Important Note: Please DO NOT Download any version of Ubuntu GNOME without READING the Release Notes - here is why - especially the Known Issues. Thank you!
Read this Site in your Language:
Ubuntu GNOME 16.04.1 LTS
Ubuntu GNOME is an official flavor of Ubuntu, featuring the GNOME desktop environment. Ubuntu GNOME is a mostly pure GNOME desktop experience built from the Ubuntu repositories. This version is based on the GNOME 3.18 release - why not GNOME 3.20? please visit the See Also section for more details.
Minimum System Requirements
- 1 GHz processor (for example Intel Celeron) or better.
- 1.5 GB RAM (system memory).
- 7 GB of free hard drive space for installation.
- Either a CD/DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media.
- Internet access is helpful (for installing updates during the installation process).
Features of Ubuntu GNOME 16.04.1 LTS
- GNOME 3.18
- Fixes to Language pack installation (gnome-control-center) and ibus support
- GNOME Software has replaced Ubuntu Software Center
- GNOME Calendar and GNOME Logs are installed by default
- GNOME Builder (IDE) is now available in the archives
- Support for installing Snappy packages.
- If you want try the GNOME Classic session on the live CD, set a user password before logging out.
- Root-less Xorg is now available, if you are using FOSS KMS drivers you can enable it by removing "xserver-xorg-legacy" package.
Experimental wayland session is now available. Install gnome-session-wayland and then select "GNOME on wayland" from login screen (Only works with OSS GPU drivers).
Applications in Ubuntu GNOME 16.04.1 LTS
GNOME Shell. The GNOME desktop environment from where you can search and start applications, switch between windows, etc.
Nautilus (File Manager). An easy to use file manager for organizing your documents, music, pictures, videos and files in general.
Firefox Web Browser. Browse the web with one of the most popular fast, flexible and secure web browsers.
LibreOffice. Create professional documents, spreadsheets, presentations and even more with the open-source office suite.
gedit (Text Editor). A small and lightweight text editor for the GNOME desktop environment.
GNOME Software. Lets you browse and install thousands of free and paid applications available for Ubuntu.
Tweak Tool. Change advanced settings – appearance, fonts, keyboard and mouse, windows and workspaces. Install extensions, set power options, select startup applications.
Get Ubuntu GNOME 16.04.1 LTS
DOWNLOAD Ubuntu GNOME 16.04.1 LTS (Xenial Xerus).
Upgrading from last release
Before upgrading, it is highly recommended to back up your data. See this page for tutorials on how to backup your data. Or just download Clonezilla and create an image of your hard drive or system partition.
The included GUI update manager will offer you the latest release of Ubuntu GNOME. Which can also be accessed via Terminal:
Alternatively, launch Terminal by hitting Ctrl+Alt+T and run the following command:
Note. If you were using the gnome3-team/gnome3-staging PPA, you should run
sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 sudo apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop^
If you are having problems with upgrading - No new release found - please see this.
More information about Upgrading can be found here.
Personal Package Archives (PPAs)
PPAs for Ubuntu GNOME can be found on this link.
- Missing bits of 3.18 are available on the Gnome3 PPA (gnome3-team/gnome3)
- 3.20 is currently being added to the Gnome3-staging PPA (gnome3-team/gnome3-staging)
Upgrades from 14.04 may fail, make sure to backup first before trying (1555237)
The prompt asking for media removal is not shown at the end of the installation (966480)
Shutdown/Restart of live session guest does not work in Virtualbox, and VMWare (1447038)
Ubuntu GNOME Xenial live image boots to tty1 on some systems (1548864)
Systems using NVIDIA proprietary driver on hybrid (prime) systems might fail to boot (1559576)
The Maps app temporarily does not work since MapQuest discontinued a free service July 11. The Maps app is not included in the 16.04.1 images but users who upgraded from previous releases (15.10 or 16.04) will still have it installed. (1602035)
Ubuntu Release Notes
For common issues with Ubuntu, please refer to the Ubuntu release notes.
3 years – see releases.
Q: Why is GNOME 3.20 not included by default with Ubuntu GNOME 16.04.1 LTS?
A: Please see this E-mail and while the versions are different on that email, the concept remains valid and same applies to 16.04 LTS for the very same reason mentioned.
To get the latest GNOME, you need to use our PPA.