For minutes of previous meetings, please see FoundationsTeam.
RobbieWilliamson - chair
Jaunty (Alpha 3 release tomorrow - Jan 15)
8.04.2 LTS Release (Jan 22)
- Summary of changes for the 8.04.2 LTS update
Objectives Guidance (internal link)
- Good News
Actions from this meeting
Robbie to add information about "pet bugs" to internal /QA/BugFixing/TeamBugLists wiki. - Done
- Colin to deliver 8.04.2 manifest by the end of the week.
- Updated tasksel for Steve Kowalik's mobile changes.
- Merged: dpkg, vim (fixing #296324).
- Analysis of linux/ubiquity/update-manager #314004; fixed ubiquity side.
- Added ext4 support to the installer:
- partman-ext3 extensions to support ext4, committed upstream.
parted work to permit the above (sent upstream as http://parted.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/188).
- Minor adjustments to iso-scan, os-prober, partconf, partman-auto,partman-partitioning, and rescue, all committed upstream.
- Backported upstream patch to klibc (#309762).
- Added mkfs.ext4 symlink to e2fsprogs-udeb (Debian #511207).
- Fixed apt-setup #314462 (-backports lines in sources.list don't honour "free software only" option).
- Fixed mobile seeds to stop crashing germinate.
- apt-setup bug fixes (#256098, #294365).
- Ported pcmciautils to udev 136.
- Fixed support for my 3G modem (though some problems to resolve before
- Adjusted and ran Celso's script to import old package removal data into Launchpad (#159585).
- Fixed debootstrap --second-stage failure reported by Michael Casadevall.
- Started watching archive-reorganisation UDS videos (not finished yet).
Didn't really get round to the sponsorship queue this week. ichthux-meta #289741 was all I managed.
- Followed up with Artwork team about slideshow work.
- Added encrypted home directory support to ubiquity.
- Fixed the remaining bug preventing the manual partitioner from working in ubiquity since the new partman landed.
- Tried my hand at upgrading ia32-libs after I ran into 273693 upon upgrading to Jaunty. Still trying to get this right, but appear to be on the cusp.
- Set up a Windows 7 beta environment for testing Wubi and in the future usb-creator and migration-assistant development.
- Tried merging and updating the seeds in slangasek's absence, but there were no changes to the seeds that needed an upload.
- Tried to work out the correct options for dpkg/apt to get gnome-app-install to look at a different root directory, so that we can embed g-a-i in usb-creator for adding and removing packages from the squashfs. Sent an email to mvo, but poking around the code in parallel.
Hacking together a python WrapLabel class based off the one from libview to hopefully work around a long standing GTK bug.
- Started looking into copying out the kernel and initramfs when running from a USB disk.
- Distributed Development
- Trying to prioritise and plan work for this cycle, no spec yet, but that will be my task this week.
- Bug fixing, sponsoring, build fixing, bug triage etc., getting back in to the swing of things again.
- Figuring out how to find bugs that should go on the team bug list for Jaunty.
Done this week:
- Back from vacation. Processed e-mail backlog.
- Finished inventing my PDR objectives for this cycle.
- Looked at bleachbit, found by Michael Vogt, which does somethings Cruft Remover should eventually do, too.
- Attempted to make a jaunty virtual machine for me to play in, without complete success: upgrading works, after removing openoffice.org-voikko, see #316754, but X does not work. (Had some networking problems too, since the MAC changed, and udev's persistence management named the new one eth1.)
I'm basing the jaunty VM on an intrepid VM, and creating it using virt-clone. Wrote http://liw.fi/rename-host/ to help me remember what to change when renaming a host.
Reported #316775 (virt-clone should update <graphics port='xxx'/>).
- Helped a new developer on IRC to debug a build problem with their new package.
Plans for the coming week:
- Prepare a new system-cleanear package for upload, with a new (final!) name: Computer Janitor, unless someone comes up with something better. Also, write the three new plugins, and start the integration with update-manager sources.
- Ask system-cleaner to be installed by default in jaunty, so we can shake out any bugs as early as possible.
- Make piuparts work on Ubuntu out of the box again, at least when run on intrepid (and jaunty, if I can get a working jaunty VM).
- Started preparing a new upstream release of espeak for upload after alpha 3 releases.
- Audio bug triaging.
Checked Fedora's PortAudio v19 package for a patch to make it play nice with pulseaudio. Included this patch in our portaudio 19 package, and uploaded.
Uploaded new revision of PulseAudio with many fixes from git, thanks to Daniel Chen for his help.
- Prepared pulseaudio 0.9.14 for upload right after alpha 3 releases.
- Attempted to update the dmraid kernel module, but found that it froze the virtual machine I used for testing when attempting to load it. Will leave the dmraid kernel module as the forward ported version for now, as it seems to work ok.
- Thought that dmraid latest upstream was broken due to it not recognising metadata from the BIOS on a motherboard I have, but after updating the dmraid package with new fixes from Debian,everything worked as it should.
- Updated dmraid package with new revisions from debian.
- Replied to Michael Casadevall's core-dev application.
- Installed jaunty, hoping to use it day to day for easier testing.
- toolchain updates
- update binutils to the 2.19 branch
- merge glibc with Debian
- gc[cj]-4. updates for jaunty and intrepid
- backport GCC fixes for wrong-code issues to the 4.3 branch.
IcedTea build fixes
- OpenJDK updates for jaunty, prepare updates for intrepid and hardy
- acpica-unix, opie, ggz-server updates (ARM build failures), arm status.
- write MIR's for packages not building in main due to component mismatches
- release manager duties for alpha-3 on Friday.
- python packaging updates (for upload after alpha-3).
- not too much bug triage.
- make the upgrade experience for EOL releases better (for releases that moved from archive.u.c to old-releases.u.c) by auto transition from old-releases.u.c to archive.u.c (or a mirror) if needed (this is auto detected)
- work on a the aufs branch
- help ahasenbeg with seting up the auto upgrade tester on his box
Work on lilo removal on intrepid->jaunty upgrades in u-m (#314004)
- Upload new update-manager that includes the update-manager-text interface
- Debug upgrade issue to alpha-3 with liw (#316754)
- work on the auto upgrade tester for alpha-3
- kvm in jaunty (both -79 and -82 from the PPA) freeze under jaunty after some time. this makes testing difficult
- moved the test to my laptop that runs intrepid for now (not ideal)
- need to evaluate xen/ec2 port
- gdebi i18n fixes
- synaptic i18n updates/fixes
- apt i18n fixes (from sianis)
- unattended-upgrades i18n merges
- learned that rosetta does not keep pot files up2date automatically
- update-manager i18n review/update (POTFILES.in)
- jaunty-codec-install spec
- port the bbc totem plugin to the new codec install mechanism
- discuss performance issues with slomo/tim
- add checks for successfull package installation
- some cleanups
- fix the performance issues in the totem plugin and upload
- upload/sync gnome-codec-install into jaunty
- app-install-data review/update
- command-not-found-data review/update
- Merge python-apt fix for candidateInstalledSize/aptsources code
- update the mirror list (from LP)
- review/merge big patch from debian (jak) that adds a whole lot of documentation (yeah!)
- bug triage
- Merge software-properties fix from pochu
- Work on apturl, bug triage, patch review/applying, upload
- Popcon server maintainace
- fix/forward to upstream trivial bugfix in live-magic
- reproduce/forward libcompizconfig bug with the desktop integration and alt handling
- play a bit with xkit
- finish to put my specs into Review state
review JauntyCruftRemover and sent feedback
- review/sponsor totem/totem-pl-parser update
- Review/sponsoring scim
- review/sponsor vte
- review/sponsor metacity (but dholbach was one minute quicker)
Scott James Remnant
- Updated watershed to install itself into the initramfs
- After uploading udev 136, I set about making sure all packages that ship udev rules install to /lib/udev/rules.d and include Breaks on udev to force an upgrade.
- Uploads to: alsa-toosl, alsa-utils, avarice, barry-util, bitpim, bluez, boinc, brltty, comedilib, cpad-kernel, edac-utils, etoken-pro-support, foo2zjs, fuse-utils, garmin-forerunner-tools,gpsd, hal, hama-slide-mouse-control, hdapsd, hdparm, hplip,ifplugd, ifupdown, kino, kqemu-source, kvm, libchipcard-tools, libdjconsole-data, libdlm3, libfprint0, libgphoto2-2, libgpib-bin, libibverbs1, libmtp8, libnjb5, libsane, libsane-extras, libticales2-1, libvpb0, libxenomai1, linux-wlan-ng, lirc, lomoco, madfuload, mga-vid-common, midisupport-firmware, mouseemu, mt-st, multipath-tools, mythtv-backend, nut, nut-hal-drivers, openct, rt73-common, selinux-basics, speechd-up, spectools, trousers, tucnak2, usbmount, util-linux, vzctl, x52pro, xen-utils-3.3, zaptel
- Rebuilt uswsusp to shed libvolumeid0 dependency
- Fixed issues with lvm2, mdadm and dmsetup
- Packaged udev-extras
- Fixed udev package to remove additional conffiles left over from previous versions
- Updated saned to drop the scanner group completely.
- Trying to get RPM to build
- Release management
- 8.04.2 preparations
- SRU processing for 8.04.2
fix up oversized alternate CDs by dropping more langpacks
- phone call w/ QA to discuss remaining SRUs
- Jaunty alpha-3 preparations
- chase down OOo bloat
- rebuild reverse-deps for libgnome-desktop-2-11 transition (NBS cleanup)
- start rebuild of libmagick10 reverse-deps, saving 2.1MB on the CDs
- 8.04.2 preparations
- follow through on pam-config-framework (LP: #275169)
- merge the latest pam from Debian (fixes LP: #256238)
- sponsor apport/pm-utils changes that let apport report on suspend/resume failures
- Monday archive duties