Meeting information

Meeting summary

California LoCo Team Re-Verification

The discussion about "California LoCo Team Re-Verification" started at 20:01.

Pennsylvania LoCo Team Re-Verification

The discussion about "Pennsylvania LoCo Team Re-Verification" started at 20:15.

General Announcements

The discussion about "General Announcements" started at 20:33.

Vote results

  • Pennsylvania LoCo Team Re-Verification

    • Motion carried (For/Against/Abstained 4/0/0)
  • California LoCo Team Re-Verification

    • Motion carried (For/Against/Abstained 4/0/0)

Action items

  • (none)

People present (lines said)

  • jose (54)
  • jedijf (36)
  • costales (28)
  • skellat (28)
  • meetingology (26)
  • pleia2 (26)
  • SergioMeneses (25)

  • jthan (2)
  • IdleOne (2)

  • phillw (1)
  • czajkowski (1)
  • waltman (1)
  • PabloRubianes (0)

Full Log

  • 20:00 <jose> #startmeeting LoCo Council October Meeting

    20:00 <meetingology> Meeting started Tue Oct 15 20:00:14 2013 UTC. The chair is jose. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.

    20:00 <meetingology>

    20:00 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired

    20:00 <costales> Let's go! Smile :)

    20:00 <jose> #voters costales skellat SergioMeneses PabloRubianes

    20:00 <meetingology> Warning: Nick not in channel: PabloRubianes

    20:00 <meetingology> Current voters: PabloRubianes SergioMeneses costales skellat

    20:00 <jose> #voters costales skellat SergioMeneses PabloRubianes jose

    20:00 <meetingology> Current voters: PabloRubianes SergioMeneses costales jose skellat

    20:00 <jose> #chair costales skellat SergioMeneses PabloRubianes jose

    20:00 <meetingology> Warning: Nick not in channel: PabloRubianes

    20:00 <meetingology> Current chairs: PabloRubianes SergioMeneses costales jose skellat

    20:01 <jose> so, let's check the agenda

    20:01 <phillw> lubuntu meeting will be held on #lubuntu-offtopic, I'll kill the person who double booked the room later!

    20:01 <jose> #topic California LoCo Team Re-Verification

    20:01 <pleia2> o/

    20:01 <jose> pleia2: you're the team contact, right?

    20:01 <pleia2> I am

    20:02 <costales> Hi pleia2 Smile :) Good luck!

    20:02 <pleia2> unfortunately due to timezones it's the middle of a weekday california time so everyone else is work/schooling right now

    20:02 <pleia2> (I'm on my lunch break Funny :))

    20:02 <jedijf> yay pleia2 20:02 * jedijf has your back

    20:02 <costales> bon appetit!

    20:02 <pleia2> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/VerificationApplication2013

    20:03 <jose> checking that now

    20:03 <costales> pleia2: Amazing amount of Ubuntu Hours! It's lovely to see how active you are!

    20:04 <jose> the same I wanted to say, it's great to see that amount of activity

    20:04 <pleia2> we really like ubuntu hours Smile :)

    20:04 <jose> may I ask, how many people show up around those?

    20:04 <pleia2> a lot of us are pretty busy, so it works out well

    20:04 <pleia2> I run the SF one, we tend to have 4-10 each time

    20:04 <costales> How does your team get people involved in running events?

    20:05 <SergioMeneses> hi guys

    20:05 <pleia2> we start folks off by getting them to do ubuntu hours, then recruit them to help out with bigger events like the southern california linux expo where we have ubucon and a booth each year

    20:05 * SergioMeneses hugs pleia2

    20:06 <costales> pleia2: great Smile :)

    20:06 * pleia2 hugs SergioMeneses

    20:06 <SergioMeneses> that is great!

    20:06 <skellat> pleia2: As a minor point, would it be possible to fix California's naming on LP to be in line with the faceted team naming standard for US teams? See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamHowto#For_the_United_States

    20:06 <pleia2> skellat: we were told we could keep it since it's legacy

    20:06 <costales> I see a really friendly team in the pictures Smile :)

    20:06 <SergioMeneses> pleia2, I want to know if you have problems in your team or something that you will share with us Smile :)

    20:06 <pleia2> we put it on a lot of our printed materials and things so switching now would be really painful for the team

    20:06 <skellat> pleia2: I can live with that then.

    20:07 <jose> we can make an exception

    20:07 <skellat> We'll need to update our guidelines to take that into account

    20:07 <skellat> It's a truly minor thing though

    20:07 <costales> yes skellat Wink ;)

    20:07 <pleia2> SergioMeneses: not really, always looking for more folks to be active but we do pretty well

    20:07 <jose> any more questions?

    20:07 <skellat> o/

    20:08 <jose> go for it

    20:08 <skellat> pleia2: What can we do as LoCo Council to serve Ubuntu California? How can we enable you, equip you, or otherwise make life easier for you at this time? How may we serve you best?

    20:08 <pleia2> skellat: I think we're doing ok Smile :) I know where to find you

    20:09 <jose> should we move on to voting, then?

    20:09 <skellat> I'm agreeable to that.

    20:09 <costales> It's OK for me Smile :)

    20:09 <SergioMeneses> pleia2, we are starting with a new process of verification, do you have comments about it? something to share about your experience working on it?

    20:10 <pleia2> SergioMeneses: it feels identical to reapproval Wink ;)

    20:10 <costales> hahaha

    20:10 <skellat> With luck that will change over time.

    20:10 <pleia2> having the loco team portal helps a ton though, I can just link to those past events instead of spending tons of time on a wiki page, which was alawys very tedios

    20:11 <jose> it's great to know that some teams find the tools useful

    20:11 <jose> anything else?

    20:11 <skellat> pleia2: One of my goals is to stress during these check-ins is that we are here to serve the local communities and to find out what needs are unmet that we can help fill. I'm not really worried about red tape but making sure everything is equipped for success.

    20:12 <pleia2> I just got a package delivered, my saucy shirt has arrived in time for our release party on thursday! Big Grin :)

    20:12 <pleia2> skellat: much appreciated, thank you

    20:12 <skellat> jose: I call for a vote

    20:12 <jose> that motion is in order

    20:12 <jose> #vote California LoCo Team Re-Verification

    20:12 <meetingology> Please vote on: California LoCo Team Re-Verification

    20:12 <meetingology> Public votes can be registered by saying +1, +0 or -1 in channel, (private votes don't work yet, but when they do it will be by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0 to me)

    20:13 <skellat> +1

    20:13 <meetingology> +1 received from skellat

    20:13 <costales> +1 Keep your awesome work team!

    20:13 <meetingology> +1 Keep your awesome work team! received from costales

    20:13 <jose> +1 Keep up that activity level, awesome!

    20:13 <meetingology> +1 Keep up that activity level, awesome! received from jose

    20:14 <SergioMeneses> +1 great work

    20:14 <meetingology> +1 great work received from SergioMeneses

    20:14 <jose> #endvote

    20:14 <meetingology> Voting ended on: California LoCo Team Re-Verification

    20:14 <meetingology> Votes for:4 Votes against:0 Abstentions:0

    20:14 <meetingology> Motion carried

    20:14 <pleia2> thanks everyone!

    20:14 <jedijf> congrats ca and pleia2

    20:14 <jose> congratulations! Smile :)

    20:14 <SergioMeneses> congrats guys!

    20:15 <jose> next up is...

    20:15 <costales> Congrats!!! Big Grin :)

    20:15 <czajkowski> well done Smile :)

    20:15 <SergioMeneses> pleia2, you're right the process is pretty similar but is the best way to get information from our teams and get in touch Smile :)

    20:15 <jose> #topic Pennsylvania LoCo Team Re-Verification

    20:15 <jedijf> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PennsylvaniaTeam/ReVerificationApplication2013

    20:15 <jedijf> hello council

    20:15 <costales> Hi jedijf !

    20:15 <skellat> Good afternoon jedijf!

    20:15 <jose> hey jedijf!

    20:16 <costales> Good luck team! Smile :)

    20:16 <skellat> What end of the Commonwealth are you located in jedijf?

    20:16 <jedijf> Philly side

    20:16 <SergioMeneses> hi ubuntu pennsylvania!

    20:16 <jedijf> southeastern - the only active area - pretty much, since inception

    20:16 <skellat> Okay, I spent some time living in Indiana County working at IUP and attended Clarion University of PA

    20:16 <SergioMeneses> jedijf, \o

    20:17 <pleia2> I was at fosscon with the PA team this summer, they did an awesome job with installs and fixups for folks who came by Smile :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/pleia2/9478617047/in/set-72157635045154436

    20:17 <jedijf> bhavani was there too!

    20:17 <jedijf> he was smitten with pastry

    20:18 <SergioMeneses> jedijf, I saw it

    20:18 * SergioMeneses wants to go

    20:18 <jedijf> come to 2014 - we're working on a venue right now

    20:19 <skellat> jedijf: How is activity doing beyond the southeastern portion of the state? Any signs of life or prospects to build upon?

    20:19 <skellat> I may be in Ohio but I'm only a short drive away from Erie if you want somebody to visit and speak perhaps

    20:19 <jedijf> skellat: not really, but as i was doing the reverification, i decided that over the next 2 years that roadtrips to LUGs to promote will be needed

    20:20 <skellat> That sounds good

    20:20 <jedijf> skellat: erie lug, last i heard is inactive

    20:20 <skellat> That sounds not so good

    20:20 <jose> so, I'm checking the LoCo Portal right now, and there aren't many events in there, why aren't you using it?

    20:20 <jedijf> jose: noted - also noted when mentioned to CA

    20:21 <jedijf> will add to administriva list

    20:21 <skellat> If it doesn't do what you need, what do you need it to do for you?

    20:21 <jose> or what do you use instead?

    20:21 <SergioMeneses> jedijf, you seem to be a good team but I dont see referents of the events to the locoteam portal http://loco.ubuntu.com/

    20:21 <jedijf> skellat: not that; merely an oversight

    20:21 <jedijf> SergioMeneses: that will be resolved moving forward

    20:22 <SergioMeneses> jedijf, sure! it is not a big deal, an advice

    20:22 <jedijf> the beauty and bain of multiple communication channels

    20:22 <skellat> Okay, wearing my hat as leader for Ubuntu Ohio I have already filed a few wishlist bugs against LoCo Portal myself as I don't like the way it does a few things

    20:22 <jedijf> after i use it, maybe i will do the same!

    20:22 <skellat> I encourage it

    20:23 <jose> it's a pretty useful tool which devs are keen in improving

    20:23 <jedijf> i did use the Ohio script though (member one)

    20:23 <costales> jedijf: Which type of events is working better in your team? Ubuntu Hours, Jams, Installfests...?

    20:23 <costales> Smile :)

    20:23 <jose> or maybe you do better at talks, roundtables, that stuff?

    20:23 <SergioMeneses> before vote, I want to know if you have any problem in your team or doubts, maybe we can help you

    20:23 <SergioMeneses> jedijf, ↑↑↑

    20:23 <jedijf> costales: fosscon is now our big event - given that we've been around so long, in the philly area, we are definitely a brand

    20:24 <costales> jedijf: Great Smile :)

    20:24 <costales> jedijf: Is a lot of work, right?

    20:24 <jedijf> our work with NTR, a computer repurposer, and the local hackerspaces, and the community in general - that's are biggest promotion

    20:25 <costales> I'm sure Big Grin :)

    20:25 <jedijf> costales: like pleia2 said - more bodies would be awesome

    20:25 <jose> jedijf: have you recently had any problems or inquiries on the team in which we can give a hand with?

    20:25 <skellat> jedijf: How may we serve your community so that you may achieve greater success?

    20:26 <jedijf> one thing, as i mentioned at the bottom of app is if you could pass on any information that you feel we need to get to the community

    20:26 <skellat> I talked to Jono Bacon about that a little at Ohio Linux Fest

    20:26 <jedijf> i can tell by our forums count there are many lurkers - hopefully they come out - but even if not, giving the info is vital

    20:27 <jose> it's something we're clearly working on, but we need to coordinate it a bit to get it done in a good way Smile :)

    20:27 <jedijf> they will come when the time suits them - just want to keep them engaged until then

    20:27 <skellat> Information gets tricky as we have to balance the business interests of Canonical and the wishes of the community

    20:27 <skellat> That is a matter on our agenda to discuss and take up with Mr. Bacon, though

    20:28 <jose> one last thing I wanted to mention

    20:28 <jedijf> this next 2 years my goal is to start Ubu hours and reach out to distant LUGs to create activity in other areas of the state

    20:28 <jedijf> jose: i'm sorry, go ahead

    20:28 <jose> as we've already said on the mailing list and to you, it would be good if we could get the name of the LP team changed to ~ubuntu-us-pa for it to follow the naming standards Smile :)

    20:29 <jedijf> jose: on it!

    20:29 <jedijf> no printed material

    20:29 <costales> jedijf: Great news! Big Grin :) I think it'd be very helpful

    20:29 <jedijf> so we're good

    20:29 <SergioMeneses> jose, agree

    20:29 <jedijf> yeah, it's even hard to find myself on the list Smile :)

    20:30 <jose> and if you could change the team's email to the mailing list address that'd be good too

    20:30 <jose> just so people can have contact info handy

    20:30 <jedijf> piece of cake

    20:30 <jose> thanks for the cooperation

    20:30 <costales> yes jedijf, thanks Smile :)

    20:31 <SergioMeneses> jedijf, \o/

    20:31 <jose> so, everyone's ready for a vote?

    20:31 <skellat> I call for a vote

    20:31 <SergioMeneses> skellat, agree

    20:31 <costales> I'm ready

    20:31 <jose> #vote Pennsylvania LoCo Team Re-Verification

    20:31 <meetingology> Please vote on: Pennsylvania LoCo Team Re-Verification

    20:31 <meetingology> Public votes can be registered by saying +1, +0 or -1 in channel, (private votes don't work yet, but when they do it will be by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0 to me)

    20:31 <skellat> +1

    20:31 <meetingology> +1 received from skellat

    20:31 <jose> +1

    20:31 <meetingology> +1 received from jose

    20:31 <costales> +1 Keep your amazing work team! Big Grin :)

    20:31 <meetingology> +1 Keep your amazing work team! Big Grin :) received from costales

    20:31 <SergioMeneses> +1 good work and good advices

    20:31 <meetingology> +1 good work and good advices received from SergioMeneses

    20:32 <jose> #endvote

    20:32 <meetingology> Voting ended on: Pennsylvania LoCo Team Re-Verification

    20:32 <meetingology> Votes for:4 Votes against:0 Abstentions:0

    20:32 <meetingology> Motion carried

    20:32 <jedijf> thank you council!

    20:32 <jose> congratulations!

    20:32 <costales> Congrats team!!!

    20:32 <costales> Well done!

    20:32 <IdleOne> yay jedijf and PA!

    20:32 <jthan> IdleOne: come back to PA

    20:32 <IdleOne> jthan: not gonna happen but I am there in spirit

    20:32 <pleia2> congrats PA Smile :)

    20:32 <SergioMeneses> congrats jedijf

    20:32 <jedijf> IdleOne: long time bud - thanks

    20:33 <jthan> IdleOne: <3

    20:33 <jose> keep up the good work, we're sure you'll get more people involved with advocacy Smile :)

    20:33 <waltman> Has anyone mentioned yet how awesome the PA ubuntu team is?

    20:33 <jose> #topic General Announcements

    20:33 <SergioMeneses> jedijf, pleia2 remember if you have a feedback for us, please let us know Smile :)

    20:33 <costales> waltman: +1 Smile :)

    20:33 <SergioMeneses> waltman, Smile :)

    20:35 <jose> first of all, we wanted to mention that we're here to help every team

    20:35 <jose> if any of you needs any help, advice, or even have feedback for us just let us know

    20:36 <jose> we're keen to improve ourselves, as well as our relationship with the teams

    20:36 <jose> then, we also wanted you to know that we have just opened a Twitter account, where we will be posting updates

    20:36 <jose> #LINK https://twitter.com/LoCoCouncil

    20:37 <jose> anything else to discuss, costales, SergioMeneses, skellat?

    20:37 <pleia2> fwiw, I'd love to see a blog post about teams that were (re)verified from the council, even if it's as simple as "congrats, here are links to their approval apps"

    20:37 <pleia2> err, verification Smile :)

    20:38 <jose> noted, will definitely do that in a while!

    20:38 <pleia2> I know there are teams doing great work, but I often don't know about it unless I read the logs, which I don't do

    20:38 <jose> (after I poke IS :P )

    20:38 <SergioMeneses> jose, I'm ok

    20:38 <skellat> jose: I have nothing further to dispose of at this meeting.

    20:38 <SergioMeneses> pleia2, we are working on it Big Grin :)

    20:38 <costales> pleia2: +1! Wink ;) We were talking about that Big Grin :)

    20:38 <pleia2> great Smile :)

    20:38 <jose> then, that's all for now, folks!

    20:39 <jedijf> pleia2: thinking uwn?

    20:39 <costales> Thanks jose. Great chat management!

    20:39 <jose> Smile :)

    20:39 <pleia2> jedijf: you know me

    20:39 <jedijf> Smile :)

    20:39 <jose> thanks everyone for coming, and congratulations to us-ca and us-pa!

    20:39 <jose> #endmeeting

Generated by MeetBot 0.1.5 (http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology)

LoCoCouncil/Minutes/20131015 (last edited 2013-10-15 21:06:55 by jose)