To be carried out by the Ubuntu release team
- Ship it!
After final Beta Release is published:
- Work with universe/multiverse community to identify delegates to approve Feature Freeze Exceptions, in addition to ubuntu-release until the date of Final Freeze for universe.
Set the Final Freeze date (typically at release day minus 1.5 days) for universe/multiverse for the packages that are NOT found on any installation media.
- Universe/multiverse delegates and final freeze date is broadcast to ubuntu-devel-discuss and ubuntu-devel-announce.
- Check the minimum memory, disk requirements for installation and:
- update bin/make-web-indices
Release minus 14 days:
NonLanguagePackTranslationDeadline, ensure uploads with updated translations downloaded from Rosetta are done for:
- ubiquity (debian-installer)
- yelp, gnome-user-docs and ubuntu-docs
- DDTP data (package description translations)
Notify Language Translation Lead (GunnarHj) and the current langpack-o-matic maintainer (sil2100) to coordinate a fresh set of language packs which will be exported, uploaded, and built in time for the release.
- If the new release is an LTS, make sure that hwe-support-status (located in update-manager) is up to date with the current HWE stack info, dates and versions.
Release minus 10 days:
If any image names have changed since the previous cycle, notify the web team (#web-team on canonical; email: email@example.com) to check the website downloader code. Ask the web team to review Release Manifest.
- Start off release notes and announce framework. Call for ubuntu-docs and other team participation in content creation of overview and documentation of release bugs.
Release minus 7 days (release candidate week):
- Selectively accept package uploads to resolve targeted bugs
Go through ReleaseChecklist (again, yes)
Review list of full iso image names and plans with web team (#web-team on canonical; email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Review full iso image sizing with cross check for mirror space issues with IS (Jonathan Davies)
Disable apport and kerneloops uploads to Launchpad ('problem_types': ['Bug', 'Package'], in /etc/apport/crashdb.conf)
You can reach out to BrianMurray if in doubt.
Notify Ubuntu, Kubuntu and other flavour contacts to create and update their Upgrade docs at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RaringUpgrades
Release minus 6 days:
- Contact the web team to confirm that:
website preparations are on-track; this includes preparing http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
update http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/derivatives (review flavors and translated languages)
- Post full set of pre-release images with last language pack updates to QA iso tracker to start QA testing.
- Turn off daily builds (unless explicit reason why they need to remain on).
Release minus 3 days:
Make sure that /etc/issue, /etc/issue.net, /etc/lsb-release, and /etc/os-release are correct
Modify debian-cd/CONF.sh to set OFFICIAL
- Ensure that the ISO tracker lists the new milestone with the "publish from manifest" flag set.
- Produce a full set of official images
- Clear out the testing grid
Clear the NBS list.
Notify QA to begin ReleaseValidationProcess
- Prepare the release announcement
- Notify Flavor Product Managers (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Budgie, Ubuntu Kylin) to prepare separate release announcements and review/update Release Notes.
- this should refer to the web page prepared by the teams rather than going into details of changes itself
- update the page to include any caveats
- Review targeted bugs and take final decisions on what to fix and what to defer
- Apply a "block-all source" hint to proposed-migration; any further changes to -proposed not intended for SRU will need to be unblocked manually
Release minus 1 day:
Pre-publish the CD images: ./publish-image-set --prepublish will print the necessary commands.
- Copy .manifest to .manifest.full, and prune all images from previous releases from the .manifest file to allow timely mirror probing
Run sync-mirrors on nusakan to push out the pre-published file structure.
- Begin running the mirror prober hourly on staging.ubuntu.com to monitor the propagation of the images to mirrors
- Review on the staging server the feature walk through on the website (web-team)
- Build the sources images (cron.source) to be published, by the publisher script.
Release minus 6 hours:
- If there is a previous milestone for this series, move those images from /srv/cdimage.ubuntu.com/www/full to /srv/cdimage.ubuntu.com/old-images/, and notify the sysadmin team that these are available for off-line archival.
Publish the CD images: ./publish-image-set will print the necessary commands.
You need to edit cdimage/www/simple/HEADER.html and cdimage/www/simple/.htaccess by hand to drop the mention of "Release Candidate", since neither publish-release nor publish-image-set is yet smart enough to do the right thing there.
- Copy .manifest to .manifest.full again, pruning all images from previous releases from the .manifest file to allow timely mirror probing
Run sync-mirrors on nusakan to push out the published file structure.
Update the Cloud images (IRC: cpc-help, fginther or rcj) - see checklist on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuCloud/Images/Publishing
- log into nectarine and start screen.
- run ~vmbuilder/bin/vbcron promote-daily release --make-public -release... /srv/ec2-images/server/maverick/20101007.1 --verbose
- log into amazon server and update the ami pages
Run the mirror prober continuously to verify which mirrors are up to date; output visible here
- Check torrents for proper functionality.
- Confirm that website content is finalized, as further edits will be difficult under load and check with sysadmin that caches will be cleared on time (web-team, IS, release-team).
Release minus 1 hour:
- Coordinate with web team for publishing of staging.
- Coordinate with PR team (Sian Aherne) to inform media who are waiting for launch to post their articles.
Update the topic on #ubuntu-devel, #canonical, and #ubuntu-release-party and make announcement in #ubuntu-release-announce, and then in #ubuntu-release-party.
Update the meta-release index (BrianMurray updates the bzr branch and update the meta-release* bzr branch (as user changelogs) on rubay /srv/changelogs.ubuntu.com/meta-release and copies updated files to /srv/changelogs.ubuntu.com/www)
Switch the development release from its codename to its version in errors/templates/bucket.html in errors
- Notify web team to announce on the website
- News sidebar
- Box at top of home page
Send the release announcement to ubuntu-announce.
Notify a Launchpad admin to set the status of this distrorelease to CURRENT, and to change any previous CURRENT distrorelease(s) to SUPPORTED.
- Deactivate release milestone in Launchpad.
Post announcement to News & Announcements section (forum admins have posting rights)
Branch lp:~ubuntu-release/britney/hints-ubuntu/ to lp:~ubuntu-sru/britney/hints-ubuntu-<thisrelease> (To ensure it's available before any 0-day SRUs are uploaded)
Release plus 1 day:
Continue on NewReleaseCycleProcess.
- Update Relevant community documentation with references to this new release
1 Review through the process pages, and update to the release name (e.g. oneiric->precise)
Release plus ~ 2 weeks:
Hold PostReleaseReview session at UDS, and feed input into updating processes, and next release cycle.