Blogging is now enabled.
Ubuntu Live Online party.
Planning for the next install fest and release party.
Please feel free to add to this list of topics as you see fit.
20:01 < etank> hola all 20:01 < etank> you guys ready for a meeting? 20:02 < venomous> fire it up! 20:02 < etank> @startmeeting 20:02 < Ubuntu-Ky> Meeting started at 20:01. The chair is etank. 20:02 < Ubuntu-Ky> Commands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE] 20:02 < Ubuntu-Ky> Please announce yourself with [PRESENT] if you are participating in the meeting. 20:03 < etank> topic list is available @ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KentuckyTeam/Meetings/2007July05 20:03 < etank> first on the list is: 20:03 < etank> [TOPIC] Blogging is enabled on the team site 20:03 < Ubuntu-Ky> New Topic: Blogging is enabled on the team site 20:04 < etank> if any of you would like to start making posts on the team site that are Ubuntu specific 20:04 < etank> please let me know 20:04 < klb> [present] 20:04 < Ubuntu-Ky> PRESENT received: klb" 20:04 < etank> i have set up some different roles 20:04 < etank> if you are interested then i will add you to the "Team Member" role 20:05 < venomous> [present] 20:05 < Ubuntu-Ky> PRESENT received: venomous" 20:05 < etank> that will give you the ability to have a blog on the site 20:05 < comfurtn> [present] 20:05 < Ubuntu-Ky> PRESENT received: comfurtn" 20:06 < etank> so far Koji has asked to be added to it 20:06 < etank> any questions or interest? 20:06 < venomous> honestly team, i've haven't even looked at the site in over two weeks. too say i would be able to make any contribution that would be other than detrimental wouldn't be a fair statement. been busy of late. 20:06 < comfurtn> i'm already on it right? 20:07 < etank> comfurtn: you have an account on the site 20:07 < comfurtn> k. 20:07 < etank> but i would need to add you to the role to allow the blog feature 20:07 < venomous> s/toot/to 20:07 < etank> i have also made it so that new accounts have to be authorized 20:08 >>> montgoej!n=jordan@unaffiliated/montgoej 20:08 < etank> the reason for the seperate role is because before now anyone could create an account 20:08 < etank> without authorization first 20:08 < etank> i did not want just anyone posting content on the site 20:08 < comfurtn> ah, okay. i would like to be added then. 20:08 < etank> the only thing the new role adds is the blogging stuff 20:09 < montgoej> sorry I'm late 20:09 < etank> comfurtn: just checked and you already are after all :) 20:09 < etank> np montgoej 20:10 < etank> we are discussing the blogging feature of the team site 20:10 < montgoej> ok 20:10 < etank> another thing that we could do is setup a planet of our own for those that already have blogs 20:10 < etank> if that is something that there is interest for 20:11 < montgoej> I like the idea 20:11 < etank> the blogging or the planet? 20:11 < montgoej> I have a blog, I just don't blog much because there aren't too many people who even see my blog 20:11 < montgoej> planet 20:11 < etank> cool 20:12 < etank> it is something that we can look at doing soon then 20:12 etank has never setup a planet before 20:12 < etank> any other discussion on this topic? 20:13 < etank> next topic then: 20:13 < etank> [TOPIC] Ubuntu Live Online party. 20:13 < Ubuntu-Ky> New Topic: Ubuntu Live Online party. 20:13 < klb> I hate the word "blog" 20:14 < etank> there was some discussion in the #ubuntu-us channel for having an online party during Ubuntu Live for those that can not go to the real thing 20:14 < comfurtn> i good idea. 20:14 < comfurtn> *a good idea. 20:14 < comfurtn> :p 20:14 montgoej agrees with comfurtn 20:14 < etank> even if other teams do not do anything during this time i think that it would be a good chance for us to get together 20:14 < etank> and do something 20:14 < venomous> +! 20:14 < etank> even if it is just to hang out some 20:15 < venomous> +1 20:15 < etank> of course we could all go into #ubuntu-us and try to stir up some other teams to do the same 20:15 < etank> the dates are July 22 - 24 i think 20:16 < comfurtn> sunday through tuesday? 20:16 < etank> someone had mentioned meeting IRL and then having some stuff in IRC too 20:16 < montgoej> sounds good to me, I should be free those days 20:17 < etank> http://www.ubuntulive.com/ 20:18 < etank> it would be cool to have people doing "talks" in irc 20:18 < etank> maybe about the stuff that their teams are doing or something 20:19 < etank> but it would take more than just our team to get something that big setup 20:19 < montgoej> we could setup a room where people could be doing walkthroughs of different things such as installing eyecandy, etc. with multiple teams 20:19 < montgoej> have stuff going all day 20:19 < etank> kind of like what happens in #ubuntu-classroom 20:20 < etank> i like that idea montgoej 20:20 < montgoej> yeah, just have people agree to a certain time and to do a certain topic 20:20 < etank> time is starting to get short for some planning though 20:21 < montgoej> we could probably pull something together quickly if we have people that are 100 20:21 < montgoej> *100% certain 20:21 < etank> start poking some in the us channel and see what you can come up with :) 20:22 < montgoej> ok 20:22 < etank> the person (Zelut) that first had the idea is now actually going to be at the live event 20:22 < etank> he may be good one to talk to for ideas and such 20:23 < etank> any other thoughts? 20:23 < etank> good job montgoej :) 20:23 < montgoej> thanks 20:25 < etank> ok then to the next topic: 20:25 < etank> [TOPIC] Planning for the next install fest and release party. 20:25 < Ubuntu-Ky> New Topic: Planning for the next install fest and release party. 20:26 < etank> before we talked about doing an install fest in august or september 20:26 < etank> it would probably be a good idea to get some ideas rolling now 20:26 < etank> so that we have a good idea of all the stuff that we want to do 20:26 < etank> and where 20:27 < montgoej> why not have a poll in the forums as to where> 20:27 < montgoej> I meant a ? instead of a > 20:28 < etank> we could do it at UK again 20:28 < comfurtn> i'll be at UK by that time. 20:28 < etank> or i have a friend that is a teacher who can get us access to the school where he teaches 20:30 < etank> last time we had a pretty good turn out 20:30 < etank> but most of those were members 20:30 < montgoej> I think if we get it planned out well in advance this time we could get a greater turn out 20:30 < etank> we may want to think of a better way of getting the word out 20:31 < montgoej> hmm... 20:31 < etank> a few (very few) of us hung flyers and stuff 20:31 < montgoej> find a live news broadcast and run in front of the camera with a poster! 20:31 < etank> that may have pulled in one person 20:32 < comfurtn> lexington herald ad? 20:32 < montgoej> mass emails, maybe something that our members can stick in their sigs to attract attention of other forum-goers 20:32 < etank> we could use the forums, our site, blogging (sorry klb) , etc 20:33 < etank> but what % of the forum people are going to be local enough to attend 20:33 < montgoej> I may be able to put something up at work if I get this job, they use Linux on their server and probably wouldn't mind me putting something up 20:33 < etank> cool 20:33 < etank> for those that were there last time: 20:33 < montgoej> well, it's better than nothing...think of how many people that are in KY haven't joined the team simply because they haven't seen it 20:34 < montgoej> the loco forums aren't on the front page anymore :( 20:34 < etank> try to think of what we did and what worked, kinda worked, and did not work at all 20:34 < etank> and maybe some new ideas of stuff that we can try to make work 20:35 < etank> i think that the presentation that i did was useless 20:35 < etank> since most of the people there were already linux users 20:36 < venomous> lag is killing me...try coming in again.. 20:36 < etank> venomous: where did it cut out? 20:36 < comfurtn> our first Install Fest wiki page is at /InstallFest... where should we put the new planning page? 20:37 < venomous> last i got was ubuntulive.com 20:37 < venomous> brb 20:37 < venomous!i=ven0m0us@gateway/tor/x-80cfb2bfd0bf073e ["Leaving"] 20:37 < etank> comfurtn: we could rename that page to InstallFest032007 or something 20:37 < etank> and then reuse the current page for the new event 20:38 < comfurtn> okay. 20:38 < etank> same with the release party 20:38 < etank> nevermind 20:38 < etank> the release party is FeistyRelease or something like that 20:38 < etank> so that one is ok already 20:39 < etank> comfurtn: already on the job :) 20:40 < comfurtn> so was i. 20:40 < comfurtn> are we overlapping? 20:40 < etank> i was commenting on what you were already doing 20:40 < etank> good job 20:40 < comfurtn> oh! 20:40 < comfurtn> lol... thx. 20:41 < etank> any thoughts on the Install Fest stuff? 20:41 < montgoej> hmm... 20:41 < etank> if not its fine 20:41 < montgoej> I've got nothin... 20:42 < etank> we have (some) time 20:42 < comfurtn> okay, the planning page is up. 20:42 < comfurtn> so we can work from there. 20:42 < etank> thanks comfurtn 20:42 < comfurtn> np. ;) 20:42 < etank> i will add some stuff to the team site about it later 20:43 < etank> well that was all that was on the original agenda 20:43 < etank> bkingx mentioned that we may want to discuss the charity machines though 20:44 < etank> i have been playing with doing an Xubuntu install and then adding the edubuntu apps to it 20:44 < etank> we can use the alternate CD for Xubuntu to do an OEM install 20:44 < comfurtn> what type of system are we aiming to create on those machines? 20:44 < etank> then we can make images of those installs 20:44 < comfurtn> i notice that you're including edubuntu apps.. 20:45 < etank> in my mind we can do these for families that have school age children 20:45 < etank> that can not afford a computer on their own 20:45 < etank> but really need one for their childs school stuff 20:46 < montgoej> I'm gonna try to compile an all-purpose stripped-down kernel later 20:46 < montgoej> w/o stuff like Bluetooth, Ham Radio, etc. that these computers won't need 20:46 >>> venomous!i=ven0m0us@gateway/tor/x-8b060692923b878f 20:46 < etank> that would be good 20:46 < comfurtn> i have some experience on working with older machines, if something comes up. 20:47 < etank> venomous: i can fill you in later on what you have missed 20:47 < comfurtn> i currently have two computers with ubuntu.. one 350 and one 500 mhz. 20:47 < etank> the idea would be for us to get together one day and work on getting them all set up 20:47 < venomous> more than a little worthy of aggravation... 20:47 < montgoej> I have an older one running Xubuntu, 450 mhz 20:47 < etank> we have 60 machines 20:48 < montgoej> I've also got monitors, although at least 1 or 2 have a bit of burn-in 20:48 < montgoej> stupid windows 2000 screen... 20:48 < etank> it will take a little time and some (wo)man power to get it all done 20:48 < comfurtn> I'm updating the wiki as we discuss. 20:48 < comfurtn> so 60 computers... how many monitors? 20:48 < montgoej> 11 20:49 < etank> about that many 20:49 < montgoej> I have 11 at least 20:49 < etank> some or probably bad though 20:49 < etank> of what we have we may have about 30 - 40 fully working systems 20:49 < montgoej> yeah, I know one is so burnt in that it clearly shows up with the monitor off 20:49 < etank> we just need to test them 20:50 < comfurtn> i would be interested in helping with that. 20:50 < etank> we can use all the help we can get 20:50 < montgoej> I can help with that, not sure when yet though 20:50 < etank> that and we need to figure out a good date to do it 20:51 < etank> half of the machines are in Louisville and the other half are in Lexington 20:51 < montgoej> and the monitors(that I have) are in a storage building in Lincoln county 20:51 < montgoej> in a big box! 20:51 < Ubuntu-Ky> [Planet Ubuntu] Martin Albisetti: New Laptop, System76 rocks - http://beuno.com.ar/archives/29 20:52 < comfurtn> are we still keeping the idea of having a wikipedia mirror? 20:52 < comfurtn> (i'm looking over the wiki todo list trying to update it) 20:52 < etank> comfurtn: there has been no discussion of it latley 20:52 < etank> so i would say no 20:53 < montgoej> that would be good, but it's around 10 gigs and it wouldn't surprise me if the machines didn't have enough space on the hard drives 20:53 < comfurtn> k. i would also.. thats a lot of space. 20:53 < montgoej> I'd also say no 20:53 < etank> oh wait 20:53 < etank> you meant on the charity boxes 20:53 < etank> my bad 20:54 < comfurtn> etank: yes... where are we on that? 20:54 < montgoej> lol 20:54 < etank> if there would be enough space on the boxes then it would be a good idea 20:54 < etank> we wont know if the new owners will have internet access and it would be helpful with homework and stuff 20:55 < etank> but if it wont fit then we leave it out 20:56 < etank> would it work to just set a date and then see who can make it and who can not 20:56 < venomous!i=ven0m0us@gateway/tor/x-8b060692923b878f ["Leaving"] 20:57 < comfurtn> etank: how about a mailing list thread on the date? 20:57 < etank> we can do that too 20:57 < comfurtn> that seems to reach more team members faster. 20:57 < etank> yeah but it is very hard to gage a response 20:58 < etank> we can give it a shot 20:59 < etank> does anyone have anything else that they want to bring up or continue to discuss? 21:00 < etank> if not then are we ready to close the meeting tonight? 21:00 < etank> we will meet again in 2 weeks 21:00 < etank> @endmeeting 21:00 < Ubuntu-Ky> Meeting finished at 20:59. Log is available at http://logs.buley.org/ubuntu-kentucky.20070705_2001.html 21:00 < etank> logs will be online in a few minutes :) 21:01 < comfurtn> sounds good.