any previous version of Ubuntu Studio are unsupported. Only supported method is via clean install by backing up your /home directory and restoring it on a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio 20.10. If this is too disruptive, we recommend staying with Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS which is supported until April 2023.
Changes for this release (compared to 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa)
New Desktop Environment: Ubuntu Studio has moved to the KDE Plasma Desktop Environment.
New Installer: Ubuntu Studio now utilizes the Calamares installer for system installation.
- Firewire device support is now back. Switching between the ALSA Firewire driver and the FFADO driver requires restart.
- Multiple bug fixes
- For more information about Ubuntu Studio Controls, see:
- The README
- The manpages for studio-controls, autojack and studio-system
New Session Manager, the continuation/fork of Non Session Manager, is now included with its classic interface, verison 1.3.2
- Ardour has been upgraded to version 6.2
- 6.3 is awaiting Feature Freeze Exception approval.
- New utility for viewing Mackie Control Protocol information, mcpdisp, is now included.
RaySession has been upgraded to version 0.9.2
- Audacity upgraded to version 2.4.2
- Hydrogen upgraded to 1.0.0-rc1
- Carla upgraded to 2.2
- jack-mixer has returned, version 13
- lsp-plugins upgraded to 1.1.26
- New plugins this cycle:
- add64 (3.9.3)
- geonkick (2.3.8)
- dragonfly-reverb (3.2.1)
bsequencer (1.4.2) - 1.8.4 was released after feature freeze but contains new features. It's available in the Ubuntu Studio Backports PPA.
- bslizr (1.2.8)
- bchoppr (1.6.4)
- Krita upgraded to version 4.3.0
- Blender upgraded to version 2.83.5
- Darktable upgraded to 3.2.1
- Inkscape upgraded 1.0.1
To reduce image bloat, Rawtherapee has been removed from the default installation in favor of Darktable. However, Rawtherapee is still in the Ubuntu repositories and can easily be installed.
- Calibre upgraded to 4.99.12
- OBS Studio upgraded to 25.0.8
- We realize OBS Studio version 26 has been released, but has not yet been upgraded in Debian. If this happens before Final Freeze, we hope to get it upgraded. If not, we will make it available via the Backports Repo. Another alternative is the official OBS Studio PPA.
- KDEnlive upgraded to 20.08.1
To reduce image bloat, Openshot and Pitivi have been removed from the default installation in favor of Kdenlive. However, Openshot and Pitivi are still available in the Ubuntu repositories and can easily be installed.
Current Version Of Main Multimedia Packages
Studio Controls v2.0.8
OBS Studio v25.0.8
An oversight was discovered in the Beta ISO where it is requiring 4GB of RAM for installation erroneously. It was supposed to be set to 2GB, but the upload of the configuration file did not happen before beta. If you have a system that has less than 2GB of RAM, download the latest daily build.
Ubuntu Studio uses the same KDE Plasma desktop environment as the official Kubuntu release, and thus, may be affected by some of the same issues. This is also true of the core packages of the mainline Ubuntu release. You can see their release notes here (Kubuntu) and here (Ubuntu)
Ubuntu Studio 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla) will be supported for 9 months until July 2021. Direct upgrades to Ubuntu Studio 20.10 from any previous version are not supported.
Ways to contact the Ubuntu Studio Team are listed here