Ubuntu Tweak is an application which makes configuring Ubuntu easier for everyone. It allows tweaking of many useful desktop and system configuration options which are unavailable via native system tools.
Get the source code
If you want to contribute code to Ubuntu Tweak, you should start from https://code.launchpad.net/ubuntu-tweak, the project uses Bzr as the SCM tool.
Play with source code
After checkout the latest source code, you may want to Write Plugin for Ubuntu Tweak
How to see the changes? It's easy! Just run the "ubuntu-tweak" script in the top-level folder, you can always get the changes you've made.
If you are not a programmer, don't worry, you can help to test Ubuntu Tweak. You should know how to use PPA.
Alpha version: https://launchpad.net/~tualatrix/+archive/next
Beta version: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-tweak-testing/+archive/ppa
Stable version: https://launchpad.net/~tualatrix/+archive/ppa
- Write wiki
0.6 (current focus of development)
This is the first version targeting to be the "Power Users Tool" and try to get into Ubuntu repository. The major changes will be:
Safety feature (TODO): API set to backup/restore the settings,
Pluggability (TODO, half-done)
- Support install and load plug-ins from $HOME/.local/ubuntu-tweak/plugins
- Separate "Application/Source Center" as a plug-in (Install from PPA, package name: ubuntu-tweak-community-plugins)
Janitor (TODO): The previous "Package Cleaner" will be renamed to "Janitor", to instead the "Computer Janitor", it will support plug-in too.
- Based on PyGObject instead of PyGTK, so it will work under Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric with GTK+3.0 smoothly
More specific PolicyKit API (non-block)
- get_cruft should use call back make UI smooth
- Cover all parts of Ubuntu which can be configured (keep the core simple, extend with plugins)
- Time line based view with all settings done by user, so that user can always know what he did before and easy to revert(try the Zeitgeist)