For minutes of previous meetings, please see FoundationsTeam.
RobbieWilliamson - chair
LarsWirzenius - On Holiday
MatthiasKlose - on Canonical OEM Team rotational assignment
DebianImportFreeze is tomorrow - merge, merge, merge!!!
- Status and Roadmap
- Reminder to Milestone Features
Platform Team Sprint - http://wiki.canonical.com/UbuntuPlatform/Sprints/Karmic
- 8.04.3 LTS Update
- Sponsorship queue
- Good news
Great progress made at the Debian-Ubuntu Boot Performance Sprint
Outstanding actions from last meeting
liw to enter the storm of dmraid and talk to TheMuso
- Keybuk to draft KMS on the Console spec....based on mysterious irc discussion
Actions from this meeting
- Fixed ubiquity #361627 (should not remove ecryptfs-utils when in use).
- Merged: grub2, busybox, ubuntu-policy, gnu-efi, openldap
- Drafted specs: foundations-karmic-golden-iso-image, foundations-karmic-cloud-setup-in-server-installer,foundations-karmic-server-installer-improvements
- Reviewed/approved specs: foundations-karmic-install-updates-when-installing, foundations-karmic-update-on-shutdown, foundations-karmic-power-management
- Fixed user-setup #388822 (username cannot have underscore during install).
- iso-scan (merge from Muharem).
- Proposed a parted patch to clean up its current messy names for swap partition types.
- Sent a few busybox patches upstream (and then argued about them).
- Sent a proposal for installer online help text to debian-boot.
- LWN interview regarding GRUB 2.
- Adjusted base-installer for new PAE kernel package naming.
- Dynamically linked busybox in the initramfs, saving a megabyte. Some other shrinkage in initramfs-tools and dmraid.
- Worked on removing the old timezone map from ubiquity.
- Helped Marc Tardiff with a few emails on his experiences with=ubiquity automation. Verified that NTP preseeding was working, but filed bug 388343 after some discussion with Colin.
- Uploaded casper 1.132ubuntu0.3 to fix persistence support in 8.04.3.
- Tested Wubi r136 as a candidate to replace the version we have on the website for 9.04. Filed a RT to have IS sign the binary.
Had a discussion with Dylan McCall across the ubuntu-installer and ubiquity-slideshow mailing lists about the best approach for a slide format, then incorporating their existing work into the specification. Poked around the webkitgtk code.
- Helped debug some installation issues in #ubuntu-installer for waters and mattn_
- Finished drafting the encrypted swap specification. Prodded Agostino and Roman to finish their respective specs. All specifications are now approved.
- Email discussion with Michael Terry on what specifications and other work he can pick up for 9.10.
- Sorted travel for Debcamp and the sprint.
- Email discussion with Belinda about notifying interested parties about changes to oem-config.
- Did a bit of sponsorship work (LP: #380940, #384648, #349844)
- Looked into unit testing devkit-disks code via netlink messages, but after some discussion with Scott found it's much easier and better practice to create a fake devkit-disks.
- Looked into an issue of ubiquity ending up on the installed system, as reported on ubuntu-devel.
- Wrote an article for the Partner Newsletter, per Larry's request.
- Email discussion with Tim on the likelihood of colinux ever making it into the Ubuntu kernel. As this was a definite no, sent an email to ubuntu-devel announcing that we will not be pursuing it for Wubi.
- Followed up with the Xandros user looking to install Ubuntu via USB on ubuntu-devel, per Robbie's request.
Started a conversation with Andrew Sayers on his https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallProgramsFromMigrationAssistant specification. Andrew expressed interest on helping with the m-a rewrite, so I'm going to touch base with him when I return from vacation.
- Pushed Wubi r137 to Karmic.
- Hacked on the devkit backend / better backend split code for usb-creator.
- Reviewed rgreening's usb-creator backend work. Looks about ready, but I'll have to make the necessary changes to the GTK frontend and pull in the devkit backend when I return from vacation, as we're long overdue for a new release.
- Started importing lots of main, but slowed due to the the volume of mail generated. Launchpad developers promptly fixed this, thanks. I've started the import again.
- There are what appear to be similar problems causing the import of quite a few packages to fail. Investigation of this not yet done.
- Spec not completed, sorry. It will be done this week.
- Spec drafted and approved. Much help from Martin Pitt on how to implement the needed pieces in apport, thanks.
- Some new packages so that we can have the new launchpadlib. Just one new package left to do I think.
- Less sponsoring than I would have liked due to being away.
- 4 days conference leave for Open Source Bridge
Preparation and travel arrangements for DebConf.
- Update and test GCC to build with SSP
- python2.6/python3.1 updates
- Update eglibc-2.9/-2.10 in PPA
- simple eclipse update, first steps to a roadmap to update eclipse in Ubuntu.
- build dash using profile based optimization
- binutils updates needed for ARM
- llvm update, needed for OpenJDK
- prepare gdb trunk (vfp support on ARM)
- Set apt-pre-unpack spec to review
KarmicInternalRepositoryManagment in review
- Add code to the non-interactive upgrader to read the dpkg progress logs (pre-unpack spec)
- Add code to libapt to output when dpkg is about to be forked on the status-fd (pre-unpack spec)
- PAE kernel transition discussion
- misc bugfixes
- add auto-upgrade tester as its own package
- ship kubuntu and main-all in default profiles for the auto-upgrade tester (plus lts-server and lts-ubuntu)
- fix problem with left-over kvm instances
- fixes in the auto-upgrade-tester cli interface
- upload new version with auto-upgrade-tester package
- learn about it (including how to trigger it, use "crash" etc)
- fix grub to pass better crashfile= parameter (#389449)
- fixes in kexec-tools
- update crash and makecrashfile to new upstream versions (and fix libdw-dev along the way)
- switch crash output to ELF by default, this got me a meaningful backtrace with "crash" and the linux-image-debug kernel
- make it work by default once the "linux-crashdump" pacakge is installed
AppCenter design discussion
- Update app-install-data with the keyword data from mpt
- discussion about dbus apt backend with glatzor
- add debconf support to aptdaemon based around passthrough frontend and a debconf socket (lp:~mvo/aptdaemon/debconf)
- Merge the confflictschecker changes by sbeattie to macaroni and make it run again (yeah!)
Fix ubuntu-vm-builder problem (vol_id -> blkid)
- Synaptic: merge i18n fix
- Fix bugAddress in software-properties
- Debug/fix apt scoring problem with recommends (in the problem resolver)
- smartmontools, metacity, gnome-games
- Re-merged hdparm
- Updated duplicity
- Finished de-rooting it
- Polished upgrade/migration code
- Filed MIRs
- Waiting on review
- Spent a while on merging the oem-config codebase with ubiquity's
- Kept history and format by using bzr-merge-into plugin
- Now there are very few oem-config-specific files, there are just bits of code that behave differently when run as oem-config.
- Have something that builds, have not tested yet. Will upload as a bzr branch soon.
- Took care of Platform sprint travel arrangements
Merges and syncs
- dput 0.9.4ubuntu1
- rabbitmq-server 1.6.0-1
- I felt I needed a bit more background so went back and read all the specs on the subject
- started using bzr-builddeb in order to understand the underlying ideas better.
- analysis and study of the bzr-rebase plugin source code.
Scott James Remnant
- Upstream license reverted back to GPLv2 (from GPLv3)
- Much bug fixing, with several new releases: 0.3.10 and 0.3.11 of the stable branch (uploaded to Ubuntu) and 0.5.2 and 0.5.3 of the development branch
- More fiddling with trying to get the populate_rootfs() call to be async, not having much luck yet - the first thing that the initcalls do is resync - may have to move the function a bit later on
- Union mount testing
- Updated bzr tree to 143, including necessary rules and control changes caused by the inclusion of the udev-extras code (not yet uploaded)
- Debian/Ubuntu Boot sprint
release meeting: FeatureDefinitionFreeze
- Ubuntu 8.04.3 work
- following up on Debian LTS coordination
- boot performance sprint in London