Tues Dec 08, 2015
This newsletter is to provide a status update from the Ubuntu Kernel Team. There will also be highlights provided for any interesting subjects the team may be working on.
Stefan found a regression where cryptsetup hangs in the Trusty proposed kernel
- Stefan and Luis worked together on finding and verifying the offending patch.
- Due to this regression, the following kernels had to be re-spun:
- trusty linux 3.13.0-72.115
- precise linux-lts-trusty 3.13.0-72.115~precise1
- vivid linux 3.19.0-40.45
- trusty linux-lts-vivid 3.19.0-40.45~14.04.1
The Kernel Team is backporting Hyper-V specific features, functionality and fixes from the v4.3 kernel to Wily.
- 14.04's HWE kernel will eventually change to Wily. This will bring improved performance, functionality and stability to the LTS kernels on Hyper-V.
Devel Kernel Announcements
Our Xenial master and master-next branch have both been rebased to v4.3. A v4.3 based kernel is now officially available for testing from the archive, linux-4.3.0-2.11. Please test and let us know your results. Our unstable repo has been rebased to track v4.4-rc4 in parallel. We will eventually transition both our Xenial master/master-next branches to v4.4 since that is our target kernel version for 16.04.
Stable Kernel Announcements
Status for the main kernels, until today:
Precise - Testing & Verification
lts-Trusty - Testing & Verification
Trusty - Testing & Verification
lts-Utopic - Testing & Verification
lts-Wily - Testing & Verification
Vivid - Testing & Verification
Wily - Testing & Verification
Current opened tracking bugs details:
For SRUs, SRU report is a good source of information:
Current cycle: 29-Nov through 19-Dec
- 27-Nov Last day for kernel commits for this cycle
- 29-Nov - 05-Dec Kernel prep week.
06-Dec - 12-Dec Bug verification & Regression testing.
13-Dec - 19-Dec Regression testing & Release to -updates.
Next cycle: 20-Dec through 09-Jan
- 18-Dec Last day for kernel commits for this cycle
- 20-Dec - 26-Dec Kernel prep week.
27-Dec - 02-Jan Bug verification & Regression testing.
03-Jan - 09-Jan Regression testing & Release to -updates.
- The current CVE status can be reviewed at the following link: