A developer in general who likes to learn new things about technology, i first got to know Ubuntu at around 2007 i think, but i didn't get to use it as my main OS till mid 2010, then i started to learn more about Ubuntu every day, I've always wanted to contribute but i always thought it was hard and i didn't know where to start, till one day i ran into the BeginnersTeam wiki, only then i found a way to get started. If there's another thing i want to help contributing to by developing it's my favorite browser Firefox, i have some contribution there, by posting bugs and feedback, ideas and such. Currently i work as a PHP developer and I'm self studying python and now I'm able to participate in some projects written in Python and help with fixing some bugs.
- Currently my main programming language since i work as a PHP/MySql developer in a websites development company, PHP was one of the languages i self studied around 2008, i got to learn more about it after i started working with it.
- Used to use it when i was in college and i also used it in my graduation project, but since i started giving more attention in web development i started to use it less often, and if i ever decide that i need to use it, it will take me a little to refresh my memory, but i got to admit, my Java programming period was fun.
- Started to use them more often as soon as i started giving web development more attention, around 2007, Currently I'm interested in most modern web technologies, like HTML5 and CSS3.
Since a lot of Ubuntu programs are written with this language i find that learning it opens a lot of opportunities to contribute to Ubuntu, One of the useful tutorials i found was perdo3005's IRC logs Intro To Python, very useful for a started, then there's Currently learning this language and i find it so exciting, I've finished reading and i plan to start finding other more advanced ones to read in the near future.
Right now I'm a member of UBT and the dev FG, i try to balance between two goals, contributions: a couple of projects i try to contribute to, like Opunity and TouchNet, and a couple of minor contributions on some other projects Studying: Right now i am trying to improve my python coding to get better chances in contributing on more projects and become a more useful member to the community.
Future Plans & Projects
- Of course my main objective here is to be able to fix minor Ubuntu bugs and in the future i would like to start participating in developing some packages.
- Currently I'm studying python in my spare time and soon after I plan to try Google's app engine using python and think of ways of how i could use the benefits i could get from using it.
- So far nothing more than just few feedbacks on some bugs on launchpad, if that counts.
- 26th April 2010: So now that i've started to hang out more on the irc, my decent knowledge with Ubuntu is apparently useful for some other people, and i found that the irc is a good way to help out people, and in the same time you get to learn from other people who are also trying to help.
In this section i'm going to try to keep track of my improvement and progress in this Ubuntu community and the Ubuntu beginners team :), Since the first couple of days were fast i don't think i'm gonna put any dates.
- Made my wiki page, which you are reading right now.
- Completed my launchpad account, did the PGP key, signed the code of conduct using it, which i found cool because the email was encrypted and i had to decrypt it with my key using the terminal and click a link in it :D, did my ssh key.
I've put my name on the people seeking guide page, but since i was so impatient i actually contacted jledbetter my self because i found that she contacted 3 before and yet she hasn't had any apprentice, she replied the following asking of my interests and such.
- Started hanging out on the irc channels, met few people and got to know new people who also hang there often.
Actually met jledbetter on the IRC and i guess she decided to take me as an apprentice/padawan, which was cool :P lol
Got in a talk with some people about some open source project Opunity, and actually got invited to join, and since PHP is one of my languages i accepted, and i joined my first project on launchpad.
- Did my first bazaar branching and put my ssh key into use lol.
- (27 april 2011) Made my first branch and registered it to the project I'm working on.
(28 april 2011) Pushing and getting some launchpad karma yea lol
(15 may 2011) Got approved on UBT and UBT-dev launchpad group, and my IRC +v
- (6 june 2011 ) Became a guide :P
If you love me write something here lol
Something - nlsthzn