Meeting opened by popey at 20:00
<popey> Hi. Welcome all to the Ubuntu UK Meeting
<popey> I'm Alan, your chair for this evening. Please let us know you're present with a o/
<popey> Please keep chit-chat to a minimum whilst we hold the meeting.
<popey> The agenda can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeamMeetingAgenda please take a moment to open that up
<popey> First item on the agenda..
<popey> [TOPIC] popey - review of action items from last meeting
popey - review of action items from last meeting
<popey> [PROGRESS REPORT] People who have achieved something in July, please place it in the report
People who have achieved something in July, please place it in the report
<popey> if you've done anything to do with Ubuntu this month, please add it to the above page
<MichealH> popey: Do we need this as it is the middle of July?
<popey> other team report months will not really be suitable for July
<MichealH> I thought we did it at the start of every month
<gneel> I guess it could be updated until the end of the month though.
<popey> we remind people all the time every month
<popey> it can be updated at any time
<popey> \o/ Wikis!
<popey> moving on..
<MichealH> Ooops Sorry popey
<popey> [PROGRESS REPORT] Daubers update on support guidelines
Daubers update on support guidelines
<popey> daubers isnt around, I believe he was unable to make the meeting due to other commitments
<popey> so we can defer that
<popey> [PROGRESS REPORT] popey to determine testing methods for ISO testing
popey to determine testing methods for ISO testing
<popey> I mailed the list about this.. which was my action item from last time, and so far I've had one volunteer who has offered to take this on
<popey> other volunteers welcome too!
<MichealH> popey: I volenteer!
<popey> great! see me after the meeting!
<gneel> Phew! It's not just me then?
<MichealH> Not at all gneel
<popey> awesome, having multiple people help with that will be really useful!
<popey> ok, next up..
<popey> [PROGRESS REPORT] popey to to mail the list and blog about non-technical events
popey to to mail the list and blog about non-technical events
<popey> MichealH: I'm on top of the agenda, don't worry
<MichealH> No waut thats tech realted... Just forget it :S
brunogirin was in wrong room
<popey> I mailed the list, blogged and we covered this on the podcast, so I think thats that action item initially covered
<gneel> Is it worth a follow-up when we've got a list of event types?
<popey> but happy to hear (via the list or my blog or feedback to the podcast) about any other non-tech events that people might want to pimp ubuntu at!
<popey> sure, we can certainly do that
<popey> we have a wiki page to track this
<MichealH> popey: Oh...
<popey> these are suggested events that the LoCo might want to consider attending
<MichealH> Moving on...
<MichealH> Okay... issyl0 and ascenseur isnt here
<popey> no, please don't I mean.
<MichealH> well we could try a ping
<popey> please be patient
<MichealH> Oh sorry
<popey> I am not finished
<popey> we can discuss this more on the list, will add a progress report item again for the next meeting, as I only posted to the list very recently and the podcast wont come out until later this evening
<popey> so discussion can certainly carry on for a while about that subject.
<MichealH> I agree
<popey> Ok, moving on...
<popey> [TOPIC] ascenseur & issyl0 - Geeknic
ascenseur & issyl0 - Geeknic
<popey> issyl0: poke!
<popey> I know Joe sent a mail to the list recently, so anyone interested in coming along to the London Geeknic, please do sign up, and let Joe know!
<MichealH> popey: I know I cant!
<popey> http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/172/detail/ has detail
<popey> ok, we can bump the geeknic update till issyl0 and joe are about
<popey> Next we have...
<popey> [TOPIC] AlanBell - Review of the Ubuntu In Business Event
AlanBell - Review of the Ubuntu In Business Event
<popey> AlanBell: over to you..
<brunogirin> popey: there is just one question: where? Hyde Park is big
<MichealH> brunogirin: I expect there will be a map
<popey> brunogirin: perhaps ask on the list?
<MichealH> A google map?
<MichealH> brunogirin: Or ask in #geeknic
<brunogirin> popey: I did, Joe said he would sort that out
<AlanBell> ok, so the Ubuntu in Business event was held on the 13th
<popey> I'd rather it was on the list so everyone could see it
<AlanBell> I think a great time was had by all
<popey> but lets move on to the next item with AlanBell
<danfish> congrats to AlanBell and all
<AlanBell> there were a number of presentations and demos conducted by members of the community and various partner organisations
<AlanBell> The Ubuntinis were an interesting drink
danfish would love to see an ubuntu in the public sector event and would be happy to help :0
<AlanBell> it generated some press coverage, somewhere on ITpro that I don't have a link for right now
<MichealH> AlanBell: Thats great!
<AlanBell> we are having a followup call with the Canonical half of the organising team tomorrow
<AlanBell> and will be discussing stuff to do better at the next one
<AlanBell> thats the one
<Thingymebob> danfish: that sounds sensible with the NHS just ditching MS contract
<AlanBell> so yes, one with more of a public sector focus might work well
<AlanBell> any other comments from people who attended?
<AlanBell> there are a few articles on http://blog.canonical.com/ about it too
<popey> We need to look for more venues
<popey> the venue was.. quirky
<popey> both quirky good and quirky bad
<AlanBell> it was
<brunogirin> I agree, in particular there wasn't enough space around the tables for the demos
<MichealH> popey: Maybe on up north?
<popey> we can have them wherever people are willing to organise them
<popey> north, south, east or west
<MichealH> Okay... So...
<lee_cow> question: was any of the material shown at the event available elsewhere for review?
<AlanBell> lee_cow: presentations and things you mean?
<brunogirin> ah yes, I had the same question: is there a way to have access to the presentation material?
<popey> i have a copy of all the presentations
<lee_cow> could the presentations be added to wiki?
<popey> not sure how useful they'd be without the chat
<MichealH> I agree
<AlanBell> I can put my presentation up somewhere
<popey> but I can certainly put them online
<lee_cow> comments understood, merci
<AlanBell> sounds like an action
<popey> [ACTION] popey to put the presentations online from UiB
popey to put the presentations online from UiB
<danfish> Talking about the NHS MS contract being ditched, my PCT are looking for alternative virtualisation schemes - an area for me to action?
<AlanBell> ok, think I am done on the UiB area
<popey> danfish: want to add it as an agenda item for next time or bring it up as AOB?
<popey> next item..
<popey> [TOPIC] danfish - Distributed Backup proposal
danfish - Distributed Backup proposal
<popey> over to you danfish
<danfish> A discussion was had a few weeks ago on distributed backup and how it would be a rather attractive addition to ubuntu(-uk?)
<danfish> Essentially with distributed backup you sacrifice some of your own storage to gain offsite storage.
<danfish> I've done some googleinging and have looked at existing projects
<danfish> popey in fact came up with a good example in the proprietary wuala (http://www.wuala.com)
<danfish> but the 'overhead' is fairly steep
<danfish> there is an similar project from MIT called Distributed Internet Backup System (DIBS)
<popey> a guy in hampshire lug also has one called DIASER
<popey> which is open source
<danfish> the licence on the site looks pretty much linux friendly and permissive
<danfish> popey: ok not seen that one
<danfish> Is this idea worth pursuing in people's opinions, or too ambitious/unrealistic/dumb?
<gneel> Is there a way to set a schedule for uploads/downloads? I'm on metered broadband with an unmetered period.
<popey> gneel: those are kinda implementation details
<popey> each is different
<gneel> OK, I'm not familiar with either.
<popey> maybe danfish could go away and review a few and maybe we could build a little team of people who want to take part?
<danfish> gneel: the idea is you could allocate a specific time/volume ratio
<popey> me neither gneel
<MichealH> It seems a good Idea but how are we supposed to temp host if lets say the host rejects it... The backup is there... but useless?
<popey> there is no concept of 'rejection', its a system for distributed backups which is usually encrypted
<popey> so people dont know what they're storing or even who for
<danfish> I would be happy to do that popey - would me setting up a wiki page to explore further be an idea?
<popey> you give over a chunk of your disk to the scheme
<MichealH> Ahh I didnt know what it was I thought it was a "backup"
<popey> danfish: yeah, and review each one maybe?
<popey> ask for volunteers to help?
<danfish> popey: yup, happy to do that :0
<MichealH> danfish: I would volenteer
<popey> me too
<funkyHat> I might be interested in this too
<danfish> I expect it's a long term project tho!
<popey> sounds great danfish
<MichealH> No matter I have over 200 GB to spare
<MichealH> Well 360 GB
<popey> [ACTION] Danfish to document distributed backup solutions and call for volunteers on the list
Danfish to document distributed backup solutions and call for volunteers on the list
<popey> anyone else got any points about that before we move on?
<popey> [TOPIC] AlanBell - Profile Roulette
AlanBell - Profile Roulette
<popey> AlanBell !
<AlanBell> ooh, me again
<AlanBell> ok, so this is something invented by a student in the Irish team working on his masters degree
<AlanBell> he is studying computing and at the moment looking at community development
<AlanBell> and for the -ie team he kicked off a profile of the day project where they promote a different member of the team each day
<AlanBell> to help people to get to know each other a bit better
<AlanBell> kind of a team building activity
<AlanBell> quite a good idea
<AlanBell> MichealH: what are you doing??
cps seconds AlanBell
<MichealH> AlanBell: Signifies you want to speak
<popey> not here it doesnt
<MichealH> AlanBell: It seems a good Idea
<AlanBell> that is the link to the original
<AlanBell> I tweaked the concept a bit and added some additional wiki-foo
<gneel> I was amused when the UK page picked popey when I first looked at it.
<popey> me too!
<gneel> were you the only one with the tag?
<AlanBell> gneel: first was daubers I think
<czajkowski> yes daubers was first
<AlanBell> ok, so each day the ProfileRoulette page above will contain a different person's profile
<gneel> It did spur me into updating my page a bit!
<MichealH> popey: What a coincidence!
<AlanBell> except for today coz I was out
<AlanBell> if you want to join in there are some requirements
<AlanBell> firstly, you need a wiki page on wiki.ubuntu.com
<MichealH> AlanBell: Fire them at me!
<popey> [ACTION] Everyone create and update their wiki page
Everyone create and update their wiki page :)
<AlanBell> this is easy to create, you just need a launchpad account to log on to the wiki, then go to http://wiki.ubuntu.com/YourName and create a page there
<MichealH> AlanBell: My Wikipage is differnt from my IRC Nick... Can I give it to you?
<AlanBell> see other people's pages for examples of stuff to put on it
<AlanBell> it doesn't matter what the exact page name is
<AlanBell> at the end of the page put a horizontal line
<AlanBell> like that
<gneel> MichealH: doesn't matter
<MichealH> Oh :P
<AlanBell> that will put you on the index on this page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CategoryUKTeamProfile
<AlanBell> I (or someone, doesn't have to be me) will use a fair random number generator each day to pick someone and update the ProfileRoulette page
<AlanBell> you will note on the Profile Roulette page there is an edit this profile link
<gneel> Is the process documented anywhere?
<MichealH> AlanBell: May I volenteer?
<AlanBell> that is for you to edit the profile of the current person and maybe fix something up or leave them a testimonial
<AlanBell> gneel: documented in the minutes of this meeting
<popey> \o/ auto minutes
<MichealH> I <3 Bots!
<AlanBell> MichealH: I am OK with doing it for the moment
<popey> ok, thanks for that AlanBell
<AlanBell> I will tend to tweet about it when I spin the wheel
<AlanBell> probably with the #profileroulette hashtag
<popey> the wheel of misfortune
<MichealH> AlanBell: I have a question
<AlanBell> and I am @alanbelltolc on twitter if you are not already following
<AlanBell> MichealH: ask away
<MichealH> AlanBell: If the same person is picked out then do you choode annother?
cps seconds MichealH
<AlanBell> incidentally I tweeted about #profile #roulette and a load of gambling sites retweeted it
<MichealH> AlanBell: LOL
<AlanBell> MichealH: no, it is random, but really not that important, I can't be bothered to keep track of the number of days each profile is up there
<AlanBell> actually if it was the same on consecutive days I would probably pick another
<MichealH> AlanBell: Thats what I was saying :P
<AlanBell> ok, if we all think this is a jolly good idea I will mail the list about it as well
<czajkowski> jolly good
<cps> it's good
<popey> [ACTION] AlanBell to mail the list about profile roulette
AlanBell to mail the list about profile roulette
<AlanBell> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NorthCarolinaTeam/ProfileRoulette it has been picked up by the -us-nc loco too!
<popey> ok, lets move on, time is passing..
<gneel> PlanetUbuntu FTW
cps agrees with gneel :P
<popey> AlanBell: all done?
<popey> [TOPIC] MichealH - Update on Website
MichealH - Update on Website
<MichealH> Okay... The Website is coming along well but we have yet had anything close to someone make a HTML demo based on the mockups... Anyone Volenter?
<MichealH> So what are the next steps?
<MichealH> [LINK] www.ubuntu-uk.org
<MichealH> [LINK] wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam
<MichealH> I am willing to make a Live Demo mockup thingy
<MichealH> Anyone else want to help?
<gneel> Someone was prepared.
<funkyHat> I can probably help
<popey> you know @daviey is working on the site too?
<MichealH> Yes gneel
<popey> have you spoken to daviey?
<MichealH> I didnt knot that popey
<popey> he talked about it at the last meeting
<popey> and showed off some screenshots
<AlanBell> well we have more bits in place now, such as the design toolkit and the first release of the font (to Ubuntu Members but only the regular weight)
<popey> be good if you guys talked to eachother about this
<popey> don't want lots of duplication of effort
<funkyHat> Is there some kind of NDA on the font or can people get hold of it if they aren't ubuntu members? ;D
<popey> only ubuntu members can get the font at the moment
<MichealH> Okay popey fire an [CTION]
<popey> [ACTION] MichealH to contact daviey about the new website design
MichealH to contact daviey about the new website design
<MichealH> Everyone agree?
<popey> yeah, do it!
<MichealH> Okay popey Do your stuff
<popey> MichealH: happy to move on?
<MichealH> Yup Unless there are questions?
<popey> great, thanks
<popey> [TOPIC] AlanBell - Release activities for 10.10
AlanBell - Release activities for 10.10
<popey> YOU AGAIN!
<AlanBell> ooh again
<MichealH> AlanBell: :/
<AlanBell> right, so this is some way in advance of the release, but lets start thinking about release activites
<AlanBell> the release day will be Sunday 10/10/10
<popey> ooo, didnt notice it was a sunday
<AlanBell> which is a bit odd, but we can work with that
<AlanBell> yeah, the release team actually have to get the code ready for the friday
<AlanBell> so there will no doubt be a London party organised by Canonical
<AlanBell> not sure on which day
<popey> can we action you to find out?
<czajkowski> not odd, it was voted on to make it special seeing as the date is rather geeky
<AlanBell> that is likely to be in a bar, over 21s and not really much about Ubuntu
<gneel> I'm going to try and organise a party in Cardiff. Left it too late for 10.04
<MichealH> AlanBell: I will have a mini-party here!
<popey> czajkowski: sunday is an odd day to release
<popey> czajkowski: and it was most definitely _not_ _voted_ on
<AlanBell> czajkowski: yes, 10/10/10 is great, sunday is odd
<AlanBell> 101010 is 42 in binary
<czajkowski> popey: was in the techboard or one of them boards I get confused upon
<AlanBell> lets discuss the democratic process later
<popey> yes, lets talk about parties
<AlanBell> so other things around that time?
<AlanBell> do we want to do an installfest perhaps?
<brunogirin> actually a Sunday could be a good day for an installfest
<popey> or multiple ones
<AlanBell> it could
<AlanBell> and we should have the actual code if they are spinning it on Friday
<funkyHat> That would be a nice change ÂD
<czajkowski> how about install fest a potluck kinda thing
<czajkowski> in a community halll ?
<lee_cow> would it not be available through iso testing or did i miss a link on the iso topic
<AlanBell> yeah, or perhaps schools/universities or something
<czajkowski> people can be installing stuff, chatting and potluck means you provide the food
<AlanBell> lee_cow: yeah, normally the final final .iso is only just going out to mirrors when the party kicks off
<popey> ok, so a plan of action?
<AlanBell> ok, any other types of activty?
<AlanBell> I think for the installfests some venues need to be found
<brunogirin> what about computer fairs? I know there are a couple of them every Saturday around Tottenham Court Rd
<MichealH> House Party?
<AlanBell> popey: tell you what, give me an action to mail the list and call for venues in different cities
<popey> [ACTION] AlanBell to mail the list about venues for the 10.10 on 10.10.10 release party/installfest/picnic/jam/thing/doodah
AlanBell to mail the list about venues for the 10.10 on 10.10.10 release party/installfest/picnic/jam/thing/doodah
<popey> ok, time is short..
<popey> [TOPIC] BrunoGirin - Update on Shotwell for Maverick
BrunoGirin - Update on Shotwell for Maverick
<brunogirin> so as you may or may not know, Shotwell will replace F-Spot in 10.10
<brunogirin> [LINK] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-maverick-shotwell
<MichealH> brunogirin: Anyone who reads OMG!Ubuntu! knows
<brunogirin> MichaelH: yes, I know, I'm getting to the other interesting info but I wasn't as well prepared as you
<brunogirin> Shotwell is developed by an organisation called Yorba
<czajkowski> MichealH: will you stop interuptig people when they are explaining their action item
<brunogirin> I accidentally got involved in solving bugs
<brunogirin> and am now delivering the F-Spot import functionality
<brunogirin> The Yorba guys are very responsive and have brought their 0.7 release forward in order to release it in time for 10.10
<brunogirin> so anybody interested in trying out the latest version of the software, get it from the Yorba PPA (version 0.6.1 at the moment)
<brunogirin> anybody willing to do a bit more testing, it's really easy to install from source, provided you have the Vala compiler installed (apt-get install valac)
<popey> is the f-spot import written?
<brunogirin> [LINK] http://yorba.org/shotwell/install/
<MichealH> Thanks brunogirin
<MichealH> I will test
<popey> i.e. if i load shotwell on a machine that has lots of photos in f-spot will it pull them in? what can we do to test that?
<brunogirin> popey: I have some working code, it's ticket #139 in Yorba's bug tracker
<brunogirin> popey: it's not in yet but a first version should be ready within a week or 2
<popey> would be good to let the loco know when it's ready
<popey> I'm sure some people would like to test it
<brunogirin> [LINK] http://trac.yorba.org/ticket/139
<popey> great stuff
<popey> would it be worth you mailing the list and/or blogging about it?
<brunogirin> popey: will do, in fact, my next point was to coordinate testing during beta
<brunogirin> yes I've been planning to blog about it for some time now but found it was more productive to actually get the code sorted for now
<popey> so shall I give you an action to raise awareness on the list?
<popey> and we can help promote it
<brunogirin> yes, please do
<popey> [ACTION] brunogirin to publicise testing of shotwell
brunogirin to publicise testing of shotwell
<popey> great, glad you brought it up, I have been wondering how the import would work!
<popey> good to know a local is working on it
<popey> ok, thats all the main items...
<popey> [TOPIC] popey - Any Other Business
popey - Any Other Business
<popey> anything else anyone wants to bring up?
<brunogirin> I'll be at GUADEC next week so will do a summary when back
<popey> ok, great
<popey> [TOPIC] popey - Date of next meeting
popey - Date of next meeting
<popey> 2 weeks or 4?
<MichealH> I think popey has troubles looking at the tweet
<MichealH> popey: 2 weeks.
<MichealH> Tes 3rd?
<MichealH> *Tues 3rd
<MichealH> Any objections?
<popey> i cant do that
<gneel> Can't make a Tuesday
<MichealH> Wed 4th?
<MichealH> popey: 4th?
<popey> thats certainly two weeks..
<popey> ok, no dissent, 4th it is
<brunogirin> can't make the 4th
<MichealH> So is it agreed?
<czajkowski> would it be an idea to fix the date for the meeting... so a monthly meeting on a certain date ?
<czajkowski> MichealH: you're not going to go through all of the dates are you in the month
<popey> czajkowski: we have tried various ways of doing it
<popey> moving it around helps people who can't do certain days
<czajkowski> popey: fair enough just wondered, just hard to keep track
<MichealH> I really need to go but I want to stay to the end...
<popey> thats why we pimp it a lot
<lee_cow> should the next meeting not be on the ubuntu-fridge calendar?
<czajkowski> dontfoget to add it to the report
<popey> we can do that
<popey> [TOPIC] Chair for next meeting
Chair for next meeting
<popey> I nominate czajkowski !
<MichealH> popey: I nominate myself
<AlanBell> ooh interesting, czajkowski for chair
<czajkowski> it doesnt clash with anything so I can
<czajkowski> ok shall do it
Meeting closed at 21:11
- popey to put the presentations online from UiB
- Danfish to document distributed backup solutions and call for volunteers on the list
Everyone create and update their wiki page
AlanBell to mail the list about profile roulette
- MichealH to contact daviey about the new website design
AlanBell to mail the list about venues for the 10.10 on 10.10.10 release party/installfest/picnic/jam/thing/doodah
- brunogirin to publicise testing of shotwell