These instructions are for the track leads or session leads who will be running a virtual UDS session. They are not needed for people who are participating on a session. For participation see UDS/Hangouts
Starting the Hangout
Prior to the start of a session, the track lead will need to create a new On-Air Hangout. To create an On-Air Hangout, you must first create an On-Air Event by following these steps:
- Hover over the "Home" button on Google+
- Select the "Hangouts" item
- Click the "Hangouts On Air" section
- Press the "Start a Hangout On Air" button
- Enter the name of your session (from Summit)
- Select a start time of "Now" for your session
- Press the "Share" button to finish creating the Hangout event
- When you are ready to start your session, press the "Start" button. This will not start the live broadcast, only the Hangout.
The hangout will start in a non-broadcasting mode at first. This will give you time to add the Hangout details to the Summit meeting page. Once you are in the hangout, you can retrieve the Hangout URL and the Broadcast URL from the "Links" popover in the bottom-right part of the window.
When the session is to begin, the Track Lead will press the “Start Broadcast” button (only available to the person who created the Hangout) to begin streaming the Hangout video. At the end of the session, the Track Lead will end the broadcast, which will then save the recorded video to YouTube for future viewing.
Before turning on the broadcast, the Track Lead will copy the Hangout URL and the YouTube URL (which can be shown by clicking the “Links” text in the above screenshot) into the "Edit Hangout Details" form on Summit for that session.
Verifying your Account
You will need to have a Verified YouTube profile before you can start an On-Air Hangout. You will be prompted to do this when you first attempt to create an On-Air Hangout, and the process will send a verification token over SMS to your mobile phone.