June 2013 Team Reports



  1. June 2013 Team Reports
    1. Ubuntu Governance
      1. Community Council
      2. Developer Membership Board
    2. 2013-06-03
      1. Review of previous action items
      2. Adjusting dynamic PPU to make being a DD and an Ubuntu Developer of any kind the prerequisite, instead of PPU.
      3. MOTU Application - Matt Fischer
      4. MOTU application - Dmitry Shachnev
      5. AOB
    3. 2013-06-17
      1. Review of previous action items
      2. Contributing Developer Application: Louis Bouchard
      3. AOB
      4. Forum Council
      5. IRC Council
      6. LoCo Council
      7. Membership Boards
      8. Technical Board
    4. Meeting 2013-06-24
      1. Attendees
      2. Notes
        1. Development series alias on archive.ubuntu.com and for uploads
        2. Packages linking against OpenSSL
        3. Micro release exceptions
        4. Topics for the next TB meeting
      3. Next meeting
    5. Ubuntu Development Teams
      1. Reviewers Team
      2. Xubuntu Team
      3. Ubuntu Studio
    6. Ubuntu LoCo Teams
      1. Argentina Team
      2. Asturian Team
      3. Australian Team
      4. Belgian Team
      5. Cameroonian Team
      6. Canadian Team
      7. Catalan Team
      8. China Team
      9. Chilean Team
      10. Ubuntu Colombia
      11. Czech Team
      12. Danish Team
      13. Dutch Team
      14. Ecuador Team
      15. French Team
      16. German Kubuntu Team
      17. Greek Team
      18. Honduras Team
      19. Hungarian Team
      20. Indian Team
      21. Ubuntu Ireland
      22. Ubuntu Israel
      23. Japanese Team
      24. Korean Team
      25. Montenegro Team
      26. Nicaraguan Team
      27. Norwegian team
      28. Philippine Team
      29. Quebec Team
      30. Romanian Team
      31. Russian Team
      32. Serbian Team
      33. South African Ubuntu team
      34. Swedish Team
      35. Swiss Team
      36. Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team
      37. Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team
      38. United States Teams
        1. US Teams Project
        2. Ubuntu California
        3. Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team
        4. District of Columbia Team
        5. Florida LoCo Team
        6. Iowa Team
        7. New York State Team
        8. Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team
        9. Ohio Team
        10. Oregon Team
        11. Pennsylvania Team
        12. Virginia Team
        13. Washington Team
        14. Wisconsin Team
      39. Ubuntu Venezuela Team
      40. Zimbabwe Team
    7. Additional Ubuntu Teams
      1. Ubuntu Accessibility Team
      2. Ubuntu Beginners Team
      3. Ubuntu Classroom Team
      4. Ubuntu NGO Team
      5. Ubuntu Women Team

If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.

Ubuntu Governance

Community Council

Developer Membership Board


Review of previous action items

The discussion about "Review of previous action items" started at 15:04.

  • bdrung to write up a short summary of sweetshark's recent sponsorship: Done

  • barry to conduct sweetshark ppu vote on ubuntu-dmb list: Done. We established that this hasn't been communicated yet. ACTION: barry to send outcome of sweetshark ppu vote

  • all: review separation of ppu from membership: Laney has posted a public version of a previously DMB-internal proposal at http://pad.ubuntu.com/dmb-ppu-membership-proposal - all DMB members and interested parties are encouraged to read/amend/comment before 2013-06-17. There are outstanding questions to be resolved, and tasks to be signed up for. ACTION: everyone read and amend http://pad.ubuntu.com/dmb-ppu-membership-proposal, and sign up for the implementation tasks.

Adjusting dynamic PPU to make being a DD and an Ubuntu Developer of any kind the prerequisite, instead of PPU.

The discussion about "Adjusting dynamic PPU to make being a DD and an Ubuntu Developer of any kind the prerequisite, instead of PPU." started at 15:08.

For this experimental procedure, we currently require DDs to be PPU already. This is an anomaly; we should just require applicants to be Ubuntu developers. Everyone present agreed without a formal vote.

  • ACTION: laney to update DD-PPU process to say that any ubuntu-dev is eligible

MOTU Application - Matt Fischer

The discussion about "MOTU Application - Matt Fischer" started at 15:14.

  • Vote: should mfisch join ~motu? (Carried)

  • Motion carried (For/Against/Abstained 6/0/0)

MOTU application - Dmitry Shachnev

The discussion about "MOTU application - Dmitry Shachnev" started at 15:50.

  • Vote: should mitya57 join ~motu? (Carried)

  • Motion carried (For/Against/Abstained 6/0/0)
  • ACTION: laney to add mfisch and mitya57 to motu


We received an enquiry from Daniel Pocock about getting upload rights. Laney was looking around for someone to reply. bdrung, being a sporting chap, volunteered.


Review of previous action items

  • barry to send outcome of sweetshark ppu vote: Done

  • everyone read and amend http://pad.ubuntu.com/dmb-ppu-membership-proposal, and sign up for the implementation tasks - much discussion, but there are remaining issues around membership requirements for packagesets. To be continued on the mailing list.

  • Laney to update DD-PPU process to say that any ubuntu-dev is eligible: Carried.

Contributing Developer Application: Louis Bouchard

  • Vote: should louis-bouchard join ~universe-contributors (Carried)

  • Motion carried (For/Against/Abstained 6/0/0)
  • ACTION: tumbleweed to add louis-bouchard to universe-contributors


  • None

Forum Council

An update from the Forums Council for June of 2013

We had a rather short meeting this month, and there weren't any issues that needed tending to, except the revised CofC.

Elfy has revised the forum Code of Conduct and the posting guidelines, we expect them to go live on July the 1st, 2013.

The only other item this month, was the division of the various task we do to keep the forum running from day to day.

IRC Council

LoCo Council

Membership Boards

Technical Board

Meeting 2013-06-24


  • Colin Watson
  • Dave Walker
  • Kees Cook
  • Matt Zimmerman
  • Soren Hansen
  • Stéphane Graber (chair)
  • Steve Langasek


Development series alias on archive.ubuntu.com and for uploads

During the last Ubuntu vUDS Rick Spencer was tasked with finding a good name for the new development series alias which would allow users to stick to whatever is the current development release (or to use it as an upload target). Rick came up with "rolling" as the suggested name. After a bit of discussion between the present TB members, it appears the members prefer "next" instead. The main concern about using "rolling" is added confusion with regard to the how Ubuntu is developed as it'd surely be interpreted by some as Ubuntu being on a Rolling Rlease schedule which it's not.

The Technical Board didn't make a final decision on the name though as Rick couldn't attend the meeting himself to defend his proposal. As a result, the Technical Board feels that Colin should go ahead with the implementation of the feature in Launchpad but not put it live until after our next meeting (8th of July) so to leave until that time for Rick to defend his proposal (on our mailing-list or at our next meeting) or for someone else to propose a better name. In any case, we expect to make a final decision on the matter on the 8th.

Packages linking against OpenSSL

Discussion is on-going on the Technical Board mailing-list about whether OpenSSL should be considered as "system library" allowing packages to link against it without the need to include a special exception in the license of the software. We expect to vote on this at our next meeting, discussing the various interpretations of the license on our mailing-list until then.

Micro release exceptions

Stefan Bader asked for a micro release exception for Xen, unfortunately nobody from the Technical Board had time to look into this and reply to his request but we expect this to move forward soon. There are some concerns regarding how much regression testing happens on Xen and whether this is enough for us or if we need to do more on our side. This discussion will be continued on our mailing-list.

Kees also brought up that we have a few "provisional" exceptions that should be reviewed to either become full MREs or be withdrawn.

Topics for the next TB meeting

Based on the above, the following will be discussed at our next scheduled meeting:

  • Final vote on the development series alias name
  • Final vote on the OpenSSL system library discussion
  • Review our current "provisional" Micro Release Exceptions

Meeting log: http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-06-24-20.10.log.html

Next meeting

  • 2013-07-08 21:00 London time (mdz to chair).

Ubuntu Development Teams

Reviewers Team

Xubuntu Team

Ubuntu Studio

Ubuntu LoCo Teams

Argentina Team

Asturian Team

Australian Team

Belgian Team

Cameroonian Team

Canadian Team

Catalan Team

  • Prepared the Catalan customized versions for the main flavors of version 12.10, uploaded them and linked them in ubuntu.cat
  • June 15th: mini install party in Barcelona because of a user request.
  • June 16th: irc meeting abut what to do for the next release party.

China Team

Chilean Team

Ubuntu Colombia

Czech Team

  • some small changes on G+ and FB profiles
  • new technical position on our Czech forum (František Zatloukal)
  • holiday Smile :)

Danish Team

Dutch Team

Ecuador Team

French Team

German Kubuntu Team

Greek Team

Honduras Team

Hungarian Team

Indian Team

Ubuntu Ireland

Ubuntu Israel

Japanese Team

Korean Team

Montenegro Team

  • Ongoing discussions on FB group and Forum
  • Blog/News feed reached 42 articles
  • 12 Jun 2013 - Article in daily newspaper Vijesti "Why (il)legal software?"
  • 19 Jun 2013 - Article in daily newspaper Vijesti "Why I use Linux"
  • 20 Jun 2013 - FLOSS presentation in American Corner in Pljevlja
  • 26 Jun 2013 - Released Linux Mint Official Guide translation in Montenegrin and Serbian
  • Stickers dissemination

Nicaraguan Team

Norwegian team

Philippine Team

Quebec Team

Romanian Team

Russian Team

Serbian Team

* Ubuntu hour - lectures for beginners were held in Belgrade haklab, every Tuesday.

* Sat, 08 June Presentation of Ubuntu 13.04 and corporation solutions at Youth Center Zaječar.

* Fri, 21 June Ubuntu users hanging out in Belgrade haklab.

* On Saturday 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23th and 30th June, Administration team meeting was held.

South African Ubuntu team

  • Mon, 17 June: Monthly IRC Meet (Postponed for the 24th -- Minutes

  • Mon, 24 June: Monthly IRC Meet -- Minutes

Swedish Team

2013-06-06: Team Contact launch the Ubuntu Sweden Podcast, link to the Internet Archive.

2013-06-19: Ordinary IRC meeting, link to minutes.

2013-06-23: The event "A Cup of Ubuntu" held in Linköping, link to blog post with picture.

Swiss Team

Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team

  • Ubuntu flash-coffee
    • 30-06-2013




Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team

United States Teams

US Teams Project

Ubuntu California

Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team

District of Columbia Team

Florida LoCo Team

Iowa Team

New York State Team

Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team

Ohio Team

Oregon Team

Pennsylvania Team

Virginia Team

Washington Team

Wisconsin Team

Ubuntu Venezuela Team

Zimbabwe Team

Additional Ubuntu Teams

Ubuntu Accessibility Team

Ubuntu Beginners Team

Ubuntu Classroom Team

Ubuntu NGO Team

Ubuntu Women Team

TeamReports/June2013 (last edited 2013-08-05 06:16:39 by lyz)