- To provide computer systems to families with school-age children who can not otherwise afford them.
- Use Xubuntu derivative and include educational applications.
Roadmap: (To do items...in order)
Petition local organizations to donate functional machines. (In progress)
- prefer 500mhz or greater, and intact. Other specs are variable.
Determine central meeting place. (In Discussion)
- Our supplies are spread out and need to be moved to a central location to be tested and prepared for installation.
Develop our Linux package. (In Discussion)
- use xubuntu derivative that will run on slow machines.
- try to standardize the package for slipstreaming.
- Wikipedia mirror? That's over 10GB of data.
Locate suitable donation candidates and expand the project. (In Discussion)
- 60 computers
- 11 monitors (need to be checked)
Topics of discussion:
- Who can get machines? How many and what kind of Specs?
- What should our MINIMUM baseline specs be? Most utilities will run reasonably well on 500mhz.
- What do we want in our Linux Package? Who has the expertise to slipstream this into one install CD?
All of this is in order of priority. I will update this post periodically with important info from the thread.
If you have an idea of what packages you think should go on these machines then add it to the Package List.
To make comments on the project, or ask questions, go to the forum at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=351344