20110317

Meeting opened by popey at 21:00

  • <HazRPG> *waves*

    <popey> anyone about for the meeting go o/

    <DJones> o/

    <HazRPG> o/

    <popey> quite one Smile :)

    <popey> o/ btw

    <popey> quiet even

    <DJones> Are we supposed to have a vote on Daviey's replacement, or was that last meeting which I may have missed

    <popey> hmm

    <popey> AlanBell / Daviey poke

    <HazRPG> erm, if I recall... this meeting was to confirm it

    <HazRPG> we were giving people chance to at least pick someone

    <HazRPG> sort of an extended chance... since no one else came forward (and still haven't iirc, but links are failing me at this moment in time)

    <ZoeR> Hullo

    <popey> ok, well if neither Daviey nor AlanBell are around we'll have to defer it

    <popey> anyway...

    <popey> [TOPIC] review of action items from last meeting

review of action items from last meeting

  • <popey> Big Grin :)

    <popey> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/MeetingNotes/20110303 is the log from the last meeting

    <popey> action items at the bottom

    <popey> nothing from barry and alan so far

    <popey> I'll take an action to poke them

    <popey> [ACTION] popey to poke Barry Drake and Alan Cocks about in-store promos

popey to poke Barry Drake and Alan Cocks about in-store promos

  • <popey> the next one is part of that

    <popey> I believe Alan Bell has done the doodle poll and there is a date selected for the quiz

    <popey> Saturday 16th April at 21:00 BST

    <popey> [TOPIC] next team leader

next team leader

  • <popey> (as part of the actions from last time)

    <popey> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-uk/2011-February/028779.html was the original mail from Dave stepping down

    <popey> ]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/2011Election has only Alan Bell on it

    <HazRPG> safe to assume Alan Bell wins

    <popey> well, we decided on the following last time...

    <popey> two weeks of more potential candidates followed by declaring AlanBell the leader if nobody else steps up

    <popey> we have done the first part so it's really a formality to announce the latter

    <popey> agreed?

    <DJones> Agreed

    <HazRPG> +1

    <popey> win

    <HazRPG> agreed

    <popey> I'll take an action to announce that tonight after the meeting

    <HazRPG> \o/

    <popey> [ACTION] popey to announce the new uk team leader on the mailing list tonight

popey to announce the new uk team leader on the mailing list tonight

  • <popey> right, that's everything from the last meeting

    <popey> as usual..

    <dutchie> ooh, a meeting

    <popey> [PROGRESS REPORT] People who have achieved something in march, please place it in the report.

People who have achieved something in march, please place it in the report.

  • <popey> hi dutchie

    <HazRPG> dutchie: you always seem to do that :P

    <popey> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/TeamReports/11/March

    <dutchie> HazRPG: it is due to my high degree of organisation

    <HazRPG> dutchie: also, oh hi Smile :)

    <popey> so that's basically it Smile :)

    <DJones> Podcast only since last meeting then

    <popey> yeah, just added that

    <gneel> Sorry I'm late!

    <HazRPG> I haven't had chance to write up my notes yet, so likewise some video-casts haven't been made yet

    <DJones> congrats on the new season

    <popey> no gneel

    <popey> thanks

    <popey> [TOPIC] Any other business

Any other business

  • <popey> right, we have ~50 mins to kill Big Grin :)

    <popey> open house

    <HazRPG> but I'll be working on it at some point

    <HazRPG> DJones, gneel: \o

  • AlanBell turns up

    <popey> Congratulations AlanBell Smile :)

    <AlanBell> yay

    <AlanBell> thanks

    <HazRPG> AlanBell: Congrats dude Smile :)

    <HazRPG> ah you beat me to it popey :P

    <DJones> COngrats, well deserved

    <HazRPG> indeed, don't know a better man for the job Smile :)

  • AlanBell is quite pleased

  • HazRPG quietly says speech to AlanBell - but is unsure if this is the appropriate place for it

    <AlanBell> heh

    <AlanBell> I would just like to thank my agent, my mum, my chickens . . .

    <DJones> If there is a speech,ds to fill the remaining 45 minutes of the meeting slot Smile :)

    <DJones> s/ds/it needs

    <BigRedS> That's an impressive typo

    <HazRPG> I do have something to ask, but ... speech first Big Grin :)

    <HazRPG> BigRedS: indeed!

    <DJones> BigRedS: sticky keyboard

    <HazRPG> won't ask ...

    <BigRedS> DJones: I'll ask no questions! Smile :)

    <AlanBell> there will be no speech, move on!

    <HazRPG> ah okay

    <gneel> Release party/ies?

    <AlanBell> I spoke to marianna from Canonical about the London party

    <AlanBell> she was going to run some ideas past Jane Silber

    <AlanBell> I will find out what happened with that

    <HazRPG> erm... iirc, there was mention of how elections are done, memory is foggy - but I think something about posting somewhere about it (like a formal rule set) to be sort of devised

    <HazRPG> however I could just be making this up in my mind :S

    <AlanBell> that was an action for daubers

    <popey> HazRPG: we usually use CIVS

    <popey> but on this occasion only one person volunteered and it was decided he was more than capable

    <HazRPG> ah, ok

    <popey> [ACTION] Alan Bell to liase with Canonical to organise one of the Natty release parties

Alan Bell to liase with Canonical to organise one of the Natty release parties

  • <HazRPG> yeah I figured that this election was fair since Alan was the only one to come forward

    <BigRedS> HazRPG: Usually, if only one person stands, questions are asked about the nomination process Smile :)

    <BigRedS> I'm not suggesting this is applicable here

    <gneel> It was a self-nomination process, and only Alan stepped forward

    <AlanBell> we will just write up what happens with a little flowchart or something

    <BigRedS> but there's probably something suboptimal somewhere if only one person steps forwards

    <gneel> Or everyone else stepped back quickly!

    <gneel> AlanBell: sounds good

    <AlanBell> BigRedS: the sub-optimal part was when we didn't know quite what to do next

    <AlanBell> and as you shouldn't really make up election processes as you go along we will just document those kind of eventualities and it is all cool

    <BigRedS> AlanBell: well, if too few people have the time/inclination to fulfil the role, should it be filled by one person?

    <popey> [ACTION] Alan Bell to begin implementation of process to find his successor

Alan Bell to begin implementation of process to find his successor

  • <popey> Big Grin :)

    <AlanBell> heh

    <HazRPG> :P

    <HazRPG> still trying to make some sense out of my local LUG to try and see if we can get an ubuntu release shin-dig going

    <HazRPG> or anything...

    <HazRPG> still no joy

    <HazRPG> seems some people have corrugated onto facebook, and just seems to be a stream of info but no real communication going on... and seems no one knows what exactly is happening

    <BigRedS> your lug is a facebook group?

    <HazRPG> and I'm not sure if I'm up to being a leader of any type

    <HazRPG> BigRedS: seems that way :/

    <popey> which LUG?

    <BigRedS> how times change...

    <HazRPG> Cumbrian LUG

  • <HazRPG> http://www.cumbria.lug.org.uk/

    <popey> ahh

    <popey> schwuk lug

    <HazRPG> I'm on the mailing list, but not much happens

    <HazRPG> heh, yeah apparently one of my friends is on a course with schwuk

    <HazRPG> all my knowledge is about him, he's on a course with my friend Lunchie doing the HND I previously did... and seems to be the head guy on the facebook group

    <HazRPG> and works for Canonical (I think?)

    <popey> he does

    <popey> ok

    <popey> anything else that needs discussing?

    <HazRPG> don't laugh, but an idea I had floating around was to see if I could try and get in contact with Stephen Fry, see if he would be willing to come to Carlisle for an ubuntu-uk release and see if we could do something fancy...

    <HazRPG> or anywhere in Cumbria... that's sort of central to Cumbrians

    <popey> good luck Smile :)

    <HazRPG> see if I can get a linux user base going

    <HazRPG> popey: I know it sounds out there, but it could happen

    <gneel> Not the worst idea I've heard

    <HazRPG> don't ask, don't get - sort of scenario

    <popey> ok, so

    <popey> [TOPIC] Date of next meeting

Date of next meeting

  • <popey> 2 weeks?

    <HazRPG> seems people have stuff on today...

    <popey> we didnt send a reminder

    <gneel> 2 weeks sounds good to me

    <BigRedS> Ah, paddy's day

    <HazRPG> ah, of course heh

    <popey> 31/3

    <gneel> Not a Tuesday is my preference

    <HazRPG> 2 weeks is good

    <gneel> 31st sounds ideal

    <HazRPG> yeah, lets roll with that

    <popey> [ACTION] next meeting 31/3 at 21:00

next meeting 31/3 at 21:00

  • <DJones> Thursdays are good for me

    <AlanBell> sounds good

    <popey> chair?

    <AlanBell> HazRPG:

    <HazRPG> wait, what...

  • HazRPG freezes up

    <popey> well volunteered!

    <gneel> HazRPG: I think you mentioned watching a meeting then possibly running one...

    <gneel> Smile :-)

    <HazRPG> erm... okay... sure... gotta start somehow right?

    <popey> great!

    <DJones> HazRPG: Its not that difficult, mostly copy & paste & keeping things moving

    <popey> thank you!

    <AlanBell> "<HazRPG> I might do the one after that :)"

    <popey> The log never lies.

    <HazRPG> heh, I know what I said :P

    <popey> [ACTION] HazRPG to chair

HazRPG to chair

  • <HazRPG> I thought there was going to be more interaction in this one to learn more - but still cool with it either way Smile :) *steps forward*

    <HazRPG> guessing the meeting start # (but other way round) is how one kicks the whole thing off correct?

    <DJones> HazRPG: If you want to test out beforehand, I'm sure there'll be somebody around to practise

    <HazRPG> ah, I'm sure it'll be fine Smile :)

    <DJones> HazRPG: http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/Mootbot-UKHowTo

    <HazRPG> DJones: winner Smile :)

    <popey> #endmeeting


Meeting closed at 21:44

People Present

  • HazRPG
  • popey
  • DJones
  • ZoeR
  • dutchie
  • gneel
  • AlanBell

  • BigRedS

Actions Recorded

  • popey to poke Barry Drake and Alan Cocks about in-store promos
  • popey to announce the new uk team leader on the mailing list tonight
  • Alan Bell to liase with Canonical to organise one of the Natty release parties
  • Alan Bell to begin implementation of process to find his successor
  • next meeting 31/3 at 21:00
  • HazRPG to chair

UKTeam/MeetingNotes/20110317 (last edited 2011-03-31 18:35:31 by hazrpg)