2011-10-19

This Ubuntu Ireland Team IRC meeting was held at 9pm Irish time on Wednesday the 19th of October 2011, on #ubuntu-ie on FreeNode. Everyone was welcome to attend and to add topics to the agenda (below)

  • Note: The LoCo Directory Meeting listing can be found here

Attendance

  • airurando
  • tdr112
  • ebel
  • czajkowski
  • daxroc
  • meetingology
  • airurando_

Agenda

  • Agenda item

    Proposer

    Review of previous action items

    Standing agenda item

    Ubuntu 11:10 CDs

    tdr112

    Ubuntu Hour Dublin (next Sunday)

    tdr112

    Community Appreciation Day

    airurando

Minutes

Meeting started by airurando at 20:05:37 UTC. The full logs are available at: http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-ie/2011/ubuntu-ie.2011-10-19-20.05.log.txt

Meeting summary

LINK: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2011-10-19 (airurando, 20:06:59) LINK: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2011-10-19 (airurando, 20:07:09)

  • Review of previous action items
  • Ubuntu 11:10 CDs

LINK: http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2011/10/18/free-ubuntu-11-10-cds-for-the-uk/ (airurando, 20:14:47) LINK: http://ubuntu-uk.org/free-cds/ (airurando, 20:14:47) ACTION: ebel to mail list seeking requests for 11:10 CDs (airurando, 20:28:11)

  • Ubuntu Hour Dublin (next Sunday)

LINK: http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-ie/1321/detail/ (airurando, 20:30:11)

  • Community Appreciation Day

LINK: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UCADay (airurando, 20:34:40)

Meeting ended at 20:46:27 UTC.

Any Other Business

The following topics were raised in the meeting

  • Agenda item

    Proposer

IRC LOGS

20:05:37 <airurando> #startmeeting

  • 20:05:38 <meetingology> Meeting started Wed Oct 19 20:05:37 2011 UTC. The chair is airurando. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AlanBell/mootbot.

    20:05:38 <meetingology>

    20:05:38 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired

    20:06:08 <airurando> evening all and welcome to the Ubuntu Ireland Team meeting for October

    20:06:18 <czajkowski> o/

    20:06:33 <airurando> The agenda for this evenings meeting can be found:

    20:06:59 <airurando> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2011-10-19

    20:07:09 <airurando> #link https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2011-10-19

    20:07:50 <airurando> can those here for the meeting please indicate so by typing PRESENT

    20:07:55 <airurando> PRESENT

    20:08:01 <czajkowski> PRESENT

    20:08:06 <ebel> anseo

    20:08:32 <tdr112> Phere

    20:08:36 <tdr112> here

    20:09:18 <airurando> #topic Review of previous action items

    20:09:35 <airurando> no meeting last month

    20:10:42 <airurando> no outstanding action items for August either

    20:10:56 <airurando> on to agenda items proper

    20:11:34 <airurando> #topic Ubuntu 11:10 CDs

    20:11:43 <airurando> tdr112 the floor is yours

    20:11:48 <tdr112> so we will be getting cds soon

    20:12:01 <tdr112> what do we do with them

    20:12:16 <czajkowski> college comp socs ?

    20:12:18 <tdr112> send them to the same epople we did last time

    20:12:25 <czajkowski> hackerspaces?

    20:12:45 <ebel> FYI i have appljed, as official address contact, and shall let the loco know when the arrive at my address

    20:12:48 <tdr112> how about a ubunut hour in dublin to give them to people and save on postege

    20:13:00 <airurando> I have a spreadsheet with all recipients from the last lot

    20:13:11 <czajkowski> cool

    20:13:20 <airurando> tdr112 slashtom suggested that yesterday.

    20:13:41 <airurando> ebel I'll email the spreadsheet to you

    20:14:00 <ebel> i suppose, in general, posting them around, but would auggest reciepients should send a SAE, rather than 1 person (me) paying all postage

    20:14:02 <tdr112> yep its not my idea

    20:14:09 <tdr112> its a good one

    20:14:28 <airurando> I like the Ubuntu Uk approach

    20:14:35 <tdr112> which is

    20:14:47 <airurando> http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2011/10/18/free-ubuntu-11-10-cds-for-the-uk/

    20:14:47 <airurando> http://ubuntu-uk.org/free-cds/

    20:15:03 <airurando> doesn't really work for the bigger packs though

    20:15:28 <ebel> here's an idea: email mailing list, solicit people who want them, if there arent a lot, follow up on people from last time?

    20:15:58 <airurando> ebel need to keep costs down though

    20:16:22 <airurando> all Dublinites or groups should collech at UH

    20:16:28 <tdr112> yep

    20:16:37 <ebel> yes, agreed

    20:16:59 <ebel> could require peollhr who dont collect to semd sae?

    20:17:00 <airurando> for groups around the country we should try a cheap delivery or collection approach

    20:17:15 <airurando> doesn't have to be instantaneous this time

    20:17:19 <ebel> solves the cost problem, since means i wouldnt have to pay anything

    20:17:34 <airurando> I ebel: indeed

    20:17:46 <tdr112> good stuff

    20:17:46 <airurando> I have a request in relation to this

    20:17:56 <ebel> tbh it costs aboit 3 or 4 eur for a sae, not a lpt

    20:19:25 <airurando> I've been chatting to Cathal Garvey of Nexus Cork about the possibility of the hackerspace running a linux workshop for beginners as part of the Lifelong Learning Festival in cork in 2012

    20:19:51 <airurando> Cathal seems positively disposed to this idea

    20:20:15 <ebel> (for dublin hackerspace, tog should get some, but not as much as last tome, tjere were too many left over)

    20:20:31 <tdr112> ebel: yep 20 max

    20:21:18 <ebel> surely all these people will come out of the woodwork when we email ubuntuie mailing list

    20:21:24 <tdr112> yep

    20:21:30 <daxroc> Are these the CDs n Stickers?

    20:21:48 <tdr112> just cds

    20:21:56 <ebel> i doubt (from experiemce) that we'll run out of people to send em too

    20:22:18 <daxroc> Can I request some, I'll pay the shipping for 4 copys

    20:22:32 <ebel> finding people to give fancy cds to is jot a problem.

    20:22:33 <airurando> could we possibly 'ringfence' a good few for the possibility of a workshop at the Cork Lifelong Learning Festival for April next?

    20:22:51 <airurando> daxroc where are you based.

    20:22:57 <daxroc> Wexford

    20:23:02 <ebel> aitab suppose, how many?

    20:23:36 <airurando> hard to say

    20:23:48 <airurando> might not even happen

    20:23:55 <daxroc> 4, or if you want to leave a few more here for people to collect, im between north and south wexford daily ( mon - fri )

    20:24:13 <ebel> a lot will depemd on who requests cds. i predict i'll get the cds within the next weel or 2

    20:24:14 <czajkowski> airurando: sounds like a plan

    20:24:19 <czajkowski> airurando: also the limerick learning hub

    20:24:37 <tdr112> czajkowski: what is the story with the packs you can order

    20:24:46 <tdr112> are they free

    20:24:55 <tdr112> for eventw

    20:25:01 <tdr112> events

    20:25:06 <ebel> idea: see who requests cds, then have an irc meeting allocate them?

    20:25:13 <airurando> czajkowski: they got some last time through Michael Yonker so yeah

    20:25:24 <ebel> ratjer than me deciding unilaterally who gets em?

    20:25:28 <airurando> ebel good idea

    20:25:28 <tdr112> ok

    20:25:43 <airurando> ebel will you send the mail

    20:25:47 <airurando> ?

    20:26:01 <ebel> Aince ATM we're talking about thjngs we have no idea

    20:26:38 <airurando> any objections

    20:26:41 <czajkowski> airurando: grand

    20:26:52 <ebel> sute ill send the email to the list asking for requests, and again whwn we get them, inviting peoplhr to a meeting to 'plead their case'

    20:27:35 <airurando> #agreed hold seperate meeting to consider requests for CDs

    20:27:48 <ebel> (and i'm ircing over ssh, so get no autocorrect, its not that im drunk :P)

    20:28:08 <tdr112> ebel: sure :)#

    20:28:11 <airurando> #action ebel to mail list seeking requests for 11:10 CDs 20:28:11 * meetingology ebel to mail list seeking requests for 11:10 CDs

    20:28:24 <airurando> are we done with this

    20:28:34 <tdr112> yep

    20:28:43 <airurando> next topic

    20:29:03 <airurando> #topic Ubuntu Hour Dublin (next Sunday)

    20:29:14 <airurando> tdr112 you again.

    20:29:17 <tdr112> its on this weekend all welcome

    20:29:22 <czajkowski> cool

    20:29:28 <tdr112> i dont have a link to hand

    20:29:31 <czajkowski> where are ye off to

    20:29:46 <tdr112> its a day time ubuntu hour

    20:30:00 <tdr112> so come and join us for a cup of tea

    20:30:11 <airurando> #link http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-ie/1321/detail/

    20:30:14 <ebel> we're goijg to a cafe in templebar

    20:30:14 <tdr112> we will send a reminder out on the mail list

    20:30:20 <czajkowski> I would do if I could fly in Smile :)

    20:30:56 <airurando> I'm looking forward to this

    20:30:59 <airurando> Smile :)

    20:31:07 <czajkowski> sounds like a great idea lads

    20:31:09 <tdr112> any questions

    20:31:14 <airurando> nice follow up to the excellent release party

    20:31:15 <tdr112> ?

    20:31:22 <airurando> not here

    20:31:31 <czajkowski> if ye have a write up and pics of the -ie

    20:31:41 <czajkowski> release party mail me and I'll blog them for you

    20:32:06 <airurando> will do

    20:32:31 <airurando> will we move on to the last agenda item proper?

    20:33:15 <airurando> daxroc you can definitely get some of the CDs somehow.

    20:33:16 <tdr112> yep

    20:33:54 <airurando> #topic Community Appreciation Day

    20:34:16 <airurando> I saw this on twitter recently.

    20:34:40 <airurando> #link https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UCADay

    20:35:16 <airurando> the title says it all but more info on the page

    20:35:43 <airurando> I was thinking that we should hold a second UH on 20 nov 11

    20:36:04 <airurando> combine UH with Community Appreciation Day

    20:36:05 <daxroc> airurando: thanks

    20:36:43 <tdr112> it sounds like a good idea

    20:37:17 <airurando> also a good opportunity for the bulk of Dublin CD distribution

    20:37:36 <airurando> ebel any thoughts

    20:37:44 <airurando> ?

    20:38:04 <airurando> czajkowski what do you think?

    20:38:14 <tdr112> gtg my stop

    20:39:16 <ebel> qeh, no real opiniom.on community appreviation day, havent really neen following it, dont know mich aboit ot

    20:39:31 <airurando> lol

    20:39:42 <ebel> laaaag

    20:39:43 <airurando> fat fungrs

    20:40:06 <airurando> no big deal we can talk about it again.

    20:40:19 <airurando> moving on

    20:40:30 <airurando> #Any Other Business

    20:41:00 <tdr112> back

    20:41:06 <tdr112> nope

    20:41:13 <ebel> nope

    20:42:14 <tdr112> ok bye

    20:43:23 <ebel> ok

    20:45:02 <airurando_> anyone there?

    20:45:44 <ebel> yo

    20:46:18 <airurando> ebel I think it's time to finish up

    20:46:24 <ebel> yep

    20:46:27 <airurando> #endmeeting


Parent pages: IrishTeam/IRCMeetings IrishTeam


CategoryIrishTeam

IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2011-10-19 (last edited 2011-11-12 18:26:06 by airurando)