Meeting Info

Meetings are held every 4th Tuesday of each month at 20:30 SAST (UTC+2) and are pretty informal. Anyone is free to join in and give comments and suggestions, its even encouraged. Please introduce yourself to the bot at the start of the meeting so he can take note of all members present as follows:





[18:31:32] STARTED (pieter2627)
[18:31:54] TOPIC: Welcoming and Introduction (pieter2627)
[18:33:32] TOPIC: Review minutes of previous meeting (pieter2627)
[18:35:03] TOPIC: Plans for 2015 (pieter2627)
[18:36:03] TOPIC: Events (pieter2627)
[18:45:48] TOPIC: Miscellaneous (pieter2627)
[19:12:32] TOPIC: Elect chairperson for next meeting (pieter2627)
[19:13:48] AGREED: pieter2627 to chair Nov's meeting (pieter2627)
[19:14:11] TOPIC: Next meeting (pieter2627)
[19:15:58] AGREED: Next meeting is 24 November 2015 @ 20:30 (pieter2627)
[19:16:38] ENDED (pieter2627)


* Raoul Snyman (superfly)
* Pieter Engelbrecht (pieter2627)
* Charl le Roux (clr_)
* Tonberry
* Miles Sharpe (Kilos)
* Gustav H Meyer (inetpro)
* Vin Swart (Vince-0)

Raw Log

[18:31:32] <pieter2627> Maaz: start meeting about Ubuntu Monthly Meeting - Oct 2015
[18:31:32] * Maaz gets out his memo-pad and cracks his knuckles
[18:31:49] <Kilos> Maaz_ I am Miles Sharpe
[18:31:49] <Maaz> Kilos: Okay
[18:31:54] <pieter2627> Maaz: topic Welcoming and Introduction 
[18:31:54] <Maaz> Current Topic: Welcoming and Introduction
[18:31:55] <pieter2627> Evening  all and thanks for joining in on our monthly meeting 
[18:31:55] <pieter2627> Please introduce yourselves to Maaz for the minutes using `Maaz: I am <firstname lastname>` eg. 
[18:31:55] <pieter2627> Maaz: I am Pieter Engelbrecht
[18:31:55] <Maaz> pieter2627: Righto
[18:32:20] <inetpro> Maaz_: I am Gustav H Meyer
[18:32:20] <Maaz> inetpro: Sure
[18:32:21] <pieter2627> the agenda for today's meeting can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZATeam/Meetings/20151027 
[18:32:21] <pieter2627> check that nothing is missing and feel free to raise anything you might want to add
[18:33:22] * inetpro listening in with one ear
[18:33:32] <pieter2627> Maaz: topic Review minutes of previous meeting 
[18:33:32] <Maaz> Current Topic: Review minutes of previous meeting
[18:33:32] <pieter2627> the previous meeting's minutes is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZATeam/Meetings/20150922 
[18:33:32] <pieter2627> please do not go and read it cause i'm in trouble for forgetting to have done stuff :P
[18:33:41] <Kilos> oh my inetpro what you doing
[18:33:59] <Kilos> haha pieter2627 
[18:34:22] * inetpro busy with some work in the background
[18:34:43] <Kilos> clr_ Vince-0 you guys wanna login?
[18:35:03] <pieter2627> Maaz: topic Plans for 2015 
[18:35:03] <Maaz> Current Topic: Plans for 2015
[18:35:03] <pieter2627> the drill for this is short unless someone has something to say for its topics
[18:35:09] <superfly> Maaz_: I am Raoul Snyman
[18:35:09] <Maaz> superfly: Righto
[18:35:26] <Vince-0> Maaz: I am Vin Swart
[18:35:26] <Maaz> Vince-0: Alrighty
[18:35:47] <Kilos> oom clr_ ?
[18:36:03] <pieter2627> Maaz: topic Events
[18:36:03] <Maaz> Current Topic: Events
[18:36:29] <pieter2627> Has anyone attended PyCon or DASA?
[18:37:09] <inetpro> pieter2627: not me
[18:37:18] <Kilos> everyone snowed under looks like
[18:37:26] <pieter2627> haha
[18:37:47] <inetpro> would have liked to go to DASA
[18:38:27] <pieter2627> then any news for the other events - install Fest, Ubuntu hour
[18:39:11] <inetpro> Ubuntu 15.10 has been released
[18:39:14] <superfly>  ^^
[18:39:35] <pieter2627> if anyone has anything about the 16.04 Release Party then now would be a good time
[18:39:52] <pieter2627> has anyone upgraded yet?
[18:40:25] * pieter2627 wanted to on the weekend - but things...
[18:40:38] <Kilos> ami is security becoming more of an isue
[18:40:52] <clr_> maaz: I am Charl le Roux
[18:40:52] <Maaz> clr_: Yessir
[18:40:56] <Kilos> many security updates
[18:41:20] <superfly> pieter2627: I upgraded my work PC today. No problems.
[18:41:26] <superfly> Plasma 5.4 is yum yum
[18:41:28] * inetpro willing to wait some more before attempting to upgrade
[18:42:12] <pieter2627> ah ok, good to hear
[18:42:36] <superfly> but I'm using Kubuntu, not Ubuntu, so slightly different.
[18:42:44] <inetpro> superfly: you using yum in place of apt? :-)
[18:43:10] <Kilos> hahaha
[18:43:24] <Kilos> i had to think about that
[18:43:25] <superfly> Plasma 5.4 comes with the Application Dashboard instead of Kicker (the K-menu), and it makes life so much better. It's a bit like Unity's launcher.
[18:43:56] <inetpro> sounds interesting
[18:44:11] <clr_> I upgraded to 15.10, did a clean install as a matter of fact, and I am very happy
[18:44:35] <superfly> inetpro: then again, I'm a bit of a keyboard junkie. vim is my IDE of choice
[18:44:38] <clr_> the newer kernel solved some of my hardware issues with my laptop
[18:45:36] <inetpro> vim ftw!
[18:45:37] <pieter2627> i'll go over to the next topic as we cont. talking about upgrade...
[18:45:48] <pieter2627> Maaz: topic Miscellaneous
[18:45:48] <Maaz> Current Topic: Miscellaneous
[18:45:54] <clr_> I run ubuntu. Thought I could upgrade from 14.04, but that broke my system completely, so I had to reinsall
[18:46:10] <Kilos> oh my
[18:46:40] <Kilos> backed up /home hopefully
[18:46:52] <clr_> apparently you need to upgrade release by release
[18:47:00] <Kilos> yes
[18:47:08] <clr_> yes, /home on another disk
[18:47:10] <Kilos> only lts to lts works
[18:47:29] <pieter2627> that is interesting
[18:47:57] <pieter2627> oh, almost forgot anyone know of events for the upcoming month
[18:48:02] <clr_> right, I saw that, but then the upgrade tool allowed me to upgrade from 14.04 to 15.10, and I was.... Ok it must be possible then
[18:48:16] <Kilos> lol
[18:48:28] <Kilos> now you know
[18:48:57] <clr_> I normally end up doing a fresh install in any case, I prefer that
[18:49:09] * pieter2627 never jumped a version...
[18:49:18] <Kilos> i do clean installs everytime
[18:49:24] <Kilos> fly upgrades
[18:50:08] <pieter2627> shall i cont. with the other Misc?
[18:50:09] <clr_> So, I saw someone mentioned ubuntu install fests, and meetups etc. do have them?
[18:50:18] <Kilos> yip
[18:50:42] <Kilos> we used to clr_ but everyone too busy now
[18:51:00] <clr_> ha ok
[18:51:22] <pieter2627> well the meeting is about organizing them too if i'm correct
[18:51:33] <Kilos> correct
[18:51:52] <clr_> how about linuxconza
[18:52:00] <clr_> or linuxfestza
[18:52:11] <clr_> even australia have them, why not us
[18:52:36] <clr_> don't we need a linux conference in south africa
[18:53:21] <Kilos> inetpro comment?
[18:54:06] <pieter2627> SFD was last month, how would a linuxcon differ?
[18:54:10] <Vince-0> closest you're gonna get is sfd ya
[18:54:17] <Vince-0> obsidian is getting involved
[18:54:23] <Vince-0> and its well organised
[18:55:30] <clr_> well, SFD is supposed to promote foss software. Linuxcon should be for business etc. etc.  Like a proper conference.  Like the MyBroadband conference
[18:56:40] <inetpro> we just need people who are willing to step up and start arranging these events
[18:57:48] <pieter2627> should the ubuntu community arrange a linuxcon, or is this were Kilos's idea of getting involved with LUG's get into play?
[18:57:57] <clr_> that is where the challenge lies.  A lot of these around the world grew from the local lug meetup into something bigger
[18:58:50] <Kilos> i think working with lugs is  a good way 
[18:59:13] <pieter2627> Kilos: has this interaction lugs from us taken off yet?
[18:59:16] <Kilos> we all linux so why the apartheid
[18:59:55] <clr_> I agree, it must be all inclusive
[18:59:59] <Kilos> some of the durbs peeps were interested and jozilug but i see none of them here
[19:00:07] <Vince-0> get corporate sponsors, vendors, a venue, a schedule
[19:00:17] <Kilos> Vince-0 is here from durbs
[19:00:21] <Vince-0> oh and a committee 
[19:00:22] * pieter2627 thinks this might be a good thing to start the interaction
[19:00:28] <Kilos> i forgot to mail wwk
[19:02:19] <pieter2627> will we try this to improve the lug interaction? (quick vote pls)
[19:02:27] <Kilos> Vince-0 can you chat to the durbs guys for us please
[19:02:52] <Kilos> prob is we work here and they use G+
[19:03:20] <Kilos> so we need someone on both platforms
[19:03:35] <pieter2627> can't we sort the probs after the plan of action...
[19:03:56] <Kilos> whatever works
[19:04:16] <pieter2627> a few here will probably be able to help
[19:05:03] <pieter2627> Kilos: can you contact the know lugs to see if they are keen?
[19:05:26] <Kilos> Vince-0 is here from dbnlug
[19:05:44] <Kilos> i forget who the jozilug guys were
[19:05:57] <Kilos> ive had a slack 2 months
[19:05:58] <pieter2627> and gremble is at tuks lug
[19:06:12] <Kilos> there were 3 of them here 3 months ago
[19:06:42] <pieter2627> so will you take the task for the month?
[19:06:43] <Kilos> Vince-0 ^^
[19:07:13] <Kilos> haha ill need 4 more weeks of mostly sleeping i think
[19:07:41] <pieter2627> ai, inetpro you up for it?
[19:07:57] <pieter2627> :P
[19:08:02] <Kilos> lol
[19:08:26] <Kilos> Vince-0 and gremble are the guys to get to help
[19:08:35] <Kilos> they are insiders in the lugs
[19:08:58] <Kilos> i will mail wwk in durbs again though
[19:09:02] <pieter2627> Vince-0: could you contact the others if Kilos gave you missing details?
[19:09:28] <inetpro> pieter2627: unfortunately no
[19:09:36] * pieter2627 looking for a o/ here
[19:10:38] * inetpro has too many forks in hands to handle
[19:11:19] <pieter2627> that seems to cover lugs involvement
[19:11:25] * pieter2627 know the feeling
[19:11:28] <pieter2627> now for what i forgot - to create that Ubuntu-in-the-wild list on trello. will do it this month...
[19:11:55] <Kilos> oh my
[19:12:07] <pieter2627> can I move to next topic?
[19:12:13] <Kilos> ive totally even forgotten about trello
[19:12:16] <Kilos> yes
[19:12:32] <pieter2627> Maaz: topic Elect chairperson for next meeting
[19:12:32] <Maaz> Current Topic: Elect chairperson for next meeting
[19:12:56] * Kilos votes for pieter2627
[19:12:56] <pieter2627> so anyone up for chairing the next meeting
[19:13:01] <inetpro> +1 for pieter2627
[19:13:01] * pieter2627 still in
[19:13:34] <Kilos> can you manage it pieter2627 
[19:13:42] <Kilos> we need you 
[19:13:48] <pieter2627> Maaz_: agreed pieter2627 to chair Nov's meeting
[19:13:48] <Maaz> Agreed: pieter2627 to chair Nov's meeting
[19:14:01] <Kilos> yay ty
[19:14:01] <pieter2627> Kilos: yes
[19:14:11] <pieter2627> Maaz: topic Next meeting
[19:14:11] <Maaz> Current Topic: Next meeting
[19:14:29] <pieter2627> Next one seems to be 24 Nov right?
[19:14:45] * pieter2627 wonders what happens in Dec
[19:15:17] <Kilos> i think we have an ealy one if needed
[19:15:27] <Kilos> early
[19:15:47] <pieter2627> ah ok
[19:15:48] <Kilos> only if there is something needs discussing
[19:15:58] <pieter2627> Maaz_: agreed Next meeting is 24 November 2015 @ 20:30
[19:15:58] <Maaz> Agreed: Next meeting is 24 November 2015 @ 20:30
[19:16:13] <inetpro> 22 dec should be fine
[19:16:19] <pieter2627> thanks all for joining hope to see at the next one
[19:16:38] <pieter2627> Maaz: end meeting

ZATeam/Meetings/20151027 (last edited 2015-11-06 08:51:48 by chesedo)