Read the Release Notes in your language:
Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS
Ubuntu GNOME is an official flavour of Ubuntu, featuring the GNOME desktop environment. Ubuntu GNOME is a mostly pure GNOME desktop experience built from the Ubuntu repositories. This is our very first Long Term Release (LTS) version.
Minimum System Requirements
- 1 GHz processor (for example Intel Celeron or better)
- 1.5 GB RAM (system memory)
- 7 GB of free hard drive space for installation
- Either a CD/DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media
- Internet access is helpful (for installing updates during the installation process).
Features of Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS
Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 is now an LTS (Long Term Support) release. This is our first LTS Release supported for 3 years.
- gnome-weather, gnome-maps, gnome-photos and gnome-music are all available to install from the archives.
With GNOME 3.10 comes enhanced support for online accounts, and some general optimization of the user interface.
A set of 10 new high-quality wallpapers are included. For more details, see Ubuntu GNOME Wallpaper Contest.
GNOME Classic session is included. To try it, choose it from the Sessions option on the login screen.
Point Releases in LTS
What are point releases in LTS releases?
- Short answer: the point release essentially contains the bug fixes the version has gone since it was released to the public, which includes security fixes, package updates, translation packs updates, etc.
LTS Enablement Stacks
- The Ubuntu LTS enablement stacks provide newer kernel and X support for existing LTS releases.
- These can be installed manually, or are automatically shipped if installing from 14.04.2 and newer release media.
LTS Enablement Stacks is based on the previous non-LTS release so 14.04.2 is after 14.10, 14.04.3 will be after 15.04, 14.04.4 will be after 15.10 and finally 14.04.5 will be after 16.04. There is no LTS Enablement Stacks with 14.04.1.
- These newer enablement stacks are meant for desktop and server use only, and not recommended for cloud or virtual images.
For further and more details, kindly do read this page.
Differences between 14.04 LTS and 14.04.2 LTS
Ubuntu GNOME 14.04.2 is released with Linux Kernel 3.16.
- Newer X support.
- Bug fixes and updated packages.
The current users of Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS already installed will automatically get 14.04.2 without the LTS Enablement Stacks. If they want that, they have to manually install the meta packages - please see this link.
With new installation of Ubuntu GNOME 14.04.2 from installable media with Ubuntu GNOME 14.04.2 will automatically get LTS Enablement Stacks enabled by default.
Ubuntu GNOME 14.04.2 with LTS Enablement Stacks enabled by default will be supported until August, 2016. Ubuntu GNOME without LTS Enablement Stacks enabled by default will be supported until April, 2017.
- Users with LTS Enablement Stacks enabled by default need to manually upgrade their system to 14.04.5 when it is available.
PLEASE DO ASK/CONTACT US if you are in doubt and/or the above notes are NOT clear/confusing.
Applications in Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS
GNOME Shell. The GNOME desktop environment from where you can search and start applications, switch between windows, etc.
Nautilus (File Manager). An easy to use file manager for organizing your documents, music, pictures, videos and files in general.
Firefox Web Browser. Browse the web with one of the most popular fast, flexible and secure web browsers.
LibreOffice. Create professional documents, spreadsheets, presentations and even more with the open-source office suite.
gedit (Text Editor). A small and lightweight text editor for the GNOME desktop environment.
Ubuntu Software Center. Lets you browse and install thousands of free and paid applications available for Ubuntu.
Tweak Tool. Change advanced settings – appearance, fonts, keyboard and mouse, windows and workspaces. Install extensions, set power options, select startup applications.
Personal Package Archives (PPAs)
PPAs for Ubuntu GNOME can be found on this link.
screen giberish (1307776)
Virtualbox guest gets only up to resolution of 640x480 (1368784)
No live DE in Vivid using nouveau w/GeForce 7025/nForce 630a (1412602)
For more details, please see this link.
Ubuntu Release Notes
For common issues with Ubuntu, please refer to the Ubuntu release notes.
Get Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS
DOWNLOAD Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS.
DOWNLOAD Ubuntu GNOME 14.04.1 LTS.
DOWNLOAD Ubuntu GNOME 14.04.2 LTS.