|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 116:||Line 116:|
|* [[/Activities | List of Working / Non-working Activities]]|
What is Ubuntu Sugar Remix?
The vision for the Ubuntu Sugar Remix is to provide students preK to 12 with a learning platform. We envision younger children using the Award wining Sugar Learning Platform and allowing older students to move to a standard Ubuntu desktop as they become cognitively ready, with an easy settings change.
USR will work on a wide variety of hardware, either installed on the hard drive or on a portable storage device, such as a USB stick. In our vision of the future USR will interact easily and seamlessly with an open source server environment (such as the XS project from Sugar) to provide backup and portfolio support (e.g. Mahara), collaboration, educational resources (e.g. local copies of Wikipedia) , Learning Management System (e.g. Moodle) and Student Information System (e.g. SchoolTool) types supports.
USR will allow students to assist students in accessing the internet and all its educational resources but will also allow them to work and learn in situations where they do not have internet access.
A smoke test for Ubuntu Sugar Remix can be found here.
Getting Ubuntu Sugar Remix
Step 1: Download Ubuntu Sugar Remix CD image
- The CD images are available from
Latest:USR-i386-20100922.iso Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" -09/24/2010
Hint; to pull in the latest updates including activities:
<ctrl> <alt> f5 will get terminal
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Use this browser Surf-115.xo: http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/Surf-115.xo (sugar-browse does not work)
- Hint to install Surf: download Surf-115.xo to a USB (outside of sugar); Start USR Insert this USB and drag-drop it into the USR sugar-journal.
Sugar is available as menu item Education/Sugar; but it is not full screen and not all of the Sugar screen is visible.
For Full Screen right click on menu item and save to desktop, then open properties of icon on desktop and change command to "sugar-emulator -f" (full screen option) Start Sugar from this icon...
Step 2: Burn your Ubuntu Sugar Remix CD
After the ISO file has finished downloading, you will have to burn the file to a CD. The ISO file will most likely require a special application to burn. Click the link below to find detailed instructions. How to burn a CD image.
Step 3a: Install Ubuntu Sugar Remix
- When the CD is ready, simply put it in your CD drive, restart your computer and follow the instructions that will appear on your screen. Don't forget that you can create more copies and pass the CD to as many people as you like.
Step 3b: For netbooks without a CD
- Use System/Administration/"USB Startup Disk Creator" in a Ubuntu Desktop to Make an Installer USB. Use this USB to install USR on your netbook.
Installing Ubuntu Sugar Remix on Ubuntu 10.10
On Ubuntu 10.10, the ubuntu-sugar-remix package is available in Universe, so you do not need to add the apt repository to install it. Just:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-sugar-remix
and you're good to go.
Install Ubuntu Sugar Remix on Ubuntu 10.04LTS
You can also install Ubuntu Sugar remix on a computer running Ubuntu 10.04. (updated 11/01/2010)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sugarteam/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install ubuntu-sugar-remix
You will end up with a sugar with no appliances installed.
Step 1 Download surf-115 http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/Surf-115.xo
Step 2 copy surf-115 to a 2nd USB
Step 3 Drag drop surf-115 to the journal in USR
Step 4 Log in to http://activities.sugarlabs.org//en-US/sugar/
step 5 Install desired applications
Ubuntu 10.04LTS Sugar 0.88.1
gdm login for Gnome (sugar-emulator on Education menu) or USR
Importing Ubuntu Sugar Remix Appliance into VirtualBox
Step 1 Download Ubuntu Sugar Remix Appliance files
- Download 3 files:
Step 2 Start VirtualBox
Step 3 Import Appliance into VirtualBox
- Select file/import appliance from menu
- Choose file (select the ovf file downloaded above)
Step 4 Start Appliance
The Ubuntu Sugar Remix promise
- Ubuntu Sugar Remix will always be free of charge.
- Ubuntu Sugar Remix comes with commercial and community support from growing network of organization from across the world
- Ubuntu core activities are all free and open source. We want you to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.
Getting involved in Ubuntu Sugar Remix
We communicate primarily with this mailing list: email@example.com
Using Ubuntu Sugar Remix
|/Activities /Contacts /Develop /FAQ /GettingInvolved /Header /KnowledgeBase /Meeting /Package /Report /Roadmap /Tasks /Test|